• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale has begun! Update: OVAH.

xKilltheMx said:
Real quick, Does anybody think i should wait till Ep 3 comes out to pick up the episode pack or will it be like 2010?

Quick edit: I have Half Life 2 already and want to make it a gift when I buy the Orange Box, is there an option to do it at checkout?

Bump

Edit deuce:
bkw said:
Not at checkout. Buy the Orange Box for yourself, go through checkout, etc. Once you've done that, in your Games list on Steam, it'll show that you have "1 Extra Copy" of Half Life 2. You can gift it from there.

Thanks a ton i couldn't find the answer for the life of me.

bkw

xKilltheMx said:
Real quick, Does anybody think i should wait till Ep 3 comes out to pick up the episode pack or will it be like 2010?

Quick edit: I have Half Life 2 already and want to make it a gift when I buy the Orange Box, is there an option to do it at checkout?

Not at checkout. Buy the Orange Box for yourself, go through checkout, etc. Once you've done that, in your Games list on Steam, it'll show that you have "1 Extra Copy" of Half Life 2. You can gift it from there.

Jswanko

So ive rationed myself around $20-$30 to spend on this deal. So far i have Civ III, Portal, Doom II, Bejewled, and Trials for $13. Is there another game/s that i shouldn't pass up for $7-$17?

Kritz

Banned
fuck you Steam! FUCK YOU

I just added Gmod and Psyconauts to my Steam collection.

It's so easy just to buy things... :( Even if bandwidth limits prevent me from actually playing them.

I almost bought the ID Pack but didn't on the basis I probably won't play any of them regardless. And I really don't want to add 15 odd games to my current backlog.

Volcynika

Jswanko said:
So ive rationed myself around $20-$30 to spend on this deal. So far i have Civ III, Portal, Doom II, Bejewled, and Trials for $13. Is there another game/s that i shouldn't pass up for $7-$17?

World of Goo (puzzle game) / Aquaria (cross between Ecco the Dolphin and Metroid). They both have demos, though the deal is running out soon, but both of those provide great enjoyment to me.

fallout

Jswanko said:
Trackmania United is only $20. I know that puts you a little over, but I think it's worth it.

Twig

Banned
Holy fuck the music in The Witcher is amazing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this game forever. Combat feels... weird. Slow. But everything else is awesome.

PatzCU

Just picked up the follow:

Relic Super Pack $37.49
Doom 2 $0.99
Ultimate Doom $0.99
Trials 2 $2.49

Can't wait to try these all out, especially the Relic games. Now I just need to find a good program to play the Dooms with. I know there are some good OpenGL mods out there.

I wanted to get the id Super Pack, but I honestly couldn't see me actually playing all those games. Oh well.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
man, I've spent a lot with Steam this year.

Fantastic sale.

I closed my wallet up with Left 4 Dead and World of Goo, both of which I feel bad for not having played yet.

Saerk

I ended up getting

Heavy Weapon Deluxe $0.99
Peggle Deluxe $4.99
Luxor 2 $0.99
Bejeweled Deluxe $0.99
Reaxxion $0.99
X-COM: UFO Defense $3.74
X-COM: Apocalypse $3.74
BioShock™ $4.99
Unreal Tournament 3 $9.99
Sid Meier's Civilization® IV $14.99
World of Goo $14.99
Company of Heroes $14.99
Titan Quest Gold $14.99
The Orange Box $26.99
id Super Pack $34.99

Figured Id get the games I was interested but not all the expansion packs. I can get those later if I really like them. I got enough to play for now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Half-Life expansions standalone? I'm thinking about getting Blue Shift and Opposing Forces since I never played them back in the day and 0.99 cents is pretty hard to pass up, but I don't really want to pay close to $10 for the original Half-Life which I have already played through a dozen times.

So I got CoH, but when I change the resolution to 1920x1080, the screen sort of... vibrates constantly. It's only very minor shaking but it makes stuff like text slightly blurred. Any ideas?

TheOneGuy said:
Holy fuck the music in The Witcher is amazing.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to love this game forever. Combat feels... weird. Slow. But everything else is awesome.

Combat pace picks up as you level and get more and more combos.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just purchased:

Bioshock
Unreal Deal Pack
Mount & Blade
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes Gold
Sid Meier's Pirates!
World in Conflict
Prince of Persia (2008)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

I had to use Your Free to run a US proxy to access a few of those games and gift them to my main account. I hope I don't end up getting banned for it!

I also probably would have bought more, but I already owned a lot of the games that were part of good deals.

Damn Steam rocks.

Vorador

Banned
I just purchased Bioshock, Defense Grid and the Unreal Pack (all Unreal games including UT3 for only 20€ is a steal whatever way you look at it). And i just had promised myself to not buy anything more from Steam due to the 1$=1€ bullshit :(

Thomper

Vorador said:
I just purchased Bioshock, Defense Grid and the Unreal Pack (all Unreal games including UT3 for only 20€ is a steal whatever way you look at it). And i just had promised myself to not buy anything more from Steam due to the 1$=1€ bullshit :(
It's not all 1$=1€ anymore, though. Portal is 3,74€ but 5 dollars, the UbiSoft stuff is cheaper in Europe, and other prices have been adapted too. But, yeah, there's still a lot of games with prices converted in the 'wrong' way.

Cday

Banned
Fallout 3 and Stalker are mine.

Already have F3 on 360 but it's such a great game I don't mind paying an extra $40 for the PC version. Planning on getting Clear Sky if I like the first one.

Twig

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
you get the soundtrack and all with just the download version aswell, right?
Not that I'm aware of. I didn't expect to like the game so much already, though. I almost wish I had bought the physical version with all that cool crap.
Buh? D: What's this?
PuppetSlave said:
Combat pace picks up as you level and get more and more combos.
Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Good to hear confirmation, though.

Bananimus said:
Have you tried updating your video drivers? What kind of video card do you have?

Processor is an E8400 and graphics card is an ATI 4850. OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Some people on the Steam forums seemed to fix it by running in Directx 9, but didn't work for me. Would I be able to get a refund from Valve if a game flat out doesn't work?

Cday

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Processor is an E8400 and graphics card is an ATI 4850. OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Some people on the Steam forums seemed to fix it by running in Directx 9, but didn't work for me. Would I be able to get a refund from Valve if a game flat out doesn't work?

Check for driver updates. I had trouble running Far Cry 2 on DX10 with the same card but it worked fine after I updated it.

Cday said:
Check for driver updates. I had trouble running Far Cry 2 on DX10 with the same card but it worked fine after I updated it.

Hmm, well I have the latest ATI drivers. Can't really think what else to do, strange that it won't start whatsoever.

Dedalus

Baloonatic said:
Hmm, well I have the latest ATI drivers. Can't really think what else to do, strange that it won't start whatsoever.
I have had this problem with a lot of Steam games, I'm running Vista-64 too. I have found that I usually need to browse to the actual game .exe in the steamapps folder and run it that way the first time before it will launch through the Steam games menu.

You can also try some launch options like -dx9 or set a custom resolution which is usually the best way to get games to launch if its just a blank screen (not sure of the exact command off the top of my head).

TheOneGuy said:
Buh? D: What's this?
oh eh. music modules. playable through winamp. they're by the guy that did the witcher music.

Redbeard said:
Anyone have ARMA? I don't know if it's worth it with 2 coming out and I read it was kind of a mess.
might be like half a year until arma2, I guess. it is supposed to be q1, but ya.. they're trying to not have a release as messy as with arma1 this time. not that this is even possible. hehe. but arma1 isn't any kind of a mess anymore, no. it's.... wonderful

Dedalus said:
I have had this problem with a lot of Steam games, I'm running Vista-64 too. I have found that I usually need to browse to the actual game .exe in the steamapps folder and run it that way the first time before it will launch through the Steam games menu.

You can also try some launch options like -dx9 or set a custom resolution which is usually the best way to get games to launch if its just a blank screen (not sure of the exact command off the top of my head).

Tried all those things, still doesn't work :( It's not a blank screen either, the logo just pops up and then I get the Windows message saying "This program has stopped working" and I have to cancel it.

Dedalus

I think you either need to install the latest version of .NET Framework or the latest C++ Re-distributable (both should be available on the microsoft website).

EDIT: definitely C++ Re-distributable, can't remember off the top of my head whether it is worth installing the x64 over x86 version.

zbarron

Reaxxion $0.99
Everyday Shooter $8.99
Psychonauts $8.99
I-Fluid $4.99
Spectraball $8.99
Gumboy - Crazy Adventures™ $2.49
Bullet Candy $3.59
Gravitron 2 $4.49
Eternity's Child $4.49
Eets $8.99
Prince of Persia Pack $48.74

Total: $105.74

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ah fuck it. I held off until the last minute but I went ahead and got the CivIV pack. I have CivIV already on disc but it would never install properly since I switched computers, plus Steam's convenience.

Dedalus said:
I think you either need to install the latest version of .NET Framework or the latest C++ Re-distributable (both should be available on the microsoft website).

EDIT: definitely C++ Re-distributable, can't remember off the top of my head whether it is worth installing the x64 over x86 version.

Didn't work, I'll have to forget about it I guess.

Cheeto

Thank god this is over. I bought way too much, and some I already had boxed copies for! Thanks to the people praising Trials 2, definitely the best $2.50 I've ever spent.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So when I try to install Civ IV: Beyond the Sword I get an error message. "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

Civ IV and Warlords installed without a hitch, it's been doing this for the past hour. Should I just wait?

Edit: Ok now it decides to work. :p

Fireblend

Banned
I'm debating whether or not to risk it and get L4D; is it too resource-heavy? My computer runs other Source engine games pretty well (the orange box runs pretty smoothly with high settings). Do I need an awesome computer to run L4D or will I be fine with my average, non-gaming laptop?

Top Bottom