• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever actually played an RTS multiplayer before xD How about Dawn of War? I was considering the "Everything Pack".

RJT

Baloonatic said:
Is the campaign in Company of Heroes any good?
Yes. Definitely worth it is the WW2 scenario doesn't put you off.

btw, whoever said I should buy Trials: fuck you!!! The game is digital crack. I just spent more than half an hour to pass a level, and then I see the best time for it is 38 fucking seconds. How can someone do that in 38 seconds? I must try it. But how? HOW? HOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW?

RJT said:

btw, whoever said I should buy Trials: fuck you!!! The game is digital crack. I just spent more than half an hour to pass a level, and then I see the best time for it is 38 fucking seconds. How can someone do that in 38 seconds? I must try it. But how? HOW? HOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW?

LOL!!

Baloonatic said:
Hmm, I don't think I've ever actually played an RTS multiplayer before xD How about Dawn of War? I was considering the "Everything Pack".

Dawn of War at this point is a pretty hardcore multiplayer community and the automatch service in the game is kind of broken. I adore the folks who still play it, but I think COH is in much better game for an RTS beginner to start out with.

Fragamemnon said:
Dawn of War at this point is a pretty hardcore multiplayer community and the automatch service in the game is kind of broken. I adore the folks who still play it, but I think COH is in much better game for an RTS beginner to start out with.
Definitely, there are always a good number of beginners, and this sale has definitely seen an influx of 'em. Nows as good a time as any to delve into it, Baloonatic!

Thomper

RJT said:

You're welcome! :D

Volcynika

RJT said:

:lol

LovingSteam said:
Joseph, did you enjoy Spore? I am trying to decide between that and ArmA before the sale ends.

Alan
Hehe. No, I didn't really. I liked the creature stage for a while, but it's way too shallow-- the whole game overall is. Didn't care about creating creatures though. That's pretty much the whole draw of the game as each stage feel.. half-finished. Even the space stage is only enjoyable if you like doing the exact same mission over and over-- although this part is getting its own expansion next, so could become better. Who knows.

Mrbob

Dawn of War is pretty cool. I jokingly name it Starcraft 1.5, since it is the game it most reminds me of in the wait for Starcraft 2.

Company of Heroes is a bit more advanced from the little I've played. Which makes sense, since the game was made after Dawn of War. The tactical way in which you can use cover in CoH is great.

Joseph Merrick said:
Heh. Doubt this will make any difference whatsoever for the PC release. At least they made a better in-game interface and menu system for the game now.

Maybe I was the only person to enjoy the xbox operation flashpoint also hehe
Quoting myself, but it was ghst I was responding to I think. ArmA2 vids;

http://files.filefront.com/Arma+high+Commandwmv/;11600597;/fileinfo.html/1/1
http://files.filefront.com/Arma+2+Aircraftwmv/;11682082;/fileinfo.html/1/1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4UvNGnOngU

http://files.filefront.com/ArmA+GC+1mpg/;11654534;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/ArmA+GC+2mpg/;11661285;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/ArmA+GC+3mpg/;11663361;/fileinfo.html
http://files.filefront.com/ArmA+GC+4mpg/;11665511;/fileinfo.html

LovingSteam said:
BTW Joseph, did you buy ArmA off Steam? I heard there is an error with the Steam version that it is unable to update to the newest release. Have you found this to be the case?

Alan
No, I bought the box day one of course. Hehe. but I don't think arma is even available here through steam.

Compass

Banned
YYZ said:
Can someone gift me Bejeweled Deluxe for $1? I was going to get the STALKER games, but I can get those in the future. I'm just pissed off that I can't buy anything on my account because it was locked (Valve's problem). I was lucky enough to get it working ONCE, but that's it.

Please add me on Steam: yyzedd

Don't sweat it, Bejeweled Deluxe kinda sucks. Super low res. No extra content. It's just the base Bejeweled game you've played in much better iterations like Puzzle Quest or 7 Wonders. Waste of a buck for me. I played it for like two minutes, and know I will never touch it again.

Daigoro

Civilization III Complete for $3.74 is an insane value. ive sunk about 8 hrs in the last 2 days. just ONE MORE TURN... for real.

and is the gifting feature not one of the coolest things ever?

sending someone half way across the world a game via steam and having it pop up immediately on their screen is just such a cool feeling.

Alien8

Daigoro said:
Civilization III Complete for $3.74 is an insane value. ive sunk about 8 hrs in the last 2 days. just ONE MORE TURN... for real.

and is the gifting feature not one of the coolest things ever?

sending someone half way across the world a game via steam and having it pop up immediately on their screen is just such a cool feeling.

The price is good indeed, but the steam version doesn't work in vista (the retail version does).

EazyB

Banned
Alien8 said:
The price is good indeed, but the steam version doesn't work in vista (the retail version does).
Really? I was just about to checkout with Civ3 but if it doesn't work in Vista then there's no point.

dejan

dejan said:
Trials 2: Second Edition - 2.49 USD
Audiosurf - 4.99 USD
Jagged Alliance 2 / Disciples II Gold Combo - 14.99 USD
Unreal Tournament 3 - 9.99 USD
Company of Heroes Gold - 22.49 USD

I might be buying some more games tomorrow.

Just realized I should have bought this stuff from the UK store to save me even more money. :(

Aaaaaaaanyway closed my post christmas Steam shopping spree with the purchase of Left 4 Dead from the UK store for 20.24 GBP.

Truespeed

My condolences to those that purchased Sega Rally Revo. What a POS game with a interface that belongs in the Hall of Shame.

EazyB

Banned
Alien8 said:
Well, i was looking the steam forum of civIII to paste this link:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611432

But it seems that today a guy has found a workaround. I don't know if it works tough:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778017
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I'm not really interested in hacking my computer to get this game to run. I have bought enough and have enough in my backlog so I'll just hold off until another deal rolls around.

Gabyskra

Banned
dejan said:
Just realized I should have bought this stuff from the UK store to save me even more money. :(

Aaaaaaaanyway closed my post christmas Steam shopping spree with the purchase of Left 4 Dead from the UK store for 20.24 GBP.

Mind giving a quick step by step on how to get to the UK store?
Greatly appreciated. :)

Finguo

Gabyskra said:
Mind giving a quick step by step on how to get to the UK store?
Greatly appreciated. :)

Basically you need two apps, Your Freedom and Sockscap. A quick guide on how to use those two for Steam can be found here: http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=111&L=1
I found it rather confusing the first time so I'll try to give you an easy step-by-step guide:

1 Download YF: http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=3&L=2/"
2 Download Sockscap: http://files.filefront.com/sc32r240exe/;6152240;/fileinfo.html
3 You'll need an YF account, create one at the YF website: http://www.your-freedom.net/index.php?id=170&L=0
4 Install and run YF, enter your YF account data under "Status/Configure/Account Data"
5 Under "Status/Configure" click on "Use Wizard" and follow the instructions. When it's done, select a server in the UK from the list.
6 After that go to the tab "Ports" and set up everything like shown here: http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6484/01012009234501ix1.jpg
7 Under "Status" click "Connect", your PC should then connect to the selected UK proxy server.
8 Now install and run Sockscaps, under File/Settings set everything up like shown here: http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3079/01012009234859at3.jpg
9 In SCs main window, click new and add the path to your browser.
10 While YF is still running in the background, start your browser through Sockscap. From now on you will surf the net using a UK proxy, i.e. a UK IP address, which will grant you access to the UK store.

The connection will be slow, but after the game has been purchased and added to your account you can exit YF and SC, start Steam and download the game using your regular ISP settings (and speed).

Note: You should be aware of the fact that Valve might notice your IP address switching suddenly between purchasing and downloading a game and they might not like what you are doing and ban your account or something like that. After all you are purchasing content you are not supposed to purchase and/or at prices you are not supposed to pay. Just keep this in mind.

just to confirm, if I've bought Left 4 Dead on DVD (got it during the Amazon sale a few weeks ago), and have added it to my steam account, I pretty much have no use for the DVD?

If I need to reinstall, I can just download it as many times as I need to via my steam account, correct?

Firestorm

soul creator said:
just to confirm, if I've bought Left 4 Dead on DVD (got it during the Amazon sale a few weeks ago), and have added it to my steam account, I pretty much have no use for the DVD?

If I need to reinstall, I can just download it as many times as I need to via my steam account, correct?
Yes. My friend wanted L4D. Got an American friend to just buy it from Amazon, PMed the CD Key, and downloaded from Steam (his laptop doesn't even have a DVD/CD drive).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
When does the sale end tomorrow? CET time would be preferable.

My dumb bank didn't transfer the cash to Steam, I have over one week old payments that haven't been accepted yet.

And now I can't buy stuff from Steam because my bank/whatever won't let me :D. Probably because of the 3 transactions :\

Volcynika

Easy_D said:
When does the sale end tomorrow? CET time would be preferable.

My dumb bank didn't transfer the cash to Steam, I have over one week old payments that haven't been accepted yet.

And now I can't buy stuff from Steam because my bank/whatever won't let me :D. Probably because of the 3 transactions :\

Their weekend deals usually end at 12PM Pacific Standard Time (3 PM EST) the Monday after, but I'm not sure about this. There's a chance it might end at 12AM PST tonight (3 AM EST).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Shit :lol We'll see. I guess. It's officially the 2nd all over Europe now and there's still a sale going.

It's a race against time. Bank people better fix the screwup before the sale ends or else I'm gonna rob 'em or something :lol

Sciz

World of Goo is the Super Mario Bros. 3 of the puzzle genre. Simple but compelling core mechanics coupled with such extraordinary variety that every single level is unique and memorable. If you've ever enjoyed Lemmings, go buy it immediately.

Volcynika

Sciz said:
World of Goo is the Super Mario Bros. 3 of the puzzle genre. Simple but compelling core mechanics coupled with such extraordinary variety that every single level is unique and memorable. If you've ever enjoyed Lemmings, go buy it immediately.

I go and play this just a little bit every day, one level from finishing Chapter 1, but I want those OCD challenges!!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
sykoex said:
I'm buying an Asus netbook, could I run L4D or TF2 on it?

Well... an Asus... man that tells us everything we need to know make a judgement call on that one. Yep, totally informative.

Warning: Darwinia and World of Goo are officially digital crack.

Darwinia seems like a good game for people like me who suck at RTSs. I doesn't have a ton of units and tech trees to memorize and the basic mechanics are relatively simple, but it still involves a lot of strategy.

World of Goo should be really repetitive, since really all you do is create triangles to make a structurally-sound path--and yet, I can't stop playing. The quirky humor, enchanting music, and gorgeous art style make it hard to stop playing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The only thing stopping me from buying World of Goo is the lack of apparent replay value, because there isn't a skirmish or multiplayer mode like the similarly themed Lemmings on the SNES had.

sykoex said:
Eee 900HA
Hope you don't take offense to this but the fact that you asked if an "Asus" could run L4D or TF2 makes me wonder if you actually know what you're buying. If you're buying an eee pc with the expectation that you'll be able to play games like TF2 and L4D you might want to reconsider your purchase.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Can someone help me with this?

I haven't played any of these games before, so I'm trying to get the Valve pack. The problem is, Steam isn't letting me create an account. It would either make me repeat the symbol verification several times and then give me a "Your account creation request failed, please try again later" message or just punt me to that message straight away. Is there anything in particular I need to know about the symbol verification? Or is there something else I could be doing wrong?

border

I would like to give someone a copy of Portal as a belated X-Mas gift, but I don't even think he has a Steam ID. Can I purchase it now at the reduced price, and give it to him once he signs up for an account? Or do I have to have a valid steam ID at the time of purchase?

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
SapientWolf said:
The only thing stopping me from buying World of Goo is the lack of apparent replay value, because there isn't a skirmish or multiplayer mode like the similarly themed Lemmings on the SNES had.

There's a fair bit of replay value if you dig getting the OCD achievements or getting more goo balls for the World Of Goo Corporation tower metagame thingy.

border said:
I would like to give someone a copy of Portal as a belated X-Mas gift, but I don't even think he has a Steam ID. Can I purchase it now at the reduced price, and give it to him once he signs up for an account? Or do I have to have a valid steam ID at the time of purchase?
Just send it to his email.

Real quick, Does anybody think i should wait till Ep 3 comes out to pick up the episode pack or will it be like 2010?

Quick edit: I have Half Life 2 already and want to make it a gift when I buy the Orange Box, is there an option to do it at checkout?

Top Bottom