• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadaver

How does Steam start the old Doom games?

There are .bat files and the game seems to run in Dosbox. Does anyone know what command Steam actually uses to start the game? I want to start the game with a custom engine using steam.

milena87

Most people probably have them by now, but I bought the pack from Nuuvem, so...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955066.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (milena87, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Batman Arkham Origins -- MB-F40CBB9EE124FF7D - Taken by topyy. 7 entrants total.
Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-CA2A5A507C991B43 - Taken by Dragon1893. 5 entrants total.

t1419422525z1.png

derExperte

It's pretty redundant to complain about Bioware points but for fucks sake, 1200 which I need for one single ME3 DLC are 12€. Are you fucking shitting me? I'd need to pay 32€ for all the additional story stuff. Even half of that would feel too much, makes Bethesda's DLC discount policy look generous.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How does Steam start the old Doom games?

There are .bat files and the game seems to run in Dosbox. Does anyone know what command Steam actually uses to start the game? I want to start the game with a custom engine using steam.

Steam runs the DOSBox executable with some launch arguments. You can see which by looking up the apps in SteamDB. For example, Ultimate Doom with the "new" controls (i.e. mouse support) is: dosbox.exe -conf base\ultimatem.conf -fullscreen -exit.

abracadaver

Steam runs the DOSBox executable with some launch arguments. You can see which by looking up the apps in SteamDB. For example, Ultimate Doom with the "new" controls (i.e. mouse support) is: dosbox.exe -conf base\ultimatem.conf -fullscreen -exit.

Can you make it ignore the "-conf base\ultimatem.conf -fullscreen -exit"?

Knurek

Gaping Dragon conquered, now onto *shudder* Blighttown...

Thinking about it, there's only one thing that would make Blighttown worse than it already is. Those guys:
250px-Headcrab_poison.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can you make it ignore the "-conf base\ultimatem.conf -fullscreen -exit"?

Nope. Even making your own DOSBox.exe that runs the rennamed proper one with your own arguments doesn't work as it seems the arguments that Steam uses gets in the way.

Pranay

Huniepop Sex Gameplay (NSFW OBVIOUSLY, but in sound only. So keep the volume low)

--No, console prices :)

Yeah, we're pretty much the gamer version of Scrooge McDuck.

I am insulting this person by making fun of the contrast of console prices to pc prices that is very real? I don't think so. I have a Vita myself which I love and buy sometimes expensive games for.

Its still a rude thing to quote other members, you could had simply posted the prices of the sales and laughed at it in comparision, that would had been better imo.

Ruruja

Today, I celebrate seven years of being on Steam . Through it I have discovered many a game I would never have learnt about or tried without the service, I discovered new ways of playing a game from it's community discussions, I have laughed and smiled and frowned from different screen shoots, and I discovered the true meaning of "every time improve protection Steam Guard".

However much of that only really started to occur when I discovered SteamGAF and began to lurk. It never fully gained, if you pardon the pun, steam until I started to talk in these threads. I never had as much fun going through the Activity Feed or gifting games as I do now when I became friends with many of you whether we are on Steam friend list or not.

So to each and all, if we have talked or not, if you have posted or shared at all, because of all the impressions and reviews; thank you for being a wonderful community and helping make the past two years of Steam use the best of them all.

Piss off you Pinball Wizard.

Nice post :)

Someone deleted my Steamapps folder as a xmas gift to me. I've only managed to find backups of half of them. Fuck those bastards, making me download 100gb with a capped internet. Atleast I found my O2mania backup, a forgotten DJMAX dvd with the usb thingy, and tons of Mangagamer DVDs. Atleast I'll be rocking this xmas thanks to them. Fly magpie!

fantomena

Grim Fandango PC will release on the same time as the PS4/Vita version right? Cause Game Informer only has this:

Grim Fandango (PS4, Vita) - January 27

And Im not sure if I am able to play a point 'n' click game on a console.

Nabs

Grim Fandango PC will release on the same time as the PS4/Vita version right? Cause Game Informer only has this:

Yeah. Same time.

Beelzebubs

Bundle extra. No rules.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Beelzebubs, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Pixel Hunter -- MB-D5BEFF1643BCDDF2 - Taken by ussjtrunks

dex3108

So i decided to finally play and finish GTA IV (i tried at least 3-4 times) and when i started it i remembered why i gave up last time. That piece of sh*t is buggy and ugly as hell. Last time i tried to finish it i couldn't because there was a game breaking glitch half way through game that caused no missions on map. Now i am playing from beginning again and with my new graphic card this ugly game is still unoptimized garbage. FPS is from 30 to 120, texture issues all over the place, pop in etc.

Berto

So i decided to finally play and finish GTA IV (i tried at least 3-4 times) and when i started it i remembered why i gave up last time. That piece of sh*t is buggy and ugly as hell. Last time i tried to finish it i couldn't because there was a game breaking glitch half way through game that caused no missions on map. No i am playing from beginning again and with my new graphic card this ugly game is still unoptimized garbage. FPS is from 30 to 120, texture issues all over the place, pop in etc.
I really enjoyed it at the time, but yeah its a really ugly game, so brown and grey. It didn't age well.

Anteater

So i decided to finally play and finish GTA IV (i tried at least 3-4 times) and when i started it i remembered why i gave up last time. That piece of sh*t is buggy and ugly as hell. Last time i tried to finish it i couldn't because there was a game breaking glitch half way through game that caused no missions on map. No i am playing from beginning again and with my new graphic card this ugly game is still unoptimized garbage. FPS is from 30 to 120, texture issues all over the place, pop in etc.

yeah, I ended up just locking it at 30fps, mod it and downsampling it, it wasn't worth it to mess with the draw distance sliders because it just makes the pop-ins even worse and it still doesn't really hold a consistent 60fps on my machine. Game plays kind of bad with a controller too because the camera is terrible when you're in cover (it auto adjusts itself all the time), then there's the mash a button to run, bad mission structure with lack of checkpoints, rubber banding AIs, etc. Not really a good experience. The DLCs were actually better but I already played enough of the game when I was a quarter way through gay tony. I did enjoy the lost and the damned.

Ruruja

I will stop the frenzy for now, I promise!
By the way, are there any sites that check the games on your wishlist and inform you when they get a discount?

Steam does that itself. It should email you when a game on your wishlist goes on sale, although it's a little slow to do it.

EDIT: NingenJanai'd

gngf123

I will stop the frenzy for now, I promise!
By the way, are there any sites that check the games on your wishlist and inform you when they get a discount?

Steam does this by itself. (EDIT: Bollocks, beaten)

I recommend installing Enhanced Steam if you haven't already, so you can see when other sites have the games for cheaper. Too many people rely on the steam store even while Humble/GMG/GoG/Playism etc have sales that sometimes beat them.

EDIT:

Actually, Playism doesn't seem to show up with Enhanced Steam, I wonder if jshackles could do anything about that.

Vita is touch screen, and PS4 has that touch surface which can act like a laptop mouse trackpad ;)

fantomena

It seems like Wolfy doesn't win any "Best Shooter" in any media. Which is sad because it was goddamn awesome and it's the only FPS Im even considering replaying in years.

Lain

It's the 24th and I thought I'd look at my list of steam keys and bundle left overs to share some games with the thread.
I also thought it would have been cool to make the games mysteries with shitty hints (English isn't my tongue, I try but I also fail, especially when trying to be funny) because why not?

Just a head's up, I don't have a 100% certainty that every key or links works. I am only 100% certain that I never gave them away or used them, but shit can happen, so if you decide to enter, do so knowing that.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955066.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-43572CD137A498C8 - Taken by Axass. 5 entrants total.
DAT Light Guardian.
Mystery Gift -- MB-20A2A1AC0BCAEF21 - Taken by Jadax. 5 entrants total.
Turn-based space wars spanning civilizations all over the galaxy in an ultimate bid for power for the second time.
Mystery Gift -- MB-36DB6EE311E73196 - Taken by PetriP-TNT. 3 entrants total.
You wouldn't expect trees to whispers.
Mystery Gift -- MB-28B72FBDAF221912 - Taken by Double. 3 entrants total.
A Planet with no Life, for you to explore.
Mystery Gift -- MB-7F4D79BB33EEB8DC - Taken by ScreamingTrees. 1 entrants total.
The complete adventure of a legendary Vampire Hunter.
Mystery Gift -- MB-468428025A55B0DA - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 3 entrants total.
That Galaxy sure looks delicious.
Mystery Gift -- MB-023F07D91EED5246 - Taken by Diedac. 4 entrants total.
Is she an Amazin' Princess or an Amazon Princess?
Mystery Gift -- MB-345665A825A0EB72 - Taken by iosefe. 5 entrants total.
Incest-quest, Rhak-approved.
Mystery Gift -- MB-2745103BBCE45B74 - Taken by WeaselJCD. 1 entrants total.
El Pollo Diablo Oro.
Mystery Gift -- MB-0D806E7C2021C871
Beeing a peeping tom isn't all that nice, Lilly.
Mystery Gift -- MB-B92AEC586EDA9F0B - Taken by bluechox2. 2 entrants total.
Starbound-who? We're older but better! (say some).
Mystery Gift -- MB-839834B35E1FE4FB - Taken by chronomac. 9 entrants total.
"Murderer? I'm not one!" Said the suspect with no soul around to hear.
Mystery Gift -- MB-FFC3A67082964276
The only one left.
Mystery Gift -- MB-9F7B2EE3D5C86F69 - Taken by tebunker. 2 entrants total.
Black & White with a hinge of Red.
Mystery Gift -- MB-6CE8B6BA8D5C774F - Taken by ussjtrunks. 3 entrants total.
Fucking your sister and killing the Pope? I'm not clear, but maybe it can be done in the second entry of this series.
Mystery Gift -- MB-F5AC4539D6B68346 - Taken by SeZMehK. 2 entrants total.
Managing moving cities for the first time.
Mystery Gift -- MB-136BD1CB76549063 - Taken by cardinalmind. 3 entrants total.
Stalking the shadows where a nuclear disaster once happened.

t1419438845z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom