• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelf

Funny, I played it and I thought "This is the Telltale formula done right, both technically and artistically." and yet I absolutely don't care for this sort of adventure game. I want stuff where I have to analyse a world, find stuff and work on tough, sometimes borderline insane puzzles. Whereas the Telltale school of adventure gaming is more about "walk somewhere, some stuff happens, you choose, repeat 10 times".
I guess this is what it feels like to be old and out of touch. I think I will deal with it by being a smug bastard.

I feel the same way. Really If I'm not having to work out that I need to use the rubber chicken on the zipwire I'm not fully engaged. I need that more then I need a cohesive narrative in these type of games.

mp1990

Banned
Finished 40 games so far, i'm at the final sprint for my 52 Challenge.

I envy you. Have only beaten 26 so far, which is a pretty underwhelming number compared to last year, where I managed to complete the 52 games in a year challenge.

2iZ30xT.png

Also, in hindsight, I "made the most" out of my gaming time last year, playing many outstanding self contained games, in contrast with this year, where I focused more on open ended and multiplayer experiences. That said, I've already rewatched The Goodfellas 8 times this year already, so I'd say it hasn't been a complete waste so far.

Endruen

I envy you. Have only beaten 26 so far, which is a pretty underwhelming number compared to last year, where I managed to complete the 52 games in a year challenge.

Also, in hindsight, I "made the most" out of my gaming time last year, playing many outstanding self contained games, in contrast with this year, where I focused more on open ended and multiplayer experiences. That said, I've already rewatched The Goodfellas 8 times this year already, so I'd say it hasn't been a complete waste so far.

I would like to know how did you manage to beat Overwatch.

mp1990

Banned
I would like to know how did you manage to beat Overwatch.

In the case of MP focused games, when I feel like I've "exhausted" all the content available, I feel like I can consider it beaten. Not to say I won't go back to it, of course, but that I've had enough to make up my mind. In Overwatch, I've already spent 40 hours, and although I'm still far from being competent with all "classes", I feel like I've experienced enough and can share my thoughts on it.

Jawmuncher

If you put just as much time into a MP game as you would playing a decent SP campaign. It counts as being beat for the list. You gave that game a good amount of your time and maybe even more in the future. Plus a 30 minute game would count towards it too if it's beaten. So there's definitely a gray area.

I also started the game a few days ago, and I'm playing it on Commander difficulty. Which makes most of the fights a bit longer than they need to be, as a lot of enemies seem to have way too much health on them. Kinda tempted to go back to Normal now.

I started playing on hard too... refunded it, was told the game is balanced around loot drops for harder difficulties.

A bit disappointing tbh but it's fun at least. I wasn't doing much damage on hard either, and that was the first mission.

Arthea

Wait, what's so bad about Chloe?
unless you hate all teenagers on principle, I mean.
you guys are stranger than life

I doubt I'll beat 30 games, let alone 52. Playing lots of rpgs certainly doesn't help. Tackling 60-80 hour games when you have less than an hour per day on average will make you end up with a short list.
Started Trails of Cold Steel in late february, 30 hours in, not even halfway through.
Beat Blood&Wine last week, still lots of sidequests to do but I'm gonna start Digimon Cyber Sleuth now.
Also started Shadowrun Dragonfall.
On handhelds progress is so much faster, playing Persona 2 IS on the vita and progressing at a crazy pace, all those 15-20 minutes bursts really add up.
Got a new phone so I'm going to look into Brave Exius to see what all the fuss is about.
I hope I get some of this stuff done before Gravity Rush 2 is out.
I feel I have way too much on my plate lol.
Was actually gonna resist Digimon despite the huge discount so soon after its release but my brother bought it. Shadowrun was so cheap during the steam sale I bought it with card money.
It's hard to resist playing a game for months after owning it. Damn sales. Not even being broke can save me from building a backlog.

Tellaerin

Bleh, I feel myself stalling out in Lightning Returns. I'm at the point where I want to wrap it up, but I've hit a wall with this Ereshkigal fight. Can't seem to stagger him, even after messing with my loadouts. (Well, schemas. Schemae? Whatever.) Not usually keen on hitting up a guide and following the recipe to bake a victory cake, but I may end up making an exception here.

Jawmuncher

Bleh, I feel myself stalling out in Lightning Returns. I'm at the point where I want to wrap it up, but I've hit a wall with this Ereshkigal fight. Can't seem to stagger him, even after messing with my loadouts. (Well, schemas. Schemae? Whatever.) Not usually keen on hitting up a guide and following the recipe to bake a victory cake, but I may end up making an exception here.

Should've played on easy.

dickroach

Finished 40 games so far, i'm at the final sprint for my 52 Challenge.

I started off mad slow, but I'm on a crazy "I will beat so many games" thing right now. I have 300something on backblog, so no way that's doable, but by the end of August: Dark Souls, I Am Setsuna, A Story About My Uncle, AVGN1, Assault Android Cactus, Sonic Generations (already got like 2 hr in), Strider.
I hit up like 5 this month. and I think I could kill Sonic

Tellaerin

Should've played on easy.

I usually play everything on normal since I figure that's the difficulty the developer wanted me to experience the game on. Maybe it's just me, but this and that Aeronite fight both seem like ridiculous difficulty spikes compared to the rest of the stuff I've fought so far.

Jawmuncher

I usually play everything on normal since I figure that's the difficulty the developer wanted me to experience the game on. Maybe it's just me, but this and that Aeronite fight both seem like ridiculous difficulty spikes compared to the rest of the stuff I've fought so far.

FFXIII-2 had the same problem. Especially with the bleeding system.

Nzyme32

For fucks sake, I hate Windows 10.

I only have the usual game clients, office, DAW software, science journal software, chrome, drivers etc installed - and somehow windows 10 has slowly shit itself under 2 months through its own fucking updates system from a fucking clean install. I can guarantee no weirdness or virus / malware on my part considering nothing unofficial has been downloaded

Basically:
- Somewhere along the line a windows update has cocked a ton of things up within windows as this is apparently an issue lots of people have
- started with "Group Policy Client service has failed to sign in" after one update, seemingly randomly occurring on start up preventing any login
- then a subsequent update started a new trend of win32 apps randomly not opening at all, but UWP stuff is fine until a restart (pretty much the first issue failing more frequently than just start up)
- now Windows update will not update at all, stuck at 0%, and the service itself can not be stopped even via command prompt fuckery. Can't even successfully shutdown since windows can't stop the process either

Now I have to spend my time clean installing everything just to nuke the fucking mess. Never had such problems with Windows 7. Fuck this noise

Sarcasm

First I heard of it. Then again I got updates set to notify for download and install (I got pro).

Also have local account and telemetry blocked.

Thing is I installed W10 on my wife's computer and inlaws. They have been using it with no such issues. My system is 5+ years old.

What update is it?

Nzyme32

First I heard of it. Then again I got updates set to notify for download and install (I got pro).

Also have local account and telemetry blocked.

Thing is I installed W10 on my wife's computer and inlaws. They have been using it with no such issues. My system is 5+ years old.

What update is it?

The update that is currently "stuck" is a Windows Defender Definitions update. However all these issues started with one of the Windows updates that very cheekily altered my account settings, including default applications, UAC and privacy settings. The specific update was actually called out by Microsoft as a bug for doing all that. Checking the history also confirms this time line of events and the issues, though the latest update issue is beyond me, I assume in someway connected to the previous.

Maybe I'll just stay on W7 after all. I've been having huge issues with Windows Update not working on my machine, been searching all over the internet for fixes but nothing has been working. I don't know how many times I've tried upgrading to 10 but it just won't work.

Nzyme32

Maybe I'll just stay on W7 after all. I've been having huge issues with Windows Update not working on my machine, been searching all over the internet for fixes but nothing has been working. I don't know how many times I've tried upgrading to 10 but it just won't work.

Great to see I'm not just going crazy here with the anonymous internet folks complaining with similar issues.

I've had multiple issues outside of just this. On some occasions I can't even used the settings app since certain sections won't load, so you have to do a full restart. It's maddening, especially with my above issues now, undoubtedly down to Windows Updates themselves.

Grief.exe

You can do a clean install from USB stick now and it will detect your Windows 7 key during install. I would recommend doing this just so you have a free Windows 10 key before the period ends.

gngf123

Tonight my Rocket League decided to reunlock everything, and reset my cars and config options. Really no idea why, first time in 400+ hours.

Legitimately forgot how terrible it is with the default camera + camera shake.

Nzyme32

You can do a clean install from USB stick now and it will detect your Windows 7 key during install. I would recommend doing this just so you have a free Windows 10 key before the period ends.

I'd also agree - without the issues, Win 10 was perfectly fine, and you might as well do it simply for the key, and you can back out to whatever OS should you choose later. When I did it, I did a clean install and just typed in my Win7 key, which it was happy with.

I'm gonna give Win10 one more spin, since I'm fairly sure the root update that caused all this was rectified by microsoft after the complaints

septicore

Monster Hunter Generations is eating all my gaming time before I can complete my 52 games for the year.

Although, I'm at 42 games beaten right now, so I ain't that far behind.

kagamin

Windows 10 seems okay. I disabled everything and anything I could find that I didn't want and it works fine and PPSSPP runs the same as it did before. I rate it okay out of amazingly exceeding expectations. Also I won't get to use my computer for 2 weeks anyways so it doesn't really matter too much I guess.

Windows 10 seems okay. I disabled everything and anything I could find that I didn't want and it works fine and PPSSPP runs the same as it did before. I rate it okay out of amazingly exceeding expectations. Also I won't get to use my computer for 2 weeks anyways so it doesn't really matter too much I guess.

but the anniversary update comes out in 9 days though

pivoted review is pivoted

Knowing my luck, I'll have my PC in working order and that update will fuck everything up

That's my fear.

I'll probably skip the free update and keep Windows 7 until my computer utterly shits the bed or gets to the point where I can't play some games I'm interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom