• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013 |OT2| DIE HARD (AND HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would get interested in Guacamalee, after it went on sale. I should have read more into that game earlier when it was on sale.

Also, I've been having at ton of fun with Mass Effect 2. I really hate sci-fi games/movies, but the Mass Effect series usually don't have too much sci-fi stuff that it irritates me. I played Mass Effect 3 before 2, so I mostly know how this game ends. I'm still having fun with it regardless.

One thing I like about it more then ME3, is the good and evil choices. It really does add to what can be said in conversations, and actually effects the story (or at least dialogue).

ME2 is best ME. Have you played the first yet? Because you owe it to yourself to play all 3 in order.

Can someone explain appeal of Dayz?
I wouldn't even consider buying such a game and not exactly because it's early access or MMO, I just don't see any reason to play it, even one.
Is it survival aspect that attracts people?
I haven't played the game, so my opinion is worth next to nothing, but I've scoured the web for stories and accounts of survival and I can say that this game is all those desperate choices, all human-on-human violence, all the uneasy of living in a world without rules, that you've seen in every zombie movie and book given life. It's a story generator, where emergent moments emerge, where alliance, betrayals, cold-hearted cruelty and desperate acts, rare moments of kindness and friendship all thrive.

I really like what I've played of Remember Me, in a lot of ways it feels like a Ninja Theory game. I love the world that they built in Remember Me, I don't normally enjoy highly scripted, cinematic games but I've sat rapt through each cinematic or scripted sequence, just drinking in all of the details. I love science fiction--films, novels, whatever--and I'm totally digging the world they've built and the story they're telling. Been playing with the language set to French with subtitles on, it just seems appropriate. Haven't had an issue with the font size and I'm playing at 1920x1200.

The gameplay alternates between platforming and arena combat sequences. When you're progressing through the game in the paltforming sections you kinda wish that the game was more open. The world looks so cool and you just want to be able to wander through more of it. Remember Me's combat is kind of like a God Hand-lite, you have two editable combos and honestly I wish there were more. Maybe there will be, I dunno, I'm two hours in and systems are still being unlocked and explained to me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I got tired simply by scrolling down!
Did you spend all night at this?

Several hours, made a big longer as I had a pretty nice and long conversation with both Jawmuncher & Tellaerin while I was working on it. But went through every single game on Steam I either didn't own or didn't have wishlisted and determined if I wanted to add it to my wishlist or not (which I use to keep tabs on games I might want to buy sometime).

And this would of been much harder without jshackle's wonderful enhanced Steam, so thank you for that. Already bought you Fate a few days ago, so pretend that was me thanking you ahead of time for helping me with this. XD;

But, why?

Game collector and player, I have a stupid amount of games and decided to go through the whole Steam library I didn't own/have wishlisted and decided which ones I wouldn't mind owning sometime in the future.

Wok

I haven't played the game, so my opinion is worth next to nothing, but I've scoured the web for stories and accounts of survival and I can say that this game is all those desperate choices, all human-on-human violence, all the uneasy of living in a world without rules, that you've seen in every zombie movie and book given life. It's a story generator, where emergent moments emerge, where alliance, betrayals, cold-hearted cruelty and desperate acts, rare moments of kindness and friendship all thrive.

You sold me on the game.

Several hours, made a big longer as I had a pretty nice and long conversation with both Jawmuncher & Tellaerin while I was working on it. But went through every single game on Steam I either didn't own or didn't have wishlisted and determined if I wanted to add it to my wishlist or not (which I use to keep tabs on games I might want to buy sometime).

And this would of been much harder without jshackle's wonderful enhanced Steam, so thank you for that. Already bought you Fate a few days ago, so pretend that was me thanking you ahead of time for helping me with this. XD;

Game collector and player, I have a stupid amount of games and decided to go through the whole Steam library I didn't own/have wishlisted and decided which ones I wouldn't mind owning sometime in the future.

This is some serious dedication.

Alex

I've sincerely never heard of this Spacebase game, which seems odd considering it's from Double Fine... Looks interesting.

joe2187

Banned
My friends activity tab is now a whole lot more fun with all of these new GAF'er friends.

Also, this is something I sent friends feed yesterday they may not see everyday:

Added over 500 games on my Wishlist yesterday.

I did that for the summer sale. I went through the entire Steam catalog (including all DLC) and added everything I would be interested in to my wishlist. I've been adamantly keeping up with it too. It was around 750 at one point. I'm down to 500 now with a few days left in the sale. My game count is around 620 but who knows what my DLC count is at.

It is quite rewarding though isn't it? Glad to see I'm not the only one who did this. :)

Dusk Golem

Harder part comes next year, as I plan to play through and complete at least 150 of them before the years up. Personal challenge, and going to stream all of it and upload the videos onto ala channels. Should be fun.

I did that for the summer sale. I went through the entire Steam catalog (including all DLC) and added everything I would be interested in to my wishlist. I've been adamantly keeping up with it too. It was around 750 at one point. I'm down to 500 now with a few days left in the sale. My game count is around 620 but who knows what my DLC count is at.

It is quite rewarding though isn't it? Glad to see I'm not the only one who did this. :)

It is, especially as a lover of indie, niche titles, and the like. So many underlooked games on Steam, some of them had recorded, like, all-time peak of 4 players or something.

With enhanced Steam, you can see your current stats on DLC though. I currently stand at:

3svc.jpg

fantomena

Damn you, Gabe. Giving repeated sales on Metro, Shadow Warrior, Injustice and other games and you won't still let Deadly Prem get a flash or daily.

I trusted you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You sold me on the game.

To counter-point, the zombies are window-dressing. It's basically a "kill on sight" simulator right now until there's more point to actually fearing the zombies besides their schizophrenic AI.

You could basically do nearly the same thing DayZ is doing right now in Arma just without the zombies and drop tables.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn you, Gabe. Giving repeated sales on Metro, Shadow Warrior, Injustice and other games and you won't still let Deadly Prem get a flash or daily.

I trusted you.

it will, dont worry. Just like Brothers did

Alex

ME2 is best ME. Have you played the first yet? Because you owe it to yourself to play all 3 in order.

Mass Effect is an interesting series because I like all the games best in various little ways. I think I like 2 the best overall but 3 does hand it it's ass in terms of gameplay and controls and other misc elements.

Meanwhile the original probably had my favorite atmosphere and was the most cohesive, I don't think I'd ever want to go back and actually play the OG Mass Effect again, though. It'd be a bit painful after all the progress made.

Really looking forward to the new one, some lessons learned and a clean slate plus all the experience of the other three should result in something lovely, I hope.

Zom

Banned
My friends activity tab is now a whole lot more fun with all of these new GAF'er friends.

Also, this is something I sent friends feed yesterday they may not see everyday:

jeeeesus, better add Steam to is wishlist

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Everyone's voting for ANNO, right?

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Oh god, for a minute there I thought you'd bought them all!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I finished Anno (well, the campaign at least) and I had no problems with DRM :/

this thread will be a ghost town tomorow night, gonna be here all alone (stupid work during new years) :(

Nah, I'll be around [when I'm not in a middle of an XCOM mission] since I'm on the wagon and New Year celebrations don't seem like much fun at my advanced age! :D

Anyone want a 20% off Velocity Ultra coupon? Expires February 1st.

Given the heuuuuuge amound of this I saw in Trashbot's inventory when I was perusing it earlier, probably not! :/

Alex

Only the people that approve of triple layers of DRM, including disc-based ones, on a digital download.
So basically, nobody should vote for that crippleware.

I voted for it, games great, the DRM is a small annoyance but I think it's still worth it.

Dusk Golem

you do NOT want Insect Armageddon.

trust me.

Its too late, I bought it today.

z0r.png

I expect a mediocre game with killing giant insects, which will be good enough for me. I'll be honest, I just want to fight giant insects. Not enough games have cool giant insect enemies. Its the same reason I bought this other Wii horror game.

Escape_from_Bug_Island.jpg

milena87

It's definitely subjective, but I still think ME1 is better. It really depends on whether you like RPG or action more.

I agree. I vastly prefer Mass Effect 1 to 2 as well, but I can see why others would prefer 2 more. I didn't mind the combat of the first one, I actually enjoyed it and preferred it to 2 and 3 (I hate to take cover...).

Anyway, I'm still debating if I should try Nihilumbra or not... it seems interesting, but platformers aren't exactly my favourite games...

steveovig

How is Game Dev Tycoon? My friend described it as nothing more than a fun phone game. The idea sounds interesting but I don't want to spend $5 for a phone game.

Grief.exe

be sure to download/install the free hd texture pack if you haven't already.

Good advice.

Are they well organized? At least keep your top ten the actual top ten games you want.

So I managed to go an entire year without making a Steam purchase (bought plenty of Steam keys from elsewhere, but nothing from Steam proper) and now I can't sell any of the snow globe cards I've gotten from voting and buying. Will I be able to trade these things before they expire (I have 11 right now, will probably end up with 15 or so)?

You sold me on the game.

To counter-point, the zombies are window-dressing. It's basically a "kill on sight" simulator right now until there's more point to actually fearing the zombies besides their schizophrenic AI.

You could basically do nearly the same thing DayZ is doing right now in Arma just without the zombies and drop tables.
Enjoy! If I had the specs, I'd be dropping $30 on the game too. This is one of the sites I used to read through:
http://dayzhq.com/journals/

The Day Z forums also has tons of great stories

Everyone's voting for ANNO, right?

Fuck no, I own it and think nobody should vote for that much DRM. I don't think it binds itself to your hardware anymore, meaning if you changed a component you lost a copy, but it still has TAGES and uPlay on top of Steam.

Anno 2070 was released during the height of Ubisoft's inept and awful DRM schemes and they don't really seem to address these things as they move forward. They're a terrible company and this game is loaded with terrible DRM.

How is Game Dev Tycoon? My friend described it as nothing more than a fun phone game. The idea sounds interesting but I don't want to spend $5 for a phone game.

Poor. Spending $1 or whatever it is on the phone game dev story version is a much better buy.

Anyway, I'm still debating if I should try Nihilumbra or not... it seems interesting, but platformers aren't exactly my favourite games...

For a couple of dollars it is a good pickup (keep in mind more puzzle than platforming, along the lines of a Braid)

clip0218tbu1b.gif

Harder part comes next year, as I plan to play through and complete at least 150 of them before the years up. Personal challenge, and going to stream all of it and upload the videos onto ala channels. Should be fun.

It is, especially as a lover of indie, niche titles, and the like. So many underlooked games on Steam, some of them had recorded, like, all-time peak of 4 players or something.

With enhanced Steam, you can see your current stats on DLC though. I currently stand at:

That's mine. You have me beat. :p

Alex

It's definitely subjective, but I still think ME1 is better. It really depends on whether you like RPG or action more.

ME1 is almost unplayable to me, nowadays, time has been pretty unkind to it... although I still appreciate a lot of it's superficial traits and ideas. To me, most of it's RPG facets were barely functional or just pretty wallpaper anyway...like the reprehensible itemization. Blargh. Series always was and will always be a console-esque action series, IMO.

So, for me, it is 2 > 3 >>> 1. Even with 2 and 3 I kind of go back and forth because while I think the whole thematic and execution of 2 was better but 3 just does the core mechanics and presentation of it all in so much more polished a manner (and multiplayer was really good fun)

Poor. Spending $1 or whatever it is on the phone game dev story version is a much better buy.

I've heard the opposite from like three people now, where it sounds like outside of the Kairo charm this being a better, less easy to break game. I've got wallet funds so I'm probably gonna bite, I'm just a fool for light weight sims.

Grief.exe

So I managed to go an entire year without making a Steam purchase (bought plenty of Steam keys from elsewhere, but nothing from Steam proper) and now I can't sell any of the snow globe cards I've gotten from voting and buying. Will I be able to trade these things before they expire (I have 11 right now, will probably end up with 15 or so)?

You could trade them to someone, have them sell the cards and then they could buy you a Steam game.

derExperte

Why can't you sell anything? And it should tell you when you can. Trading should be disabeled until then too (just try to send a trade offer to someone) and the cards disappear on Friday.

Turfster

Fuck no, I own it and think nobody should vote for that much DRM. I don't think it binds itself to your hardware anymore, meaning if you changed a component you lost a copy,.

It does. They just allow you to change your graphics card now. Aren't they magnanimous and benevolent? Fuck Ubisoft and everyone who supports this kind of "oh but it doesn't hurt me, I hardly ever noticed it" draconian DRM crap.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Only the people that approve of triple layers of DRM, including disc-based ones, on a digital download.
So basically, nobody should vote for that crippleware.

jsRhhOZ.jpg

Probably not.

Well, dammit. It looks like an awesome game.

I finished Anno (well, the campaign at least) and I had no problems with DRM :/

I've never had trouble with Uplay DRM, either. But I don't know if other people can say the same thing. I really hope Anno gets picked, though. Are either of the other two games worth picking up?

Rhaknar

Good game?

oh yeah it was awesome, very...water based (if thats a thing), which was unexpected (I dont know why lol) but I loved it. good tutorials, great graphics, lots of different modes (even if I only played the story, which still took me like 15 hours or more). If it wasnt for evil drm that everyone says is bad but I never have issues with I would highly recomend it.

It also made me very sad that Anno 1407 isnt on steam :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom