• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up playing Ellen's route in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream because it just got cards. I don't know, I don't think the point and click genre is for me. I didn't get far with the puzzles before I decided to consult a walkthrough. It was really hard for me to distinguish things like the wires (in the five monitors' room) and speaker from the background noise. I dislike the method of storytelling as well. Most of the time, I was annoyed with Ellen's narration whenever I tried to do something. All things considered, I thought the elevator info-dump was pretty well done, especially since the monotone presentation of how shitty her life has been made me forget my irritation with her in favor of sympathy. Of course, that got thrown out the window with
the confrontation with her psyche's version of her rapist I guess
, which just seemed so fucking clumsy to me. The writing there just seemed so on the head, when it should've been more subtle. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the writing on the whole was pretty shitty. I didn't even realize she had an actual phobia (she just complained about the color yellow, and coupled with the interior decorating comment I thought she was just being picky) ((but I admit that since using a walkthrough, I might have missed some dialogue from puzzle failures that address this)). I guess I'm currently a bit lost on the overarching narrative with AM, but I figure I have the more important blocks filled in, and the details will show themselves over the course of the other routes.

I also played X Rebirth last week, but didn't make it past the dogfighting section in the beginning. It really needed a way to lock onto enemies so that I could keep track of where they were going. Otherwise, most of the time I was just going through interstellar highways, which was pretty boring. I liked when you got to go into stations, but that was mostly because opening chests appeal to the reward pathways in my brain. The story seemed lackluster too. Between this and the Star Citizen demo, I don't think the genre is for me either.

zkylon

zkylewd
I ended up playing Ellen's route in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream because it just got cards. I don't know, I don't think the point and click genre is for me. I didn't get far with the puzzles before I decided to consult a walkthrough. It was really hard for me to distinguish things like the wires (in the five monitors' room) and speaker from the background noise. I dislike the method of storytelling as well. Most of the time, I was annoyed with Ellen's narration whenever I tried to do something. All things considered, I thought the elevator info-dump was pretty well done, especially since the monotone presentation of how shitty her life has been made me forget my irritation with her in favor of sympathy. Of course, that got thrown out the window with
the confrontation with her psyche's version of her rapist I guess
, which just seemed so fucking clumsy to me. The writing there just seemed so on the head, when it should've been more subtle. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, the writing on the whole was pretty shitty. I didn't even realize she had an actual phobia (she just complained about the color yellow, and coupled with the interior decorating comment I thought she was just being picky) ((but I admit that since using a walkthrough, I might have missed some dialogue from puzzle failures that address this)). I guess I'm currently a bit lost on the overarching narrative with AM, but I figure I have the more important blocks filled in, and the details will show themselves over the course of the other routes.

dunno if that's the right adventure game representation

u should try monkey island 2 if u haven't

best adventure game ever imo

(specially the remake, you can play with old graphics if u don't like the new one and it still has the awesome vo)

Turfster

I ended up playing Ellen's route in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream because it just got cards. I don't know, I don't think the point and click genre is for me.

Yeah uh, that's... not what I would choose as the example of a stereotypical p&c game.
It's a depressing book turned into a so-so adventure game.

Play Monkey Island 1 & 2 and then tell me they're not for you =p

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
dunno if that's the right adventure game representation

u should try monkey island 2 if u haven't

best adventure game ever imo
Yeah uh, that's... not what I would choose as the example of a stereotypical p&c game.
It's a depressing book turned into a so-so adventure game.

Play Monkey Island 1 & 2 and then tell me they're not for you =p
I've also played chapter 1 of The Journey Down, and didn't really care for it for the same reasons. But I've heard nothing but good things about Monkey Island, so I guess I'll check them out eventually.

zkylon

zkylewd
I've also played chapter 1 of The Journey Down, and didn't really care for it for the same reasons. But I've heard nothing but good things about Monkey Island, so I guess I'll check them out eventually.
i dunno, maybe you legit don't like it, but it's like you giving up on platformers without playing a mario game or whatever

if you want to give the genre a chance then play the games that best represent it. i'd suggest monkey 2 because i think that game's amazing and also has a recent remake that makes modernizes it and gives it cool graphics and vo

Jawmuncher

I didn't enjoy the monkey games more than I did I have no mouth and I must scream. But ort of that was thanks to the darker tone of the other.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I was meaning in terms of "games". ;p

I realized that. My point is that they have decreasing interest in traditional video games as time goes on. They are only focusing on a few legacy IPs that continue to make money. But for MGS to compete with western games as Kojima wanted, Konami has had to dramatically increase resources spent on a segment that is not as profitable, especially in Japan.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
i dunno, maybe you legit don't like it, but it's like you giving up on platformers without playing a mario game or whatever

if you want to give the genre a chance then play the games that best represent it. i'd suggest monkey 2 because i think that game's amazing and also has a recent remake that makes modernizes it and gives it cool graphics and vo
Yeah, that's a pretty good argument. I'll hold off writing the whole genre off until I play those. I think the only other unplayed pnc game I have in my library is Gemini Rue anyway, so it's not like it'd make much of a difference in the meantime.

zkylon

zkylewd
haha that's great

Yeah, that's a pretty good argument. I'll hold off writing the whole genre off until I play those. I think the only other unplayed pnc game I have in my library is Gemini Rue anyway, so it's not like it'd make much of a difference in the meantime.
gemini rue is pretty good, also recommended, tho ofc not as amazing as the lucasarts classic

what a crazy day for the gaming industry
did anything else happen?

i mean kojima getting vincent-and-zanpella'd is pretty big but still

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

faceless_rex_arcana.png

awwww

Miguel81

You should give King's Quest VI a try, along with the already mentioned Monkey Island games. It's considered one of the best pnc adventure games.

Momentary

Banned
A Visual Novel -maker type of thing called TyranoBuilder.

Yep. The only major thing they have down the pipe-line is Yatagarasu. Really hope H2 Interactive and ASW start bring the shit I want them to bring over. UNIEL, BBCPE, GGXrdE. Atlus can get with H2 for dat Persona Ultimax.

derExperte

Anyone else not getting mails from Humble Bundle? The bundle is in my account but I a) only got a confirmation from PayPal and b) they won't send my the code to validate my browser.

ArynCrinn

Banned
I realized that. My point is that they have decreasing interest in traditional video games as time goes on. They are only focusing on a few legacy IPs that continue to make money. But for MGS to compete with western games as Kojima wanted, Konami has had to dramatically increase resources spent on a segment that is not as profitable, especially in Japan.

Yeah but this industry, nor any social institution of any kind with extreme few exception ever rewards intelligence...it rewards fame. And Kojima for all his flaw is famous, so from a straight "profitabilty and viability" standpoint I'd argue keeping him happy and in the spotlight as "Konami" would be the best idea. But what do I know?

Lest we not forget this is the same attitude that Capcom took (as well as many other lesser examples) in regard to their "famous" or "truly skilled developers". Look how that wrked out for Capcom with the RE franchise after losing Mikami (not even relevant anymore as RE), same with Clover's shutdown and subsequent forming of Platinum (guess who makes the consistently better games and new IP to boot?), and last but not least running off Inafune which now makes Mega Man irrelevant, unless they literally solely license or sell that IP to Nintendo. Point being, NEVER put "profits" ahead of the power of a "famous name" to sell those games and also keep their legacies relevant. But Capcom ignorantly thought these brands would just sell themselves, and to a extent that's somewhat true, but not to the level of quality and consistency present before.

Konami is in a worse position than even Capcom after Clover/Mikami's loss, because even though Capcom lost everything else, they still have that Street Fighter ace and fighting game dev talent...and Monster Hunter.

Jawmuncher

Konami in actuality could care less. They make more money from their other endeavors and mobile than anything their console games bring. As is evident from their very low amount of output. Hearing that Konami would drop out of the console/pc market wouldnt even be a surprise at this point.

Salsa

QDWAG9S.png

excited as fuuuuuuuuuck download faster

fucking 42 gigs. Tomorrow it is I guess

pretty crazy how after coming back after being away for games for a while I managed to snag everything I wanted that I missed last year in like 2 weeks for cheap (the evil within, alien, and now this)

now I just need wolfenstein

playing games late is cool! who'd have thunk it

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Ozium, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ozium, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-64310A1EEA5BA723 - Taken by Sarcasm. 8 entrants total.
Long Live the Queen -- MB-133C63B8447882E1 - Taken by salazar547. 4 entrants total.
Cherry Tree High Complete Pack -- MB-03244D4C9119C21A - Taken by Dusk Golem. 10 entrants total.

t1426809275z1.png

Teggy

I am having ridiculously bad luck lately. I am 11+ hours into Deus Ex IW, very close to the end, and my quicksave is crashing. I have no other save. :(

Soooooo...

Is Borderlands 1 GOTY worth getting? I bought Borderlands 2 GOTY last winter sale (from GMG where it was slightly cheaper), but I only got an hour or so in. Is the story really important at all? I was kind of confused.

Also I'm tempted on that Beyond Earth and Starships bundle. $27.00 for both. I know BE gets a lot of flak, and Starships seems to have mixed reviews at best, but...it's like getting Starships for $2, based on the otherwise 50% off sale price of Beyond Earth. I did kinda want to wait for a complete edition of Beyond Earth, but this deal seems decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom