• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright friends, help me decide, Risk of Rain or Spelunky?

I generally indie game on a surface pro hooked up to a nice monitor when I am at home and would like to use a controller at home and when I'm out if I can.

I love the art style of both but risk of rain takes the retro cake for me in terms of looks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are they well organized? At least keep your top ten the actual top ten games you want.

That shall be the next step! I'll try and drag the titles of games I want more than others to the top. Think I'll get started on that right now before I head out in a short bit.

What games are you waiting till the last day to get?

I'm only thinking of getting one more, and it'll either be Bionic Commando, Kane & Lynch 2, Hitman Blood Money, or Vector

feel

Well, so I got poisoned by chocolates in LLTQ. Too bad, I was just coming off of a succesful campaign against a group of rebel nobels and I was looking forward to publicly torture their families to death. Oh well.
I do enjoy the thrill of slowly uncovering unlabeled spoilers and hoping for the best.

Alex

I generally indie game on a surface pro hooked up to a nice monitor when I am at home and would like to use a controller at home and when I'm out if I can.

I love the art style of both but risk of rain takes the retro cake for me in terms of looks.

Spelunky single, RoR multi.

I prefer RoR overall, but I played all of it in multi and I imagine it wouldn't be as rad as Spelunky in terms of single.

Pachimari

Everyone's voting for ANNO, right?

I hope not but opinions and all that.

I just hope Age of Empires II HD goes on sale as I haven't played that one for like a decade. I remember playing the original so many years ago, and it's one of the few PC games I have played, and now that I'm slowly getting into Steam, it would be very interesting going back to Age of Empires II. :)

I can't imagine RoR on a keyboard... it works so well on a controller. Spelunky I could imagine, though I'd still vastly prefer a controller.

The correct answer here is both, btw. (Both games made my top 10 GOTY list. :p)

Spelunky is the safe choice, being a more universally enjoyable game. Risk of Rain is more a "I'm going to fucking beat this" type of experience.

Ideally get both of course. They are different enough to complement one another nicely.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
merry gabemas

h9kRObA.gif

Dear god this gif is too much.

I've heard the opposite from like three people now, where it sounds like outside of the Kairo charm this being a better, less easy to break game. I've got wallet funds so I'm probably gonna bite, I'm just a fool for light weight sims.

Well best of luck, hope you enjoy it more than I did. The Kairo charm is the big difference between the two...but to me charm in a sim game is actually quite a big deal.

hmm... I might try it out then. I like puzzles. thanks :)

It isn't the best game ever, but there is more than enough there.

nihilumbraxoqsl.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Still waiting on 75% off Driver San Francisco, which seems like it won't happen at any store. Only the uplay version has gone on that good of a sale for the longest time. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Enjoy! If I had the specs, I'd be dropping $30 on the game too. This is one of the sites I used to read through:
http://dayzhq.com/journals/

The Day Z forums also has tons of great stories

You misunderstand: I'm wanting it to be more than PvP/human interactions right now. Like I said: You can do the "shoot on sight" gameplay in Arma at this point of time. The zombies are too pointless (unless they're attacking you and then the combat kinda falls on its face) right now to fear them. Which is kinda what I bought the title for. If I wanted to shoot other people in the face, I could've done that in CoD4/BF/Doom/CS/etc. right now. :/

That said: I can see the appeal of that for some people, but I kinda wish I didn't drop $30 after already having the Arma 2 mod at this point. I'm hoping Rocket and company will actually make the zombies a bit of a threat to where players have to work together to protect themselves from them instead of just the other human players, but I dunno if that'll happen.

It does. They just allow you to change your graphics card now. Aren't they magnanimous and benevolent? Fuck Ubisoft and everyone who supports this kind of "oh but it doesn't hurt me, I hardly ever noticed it" draconian DRM crap.

Ha, Ubisoft probably patched in that exception because of the benchmarking website that rudely discovered the hardware binding in the first place.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Still waiting on 75% off Driver San Francisco, which seems like it won't happen at any store. Only the uplay version has gone on that good of a sale for the longest time. :(

that used to go on sale all the time 2 or 3 sales ago. Why I like to get everything I can, just in case its removed or wont go on sale again >_>

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fuuuuuck, I don't have the Cashflow/Steam wallet money for the Allen Wake collection at $4. Does it generally for -90% during Steam sales? Because that's a killer price and I don't want to miss it, but I'm going to right now. ;_;

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fuuuuuck, I don't have the Cashflow/Steam wallet money for the Allen Wake collection at $4. Does it generally for -90% during Steam sales? Because that's a killer price and I don't want to miss it, but I'm going to right now. ;_;

check your PM

Fuck no, I own it and think nobody should vote for that much DRM. I don't think it binds itself to your hardware anymore, meaning if you changed a component you lost a copy, but it still has TAGES and uPlay on top of Steam.

Anno 2070 was released during the height of Ubisoft's inept and awful DRM schemes and they don't really seem to address these things as they move forward. They're a terrible company and this game is loaded with terrible DRM.

Alright. I won't be buying it, then. Disappointing. Looks like a really pretty game.

Spelunky single, RoR multi.

I prefer RoR overall, but I played all of it in multi and I imagine it wouldn't be as rad as Spelunky in terms of single.

I can't imagine RoR on a keyboard... it works so well on a controller. Spelunky I could imagine, though I'd still vastly prefer a controller.

The correct answer here is both, btw. (Both games made my top 10 GOTY list. :p)

Spelunky is the safe choice, being a more universally enjoyable game. Risk of Rain is more a "I'm going to fucking beat this" type of experience.

Ideally get both of course. They are different enough to complement one another nicely.

Thank you friends, this is why I love this community!

Yeah, I will end up with both but trying (feels like torture) to be a responsible parent at the moment and not get totally drained by the steam sale.

Risk of rain it is then and spelunky later. Thanks!

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So I managed to go an entire year without making a Steam purchase (bought plenty of Steam keys from elsewhere, but nothing from Steam proper) and now I can't sell any of the snow globe cards I've gotten from voting and buying. Will I be able to trade these things before they expire (I have 11 right now, will probably end up with 15 or so)?
If that's your problem, I believe simply buying something from Steam with a previously-used payment method should solve it. (Looks like the Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There Dan That! double pack would be the cheapest option.)

EDIT: ...Wait, I didn't read closely enough. Are you sure you've got SteamGuard enabled? Did you use a new payment method for the purchases you've made this sale? (You're hosed either way, unfortunately. The lock won't expire before the sale ends.)

This is what you get when you gift Secret of the Magic Crystals to your friend. His revenge. (Fortunately, it was not Agarest)

7LseY8s.png

I'm now on the same road to hell as you gaf. Gonna launch this shit up now.

Rhaknar

:eek:! (I can't redeem it right now, Steam won't let me login on a browser)

anticlimatic >_>

do I have you on steam? its sitting in my inventory I think I can just resend through steam

edit: actually I have to go to work already late, if you cant redeam it with the link just add me on steam (rhaknarr) and we'll sort it tomorow

Turfster

This is what you get when you gift Secret of the Magic Crystals to your friend. His revenge. (Fortunately, it was not Agarest)

You got LLTQ for Magic Crystals?
You came out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead.

Radio

I'm hoping Rocket and company will actually make the zombies a bit of a threat to where players have to work together to protect themselves from them instead of just the other human players, but I dunno if that'll happen.

Rocket said the engine can support 3,000 zombies spawned on each server, which would look something like this:

(Red = Zombie, Blue=Player)

I think they'll eventually be quite dangerous, especially in the larger cities. I couldn't imagine running into Elektro on that map without a few heavily armed friends.

Kolgar

Cheers to whomever posted the Outlast wallpaper a few pages back. It piqued my interest in the game and, wouldn't you know it, it's on sale for six bucks and change.

Watched the freaky trailer and purchased. Played the first few minutes
driving up to the asylum
and thought, "Oh my, this is going to be scary good fun!"

Also glad to hear it's just four or five hours long. I dig bite-size games these days.

Looking forward to it!

dvize

Banned

7LseY8s.png

Once you get past the graphics, the core of the game is pretty fun. Good enough for one sit-down play.

kurahador

Having a blast playing Arkham Origins. The game is definitely improves some of the aspect in AC.

But man the game is rough, what the hell happen to AA & AC level of polish?

Finished some games.

Tomb Raider - not nearly as bad as I first chalked it up to be. It is on rails, but, they're pretty rails. And lots of fun scene pieces. Controls still a bit wonky for hitpoints (like axe pick jumps) and melee vs shields is annoying. But, for a $4.99 Amazon pickup, it's a fair bit of fun at about 10 hours. If there's a 2, hopefully they can sort some of the few issues.

The Swapper - devilishly difficult to attempt to do in a couple sittings. Later puzzles needed me to think on them. One needed a guide. It mostly goes where you think it's going to go and the ending will have you stare off into the dark and think for a couple minutes. It's a solid $5 game, but, you can probably run across it for cheaper in various places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom