• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

Missed this one. How is the emulation/port quality on these, generally?

Merry Christmas!

I only have the first pack myself, and I'm not an expert on pixel-perfect emulation, but I think they're generally good ports. If I remember correctly, they support the 360 controller out of the gate, which is nice.

The whole collection is on sale at Amazon for $5.99 (that's for all 5 Steam keys).

autoduelist

Meanwhile on console side:
p
jy8ofOfHMr0yu.png

Is this really necessary? Plenty of people choose to spend slightly more on games so they can slide by on a less expensive console for 5-10 years w/o worrying about hardware. News at 11.

Heck, I often
double dip
buy games knowing I can get them cheaper on Steam, but would prefer to play them on my vita or console for various reasons.

Wait until they bring up all the "free" games on PSN that they didn't pay a dime for.

I love my ps+ subscription. It's not like we don't know they aren't technically 'free', it's just shorthand. Just like my wife calls all of our netflix movies on demand 'free', even though we pay a sub for them.

I'd really rather come to this thread and see all of us sharing in our hobby, rather than (intentionally or not) ridiculing others who game on different devices or chose to spend our money in different ways.

Thinking of picking up Total War: Shogun 2. What say you GAF? It seems to have reviewed really well, but I'm curious if it holds up.
I'm not the biggest fan of the series myself, but I know two of my buddies have put 242 and 173 hours respectively. They still play today and seem to enjoy it.

Do you always need to install older versions of Microsoft redistributables when the games ask for them on first launch? I'm starting fresh on Windows 8.1 and I can't help but feel a little icky and paranoid about old libraries messing something in my Windows. I always try to avoid "bloating" my OSes.

Also, so

I only have the first pack myself, and I'm not an expert on pixel-perfect emulation, but I think they're generally good ports. If I remember correctly, they support the 360 controller out of the gate, which is nice.

The whole collection is on sale at Amazon for $5.99 (that's for all 5 Steam keys).

Sounds good. Thanks.

MUnited83

For you.
Is this really necessary? Plenty of people choose to spend slightly more on games so they can slide by on a less expensive console for 5-10 years w/o worrying about hardware. News at 11.

Heck, I often
double dip
buy games knowing I can get them cheaper on Steam, but would prefer to play them on my vita or console for various reasons.

I love my ps+ subscription. It's not like we don't know they aren't technically 'free', it's just shorthand. Just like my wife calls all of our netflix movies on demand 'free', even though we pay a sub for them.

I'd really rather come to this thread and see all of us sharing in our hobby, rather than (intentionally or not) ridiculing others who game on different devices or chose to spend our money in different ways.

I agree on both points. I often double dip on games that I got on PC(many even through humble bundles) on my Vita. Completely worth it, as Vita is my main gaming device. I don't usually mind the extra cost that picking games on Vita implies, as it's where I will enjoy and play the most. Hell, I bought the PC version and Vita version of Rayman Legends. I paid <6$ for the PC version and 23$ for the Vita one. Never even installed it on PC and completed it on Vita.

And regarding PS+, it's hard to say anything negative on my end. As a Vita player and thanks to cross-buy, I've been receiving lots and lots of great games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you always need to install older versions of Microsoft redistributables when the games ask for them on first launch? I'm starting fresh on Windows 8.1 and I can't help but feel a little icky and paranoid about old libraries messing something in my Windows. I always avoided trying to "bloat" my OSes.

You may not need them, but they are recommended, for similar reasons as explained here in regard to DirectX specifically. That being said, you can skip the installation of prereqs by deleting installscript.vdf, which you can find in the folder containing the game's redist installers.

Do you always need to install older versions of Microsoft redistributables when the games ask for them on first launch? I'm starting fresh on Windows 8.1 and I can't help but feel a little icky and paranoid about old libraries messing something in my Windows. I always avoided trying to "bloat" my OSes.

Also, so

Sounds good. Thanks.

Yes, each redisributal that Steam installs as part of the installation process is unique in terms of its 3d library.

Some MS employee explained it, but yes you have to have it even if Direct X is up to date.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Yes, each redisributal that Steam installs as part of the installation process is unique in terms of its 3d library.

Some MS employee explained it, but yes you have to have it even if Direct X is up to date.

Use this steam cleaner if you're OCD
http://steamcleaner.tikione.org/en/

You may not need them, but they are recommended, for similar reasons as explained here in regard to DirectX specifically. That being said, you can skip the installation of prereqs by deleting installscript.vdf, which you can find in the folder containing the game's redist installers.

Oh wow, I would have never guessed that they're even needed for Direct X. I learned something today.

Although I just installed Dead Space and it wanted to download an older Direct X and something else but it didn't (or I didn't let it, not sure :/) and it still seemed to run fine.

Use this steam cleaner if you're OCD
http://steamcleaner.tikione.org/en/

Thanks.

You would think people on an enthusiast site like Neogaf would know that, but it got brought up a lot of times in PC vs console threads, as a counter argument to "PC saves you money".

yuraya

Heck, I often
double dip

I don't get what the big deal is or why people getting so sensitive.

I picked up Shadow Warrior for $1 in last months steam sale because of stacked coupon.

hd1ufmp.png

And so did a lot of other people here n elsewhere. Even without the coupon it was only $4.

The fact that console gamers are paying 17 times as much (in euros) for the same exact game is just batshit crazy. Its more of an informative post to be aware of and less about making fun of some individual.

Turfster

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Origin has a Sims 4 Holiday Celebration pack for free

GOG has The Ultimate Ultima Bundle 80% off (get this if you don't have it yet)

Games Planet has a Flash sale on Skyrim Legendary 66% off

Mac Game Store has Jagged Alliance:Flashback 80% off

Amazon has Metro Last Light Redux and The Amazing Spiderman 75% off

Yeah. RPGs are pretty dangerous for me :p
And I thankfully haven't found a MMO that I like, after DAoC that is. That game was awesome and so were my guild mates :)
But I was also absent because my colleague was gracious enough to come to work and get us all sick. Thankfully the cold is gone now. But it was a pretty strong cold. It lasted a week. Crazy o_O
get well soon then!
at least you didn't get noro virus while working retirement home and puked 10 hours straight. and when i say straight i mean puke regularly every 5-10mins. yes even during sleep -_-

Ruruja

Merry Christmas Turfster, thanks for your updates throughout the year. I always look out for your posts with the latest deals on, don't tell lashman though. :p

Phinor

These sound like Karl Pilkington Rockbusters clues.

That's a nice comparison and it's rare to see anyone still mention Rockbusters and that Merchant/Gervais/Pilkington XFM show. It was fantastic and I still listen to all of them every few years. Which reminds me, maybe it's time to open that folder again...

The_Monk

Merry Christmas Turfster, thanks for your updates throughout the year. I always look out for your posts with the latest deals on, don't tell lashman though. :p

Indeed, thank you so much Turfster for bringing us awareness of such good deals as well informative posts regarding many, many discounts. A great GAFfer indeed!

My first run through of Ground Zeroes netted me an A rank. Not too bad I think. Time to improve!

That cut scene on the chopper right after with Paz though.....damn.

Alavard

It's good news for my backlog that I seem to be playing stuff that I've bought during this sale already. My philosophy is that if I've finished most games I bought in a sale by the time the next sale comes around, I'm in good shape.

I'm now halfway through The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and it's quite the game. Beautiful graphics, interesting storyline, cool themes. I know the gameplay is specifically about not holding your hand, but I think I would have preferred a little more direction. It's kind of weird to miss a puzzle, and then go back later and complete it, to get some narration/information out of order with what you already know. But, I'm having a lot of fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
SteamGAF, you guys are amazing! Thanks especially to MMBosstones86 for Boot Hill Heroes. I had this on my wishlist and was planning on picking it up before the sale ends (waiting for the dailies, like a bastard)

lTK9FSm.png

I have about 2 weeks off of work starting in about 3 hours, and I'm looking forward to getting some serious gaming done (as well as working on some new Enhanced Steam features and hopefully releasing an improved Idle Master).

Anyway, I can't wait to play this because I've heard it's a good homage to Earthbound and the Mother series, of which I just finished playing Mother 2 not too long ago. When I'm done I'll be sure to post my impressions here!

My first run through of Ground Zeroes netted me an A rank. Not too bad I think. Time to improve!

That cut scene on the chopper right after with Paz though.....damn.

She can't help but
being used by all forces at play, even to the end. Whether you believe that she was a triple agent out of self-preservation or if that statement was still part of the ruse could color your impression, though.
As much flak as Kojima gets for his nuttier or plain ridiculous (Johnny Sasaki) characters, he gets credit for stirring emotions for a character who
has double-crossed you at nearly every turn, causing irreparable harm and peril to Boss and Kaz's vision.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just thinking about these two makes me never want to replay Dark Souls
i only tried them once and got smough and then mega ornstein to like 60%

i was already a bit low on flasks since i had killed lautrec before, so started with 7 i think

i'll prolly get them in a few more tries, like everything in dark souls they're not that hard if you just keep it cool

Trying to block against them was asking for trouble even with a shield, iirc.
yeah, but having the option, specially against ornstein was useful

but they're generally easy to dodge, so it's ok

Gaping Dragon conquered, now onto *shudder* Blighttown...

Thinking about it, there's only one thing that would make Blighttown worse than it already is. Those guys:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...Headcrab_poison.jpg/250px-Headcrab_poison.jpg

fuck those guys -__-

autoduelist

I don't get what the big deal is or why people getting so sensitive.

The fact that console gamers are paying 17 times as much (in euros) for the same exact game is just batshit crazy. Its more of an informative post to be aware of and less about making fun of some individual.

You're calling other people's actions 'batshit crazy' in the same paragraph that you're saying it's just 'informative' and not making fun of people.

Rather than assuming they're ignorant, stupid, or crazy, consider that they might prefer to play the game on a console and the 'tax' is worth it to them.

Is the High Resolution Texture Pack for Skyrim included in the original download of the game (like "on disc DLC")? Because when I "installed" it from the store it told me to launch the game and it will be there, and there were no prompts or download options from the game about it. So it's automatically and instantly enabled?

bigzgod

When I like something alot that its coming up I get into PR mode.(Wish these companies paid me for my promo since I do better promo than them) You should have seen Abyss Odyssey and Dark Souls.

You really should be paid. I picked up DOA mostly because of your gifs and promo :D

Ironically, I just picked up Abyss Odyssey a few days ago as well, during your promos of DOA.

Is the High Resolution Texture Pack for Skyrim included in the original download of the game (like "on disc DLC")? Because when I "installed" it from the store it told me to launch the game and it will be there, and there were no prompts or download options from the game about it. So it's automatically and instantly enabled?
Is it in you library?

Merry Xmas you guys! Here's some coal
?
!
ModBot said:
Instructions for NightmareTrigger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955066.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Into the Dark -- MB-BB16BF421311162F - Taken by crazyrabbits. 5 entrants total.

t1419450186z1.png

Being sick over the holiday sucks. Here I am a thousand miles away from my pc and burning up with fever. At least I have a 3 DS to keep me entertained. I hope you all have a good steam sale!

AC Unity is 50% off at the Ubi store. Surprised it's at half off already.

Looks like it's the lowest it's been.
Sorry I'd rather have that 3D Primark as my benchmark / demo tool, and that was 75% off.
``````````````````````````````````````
A delayed Merry christmas from the most populous timezone of the world.
I can also do Xmas gifs

Your gifs (pronounced as JIFs) are the best gifts this xmas.

sensoft04

Banned

Merry Christmas! Thanks for all your updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom