• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hermit

Well that NX leak is interesting. How long until Nintendo comes to PC?

I think NX is the first step of Nintendo into PC.

I don't mean that its gonna fail, but that the way they are building this new machine will make them closer to PC naturally.

I was thinking, in the future, they could attach the device on existing hardware. With Vulkan allowing asymmetrical synchronization, what could stop them to eventually use the card we have in the PC plus the X1 or 2 and having the option to play the game on 4k or so?

Its a wild dream, but a good one though. I am honestly glad they are not chasing the so called "graphics parity" because its a lost battle on the console side already.

yuraya

Well that NX leak is interesting. How long until Nintendo comes to PC?

Nintendo is doomed

I really can't believe they are gonna be chasing some hybrid handheld thing after the success they just had with cell phones and Pokemon GO. Like the entire casual world just told Nintendo that they don't give a shit about its hardware. Yet here they continuing to do this gimmicky stuff. Should have just made a traditional powerful console for hardcore gamers while putting the rest of their focus on Android/iOS.

And supposedly there won't be backwards compatibility with the NX? Yea that is gonna be a rough few years before it has a library that justifies the purchase.

Jawmuncher

"top developers"
linkfilter

I wish them well but I see this doing about the same as insomniacs PC game.

Wok

Sega brought together some top indie devs for HELP: The Game. It's out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/472770/

HELP: The Game is a project which brings together the top developers, studios and gaming industry superstars - all to raise money for children in war.

War Child supports and protects children whose lives have been disrupted by war and conflict. Our programmes are rebuilding lives across Afghanistan, Iraq, Jordan, Uganda, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Central African Republic.

Hopefully this will do well :x

If you scroll down on the page, you can check each game of the bundle.

1. Anthelion: Super simple mechanic, but highly challenging game play with endless levels that will keep you entertained for hours!
  2. 10 Minute Tower: With a little imagination you can be anything… A mighty Robot… a brave Knight… even… an Astronaut? This is a unique tile-based puzzle game that will get your cogs whirring as you take control of a day-dreaming child adventurer trapped within a tower.
  3. BlockAid: Provide safe passage to a never ending stream of pawns by placing blocks themed around protection, education and livelihood in this minimalistic.
  4. Octamari Rescue: Save the loveable Octamari from their dying home world in this fast paced and fun match 3 puzzle game.
  5. Rise: Experience our music-driven platform adventure and aim for the highest score! You can even use your own music! Go on a metaphysical journey to the sky and beyond collecting war letters for a loved one.
  6. Splash Bash: Splash Bash is a hectic local multiplayer brawler, where up to 4 players tries to bash each other into the water using physics based gameplay!
  7. Captain Curve’s Intergalactic Space Adventure: Captain Curve’s Intergalactic Space Adventure is a fast-paced endless runner based on daydreams, featuring exciting minigames and different environments.
  8. Malkia: Where there's life, there's hope... Malkia is a unique real-time strategy game set in the fictional Central African country of Kovi, where you help the eponymous hero to grow her business so that she can put food on the family's table and educate her children.
  9. Nevermine: A ball rolling game where you guide a Mine Kafon onto unexploded bombs left over around a countryside.
  10. Savana: Savana is a narrative point and click game where you play as a young girl from a remote village. The narration of the game tells different story lines from a real life experience of growing up in Mozambique.
  11. A Verdant Hue: A single screen, farming game, as an orphan who's survived recent attacks and is determined to bring back some life to his family farm.
  12. Emily: Displaced: A choice-based visual novel about a child affected by war

1. http://store.steampowered.com/app/494000/
  2. http://store.steampowered.com/app/477010/
  3. http://store.steampowered.com/app/489810/
  4. http://store.steampowered.com/app/490430/
  5. http://store.steampowered.com/app/497380/
  6. http://store.steampowered.com/app/494020/
  7. http://store.steampowered.com/app/494790/
  8. http://store.steampowered.com/app/492560/
  9. http://store.steampowered.com/app/493920/
  10. http://store.steampowered.com/app/494970/
  11. http://store.steampowered.com/app/496380/
  12. http://store.steampowered.com/app/481950/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My pre-owned copy of Revelations 2 (PS4) from Best Buy didn't come with the original case. That's a first.

I would say that Best Buy pre-owned is the worst, except it's usually more or less on par with buying something "new" at Gamestop. The few times I've ordered used things at Best Buy, they've never come with original cases and have always been repackaged.

Jawmuncher

The best place for preowned games are Gamefly and Amazon Warehouse. You always get the cases there and majority of the time they're like new. If not they easily replace them.

The Hermit

Nintendo is doomed

I really can't believe they are gonna be chasing some hybrid handheld thing after the success they just had with cell phones and Pokemon GO. Like the entire casual world just told Nintendo that they don't give a shit about its hardware. Yet here they continuing to do this gimmicky stuff. Should have just made a traditional powerful console for hardcore gamers while putting the rest of their focus on Android/iOS.

And supposedly there won't be backwards compatibility with the NX? Yea that is gonna be a rough few years before it has a library that justifies the purchase.

Here is the thing

A powerfull console is too expensive and all signs point that it won't have a long future. Both PS4 and X1 are releasing new upgraded versions because they know it won't be able to keep up with PC.

Also Nintendo strength is their software, BUT within their own controlled hardware and input/controller. Its their identity.

Mobile is too volatile to be considered a sole focus. Its will be a major advertising of their franchises, if they play that card smartly. Nintendo loves their controllers and focus on precision, pretty much the opposite of celphones or tablets. You will never see a proper Mario on the celphone because of that.

rtcn63

I would say that Best Buy pre-owned is the worst, except it's usually more or less on par with buying something "new" at Gamestop. The few times I've ordered used things at Best Buy, they've never come with original cases and have always been repackaged.

I've only ordered a handful at most, but this is the first without a case so it surprised me. Not a huge deal since it's a ~$15 game (less so with GCU), although the original case still would've been nice for archival purposes.

Also picked up Evil Within (actual case thankfully) and R&C, which hasn't arrived yet. Games with 30+GB sizes I tend to prefer to pick up on console since I have a soft data cap and a small SSD. (And a lowly 670)

Ludens

Banned
Here is the thing

A powerfull console is too expensive and all signs point that it won't have a long future. Both PS4 and X1 are releasing new upgraded versions because they know it won't be able to keep up with PC.

Also Nintendo strength is their software, BUT within their own controlled hardware and input/controller. Its their identity.

Mobile is too volatile to be considered a sole focus. Its will be a major advertising of their franchises, if they play that card smartly. Nintendo loves their controllers and focus on precision, pretty much the opposite of celphones or tablets. You will never see a proper Mario on the celphone because of that.
Well, it's not that Nintendo consolle are cheap, I mean, during the old gen the WiiU was the most expensive console you can buy, and even now, at least in Italy, it is 300€, considering you can buy an XBox One or a PS4 with the same amount of money...
Also I don't agree the identity of Nintendo is their controllers, they started to do gimmicks with the Wii, Nes, SNes, N64 and all Gameboy were pretty normal.

yuraya

Well, it's not that Nintendo consolle are cheap, I mean, during the old gen the WiiU was the most expensive console you can buy, and even now, at least in Italy, it is 300€, considering you can buy an XBox One or a PS4 with the same amount of money...
Also I don't agree the identity of Nintendo is their controllers, they started to do gimmicks with the Wii, Nes, SNes, N64 and all Gameboy were pretty normal.

Next year MS/Sony will just lower the price of the vanilla X1 and PS4 to like 200$. And that will pretty much destroy the NX in all ways. Especially if it cost more than 250$.

Nintendo should have just a released a powerful 4-5 tflop system for 400$. That along with the 1st/3rd party support would have been a great machine for the next 5 years. The NX will struggle big time I think. Its gonna go up against existing handhelds, cell phones, consoles and pc. It doesn't have an edge over any of those. Like at all.

Ludens

Banned
Next year MS/Sony will just lower the price of the vanilla X1 and PS4 to like 200$. And that will pretty much destroy the NX in all ways. Especially if it cost more than 250$.

Nintendo should have just a released a powerful 4-5 tflop system for 400$. That along with the 1st/3rd party support would have been a great machine for the next 5 years. The NX will struggle big time I think. Its gonna go up against existing handhelds, cell phones, consoles and pc. It doesn't have an edge over any of those. Like at all.

Also apparently no backward compatibility...I wonder if they'll start to sell NES Classics from the scratch, or offering an "upgrade fee" like they did from Wii to WiiU. Both things will make the userbase angry I think.

rtcn63

It's good that the NX is trying to be its own thing instead of competing directly with PS4/XB1, but the same was true for the Wii/U and I fucking hate motion and touch controls 99% of the time. :(

It's good that the NX is trying to be its own thing instead of competing directly with PS4/XB1, but the same was true for the Wii/U and I fucking hate motion and touch controls 99% of the time. :(

From how it's described unless the controllers also have a screen built into them, there likely won't be any touch. Motion, who knows? It would be kinda hard to do much with handheld controllers.

How have the wii u years been treating them?

I feel like I read somewhere they have enough assets to last them 10 years at least still. But don't quote me on that. Keep in mind they also have their mobile market and Go certainly is adding quite a bit to that warchest.

I'm very interested to see what the NX is and will probably buy one because the ol' Nintendo/PC combo is more true today than ever.

Parsnip

Some help please.

Perhaps this is obvious, but how the hell do I set myself as Administrator on Windows 10?

I have a clean install, I'm the only user, my account is apparently and administrator account - and yet for a whole bunch of activities I will get asked that I need admin privileges "do you want to continue" - I don't need these damn warnings.

To add to this I already have UAC off

Is your UAC actually off, or just silent? Because that's the bottom option in Win8+. To completely disable UAC now you need to do some extra stuff, and if you need any of the modern apps to work, you can't do that. And since Windows updates are now running through modern settings app... Well, yeah.

As for the prompts, Windows protects some folders like Program Files in such a way that you get prompted. For that reason I actually moved some programs to the roaming user folder, it's not protected like that.

BasilZero

Just finished Final Fantasy VIII on Steam.

Oh man - really enjoyed it despite its flaws (in the game itself I mean - not the performance).

Gave it a 88 out of 100.

Haunted

Ghost of a Tale looks really good, despite the name.

I'm hoping the lack of a complete singleplayer campaign doesn't hurt it at launch. I feel like early access has been pretty tough for games of this type.

Nzyme32

Is your UAC actually off, or just silent? Because that's the bottom option in Win8+. To completely disable UAC now you need to do some extra stuff, and if you need any of the modern apps to work, you can't do that. And since Windows updates are now running through modern settings app... Well, yeah.

As for the prompts, Windows protects some folders like Program Files in such a way that you get prompted. For that reason I actually moved some programs to the roaming user folder, it's not protected like that.

Ok that is very helpful. So I guess I have just silenced mine then since that is the only place I thought to change options. If I do the rest of the work to turn that off, then it breaks the modern apps, some of which are actually integral to the computer... yeah, pretty much going to have to live with it. I really don't understand what the Microsoft reasoning behind all this even is. Ridiculous. Anyway, I'll mess with Roaming Files if the Program Files stuff gets too annoying

Thanks.

Also, annoyed with Windows defaulting to making my WiFi network public by defualt when it will usually do it private in Win 7, and now subsequently, the Windows Firewall defaults to letting applications work over Public networks only, rather than private. Seems you have to dig into the "Homegroup" options and enable sharing stuff there to change it to private, and then change the sharing stuff so it works the way you want.

God damn this OS. I like it, outside of all the privacy stuff, Windows integration with service I don't want it to be a part of and the sheer gall of changing things or obfuscating choices in its favour. The epitome of love hate.

voodooray

Anyone else seeing a massive bump in screenshot space on steam cloud servers?

BD0I6Uq.png

EDIT, oops, I'm perpetually late to these things, carry on...

Mivey

I feel like I read somewhere they have enough assets to last them 10 years at least still. But don't quote me on that. Keep in mind they also have their mobile market and Go certainly is adding quite a bit to that warchest.

I'm very interested to see what the NX is and will probably buy one because the ol' Nintendo/PC combo is more true today than ever.
How is that relevant? They are public company, they can't just keep doing what they want. That's Valve.
Nintendo needs to make profit for their investors. If they keep stagnating for years, their investors will riot and at some point just sell everything.

Nzyme32

Anyone else seeing a massive bump in screenshot space on steam cloud servers?

BD0I6Uq.png

EDIT, oops, I'm perpetually late to these things, carry on...

Just keep in mind that is specifically for screenshot space, unlike the thread in gaming suggests. Cloud saving space is independent and on a per game basis

Nvidia screwed MS, then they screwed Sony, now it's Nintendo's turn...
Hope Nintendo really read all the fine print in their contract with Nvidia.

Just finished the XCOM Enemy Unknown campaign. Seeing which achievements I missed made me realize that maybe I had gone to the endgame too prematurely. Maybe I'll go back to it again on a harder difficulty or "second wave" or something. Until then I've got a backlog!

Just started Deus Ex HR (and by "just started" I mean like 15 minutes or so.) Boy that opening is talky. Those on-rails first-person-talker segments...please tell me you don't get that throughout the whole game.

dex3108

Just finished the XCOM Enemy Unknown campaign. Seeing which achievements I missed made me realize that maybe I had gone to the endgame too prematurely. Maybe I'll go back to it again on a harder difficulty or "second wave" or something. Until then I've got a backlog!

Just started Deus Ex HR (and by "just started" I mean like 15 minutes or so.) Boy that opening is talky. Those on-rails first-person-talker segments...please tell me you don't get that throughout the whole game.

That is the only time you will see those :D

I think the walk and talk is only the intro. The other conversations are stationary face to face rpg style. They don't go on too long.

Arthea

KT HB bundle today

which VN of those I haven't read is short? like one or two evenings short, it's too hot to play anything else, but I don't think it'll stay this hot for long.

Knurek

God, I love Retroarch for everything it brings to the table, and I think it has some of the brightest devs in the scene working on it...
But god damn, why do they keep breaking features between versions?
1.0.0.2 was the last version with working SGB support in the BSNES core (no savestates support in the newer ones).
1.3.6 broke autosaving feature (autoload works, but autosave only works when you quit from the menu, not from the Esc button).
So... frustrating.

Humble Kecmo Today?

Arthea

God, I love Retroarch for everything it brings to the table, and I think it has some of the brightest devs in the scene working on it...
But god damn, why do they keep breaking features between versions?
1.0.0.2 was the last version with working SGB support in the BSNES core (no savestates support in the newer ones).
1.3.6 broke autosaving feature (autoload works, but autosave only works when you quit from the menu, not from the Esc button).
So... frustrating.

Humble Kecmo Today?

sure thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom