• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

GetGamesGo Christmas dailies:
  • Red Faction Franchise 85% off
  • Bioshock Infinite 75% off
  • Darksiders Franchise 85% off
  • Gauntlet 50% off

Off topic stuff hidden here =p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Surprised so many have shovel knight in contention for game of the year. While it was a good game, I felt it was a rather by the numbers mega man style game. Was good, but nothing mind blowing or anything.

I can't imagine it being more overrated than Rogue Legacy, last year's GOTY.

How's everyone gonna celebrate their holidays
in front of my laptop, browsing gaf

if i feel snazzy maybe even play something. else watch a movie/tv
Free Cities in Motion from Paradox newsletter :D Nice :D
any link where i can get this newsletter?
woah. this looks really great!
It is sad that firs game i bought this Holiday sale was Hitman GO for Android :(
it was given for free on ign a couple months ago for ipad afair. looks kinda good tbh. reminds me of kill the bad guy on steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finally got a day off work to play games. Promptly played Super Win the Game to 100% completion and then played through The Counting Kingdom. Awww yeah.

Went to start on "May's Mysteries", which the exceedingly generous Lain gifted me, and found I couldn't find it in my client. The reason? The title includes a smart apostrophe, like what Microsoft Word uses, so "May's" gave me no results, because the client wants an exact match.

Submitted a request to the dev to fix their game's title:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/327650/discussions/0/619574421589174731/

Submitted a ticket to Valve to request that they make the client not suck buckets of baked lard:
s7ezpy3.png

I'm back, BABY

Turfster

GamesPlanet has the Company of Heroes Franchise Edition 70% off and Sherlock Holmes Crime and Punishment 40% off

Games Republic new deals:
  • AI War Collection 80% off
  • Skyward Collapse Complete 80% off
  • The Last Federation 66% off
  • Bionic Dues 75% off
  • Valley Without Wind 1&2 75% off
  • Tidalis 75% off
  • Shattered Haven 75% off

I'm back, BABY

Huzzah!

Finally got a day off work to play games. Promptly played Super Win the Game to 100% completion and then played through The Counting Kingdom. Awww yeah.

Went to start on "May's Mysteries", which the exceedingly generous Lain gifted me, and found I couldn't find it in my client. The reason? The title includes a smart apostrophe, like what Microsoft Word uses, so "May's" gave me no results, because the client wants an exact match.

Submitted a request to the dev to fix their game's title:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/327650/discussions/0/619574421589174731/

Submitted a ticket to Valve to request that they make the client not suck buckets of baked lard:
s7ezpy3.png

I'm back, BABY

Welcome back! What are your thoughts about Super Win the Game?

autoduelist

My wife loves hidden object games.

Anyone know if there are any good ones on Steam that are currently on deep sale (.99ish would be nice, so I can pick up a couple). She especially likes the ones that have other puzzles in between levels.

I was looking through the 'other games on sale' on steam db, but there are just so many that i haven't heard of, and researching every game on steam individually is maddening.

C4rter

If you go to the search page you can uncheck "Items you own" in the "Hide" menu on the right hand side. Currently there is a bug that isn't limiting this to search results. Hopefully I'll have that patched up in the next version.

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. Feeling a little stupid now that I did not see that myself.^^

derExperte

My wife loves hidden object games.

Anyone know if there are any good ones on Steam that are currently on deep sale (.99ish would be nice, so I can pick up a couple). She especially likes the ones that have other puzzles in between levels.

I was looking through the 'other games on sale' on steam db, but there are just so many that i haven't heard of, and researching every game on steam individually is maddening.

Take a look at these: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Artifex Mundi sp. z o.o..

Played through Ground Zeroes today. First time ever playing MGS and it was... quite interesting. My first instinct was to clear the map of all enemies so I got started doing that. Somewhere along the way I got spotted, of course, and all hell broke loose. I fought about five waves of reinforcements before it finally dawned on me that the game has infinitely respawning enemies. That's when I got out of there and decided to continue towards the mission goal.

Along the way I melee a guard and carry his body to hut so that it doesn't get spotted. I then head back to where he was and spend some time in general vicinity trying to tag enemies and watch their patrolling patterns. Imagine my surprise when they guy I took out comes running past me from behind a little while later. I actually went to check if it was in fact that guy or whether someone had spawned behind me. Turns out enemies in MGS are only incapacitated for a short time. Another thing I didn't know.

I eventually ended up finishing the mission. It took me about 90 minutes when it really was only 20 minutes or so. I liked the gameplay though, and the level of polish was incredible. Really well done PC port as well. The side missions you unlock after finishing it once are basically returning on the same map to find shit or destroy shit. Let's be honest, this is nothing more than a demo. I'm glad I paid only $9 for it.

Anyway, moving on, has anyone managed to get summoning to work reliably on Dark Souls after the Steamworks patch? I want to go through the game with a friend. Is there any mod for this like there used to be for GFWL?

Turfster

Indiegala Store deals
  • The Dark Eye Chains of Satinav 80% off
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2 75% off
  • Shan Gui 66% off
  • Scratches 90% off
  • Darkest Hour 80% off
  • Larva Mortus 90% off
  • Thunder Wolves 50% off
  • Expeditions Conquistador 50% off
  • WRC 4 75% off
  • MXGP 70% off
  • Lifeless Planet 50% off
  • Blockstorm 60% off
  • Mechanic Escape 70% off
  • Whispering Willows 50% off
  • Planet Alcatraz 75%
  • Call Of Juarez 50% off
  • Yury 50% off
  • Victim of Xen 69% off
  • Arsenal of Democracy 80% off
  • War of the Human Tanks 60% off
  • Wasteland 25% off
  • Life is Feudal 25% off
  • Disciples reincarnation 50% off
  • A Game of Dwarves 75% off

The "free game" is uh... Afterfall Insanity (just enter your email), and you get Afterfall Reconquest Episode 1 if you spend at least 8€! (it's no This War of Mine for 24€, that's for sure)

More off topic free Android stuff for everyone that might care hidden in this post. Quote to reveal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When they add the 3k badge you will already need the 5k one.

I was hoping to hit 4K by the end of the sale but I won't quite have the budget for it since the games I need to close the relatively small gap (about 90 or so, maybe less -- I won't know my exact budget until next Monday) are all 25% off or less, which blows up the cost significantly: it'd cost me almost the same to get from ~3900 to 4000 as it's going to cost me to to get from where I am now to ~3900.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
can you minimize to tray?

that would be pretty neat

Yes, there will be an option that will let you minimize it to the tray. There will also be a "skip" button if you want to manually move Idle Master on to the next game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyway, moving on, has anyone managed to get summoning to work reliably on Dark Souls after the Steamworks patch? I want to go through the game with a friend. Is there any mod for this like there used to be for GFWL?
summoning is borked right now

i've been walking in human mode for a while in anor londo trying to be invaded and nothing

no twinkers in undead burg either

online is super dead cos they apparently forgot to set region locks to "off" after their tests or something

Yes, there will be an option that will let you minimize it to the tray. There will also be a "skip" button if you want to manually move Idle Master on to the next game.
sweet

now only thing you need is a theme song to play in the background

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What are your thoughts about Super Win the Game?

Like You Have to Win The Game, it's really good and it's refreshing to play a platformer with no combat, just avoidance. It's also pretty compelling to collect all the loot and 100% it. Unlike You Have to Win the Game, it's not one big world--it's a Zelda 2 style top-down overworld with different connected segments. This is a mixed bag. On the one hand, it's pretty cool going around the world and I had a good time with it. On the other hand, it makes the Metroidvania elements even more backtracky. I would say the game is easier to beat but harder to speedrun or beat without dying, which I don't really think is a good change. This leaves me in the awkward position of saying that although I recommend both games, I think the You Have to Win the Game (Free) is better than Super Win the Game ($12.99 regularly). But if you've already beat the free one and are looking for more, you won't go wrong here.

Plus, since the game costs money you can actually get the card drops and craft the badge, LOL.

Great news! ...So what kept you?

Life.

My video game playing since August:
- Beat the last episode of The Wolf Among Us
- An hour or two of Crossy Road on iOS
- Never Alone (thanks to CosmicQueso)
- An hour or two of Jackbox Party Pack streams I found on Steam broadcasting.

... and that's it until this weekend.

JaseC

These are some good ones. I posted impressions of a few several days ago.

Oddly enough, I did a quick check on the Mystery Case Files games, and none of them have prices on Steam. Were they pulled?

Big Fish didn't update their prices with the newly-introduced currencies, so they're only available in Europe and regions that use USD.

Edit: Oh, and Brazil.

Just a word of caution.
If anyone here wants to apply the restoration patch on 'if my heart had wings', better get a backup of the whole game. I think it's a bit unoptimized for the steam version, experienced borked animations, game hangs and more. It can seriously mess your installed files.

For now, I'm back to the neutered Steam release and will just wait for a new patch.

Annubis

General Steam question here.

I want to submit a guide and I'm currently working on it.

Is it better to complete it and then post it or is posting it and updating it as I go a valid option?

The guide is for a game with no guide available anywhere on the Internet, which is why I'd like to at least have something there for others as I continue working on it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Is it better to complete it and then post it or is posting it and updating it as I go a valid option?

The guide is for a game with no guide available anywhere on the Internet, which is why I'd like to at least have something there for others as I continue working on it.

I've seen both, but make sure if you submit something in progress that you title it clearly so people don't get aggro when they click through and find the guide isn't done.

Well, I'm Canadian, so I guess that explains that.

If there are any Big Fish games you want, I can accept Paypal (exact USD prices including any Paypal fees, no markup) and cross-region gift them to you.

JaseC

I don't see a problem with posting a WIP guide. Just title it as such and mention when it was most recently updated. I've not posted a guide myself but I assume, once it's done, you can update the title.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
BloodRayne is not available in Brazil. If I knew that, I would have gotten them in the Bundles they were part of.

Now, with the imminent removal of them from the system, I'm a little worried...

I was hoping to hit 4K by the end of the sale but I won't quite have the budget for it since the games I need to close the relatively small gap (about 90 or so, maybe less -- I won't know my exact budget until next Monday) are all 25% off or less, which blows up the cost significantly: it'd cost me almost the same to get from ~3900 to 4000 as it's going to cost me to to get from where I am now to ~3900.

The death of the Russian bear muddied my plans as well. I got more stuff from the auction thing than I did from the sale. Hopefully they'll discount those games you are looking for by a meatier margin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom