• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2015 - Steam GOTY results: Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Fingers crossed that Dying Light unlocks here in 40 minutes instead of the stated 20 hours (well, 19 hours and 40 minutes in actuality).

why? it's not like you're going to play it or anything anyway ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
why? it's not like you're going to play it or anything anyway ;)

Haha, I'd give it a bit of a whirl as I plan on doing the PC performance thread. If the unlock timer doesn't change, though, then I'll probably be beaten to the punch.

derExperte

Happy Australia Day mates! It's time to enjoy some true blue aussie made games!

Yay, Android Assault Cactus!

But what does

cobber,

Time to be ocker and celebrate 'straya! Have a tinny, blue with a roo over the last snag on the barbie, then take this little ripper straight to the pool room!

Have Fun, Bluey

even mean? Australian English is hard. So hard.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair High Voltage, the studio who handled the port, are seemingly incompetent given their work with the ZoE HD collection so I wouldn't let it reflect on the consoles too much. But of course both are relatively weak so PC is the way to go if you want the best experience as always.
Is the ZoE HD collection bad? I was thinking of grabbing it on PS3, never having played the original games before.

Not really fair to pity console owners because of a bad port because this is something the PC is definitely no stranger to as well.

But i have to agree, this looks really terrible. I would never have guessed that this is the current gen version.
The difference is that some of these bad ports have fan-made patches that make them a bit less crappier, while on a console your only option is to hope the devs release an official patch.

SaintsRowIV-2015-01-25-18-4.gif

I pity anyone who bought curgen consoles instead of upgrading their PC. Seriously...

What the hell, it can't look that bad...

That reminds me I have to finish the PC version.

Good to hear, I'll get it eventually. Those games are supposed to be good, right?
The first game is more of a proof of concept. It's about 3 hours long(4 if you grind levels early on) and still manages to outstay its welcome despite great bosses. Also has some really obscure, annoying conditions for getting the best ending. Not to mention the main character does nothing but whine for the duration of the game. The sequel however is a massive improvement. Tons of verticality, one great set piece after another, stunning production values, varied weapons and so on. Really deserves its reputation and its pace really sets it apart from other mech games. Holds up very well!

Uzzy

Finished Resident Evil. Funnily enough, it's my first time ever playing that game. Really enjoyed it. The time's nothing to be proud of, but I think I'll be playing this again real soon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The first game is more of a proof of concept. It's about 3 hours long(4 if you grind levels early on) and still manages to outstay its welcome despite great bosses. Also has some really obscure, annoying conditions for getting the best ending. Not to mention the main character does nothing but whine for the duration of the game. The sequel however is a massive improvement. Tons of verticality, one great set piece after another, stunning production values, varied weapons and so on. Really deserves its reputation and its pace really sets it apart from other mech games. Holds up very well!
Oh, I can deal with this. I liked Raiden in MGS2 and started to like Hope in FF XIII (which I'm still playing at the moment, currently 24 hours in). If it's 4 hours long I can probably tolerate it.

Beat Neptunia Rebirth on the Vita.
Now I'm 100% ready to...buy and play through the game again on Steam..

Really wish I could transfer save-data. This is one of those games where new stuff is unlocked on your second play-through.

Oh well. =(

Jawmuncher

Beat Neptunia Rebirth on the Vita.
Now I'm 100% ready to...buy and play through the game again on Steam..

Really wish I could transfer save-data. This is one of those games where new stuff is unlocked on your second play-through.

Oh well. =(

I really wish it would have hit 15 bucks on vita before PC. I love jrpgs on the go. Then again I haven't played a jrpg on a system/pc in awhile.

dex3108

So today is CMAD (Community Manager Appreciation Day) and because MRORANGE is so awesome and creates Steam OT he is in one way our CM :D So happy CMAD MRORANGE :D

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, the arguments used by the console folk are also not fair:
  • PC has no exclusive games (and by exclusives we mean titles made by internal Sony/MS/Nintendo studios, and not titles like Civilization, Crusader Kings, Football Manager or indie titles. Those don't count)
  • PC is more expensive (even if it's not and has not been more expensive than consoles for at least few years)
  • Consoles have Gamestop for cheaper games (no mention of $1 Humble Bundles, because they don't count)
  • Consoles don't have patches, DirectX runtimes, etc (no mention that they do have patches, more often than not mandatory 5+GB affairs)
  • There's no noticable difference between 30fps and 60fps (except when there's a PS4 version running at 60 and XB1 version running at 30, then everyone notices that immediately)

Given that this is a PC only thread, I think I'm allowed a bit of snark.
I got the urge to play GT6 on my PS3 yesterday. Needed an update. Ok. Spent half an hour downloading the update. Annoying, but whatever. Has some new, free content, so I'm alright with that. Oh, but then it needs to install! But before it could do that, it had to prepare to install, which took about 5 minutes on its own. Just preparing to install. Then a bar came up with an estimated time of 50 minutes. Fucking Christ, I say. Whatever, I'll let it install and come back in an hour. I wont have a lot of time to play, but it'll be done at least. Come back in an hour and it shows about 33% through and a popup that says the system is going to shut off soon. Shuts off. Restart the machine, it says it was improperly shut down and needs to restore files. After that's done I go back to GT6. Says it needs to install again obviously, but now it estimates 200 minutes.

So I never got to play the game.

Convenient and hassle free my ass.

Yay, Android Assault Cactus!

But what does
Dear c̶o̶b̶b̶e̶r̶ friend,

Time to be o̶c̶k̶e̶r̶ unsophisticated and celebrate '̶s̶t̶r̶a̶y̶a̶ Australia! Have a t̶i̶n̶n̶y̶ can of beer, b̶l̶u̶e̶ fight with a r̶o̶o̶ kangaroo over the last s̶n̶a̶g̶ sausage on the b̶a̶r̶b̶i̶e̶ barbeque, then take this l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶r̶i̶p̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶l̶ ̶r̶o̶o̶m̶ good game and treasure it!

even mean? Australian English is hard. So hard.
Translated :p

Kaleinc

Banned
I got the urge to play GT6 on my PS3 yesterday. Needed an update. Ok. Spent half an hour downloading the update. Annoying, but whatever. Has some new, free content, so I'm alright with that. Oh, but then it needs to install! But before it could do that, it had to prepare to install, which took about 5 minutes on its own. Just preparing to install. Then a bar came up with an estimated time of 50 minutes. Fucking Christ, I say. Whatever, I'll let it install and come back in an hour. I wont have a lot of time to play, but it'll be done at least. Come back in an hour and it shows about 33% through and a popup that says the system is going to shut off soon. Shuts off. Restart the machine, it says it was improperly shut down and needs to restore files. After that's done I go back to GT6. Says it needs to install again obviously, but now it estimates 200 minutes.

You had to swap internal HDD with an SSD for hassle free insert and play experience.

Nzyme32

I ended up posting a thread about my experience with the PS3 and particularly GT5, which was the most frustrating experience I have had with any system. Most definitely not convinient: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904934

I've been given a PS3 for a while and have been working through games such as Ni No Kuni, Metal Gear Legacy, Last of Us etc. Thought I'd give Gran Turismo 5 a go since it's in the pile.

Now I understand that the games are old at this point and all of them have updates since features have been taken offline or new content was added, patched etc etc. MGS 4 for example had a 700mb download that takes out MGO and patches a bunch, but just a nice single update.

Gran Turismo 5 on the other hand is the first game I have got to that needs consecutive updates and 27 of them to boot. And they are not small either.

Why does it need to do this, and why is it considered reasonable on a console? I was kind of just expecting to hop in within 5 minutes tops but instead I'm at the 4 hour marks and only 66% through at update 12/27

What was both utterly dismaying and hilarious is that after all those updates, there was still more:

This is amazing. 7 hours later, I finally have the updates installed and launch the game to find that an installation is recommended and will take another 25mins. Just fantastic.

gabbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom