• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 | OT | !

Status
Not open for further replies.

_woLf

Would anyone recommend Oblivion over Skyrim ? This is my first elder scrolls game and the only thing i'm worried about is the combat in Oblivion being inferior to the one in Skyrim.

Get Skyrim and wait for the Oblivion to Skyrim conversion mod. Best of both worlds.

Khrno

Would anyone recommend Oblivion over Skyrim ? This is my first elder scrolls game and the only thing i'm worried about is the combat in Oblivion being inferior to the one in Skyrim.

I like the skill trees better in Oblivion, besides that it would be just for the experience of the world/story. I would play both to be honest unless you don't want to put so much time into two massive games, then just go with Skyrim, it's technically better.

Uthred

Damn, was waiting for DW8 to go on sale so I could grab some of the DLC, but none of its on sale, which is mental, because who in the fuck is going to pay €190 for it? (I know its all optional and some of it is even more optional, but still)

So I wasn't interested into Tabletop Simulator until I saw the steam workshop. There are a surprising number of board games that have been recreated to just download for free for this thing. I have to wonder how long this lasts before all this shit gets pulled from the workshop.

eot

Banned
Thanks. You can only buy a copy per account in GMG right?

I'll have to decide which friend will get this for Christmas.

I've bought more than one of the same thing from GMG, though technically they weren't games. I think it should work.

Josman

I've bought 9 games for like $35 including Skyrim LE, Binding of Isaac, Portal 1 and 2, MGR, Dark Souls 1 and 2 and some others, and I'm reading that a lot of you think the sale sucks.

This is my first winter sale so there are a lot of games I didn't have and most of you did but still... they gave away games last winter or what?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I've bought 9 games for like $35 including Skyrim LE, Binding of Isaac, Portal 1 and 2, MGR, Dark Souls 1 and 2 and some others, and I'm reading that a lot of you think the sale sucks.

This is my first winter sale so there are a lot of games I didn't have and most of you did but still... they gave away games last winter or what?
Nah, that was two winters ago.
I miss coal.

Aaron D.

Wow, the community choice has been straight trash, I'd boycott it if it didn't give me cards.

Worst back-to-back community votes I've seen in any Steam sale. oy vey

Huh?

Those two sim games are best in class for their respective sub-genres. Just because you're not familiar with them doesn't make them trash.

IL-2 is a highly respected flight sim that covers period-specific window of aviation with a depth few other developers can touch.

OMSI is the most detailed bus sim on the market. And unlike the more "popular" mundane-vehicle-sims (ETS2, FS15, TS2015), it doesn't have common word-of-mouth to bubble it to the surface for general audiences. So good on them for the well-deserved exposure.

Cripes, what do you want up there? Another Batman Arkahm game or something?

This sale isn't that bad. I think the main problem is many here are getting to the point where they have just about everything that good / decent so are running out of options on things to buy. If your a newcomer to Winter sale this has been plenty good.

The community vote though has been truly horrible. Also the lack of a meta game kinda sucks.

Picked up Chivalry today since a friend and I have been looking for something to play together and we missed out on borderlands the other day because he didnt answer my text.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Thanks. You can only buy a copy per account in GMG right?

I'll have to decide which friend will get this for Christmas.
Yeah, GMG. They have a 20% off code that you can use if you don't have credit. You can buy as many copies as you like from GMG I think, i accidentally added two copies to my basket and it didn't complain.

Today's sale: have it already, have it already, not a big enough discount, meh, have it already, OH MY GOD OMSI 2 IS IN THE COMMUNITY VOTE EVERYONE VOTE FOR IT OH MY GOD PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE THAT GAME NEVER GOES ON SALE.

Though I read the reviews and it sounds like there might be a lot of bugs, which sucks. But still, it sounds like one of the best bus simulators on the market right now!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So how is Endless legend?

It's great. Finished a play through yesterday (bought during last sale), If you like Civ you'll like it. Similar concept but with a few different systems to make it interesting.

The biggest one seems to be the combat system, which takes you in to a tactical battlefield where you can manually fight the battle. Unfortunately, it sucks and doesn't work out how you want most of the time so I just "auto-resolved" battles which makes it basically identical to Civ warfare (show up with a superior force and you will win most of the time).

You get little story quest lines for your faction (explore ruins, take this city, etc) and then you get rewards like luxury resources or unique items.

You get heroes, basically kind of like Great Generals in Civ. They give bonuses to their armies but can also fight themselves.

You can customize your units by attaining resources and then crafting weapons, armor, and items from them. You can also customize your heroes. Or you can assign the heroes to basically be mayors of cities and give the city bonuses.

Some sort of marketplace where you can buy and sell things (including units and heroes) that I didn't mess around with.

Really, really great music. Also excellent visuals and UI.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Explodemon -- MB-0BD406B815A37A63 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Guns'n'Zombies -- MB-A54D856157BB5635 - Taken by Rand6
Deponia -- MB-77D4B201B5746D2C - Taken by Purkake4
Koya Rift -- MB-16EB33F9EB905EA6
Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-B97550B54F9D6B05 - Taken by Rawket Lawnchair
Boson X -- MB-12D60DA5DC9AA2BC - Taken by arts&crafts
Pixel Hunter -- MB-9C51CE4967702EE2

BadAss2961

So if I buy 400 Days and Walking Dead Season 2, should I expect my Walking Dead saves to work and carry over? Or is it a bit of a crapshoot?

I had no problems with season 1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, GMG. They have a 20% off code that you can use if you don't have credit. You can buy as many copies as you like from GMG I think, i accidentally added two copies to my basket and it didn't complain.

Yeah, GMG has supported multiple copies for quite a while now. Nuuvem, however, is sorely lagging behind in that regard -- I had to make an alt. account to help someone with Ground Zeroes.

gabbo

And that's why

So if I buy 400 Days and Walking Dead Season 2, should I expect my Walking Dead saves to work and carry over? Or is it a bit of a crapshoot?

I had trouble getting my saves to come across to Season 2 but I know others that had no problem. Hopefully mine was just a rare case of stupid.

Worked absolutely fine for me doing that.

You never know with TellTale's games, though. At times it seems like they're held together via sheer willpower.

Molemitts

It should recognize the Season 1 saves as soon as you start a new game. As long as you're on the same system you played Season 1 on, the saves don't go on the Steam Cloud.

BadAss2961

I had trouble getting my saves to come across to Season 2 but I know others that had no problem. Hopefully mine was just a rare case of stupid.
Worked absolutely fine for me doing that.

You never know with TellTale's games, though. At times it seems like they're held together via sheer willpower.
It should recognize the Season 1 saves as soon as you start a new game. As long as you're on the same system you played Season 1 on, the saves don't go on the Steam Cloud.
Thanks.

I guess i'll try my luck. Will probably buy The Wolf Among Us too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom