• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Humble Bundle leftovers

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (boybrushdRED, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mirror's Edge -- MB-11C20DC6DB47232F - Taken by Ascheroth. 9 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-97D2A77212A85B5D - Taken by Erudite. 1 entrants total.

t1469379832z1.png

VoidDragon;211192722]Something I've been wondering for a while now, what is this thread actually for? The Title and OP implies it's for discussion about Steam and Steam-related things, but it seems most of the posts here have nothing at all to do with that.
There is a little bit of churn in users since the summer sale and general vacation time, but I think there's a little groove starting.

A big part of Steam use is deal searching and because of publishers selling keys on other sites that naturally leads to bargain and bundle hunting internet wide. Some games that aren't on Steam are still sought after as many users are collectors (as seen on the last page), and half the time there's a, "let's get this game on Steam" from someone anyway.

The last page had sales numbers talk, game impressions, troubleshooting, offline achievements, and input/tech preference discussion. All seem fine and enjoyable to me.

So what I'm saying is, "most of the posts" is not at all true. Some sure. Sometimes it's been more noise to signal than it currently is.

And for you: top five Steam games, go!

Something I've been wondering for a while now, what is this thread actually for? The Title and OP implies it's for discussion about Steam and Steam-related things, but it seems most of the posts here have nothing at all to do with that.
we've talked about this lots of times, I think nothing good comes from debating it, it gets worse and better from time to time.

I mention this in the other thread - rather than a "one life" mode, they need to force a "ironman" kind of mode, where failures / poor choices must be stuck with. Also, harder difficulty / challenge would be massively preferable over a simply "one life"

This would be really good. I have a friend who is currently going through DXHR for the first time and he can't help himself from save scumming every time he gets detected by enemies or if a conversation doesn't go perfectly. He admits it's ruining the game for him but he can't stop himself from doing it.

I have a new gaming PC thanks to finding an alpha on an absurd closeout price at Walmart ($289). I threw in more ram and an SSD and am loving it. I think I have fallen in love with PC gaming!

Quick question: how do yoku keep up with all of game sales and bundles out there? Are there any sketchy game stores that I should avoid?

This would be really good. I have a friend who is currently going through DXHR for the first time and he can't help himself from save scumming every time he gets detected by enemies or if a conversation doesn't go perfectly. He admits it's ruining the game for him but he can't stop himself from doing it.

I started falling into this while playing Witcher 3 and I stopped playing for a while because of it.

When I finally came back to it, I had fallen out of the habit and really started enjoying it again.

Relying too heavily on wikis or these ancient scrolls that used to exist called "guides" will ruin a game for me. Demons Souls dropped because of it and it wasn't until after Dark Souks that I was able to come back to it, playing cleanly, to realize it is the best in the series.

I have a new gaming PC thanks to finding an alpha on an absurd closeout price at Walmart ($289). I threw in more ram and an SSD and am loving it. I think I have fallen in love with PC gaming!

Quick question: how do yoku keep up with all of game sales and bundles out there? Are there any sketchy game stores that I should avoid?

G2A, CDkeys, Kinguin.

Arthea

welcome aboard
for keeping up with sales and bundles, this site is the best
https://isthereanydeal.com/

together with following this thread

as for trusted retailers, these should be in OP somewhere

edited: actually the list is not there anymore, for some reason
well, basically all stores you find mentioned on isthereanydeal are legit

Anteater

Codemasters doesn't own the game and Rebel Act Studios no longer exists.

Edit: I assume Friendware is sitting on it, if the company still exists. Sounds like a job for Night Dive.

Edit edit: Moby Games says the last game it distributed was 2011's 15 Days and the official website link just leads to a squat page, so it's probably defunct.

It got delisted due to licensing iirc
Funnily enough i apparently purchased it before :3

good question, no idea. it was one of my top favourite games back in the day. now theres an idea for a worthwile remaster! either way, it would certainly find its place on steam, especially now when Dark Souls series is so popular

aww man I wanna play it :(

Yakkue

Where is my Heart? is really cute.
You control three different characters through a fragmented level to the exit, collecting hearts on the way.
whereismyheartdeued.png

Some hearts can only be obtained by a specific character, and some levels allow your characters to develop new abilities, such as rotating the level 90°. It's a charming little puzzle platformer that plays with perception. Incredible level design and very pleasant to play.

I have new gaming PC thanks to finding an alpha on an absurd closeout price at Walmart ($289). I threw in more ram and an SSD and am loving it. I think I have fallen in love with PC gaming!

Email subscribe to humble bundle, bundlestars, indie gala, groupees. Those are the best from highest quality to lowest. There are a lot of cheap games sold in the BST thread, especially if you are starting a Steam library.

Install Enhanced Steam on your browser to make shopping and deal comparing better.

What kind of games to do you like? Are you coming back to gaming or just new to the PC?

Oh, and Origin and Uplay aren't that bad.

Where is my Heart? is really cute.
You control three different characters through a fragmented level to the exit, collecting hearts on the way.
whereismyheartdeued.png

Some hearts can only be obtained by a specific character, and some levels allow your characters to develop new abilities, such as rotating the level 90°. It's a charming little puzzle platformer that plays with perception. Incredible level design and very pleasant to play.
thanks for the impressions, looks like a nice puzzle platformer.

Eila

Half Minute Hero 2 got soooo hype towards the end. I wasn't feeling it as much as the first one at the beginning as they changed the formula considerably but now I can say I prefer it. Both games are very good.

Ludens

Banned
Those GMG Vip discounts are crap. I see something I can be interested in, I log just to discover my VIP status gives me an additional 1% off. Great.

Can you actually even buy using non-vip prices on GMG, since you do need account?

Seems like stupid gimmick.

Yes you can and i did it two days ago. Added something to the cart, logged in and checked out. Went back to the front page and saw that it was almost 50% cheaper for vip's.
Its a stupid system nonetheless.

Ludens

Banned
Another thing I don't understand is, why you put games on sale if I can get them, much cheaper, in other sites in this exact same moment? Why someone should spend almost 8€ on vanilla Mafia 2 while he can get the Deluxe version with all DLCs for some cents more with the Humble 2K Bundle?

Regginator

Another thing I don't understand is, why you put games on sale if I can get them, much cheaper, in other sites in this exact same moment? Why someone should spend almost 8€ on vanilla Mafia 2 while he can get the Deluxe version with all DLCs for some cents more with the Humble 2K Bundle?

Not knowing there's a bundle could be a reason.

edit: Whoops, you meant the webstores offering the games, I thought consumers. I suppose for the reasons stated by Phinor.

Phinor

Because those deals have been confirmed with the publisher often weeks or even months in advance. You don't remove those deals just because other sites have the game at cheaper price at the same time.

That's not to say the sale isn't crap, it is filled with crap and very few good games with decent discounts. And this is the sale they kept hyping for quite a while too. Your typical VIP deals in the past were better than this whole sale.

Regginator

but that link doesn't contain rocket league tips to become a better player :p

As cliche as it sounds, just play. In my experience that's the best way to learn. If you can handle the basics and score tap-ins, or basically just hit the ball and make it go towards your intended position, it's never too early to experiment with flying (jumping, nose up, boost) since it's very versatile, both in defensive and offensive aspects.

For everyone who is pissed about the "get Trials of the Blood Dragon for Free if you beat the demo" thing.

GreenManGaming has the game for like less than $4. I finished it yesterday and it seems about the right price. I'm bummed because it seems like a decent game if they took out the stupid gimicky jetpack out of the game (easily the worst part of that game) and some of the shooting on foot levels. The Turbo flip seems really fun, I wish they didn't stick it in 3, 20 second chunks in the game.

Mivey

Life is Strange(TM) episode one done.
Strong candidate for a GOTY if the other episodes are as good as this was.

Funny, I played it and I thought "This is the Telltale formula done right, both technically and artistically." and yet I absolutely don't care for this sort of adventure game. I want stuff where I have to analyse a world, find stuff and work on tough, sometimes borderline insane puzzles. Whereas the Telltale school of adventure gaming is more about "walk somewhere, some stuff happens, you choose, repeat 10 times".
I guess this is what it feels like to be old and out of touch. I think I will deal with it by being a smug bastard.

Knurek

Funny, I played it and I thought "This is the Telltale formula done right, both technically and artistically." and yet I absolutely don't care for this sort of adventure game. I want stuff where I have to analyse a world, find stuff and work on tough, sometimes borderline insane puzzles. Whereas the Telltale school of adventure gaming is more about "walk somewhere, some stuff happens, you choose, repeat 10 times".
I guess this is what it feels like to be old and out of touch. I think I will deal with it by being a smug bastard.

I wouldn't necessarily call Telltale products adventure games.
They have more in common with Visual Novels of all things. Visual Novels crossed with American TV shows.
Pretty sure that's why I like them so much.

While not exactly my favorite genre I think these Telltale/Quantic Dream style of games are definitely enjoyable to play from time to time.

Transformers is a lot of fun. Great soundtrack and great combat.

I also started the game a few days ago, and I'm playing it on Commander difficulty. Which makes most of the fights a bit longer than they need to be, as a lot of enemies seem to have way too much health on them. Kinda tempted to go back to Normal now.

Tellaerin

I think you've just nailed why I've never been able to get into adventure games. You have this setup for what should be an interesting story, and then suddenly you're hit with ludicrous puzzles where you're scrounging around putting everything that's not bolted down into your pockets and trying to use them all in some kind of Rube Goldberg-esque way to do something simple like open a door. That sort of thing kills any sense of immersion I might have. It's like it's beating me over the head. "Game. GAME. You're playing a GAME." It's like trying to get into a novel where every fifth paragraph is a reminder that you're just reading a book, and none of these characters or their lives actually mean anything.

I think it's one of the reasons I like JRPGs. Those have a strong narrative element too, which is a big draw for me, but the gameplay in them is mostly combat, which doesn't kill my suspension of disbelief the way artificially convoluted puzzles do.

Mivey

You have this setup for what should be an interesting story, and then suddenly you're hit with ludicrous puzzles where you're scrounging around putting everything that's not bolted down into your pockets and trying to use them all in some kind of Rube Goldberg-esque way to do something simple like open a door. That sort of thing kills any sense of immersion I might have. .
Ideally, the puzzle are supposed to make you understand the game world better. I can give you a game I just recently bought and started playing as an example: Stasis.
There is a scene where you enter a morgue and need to open a furnace to proceed. It doesn't manually open, so you are stuck at first. I simply thought: "Okay, if I worked here, when would I need this thing? Well, to dispose bodies after they have been examined. So ideally, the thing should open when a body is near it. But they are just fozen slabs of meat, so something else must be needed to identify them for the system." At that point I looked at the stuff I carried. One of them was a "toe tag" that was on one of the bodies outside (you pick it up automatically when you open the bag). So, you use it on the furnace, and it opens!
That right there gives you a small piece of knowledge about how this world works. Of course, if the designer cannot anticipate well how the player would think about it, it can be frustrating. It is an incomplete and sort of dirty method, since there is no way to make this work for everyone. So I can of course understand how this is a super niche thing, and often done rather ineptly in games.

dickroach

For everyone who is pissed about the "get Trials of the Blood Dragon for Free if you beat the demo" thing.

GreenManGaming has the game for like less than $4. I finished it yesterday and it seems about the right price. I'm bummed because it seems like a decent game if they took out the stupid gimicky jetpack out of the game (easily the worst part of that game) and some of the shooting on foot levels. The Turbo flip seems really fun, I wish they didn't stick it in 3, 20 second chunks in the game.
I really liked the demo; and it worked fine for me. got to level 5. I'd totally buy the full game for $4.... but it's still at like $13 on GMG. where are you seeing $4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom