• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It worked fine for me in Safari and fine for duckroll in Chrome so I'm guessing there's something going on with their load balancing right now and i got a nonfunctional server

Authority

Banned
Edit: Oh shit #Based Games.

You ain't steaming if you ain't pimping.

BungieJumping.
cYkMK.png

tumblr_n6lpz9o60s1rxpfcvo1_500.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So what're your theories on why Japanese devs don't look at the western PC market for their games?

My theory is that it's because you use the terms "moeslut" and "loliwhore." You scare Japanese devs away :p

PC gaming is still niche in Japan in comparison to handhelds, consoles, and mobile devices for a variety of reasons, so a lot of devs tend to not be 100% on board the platform. Japanese devs traditionally tend to focus on appealing to Japanese audiences, so it's kind of a circle.

Niche is a niche--> game doesn't sell to expectations--> tells devs that there's not a large enough audience on the platform--> mobile games and handheld games--> niche remains niche.

There is a growing amount of attention being paid to the PC platform, though, so hopefully the trend continues to swell.

Garcia

I'd say that the soundtrack is one of the more consistently good soundtracks that I've heard in the past few years. Sure, there are great songs on other soundtracks, but every single one of VVVVVV's is ridiculously catchy.

Yeah, totally. I consider it as one of the best videogmame soundtracks of recent years.

Dr Dogg

Anyone having trouble voting on Greenlight items? I'm in Chrome and every vote, yes, or no, fails:

In the debug console:
XMLHttpRequest cannot load https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/voteup. No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. Origin 'http://steamcommunity.com' is therefore not allowed access."

Tried disabling adblock and Enhanced Steam, didn't fix anything.

Just tried voting for a few things and was fine for me in Chrome. Though I did get a Steam Guard prompt when logging in but I can't remember when the last time I cleared things out.

Edit: Just saw your further post. Guess it's a server issue at Valves end then.

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm going to reformat my computer sometime soon, should I put any faith in UPlay's cloud saving services to have my saves still be there afterwards?

Authority

Banned
Interesting.

Wonder when they will bring it to the West.

How Kingdom Under Fire 2 survived a shifting game market for 7 years

Kingdom Under Fire 2 is a survivor. Many games die on the vine as production passes the three-year mark, but Blue Side's MMO sequel to the oddball action-strategy hybrid is now well into its seventh year of development. Enduring false starts, major changes to the fundamental design of the game, the rise and fall of consoles, and the wild transformation of the MMO market worldwide, Kingdom Under Fire 2 remains and its coming to PlayStation 4 and PC in the near future. Barring any sudden changes of course.

Sang Youn Lee, the producer and Blue Side CEO who's stuck with the game over the years, doesn't need any more sudden changes. The game is, finally, right where he wants it. Guiding a demo of the game E3, Lee demonstrated how Kingdom Under Fire 2 plays in 2014, so long after it was first conceived. In large missions, it looks very much like Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders, Blue Side's original Xbox game. You control a big, flashy hero wielding a sword and command legions of troops on a field, a more intentional and less wantonly chaotic spin on Dynasty Warriors' massive conflicts.

It's been modernized of course. The troop customization and commands relegated to text-heavy menus back in 2004 is now done on the fly through simple button or keyboard commands. Surrounding that formula are the trappings of an MMO. Cities like Accolade where you can pick up quests, an open field for wandering and getting in small skirmishes, and big mission areas. It's all very pretty,generically high fantasy but also lovingly detailed. Nothing about it looks like a game that's been struggling to release for nearly a decade. What happened?

A number of things brought Kingdom Under Fire 2 low. The studio began work back in 2007 with an estimated budget of $15 million. Planned as a solo Xbox 360 game that would then be expanded as an online-focussed PC game, Lee explained that the studio's Asian investors demanded that the game come to PC first to capitalize on the then exploding Korean MMO market. Rift, Tera, and others were raking in cash and so the shift was made, reimagining Kingdom Under Fire 2 to accommodate those trends. Character customization and wild, fashionable costumes were in, but Lee insisted the game lose none of its focus or story so a $15 million project ballooned into a $50 million project.

After the shift to PC in 2009, Blue Side began to reassess its plans to bring Kingdom Under Fire 2 to consoles and set out to make a PlayStation 3 version. In 2011, though, Blue Side was approached by Sony about the PlayStation 4. When I asked if this was a frustrating moment, Lee set up straight, his eyes wide: "Yes!" Something of an understatement.

Now, finally, Kingdom Under Fire 2's journey is almost over. The game will be out on PC and PS4 this year.

Credits to Joy

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
shady devs being shady

Dungeon of Elements dev not promissing keys for indieroyale bundles.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fly'n -- MB-BBBF88E4AF324480 - Taken by SinineSiil
QuestRun -- MB-BDA46292DAACA546 - Taken by pupo
ulgzbKC.png
Project Night (Desura) -- MB-9D608D839E959982
Radical Roach -- MB-68E0381921CB5C2A - Taken by Purkake4
Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves -- MB-48DC2E02E54A68BE - Taken by Snakethesniper

Salsa

all the interface in the Destiny alpha is with a left stick cursor instead of the usual moving through menues with d-pad directly

just say it's coming to PC in a while alreadyyy

Eternia

all the interface in the Destiny alpha is with a left stick cursor instead of the usual moving through menues with d-pad directly

Does the touchpad work too at least? Would be somewhat understandable for making such a lazy interface. Sort of...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Looks like Valve blocked custom price searching on the Steam store. Not really sure why.

It sucks because that means I'll have to remove the "Games you can afford" button on the homepage and the advanced search price slider from Enhanced Steam.

Maybe it's just a temporary issue. :(

For example, this works, but this doesn't.

denx

Yeah, saw that on the gameplay videos I've seen from E3. Pretty weird they would emulate a mouse cursor for menu navigation on a console game unless they have a PC build kicking around somewhere.
Believe!

Anyway, anyone's interest on Destiny has been reinvigorated by the E3 footage? The marketing for this game has been awful and han't done the game any favors. I was pretty meh about Destiny until I saw the gameplay videos from E3 and now I'm looking forward to that game again.

On a completely unrelated note, fuck the referee from the Brazil-Croatia match.

nexen

Looks like Valve blocked custom price searching on the Steam store. Not really sure why.

It sucks because that means I'll have to remove the "Games you can afford" button on the homepage and the advanced search price slider from Enhanced Steam.

Maybe it's just a temporary issue. :(

For example, this works, but this doesn't.
Haven't they done this during previous steam sales? I remember features disappearing from search during sales. To conserve server cpu I'm guessing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Haven't they done this during previous steam sales? I remember features disappearing from search during sales. To conserve server cpu I'm guessing.

It could be that, but during the last sale (the Winter Sale) this particular search feature was intact.

I'll have to hit up some of my Valve contacts to see if I can get clarification. It would be a shame if they're doing away with this, because I personally find it really handy.
Maybe they're just working on implementing it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom