• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Volcynika

Fireblend said:
I'm debating whether or not to risk it and get L4D; is it too resource-heavy? My computer runs other Source engine games pretty well (the orange box runs pretty smoothly with high settings). Do I need an awesome computer to run L4D or will I be fine with my average, non-gaming laptop?

I think L4D is much easier to run than TF2, if that helps.

It had a good run. :D

My favorite game I picked up so far is Defense Grid. I've started playing around with X3 Terran Conflict but I haven't seen a game with this kind of scope since War in the Pacific. It's going to take a while to digest all the concepts of the game ( I am new to the X series ).

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, a bit late :lol I'm still interested on L4D though, just gotta find out if my computer can handle it. Wonder if they'd do something for it like the free weekends they did for TF2 or guest passes.

Anyway, I was able to get Trackmania United and Portal for awesomely cheap so it's not like I didn't use it.

Volcynika

A Twisty Fluken said:
BTW, on this, I've heard the exact opposite, not that it matters if the sale is over.

Yeah. I think the performance differences are only noticeable if you're using multi-core, since TF2 still only uses one core (which will be changed soon), while L4D makes use of more than one.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
EviLore said:
Annnd it's over.

...and all ubi games go back up to £34.99 (from roughly £25)

hopefully someone with half a brain for business recognizes how much better their games sell when they can actually come close to competing with retail.

ghst said:
...and all ubi games go back up to £34.99 (from roughly £25)

hopefully someone with half a brain for business recognizes how much better their games sell when they can actually come close to competing with retail.

I've actually imported like five games from the UK into the US over the past few months because they were cheaper that way. The publishers have gone beyond "out of touch" to "totally deaf". It can't be that hard to put a price schedule on your stuff in a different currency, can it?

Thomper

teepo said:
but but

i just got paid...
I've seen a few people saying that before, them waiting for payday until they would buy their stuff. But unless you were planning to buy $200 worth of games, couldn't you have simply bought them somewhat earlier? You knew you were going to get your money in. You knew when the sale would end. And even if you still had just a bit of money left, there were a lot of people in this thread buying nearly a dozen games for about $30-40.

The sale lasted for over a whole week; if you really missed the chance to buy anything, it's silly to get mad.

Shanks

Question about Left4Dead. I can run (and regularly do) Team Fortress 2 at 800x600 res with all settings to low. I can run higher, to about 768 but my lappy would overheat after a bit so I keep it on 800x600. When booting up L4D, I end up getting a black screen and hear the title music and everything going on. Is the default settings on L4D too high or something? Is there anything I can do? In case it matters, my specs are

1.8 ghz single core
32 mb ati radeon mobility (ah yeah)
1 gig of ram

Mrbob

Whew. I'm glad it is over. :lol

Been eyeing the Civ 4 complete package the entire time, and I really didn't need another game. Now with the sale over I don't have the urge to buy it anymore. I do want the game, but I have way too much on my plate to play for the next year.

Now the wait for the weekend sales begin anew.

bdouble

Shanks said:
Question about Left4Dead. I can run (and regularly do) Team Fortress 2 at 800x600 res with all settings to low. I can run higher, to about 768 but my lappy would overheat after a bit so I keep it on 800x600. When booting up L4D, I end up getting a black screen and hear the title music and everything going on. Is the default settings on L4D too high or something? Is there anything I can do? In case it matters, my specs are

1.8 ghz single core
1 gig of ram

sounds like its just the resolution. Right click the game in steam and go to properties then launch options. put -windowed in the box.

http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Setting_Game_Launch_Options

Shanks said:

1.8 ghz single core
1 gig of ram
That's what it does on my parents' PC as well.

Left 4 Dead's system requirements are quite a bit higher than TF2's: dual core is recommended, as well as a more beefy video card. I don't think there's much you can do to get it to run on that machine... quite frankly I'm a bit surprised you can run TF2.
Mrbob said:
Whew. I'm glad it is over.

Been eyeing the Civ 4 complete package the entire time, and I really didn't need another game. Now with the sale over I don't have the urge to buy it anymore. I do want the game, but I have way too much on my plate to play for the next year.
Heh, same here. I was so close to caving for Civ 4 last night, but I'm kinda glad I held off.

Doytch

Mrbob said:
Whew. I'm glad it is over. :lol

Now the wait for the weekend sales begin anew.

Same. I've started saving for a down payment and small shit like this wrecks me. Every time this thread was on the front page, I browsed over to Steam and checked it out. Instead I started replaying the NWN2 collection. :lol

Zzoram

What is the point in resisting Civilization 4? It's a tremendously good game with infinite replayability and depth. Working your way through the difficulty settings, victory conditions, and world types is extremely rewarding.

I bought Civilization Complete on clearance at Futureshop a while back for $19.99. It contains Civ 1-3 gold editions, and Civ 4. I don't care for the expansions personally, I prefer the vanilla game. BTS does add a lot, but I don't want to bother with spying and defending against it on top of all the other management you have to do late game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:
What is the point in resisting Civilization 4? It's a tremendously good game with infinite replayability and depth. Working your way through the difficulty settings, victory conditions, and world types is extremely rewarding.
In my case, it is because it costs money and I have already spent a shitload of it this holiday season.

Zzoram said:
I just bought Civ3 for three bucks from this sale, and got a copy of Civ Rev for Christmas (which I'm kinda thinking about returning since my backlog is already too big), and my current computer probably won't do Civ4 justice.

I'll definitely pick it up at some point in the future, but now would not be the smartest time for me. :lol

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Zzoram said:
What is the point in resisting Civilization 4?

the recent surge of attention the game has gotten from the steam sale, and subsequent revisiting has reminded me that there is no reason why this shouldn't be considered the greatest game ever crafted.

if perfection has ever been attained by a video game, it's civilization 4. and this is without the slightest hint of rose tint or release window hyperbole.

Zzoram

Civilization 4 runs on a lot of machines, and slows down on pretty much any machine late-game. My old 1.86ghz Pentium M with mobile geforce 6800 256mb and 2gb RAM laptop ran it maxed out 1440x900 great until the whole world was revealed and populated. I haven't installed it on my recently built desktop yet, but I would imagine that it'll run better.

Zzoram

ghst said:
the recent surge of attention the game has gotten from the steam sale, and subsequent revisiting has reminded me that there is no reason why this shouldn't be considered the greatest game ever crafted.

if perfection has ever been attained by a video game, it's civilization 4. and this is without the slightest hint of rose tint or release window hyperbole.

Civilization 4 is pretty incredible. My first time playing it, I accidentally played until 8am the next day. You definitely need to watch the clock with this game.

Bunny

beat bioshock about two days ago and i loved it, still can't believe it was only $5! after beating it i went back and downloaded the episode of GFW radio where shawn elloit and sean malloy talk about it, i pretty much agreed with everything they had to say.

fallout

Zzoram said:
:lol That's sort of the problem. I held off on Civ4 while I was in university because when I was in high school, I got hooked on Civ2/3. I got away with it there because high school was easy, but I knew what it would potentially do to my grades in university.

Xapati

Bunny said:
beat bioshock about two days ago and i loved it, still can't believe it was only $5! after beating it i went back and downloaded the episode of GFW radio where shawn elloit and sean malloy talk about it, i pretty much agreed with everything they had to say.

I just started Bioshock and it's already depressing the fuck out of me. Man this game is awesome. Also Plasmids are awesome, zapping things, burning things, and it makes you're left hand look really badass :D . Killing little girls improves you're plasmid abilities right? As much as I love plasmids I'm not sure I will be able to do that though :(

Mrbob

Yeah I don't think anyone will argue against the awesomeness of Civ 4. It is mainly a time issue. Here are the PC games I now own, still playing or need to start:

The Witcher
Red Alert 3
Bioshock (halfway through need to finish)
CoH Gold
Rise of Legends
Titan Quest
Age of Mythology (talking about it the other day made me reinstall and start a new campaign)
Left 4 Dead
World of Goo
Vegas Tycoon
Reaxxion (Screw you guys I liked the demo leave me be damn it. :lol )

Still play peggle...dawn of war 2 is coming. MLB 09 the show is out in late feb for ps3 (best sports series available), with some more titles hitting late in quarter 1. I have enough on my gaming plate right now.

Having said this, the 10 percent off sale for Crysis and Warhead wasn't enough for me. If I can get them cheaper on a weekend sale I will be grabbing them right away. I still want to play both.

I grabbed the Prince of Persia pack and installed the latest one and Sands of Time overnight, leaving the other two and the rest of my Steam haul for this morning.

I did a quick check of the download sizes (through the Steam interface) of the games I have yet to install, and Steam is reporting it needs to download 13475MB for Warrior Within. Is that right? Not that it particularly matters, as I have the hard drive space either way, but I just found it curious.

SupahBlah

Banned
Mrbob said:
Rise of Legends
Age of Mythology (talking about it the other day made me reinstall and start a new campaign)

I can't find my discs for either of these and it annoys me because whenever someone mentions them I want to play them again. :lol

:(

Twig

Banned
letsbereasonable said:
I grabbed the Prince of Persia pack and installed the latest one and Sands of Time overnight, leaving the other two and the rest of my Steam haul for this morning.

I did a quick check of the download sizes (through the Steam interface) of the games I have yet to install, and Steam is reporting it needs to download 13475MB for Warrior Within. Is that right? Not that it particularly matters, as I have the hard drive space either way, but I just found it curious.
No, just a display bug. It's only a little over 3GB in total.

rohlfinator said:
Heh, same here. I was so close to caving for Civ 4 last night, but I'm kinda glad I held off.

I guess I'm the one guy who did cave in last night...have played Civ 4 a bit before and it's great, and I wanted to check out the expansions. It really is an amazing game...what sold me in the end was that the same package is like $70 on the 'zon.

RotBot

Did they change the price for Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl halfway through? I definitely bought that for $5 on 12/19.

Bunny

Xapati said:
I just started Bioshock and it's already depressing the fuck out of me. Man this game is awesome. Also Plasmids are awesome, zapping things, burning things, and it makes you're left hand look really badass :D . Killing little girls improves you're plasmid abilities right? As much as I love plasmids I'm not sure I will be able to do that though :(

yeah, harvesting the little sisters gives you more adam to buy different and better plasmids, but i would still stick to rescuing all of them, hehe.

fallout

Xapati said:
There's really no reason to harvest them, since it basically balances out. I saved them all in my playthrough and didn't have any issues with low adam.

calder

I bought World in Conflict yesterday, but I doubt I'll play multi. The SP campaign looks interesting enough, and I really don't care to be fresh meat for anyone still playing a RTS a year after release. :lol

Mainly on Steam though I've been playing games I purchased but never really got around to properly playing, having a ton of fun with Vampire:Masquerade right now. God I wish there were more RPGs similar to this on consoles.

fallout

calder said:
I bought World in Conflict yesterday, but I doubt I'll play multi. The SP campaign looks interesting enough, and I really don't care to be fresh meat for anyone still playing a RTS a year after release. :lol
I only played the demo, but the multi had all the different roles divided up between all the players. You could hop in and just control infantry units, but still make a sizable difference in the game.

Also: Are you watching this USA v. Slovakia game?

calder

Lol yes actually I am. I was telling my dad on the phone before the third period that if US gets one goal in the first 10 of the period they would win in regulation. I guess we'll see if Team USA makes me look like a fool. ;) Maybe Janus can complete a one-man win here or if I was right that you can only .

SHIT just as I'm typing slovakia scores again. Did not expect that!

w3stfa11

Dammit, I totally missed this. There's about 3-4 games I would've purchased. Sucks for being out of the country for 2 weeks. :/

mrgone

I'm kicking myself for not picking up Trials 2 last night. I downloaded the demo and played it in a sleepy haze just before bed, and thought it was one of those games that would drive me into a frothy cursing rage and kind of dismissed it. I played it again when I got in from work and found it's one of those games that drive me into a frothy, cursing rage, but I like it. And the sale's done :(

Dedalus

As if weekend deals were not awesome enough, this holiday deal has blown everything else away. I have spent more on Steam then I did on anything else this holiday :lol

Baloonatic said:
Didn't work, I'll have to forget about it I guess.
Sucks ;/ dunno what the problem could be.

Thomper said:
The sale lasted for over a whole week; if you really missed the chance to buy anything, it's silly to get mad.

I wouldn't be mad if they didn't say it lasted through January fuckin 2nd. They should have just said it ended on the first.

Top Bottom