• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

How accessible is the MTG 2014 game if you've never played any Magic game before? The closest I've come is Pokemon TCG lol.

It depends, I've seen many new people complaining that singleplay campaign is too difficult. It is a newbie friendly game, but that doesn't mean it's easy to win.

Tizoc

Ok guys, Cth was kind enough to pass on the Dark Souls II season pass so I am going to do a giveaway again later. Since a lot of mega-givers don't own Dark Souls II I decided to give away another game with it so that more people will get a chance to win a big game and leave Dark Souls II Season Pass to the hardcore fans . I put together a poll in which you can vote what game you'd like me to give away. I also added a "EPIC GIVEAWAY" option which means that I'll sell Dark Souls II season pass and get a very expensive game to give away instead like Grid Autosport, Divinity Original Sin, Wolfenstein or Shadow of Mordor. The choice is yours

http://strawpoll.me/1840522

P.S: More game recommendations for my poll are welcome
Can't decide between Banished and Rise of Nations...hmm...

DogMeat77

Can anyone give me a good recommendation out of the IFD Multi-Buy category on GMG?

I'm wanting to buy 2 copies of Pixel Junk Monsters for my wife and I but I need one more title to round out the deal.

EDIT: nvm. Multiple copies of the same game can't be purchased at the same time. Oh well.

Couple of things I finished recently:

To The Moon

Pretty meh on this game. Its writing can be hit or miss at times (note to game devs: don't put memes in your game as it's dumb as shit and instantly dates your game in a terrible way, which in this case is extra ironic given that the 2D RPG aesthetics should be able to withstand the test of time). It also seems to try real hard to push one's emotional buttons with its starcrossed love story. But here's where that shit is hard to relate to: (since it's basically a visual novel my main criticisms lie with its story
I find it really hard to believe that two characters would be in love their whole lives like how it's depicted in the game, especially given the condition River is in. It just seems like Johnny is a simp. And the thing with him trying to be his brother seems pretty unnecessary if you sit down and give it some thought.
. In the end, I was left not really caring much for the game but open to the idea that a sequel could be decent enough if the devs take some of the overall criticisms to heart.

Enslaved: Pigsy's Perfect 10

Hey there, steam user! did you play Enslaved? Did you like Enslaved? Then do yourself a favor and play this. It's fantastic.

You play as Pigsy, the affable fat piggly mechanic/tech man from the main game. And he's trying to build a friend because, as you know, it can get lonesome after the apocalypse. So you've got your macguffin now as you try to get all the parts necessary to up your facebook friends by one.

It basically plays as a 3 person shooter/platformer with the notable exception that you are vulnerable as hell. This creates some interesting scenarios, where one must use the light stealth mechanics to position yourself in such a way as to be able to handle the unfavorable odds the game presents you with. You're also given some interesting gadgets to work with to further exploit these almost-puzzleish situations. Trying to combo them effectively really get you into a creative mode and makes most approaches to a battle feel uniquely like your own.

It's about 3 hours long but it feels great in that regard as there's no real fat in this DLC. The ending was also satisfying and surprisingly touching for a campaign based on a piggish man swinging around shooting robots in the face. Also, if you haven't played the main game I highly recommend that you rectify that. It's a great action platformer which the PC doesn't have much of and really worthy of your time/money. Also, after having played the main campaign on the 360 I'm happy that I waited for the PC version to come out so I could play Pigsy at 1080/60. It looks gorgeous.

Note: You'll want to read this before getting into the game as it appears that most of the ingame options either do not work or are pretty limited.

Garcia

Unfortunately that flamethrower exploit is no longer possible with the game's current build, when they patched in the DLC addition and other various (free) tweaks.

On the flipside, speedruns have evolved thanks to the scythe and bosses still get decimated.

Sweet baby ninjas, I had no idea the Axe was so overpowered. Amazing video! And yes, you're right; I tried to do the exploit last night without any success but you know what? Who needs that exploit when the axe+bomb combo is insane.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I need a game (for bd present) less known, preferable, with deep complicated and disturbing story, being a scary horror game would be a bonus, darkish atmosphere is necessary, if gameplay is good even better, but mainly it has to be really interesting to follow the story.

I wanted to ask Dusk Golem, but as he's not here, all suggestions are welcome.

oh, it has to be on steam too, of course.

Looks like my timing is good.

I'm also going to assume we're keeping to the Steam platform. Just going to list them as they come to my head, not all will necessarily be obscure. Also thinking story above all else.

If you want me to further elaborate on any game, just ask.

Cryostasis: No longer on Steam, but dang it, it fits the requirements. It has a fairly deep and interesting story, some good scares, and delves a lot into psychological horror, mythology and folklore, and has quite the ending.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut: Probably already has it/crossed your mind, but while the game has some flaws, one of them certainly is not it's story and incredibly interesting characters. Very Twin Peaks-like, and the story gets a bit silly, but it's very easy to get immersed and legitimately care about the characters.

Kentucky Route Zero: Episodes are still releasing (3/5 episodes currently available), but a surrealistic and artistic game with a story that right now isn't 100% clear, but immensely interesting. The game doesn't have that much dialogue, but the story continues through the environment, interesting moments, and prints an interesting picture of nowhere. America, and its various ghost stories.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth: Obviously very HP Lovecraft, it sort of is a retelling of Shadow Over Innsmouth, but has its own interesting twists on the tale and a combination with some of Lovecraft's other work. There's a lot of optional documents and such to delve into, matched with great atmosphere. The story, like Lovecraft's works, are kind of slow-burn. They start off pretty slowly, but escalate further and further into madness as it goes on.

Alan Wake: This one isn't really niche, and the story ends up love-it/hate-it territory, but an interesting spin that might strike well if you're a big fan of Stephen King or The House of Leaves, or those television shows that take place in small towns with secrets.

Scratches: Director's Cut: Point'n'Click, but has some fantastic atmosphere, good scares, and an interesting story that develops about a man moving into a house for his writing deep in the forest, and gets trapped there by washed-out roads by the rain... But not alone.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream: An oldie, and not for everyone. It's not psychological in a typical sense, but an interesting adaption of a novel about humanity's sins becoming literal when a super computer surpasses us and becomes a god to man, a race he despises. Told through different eras of time, and goes into very disturbing content.

Year Walk: The story here more has to do with an interesting mythology the game has. The mythology (which you can read-up about in-game), matched with interesting but simple puzzles and moments deal with a character who goes year walking, the act to wander into the woods starved on New Years to catch a glimpse of the future.

Lone Survivor: You play as a nameless character who is stationed in an apartment in a ruined city. Each day is a struggle, with limited supplies and draining willpower. Our character decides that he doesn't want to die alone, and sets off to find someone else to give meaning to his minimal existence. As he ventures out, he does meet other characters, but they all seem rather odd. Are they real, or a figment of his imagination? Is everything as it seems, or just an illusion?

The Path: Minimal dialogue, and the gameplay isn't for everyone, but it weaves an interesting tale without words, and puts a twists on the story of Little Red Riding Hood, which delves into the different versions of the story all across the world.

Spec-Op: The Line: Not a horror game, but there are some moments that are very horror game-esque, especially later in. And it does have an interesting story to go with it.

There's more, but if yar. Honestly speaking, a lot of the best horror game story games aren't on Steam, for better or worse. There's some stories in games on other places that blow the ones I mentioned out of the water, but these also are very good, though many different types of stories among them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How would one go about doing this is one was so inclined? I've never traded, in TF keys or what not.

The simplest way is to find someone who's offering the game and then buy what you need from the market. Using Enhanced Steam you can add a specific amount to your Steam Wallet provided it's above the minimum of $5, but do be aware that if you add funds using a payment method you haven't used on the Steam Store itself you'll be blocked from selling on the market for a week.

JakeD

the first 2 achievements for little racers street are so easy i thought playfire might think i was using SAM. the 3rd one seems impossible - win a race with a heavily damaged car. the only way to get a heavily damaged car is to repeatedly slam it into every corner the entire race. and even then sometimes you only end up with "medium" damage

How would one go about doing this is one was so inclined? I've never traded, in TF keys or what not.

You have sites like steamtrades / tf2outpost that most of the traders use but if you want ease of use you can use dispenser.tf which is an automated trading service

saunderez

Thanks for the info fellas. Will look into that ASAP.

EDIT: On TF Outpost when it says they want x keys, and they have multiple keys that they want, does it matter what combination? Or they just want x of whatever all up?

Thanks for the info fellas. Will look into that ASAP.

EDIT: On TF Outpost when it says they want x keys, and they have multiple keys that they want, does it matter what combination? Or they just want x of whatever all up?

most will accept csgo / tf2 keys in any combination but dota keys arent really accepted by many atm due to there low market value

Arthea

Looks like my timing is good.

I'm also going to assume we're keeping to the Steam platform. Just going to list them as they come to my head, not all will necessarily be obscure. Also thinking story above all else.

If you want me to further elaborate on any game, just ask.

list...

nice timing! Deadly Premonition, Spec-Ops, Lone Survivor, Alan Wake are out of the question unfortunately, as already played.

I'm not sure about Cryostasis, Call of Cthulhu and Scratches (especially last two, I think we even talked about those, in depth, not 100% sure, though). Is Cryostasis sold somewhere digitally, BTW?

Year Walk and The Path won't work, I'm almost sure that minimalistic story is quite opposite of what I should be looking for.

Can you tell me more about I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream? I somehow never got around playing it. How is gameplay in that one?

Thanks for reminding me about Kentucky Route Zero too! It's unfinished, but still good option to consider.

I'm missing something...

iESXts2.png

Why am I ineligible for some rewards?

because you already unlocked them?

Not before the rewards went up.

It could be the site getting things mixed up, check your playfire page to see if you have them. If not then something something beta.

Yeah, must be. I only have the reward for Powerhoof Smash (from the new v1.1 achieves), but nothing else. Oddly, that site says I'm ineligible for that reward too. I'll wait and see.

Knurek

Enslaved: Pigsy's Perfect 10
It basically plays as a 3 person shooter/platformer with the notable exception that you are vulnerable as hell. This creates some interesting scenarios, where one must use the light stealth mechanics to position yourself in such a way as to be able to handle the unfavorable odds the game presents you with. You're also given some interesting gadgets to work with to further exploit these almost-puzzleish situations. Trying to combo them effectively really get you into a creative mode and makes most approaches to a battle feel uniquely like your own.

When I played it earlier this year, I couldn't help but think it was a long lost Oddworld game.

Not before the rewards went up.

I imagine if you earned then recently, the Steamless site says "hey, you earned this cheevo, so you can't get this credit", while the Playfire site lags a bit behind. They've gotten better, but it's not immediate. It should show up tonight, I wouldn't worry about it.

although some of Goat Sim cheevos didn't register on Playfire yet

I imagine if you earned then recently, the Steamless site says "hey, you earned this cheevo, so you can't get this credit", while the Playfire site lags a bit behind. They've gotten better, but it's not immediate. It should show up tonight, I wouldn't worry about it.

although some of Goat Sim cheevos didn't register on Playfire yet

Whoops, you're right. I was misreading the Obtained column as "obtained achieves" not "obtained rewards".

Less retarded question: should I be bothering with the playfire client?

StAidan

I've been enjoying this game, so here's an extra copy for one lucky gaffer. Act fast, I'm a big fan of lightning raffles!

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

1001 Spikes -- MB-537ED6290EBCBB5F - Taken by alr1ght. 22 entrants total.

t1402064772z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom