• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I keep hearing that the game is already dying.
That's probably what happens when you don't give your game dedicated servers, or the ability to have private games, or the ability to pick maps, or even to join a game that isn't already in progress, or clan support, or anything but random matchups to people you don't know... but the concept in general is still appealing!

jediyoshi

That's probably what happens when you don't give your game dedicated servers, or the ability to have private games, or the ability to pick maps, or even to join a game that isn't already in progress, or clan support, or anything but random matchups to people you don't know... but the concept in general is still appealing!

There are private games.

Being on Origin and not being a Battlefield game is probably the kicker.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'll half-agree, half disagree, on account I technically think Killing Floor is better than the old Doom games, but I also understand that it's different and people feel differently, on-top of the fact Killing Floor hasn't had the impact that Doom has had (and there's fan-made versions of most of Doom 1's and 2's maps in Killing Floor).

I'm speaking to the multiplayer component being conducive to tournament play. Quake 3 was that distilled to perfection and although I don't really agree with the decision to make Quake Live quite literally a rebadge of Q3, I also can't exactly blame id for taking the safe route... but of course this approach is why QL did little more than play host to Q3 refugees.

Killing Floor and its ilk have never been my cup of tea, but I realise it does the "horde mode" thing well.

Tizoc

Ack! YouTube has just conspired against me.

I was watching AVGN's take on SimCity (SNES). The opening 5 seconds of the SNES title-screen music brought back a wave of nostalgia that sent me immediately to IsThereAnyDeal.com to see current price status of the SimCity (2013), a title I knew to steer clear off, but was always curious about either way.

Turns out EA/Origin is having a weekend sale with loads of titles 40% off. SimCity came out to $17.99, a price that seemed fair enough to satisfy that curiosity.

Now I've gone and done it, haven't I?

GOG.com has Sim City 2000, should've asked us and gotten that one.

I left my sign outside of the Smough & Ornstein battle, and it worked a couple of times. It was a great way to practice so I could take them down on my own. Other than that spot, it was a pain in the butt waiting and waiting for it to work.

Even Dark Souls 2 is getting like that for my timezone. There are still plenty of people in the popular areas, but outside of that it can be tough to get a summon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What makes you think it will be an arena shooter? You know how it is now in days.

Well, Doom was the DM game of choice prior to Quake, so I'm hoping that, as far as the game's MP is concerned, Bethesda has embraced id's history of cobbling together MP awesomeness. Your cynicism is hardly without merit, though.

Well, Doom was the DM game of choice prior to Quake, so I'm hoping that, as far as the game's MP is concerned, Bethesda has embraced id's history of cobbling together MP awesomeness. Your cynicism is hardly without merit, though.

Not much point when half life source DM still exists. You can shoot toilets at people, where can you go after that?

I pulled it off in single player against some toast.

Well there's that. Time to go through the list of moves again.

I was thinking it should be possible solo, but I remember being surprised when it popped when I finally figured out how to uppercut (sorta like in smash), so I know mine is for multi.

Unfortunately, The Behemoth didn't use the nice method of showing achievement progress, so I have no idea what the actual requirements for the one that's "play and rate 10 community levels" actually is.

I loaded up 10 community levels, some I played 1-4 stages in, some I quit because they were terrible, and then when I left it would put me in the overlay with the level's community page and I would rate it. I did not get the achievement to pop after 10 levels. So I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong there unless it's not finishing all acts in the playlist before leaving and rating.

zkylon

zkylewd
so, finished dark souls 2. more like beaten, since there's still ng+ and there's still a couple more things i want to do in ng but well, time for thoughts

it's weird, i most definitely like it less than dark 1 and demons, no two ways about it. i still enjoyed it but i dunno exactly how but it's just off the mark for me, the whole game felt so uncharacteristically easy it made for a very "still" pacing. no wondrous highs at how the devs managed to give you some respite from your misery by bending the level design in a way that looped just so you could get that precious shortcut but also none of those very much assholy lows like sen's fortress where you were filled with dread from everything from every corner trying to kill you.

there's no despair in dark souls 2, and that just made the whole journey feel a bit meaningless, like i wasn't dragged enough through the mud to make standing be worth anything and dark souls 1 wasn't perfect but that part it had it right, certain chaotic bed excluded.

i did enjoy much of the streamlining and i think it's mostly for the best, upgrading weapons is a lot less obtuse, covenants are more inviting, etc. it's not really a big design thing but just a moment by moment thing in that they let us off too easy, the bosses had too low hp, the dungeons didn't last enough for you to wonder if drinking that last flask at 60% hp is a good idea.

there's also the grand world design thing in which there's no interconnection whatsoever. this is demon's souls again in disguise. i'm not a big fan of that, it worked in demon's when it didn't try to hide it, but in this game the world just feels weird, like it doesn't make any sense. it might, but it doesn't feel like it at all. just, the explore the dungeon kill a boss and then be greeted by an abandoned bonfire+random npc just bored the hell out of me, made bosses and dungeon feel super pointless, just always lacking the payoff for your hardships.

in the end it's still a pretty good game, certainly better than most, but kind of disappointing. demon's was a tough act to follow and it's still insane dks1 turned out so good, so you can't fault dks2 too much for not being quite up there i guess.

anyways, all hail the next queen of drangleic, i think she'll be more tommen than joffrey but you never know, she's seen shit

164DB95ED736D9AA9ED3A0BBE50F6F55C026D82E

anyways not up to dusk's review standards but that's what i think

also new saoirse avatar 5/5

edit: oh and i forgot to say. fuck you from for putting me through that shitty ass spider dungeon. that shit was fucking torture

I left my sign outside of the Smough & Ornstein battle, and it worked a couple of times. It was a great way to practice so I could take them down on my own. Other than that spot, it was a pain in the butt waiting and waiting for it to work.
s&o were always pretty good summoning spots

most of the rest of the game has been long abandoned

that's what happens to online if you strap gfwl to it

Tizoc

Well the time to spend my earned GMG credit draws near, gonna grab Wolfenstein tomorrow and hopefully by then it'll be up for pre-load, but bah god 50 freakin' GB is gonna be a bore to download especially when the game doesn't even look that next gen.

There better be a patch that'll trim the size down cuz if that can be done to games on the PS Vita ti should be do-able on PC.

zkylon

zkylewd
well it's an unflattering shot since it's a dark area and all zoomed in but believe me the game's positively beautiful. some areas are super drab but the difference with dks1 is crazy.

i'm not running durantemod or anything cos it made my game hitch a bit but actually with some of the less extreme mods the game looks incredible. texturework is actually pretty great imo but you know you grab any third person game and zoom it up and it's gonna look like shit. and like souls art design is so fucking good, dark souls and witcha are so far ahead it's embarrassing

speaking of which i was saving the artbook (digital :/) for after beating the game, so now's a good time as any to drool at it

Deques

That's weird, I got a reward for playing BattleBlock Theatre for the first time. I haven't played the game since the beta time

Does the Melee Master achievement not work in Battleblock Theater? It won't unlock for me.
I had problems with it as well, since most lists out there seem to be incomplete. Do all of the moves in the help/options list (don't forget Judo throw and make sure all of them hit something) and then do one more, which is "clunking" an enemy. You do it by selecting the mine/disc item, jumping, and using it shortly before hitting the ground. That way you use the item without actually throwing it but just hit an enemy with it. That was the one I was missing.
I was thinking it should be possible solo, but I remember being surprised when it popped when I finally figured out how to uppercut (sorta like in smash), so I know mine is for multi.

Unfortunately, The Behemoth didn't use the nice method of showing achievement progress, so I have no idea what the actual requirements for the one that's "play and rate 10 community levels" actually is.

I loaded up 10 community levels, some I played 1-4 stages in, some I quit because they were terrible, and then when I left it would put me in the overlay with the level's community page and I would rate it. I did not get the achievement to pop after 10 levels. So I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong there unless it's not finishing all acts in the playlist before leaving and rating.

The wording is wrong, you don't have to rate anything. I got it after playing through 10 community levels in a row. I just played the Furbottom playlist and played through levels 1 to 9 and then did the time trial.

_hekk05

Banned
Dear SteamGaf

I am
only slightly
ashamed to admit that I mooch off you guys for games. I'm a cheapskate, and I live off SteamGaf's generosity like the bottom feeder I am.

While I might not have much money, I do have playfire credit (god bless playfire)
Good lord rushbros was terrible but worth it for 5 pounds

So here's a little something something.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (_hekk05, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

100% Orange Juice -- MB-2813AE41790F2765 - Taken by Benedict. 24 entrants total.

t1400405841z1.png

Tizoc

Dear SteamGaf

I am
only slightly
ashamed to admit that I mooch off you guys for games. I'm a cheapskate, and I live off SteamGaf's generosity like the bottom feeder I am.

While I might not have much money, I do have playfire credit (god bless playfire)
Good lord rushbros was terrible but worth it for 5 pounds

So here's a little something something.

Man I'd really like to get this but I hate all them moeslut designs...

alstein

Man I'd really like to get this but I hate all them moeslut designs...

It's not slutty at all. I don't think I've seen anything distasteful in any Orange Juice games.

As for the gameplay, it's fun, but very luck based. I'd love to see the Orange Juice folks come out with a sequel that was a bit deeper.

Tizoc

It's not slutty at all. I don't think I've seen anything distasteful in any Orange Juice games.

As for the gameplay, it's fun, but very luck based. I'd love to see the Orange Juice folks come out with a sequel that was a bit deeper.

Heh I just use the term 'moeslut' and 'loliwhore' because I dislike those designs and how they show up in like 95% of Japanese games now ^^;
The luck based gameplay thing is making me a bit hesitant can you elaborate on that?

That's weird, I got a reward for playing BattleBlock Theatre for the first time. I haven't played the game since the beta time

GMG are stand up guys and have done this before where they backdate the scrape dates so that people who played it during beta get the rewards too... I can't remember the game it was for (I wasn't in the beta for that), but I do remember someone talking about backing for beta testers. I was happy to see they gave me that and the two achievements I'd already earned. :)

Kinda makes up for the fact that I'll probably have to add the Strike Suit Zero:DC achievements I earned within 6 hours of their deadline to a support ticket.

I had problems with it as well, since most lists out there seem to be incomplete. Do all of the moves in the help/options list (don't forget Judo throw and make sure all of them hit something) and then do one more, which is "clunking" an enemy. You do it by selecting the mine/disc item, jumping, and using it shortly before hitting the ground. That way you use the item without actually throwing it but just hit an enemy with it. That was the one I was missing.

The wording is wrong, you don't have to rate anything. I got it after playing through 10 community levels in a row. I just played the Furbottom playlist and played through levels 1 to 9 and then did the time trial.

So basically just finish ten community levels, not 10 community playlists? That's definitely more doable.

Miguel81

so none of those very much assholy lows like sen's fortress where you were filled with dread from everything from every corner trying to kill you.

certain chaotic bed excluded.

I loved Sen's Fortress as it reminded me of the early Tomb Raider games(traps galore). About the Bed of Chaos, it gets a lot of hate but I enjoyed the fact that it was basically just a puzzle. If From ever removes the gfwl garbage and replaces it with Steamworks, I'll immediately replay it again.

I loved Sen's Fortress as it reminded me of the early Tomb Raider games(traps galore). About the Bed of Chaos, it gets a lot of hate but I enjoyed the fact that it was basically just a puzzle. If From ever removes the gfwl garbage and replaces it with Steamworks, I'll immediately replay it again.

I think the main issue is the "puzzle" is the final jump isn't quite where it appears to be. Also the level leading up to it was complete garbage.

But yeah, the concept was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom