• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I want to give away a waifu game, but I am too lazy for modbot, but I also can't do some post-your-waifu stuff. What to do.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Happy Birthday JaseC, madjoki, corrosivefrost!
Sorry if I missed any.

---------------------------------------------------------
Nep RB2 supposed to be released tomorrow right?
Still no news of WoS4... and it was supposed to be released on January.
Damn a lot of birthdays today! Happy birthday ya'll

the_cake_is_a_lie_portal_re_a_sad_day_for_tennis-s499x465-76118.jpg
Happy Birthday you!
Also hbd to JaseC
Happy Gigantic Spider Day, JaseC!
Happy Birthday JaseC~~

Cheers. :)

happy birthday!

It took me so long to scroll past your post that it's now a year later, but I'll accept it, anyway. :p

is Serious Sam 3 on sale anywhere?

ITAD says "Nope."

Hey everyone! I just finished Game of Thrones (the role playing game) and I decided to post a little review on Steam but will also leave it here.

bzwhJEa.png

First of all, and as always, I'm sorry for the lack of a better English vocabulary as it's not my native language.

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198043835726/recommended/208730/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without viewing any sort significant gameplay or information before starting the Game of Thrones it became quite an unexpected surprise. If you have a soft spot for these sort of games then I believe this one deserve a humble chance. You will play as two very different characters in different time frames until you reach a point where they will meet in the story. The game offers you a lot of content to read and if you are a fan of the Books or the TV show this will be something you will simply should keep on your radar. There is a vast amount of Lore regarding the cities and the people who live in them, the religion or their beliefs as well, the characters and the different house banners and so on.

There is a lot of talk so I found this game to be very relaxing to play in a nice session after a long, tiresome day. You answer the questions by choosing one of the possible outcomes and they are written in first person. From the main quests to the secondary ones you will be faced with some choices to be made. Some will decide the faith of people, others will let you seek revenge or prove that you are merciful and fair. Expect to be a lot of political games where even when trust is earned you should always suspect everyone, after all, everyone wants their share of wealth. I did some of the secondary quests but not all them. They are mostly focused in side stories and are not boring at all as opposed to those fetch quests where you need to gather ingredients or something similar. Usually, it’s about someone needing help, recruiting members to the Wall, see why someone did something or seek more information that can be useful for you in the future.

The main story is divided in Chapters which offers a great time frame if you just want to play bit here and there. You can start a chapter and be done with it, get some rest and on the next day advance a bit more. I admit that as I was advancing in the game I got surprised more than once for the outcomes I was facing. This is Game of Thrones so you should always expecting deaths from those you love or care while playing the game. Trust no one and remember to not follow only your heart as you might be betrayed for being too gentle.

The combat is slower than any other similar RPG but it can be tactic as well during combat you can open your Abilities wheel and select what moves or skills you want to do. The game won’t fully stop but you will enter in a very slow motion giving you time to make the best strategy for your enemies. Different weapons are good or bad depending on what sort of armor your enemy is wearing. A heavy armor is resistant to swords since it can’t be pierced but are weaker to blunt weapons so pay attention to this in order to end the combat quicker.

The way healing works is also very creative in my opinion. You can get some flasks but they will be empty. Then, you will have to go to a store who sell potions in order to fill them with what you desire. You can fill them with poison, oil in order to burn your enemies and other healing herbs and medicine like the famous milk of the poppy. You can replace already filled bottles with other things if you desire. This is crucial for some harder fights and will help you in the long run.

The voice acting however is very poor, especially in the sad or dramatic scenes. During certain critical events I really tried to let myself get immersed by the things that were happening but the poor voice acting broke the immersion I was trying to achieve. That often used moment of “Noooooo!” is rather embarrassing and anger, sadness or fury moments are not strong enough to make some scenes more believable. It’s a shame because a game with such emphasis on story elements you really want to feel the tension you witness when watching the TV series or when reading the books but I’m afraid that sometimes this simply won’t do. You will notice some voices from the show like Varys the Spider but even with familiar voices, as soon other characters start to talk in a more emotional sense it won’t feel immersive. As for the normal and non-emotional conversations I believe it’s more than doable.

The visuals are also nothing to be amazed but this did not bother me at all. I played the game at 1080p and while it’s nothing to be stunned about I noticed some really nice details like when you are carrying a shield in your back and you see the scratches in it or the reflections of the sun in that golden lion shield from the Lannisters. While this is not a game to be played for the visuals I also saw my fair share of people trespassing doors, my dog getting his head between the iron of gates and other small glitches. Nothing game breaking, you just see that it’s something that could have been more polished. Because it’s in the deep of the lore that you will find the bigger satisfaction I ended up ignoring these small technical issues and I focused on my decisions, the stories and most of all, the outcomes based on what I said or done.

If you are a fan of the theme then I believe this game deservers a fair chance. It took me around 20 hours to finish (one of) the endings and I know there’s some replay value if you wish to see a different ending in the last couple of chapters.

Nice review, seems like a game that on it's own isn't that strong but a competent vehicle for delivering a GoT experience.

yoshizzle

Dead State got a huge update.

Highlights:
Major overhaul of combat balance! Core combat systems have been thoroughly reworked to take advantage of all the data and feedback we’ve gathered over the months since Dead State’s original release. Ranged weapons, melee weapons, armor, special attacks, ally / PC healing, and more have been reworked and carefully tested to create an engaging and challenging combat experience. Even the core combat system has been tweaked so that AC is calculated before damage reduction; this change makes combat more consistent and more fair​.

Smarter AI! Medic, Guard, Grenadier, Sniper, and more - New AI behaviors and schemas exist for human enemies, making them more interesting and more challenging to fight! Enemies will notice your presence more quickly and fully utilize all of their tactical options, thrown weapons, and special attacks.

New PC Infection option on New Game menu! Create a new game with PC Infection checked and your character will be as susceptible to infection as your allies are. Carefully manage your antibiotics and change your combat strategies to ensure your own survival!

Hardcore Mode!​​ In Hardcore mode combat becomes more dangerous, allies consume more resources and heal more slowly, and Morale is harder to keep up. Turn on Hardcore, Iron Man, and PC Infection for the ultimate challenge!

Alarms! That’s right - we’ve added alarms to buildings in several areas. Red, blinking lights warn you that there’s an active alarm on a building. Use your Science skill to deactivate an alarm and prevent a looting distraction from becoming a noisy attraction!

New areas and random encounters! Several new levels and random encounters have been added. Make sure to keep an eye out for the Chemical Plant, an area with a unique twist…

New combat sounds and animations! We’ve added new special attack, reloading, and healing animations and sounds. Special attacks feel smoother and more impactful now!

Stability improvements! We’ve rooted out every crash and progress blocking bug to make sure you have the smoothest possible experience. Several popularly requested usability improvements have been added, such as friendly fire confirmation, looting piled up bodies, and an option to toggle Live Shelter movement on and off.

Pathfinding improvements! Both allies and the undead have received major pathfinding adjustments that will reduce lag some people have experienced as well as make movement more consistent and natural.

Full patch notes here

milena87

Hey everyone! I just finished Game of Thrones (the role playing game) and I decided to post a little review on Steam but will also leave it here.

bzwhJEa.png

Thanks for writing this. I'm not sure if I'll ever play the game, but who knows, maybe if there's nothing to be played in a few months...
Glitches and substandard graphics don't really affect my enjoyment of an RPG. Poor voice acting might, but unless it's something atrocious like the italian version of Half Life 2 I can usually just try to ignore it.

I haven't read the books or watched the TV show, though. Maybe I should do one of those things first.

Happy Birthday JaseC!

also holy shit preloaded and downloaded The Witcher 3 in 2 hours o_O

so fast !

did TWC have a fast internet day or something o_O? anyway

hypeeeeeee

Bored, so will post a random giveaway in a few minutes.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Shutter -- MB-0E9D51323BAB7217 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total. Trivia Question: Refer to post 8753 for Q1?
The World Named Fred -- MB-FC9EE920D6848DC0 Trivia Question: Refer to post 8753 for Q4?
Cubicle Quest -- MB-BDE0B5E4FF1635B3 - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total. Trivia Question: Refer to post 8753 for Q3?
Dark Scavenger -- MB-44BBF8D8A1CDD212 - Taken by auroragoryalice. 1 entrants total. Trivia Question: Refer to post 8753 for Q2?

t1431600167z1.png

Answer format for example is "L3HQcat" or "l3hqcat" since capitalization doesn't matter I think.
HINT: First letter is the letter/number on the bottom of the pile.

I still would say Neptunia feels like a low budget game after 2-3 hours. I mean at that point you notice each dungeon just consists of the same 4-5 small maps put together in a different formation.

Dsyndrome

I've been holding off beating Witcher 2's third act with the hope that GOG would update the .exe sometime before Monday night to activate achievements. Gonna bite the bullet and start finishing it tomorrow, cuz those gargoyles aren't gonna slay themselves
and I'm impatient

Arthea

I'm making another list, this time of people badmouthing LYNE, so don't act all surprised when the time comes

I still would say Neptunia feels like a low budget game after 2-3 hours. I mean at that point you notice each dungeon just consists of the same 4-5 small maps put together in a different formation.

that's very funny, what makes you thing that Neptunia is not a low budget game
because it totally is

Dr Dogg

Bored, so will post a random giveaway in a few minutes.

Answer format for example is "L3HQcat" or "l3hqcat" since capitalization doesn't matter I think.
EcrywKD.png

HINT: First letter is the letter/number on the bottom of the pile.

This is quite clever. Not entering but certainty filled the missing morning sudoku void.

Dr Dogg

Sounds like a holdover from being a subscription based game and ZeniMax thought fuck it, leave it in.

This is a choice quote...
Ugh, get this PC gaming stuff off my consoles.

Now this also applies to FFXIV I own on PS3 as you can install the game on any other PS3 but need a sub to play. ZeniMax obviously want the buy to play model to be buy new to play otherwise they may as well just gone free to play. They probably still need to break even on this.

Aside from Gang Beasts are there any other 4+ multiplayer brawlers on Steam? More interested in a 2.5D or 3D perspective, rather than stuff like Towerfall/Samurai Gunn even though I know they scratch a similar itch.

I think Castle Crashers is the closest thing I can think of.

Arthea

It's a pretty standard fare in MMOs no matter the platform. It has been like this for years. I really don't see the outrage.

I never played MMOs on consoles, seems like a bad idea, but I never knew it's a thing on consoles. How you even input a key on PS2 for example, kindly tell me.

mrgone

Aside from Gang Beasts are there any other 4+ multiplayer brawlers on Steam? More interested in a 2.5D or 3D perspective, rather than stuff like Towerfall/Samurai Gunn even though I know they scratch a similar itch.

I think Castle Crashers is the closest thing I can think of.

There's Chronicles of Mystara, where you can get both your brawler and your D&D fix all at once.

That swirl on your avatar really makes me wish Capcom would port Power Stone over, though :)

edit: I think Chronicles is strictly co-op though. No throwing your friends into fire pits or giant fans by the scruff of their goddamned necks because they totally deserve it

edit2: Oh wait, there's Brawlhalla too, which looks like Smash Bros. and I think is supposed to be free to play when it comes out of early access.

Dr Dogg

Would you say there were... technical issues?

Hahaha intention more than likely. I'm surprised they're even doing a physical release but then I had to wait 3 days to download TESO after shackles was singing its praises but with the time taken the urge to play again has worn off.

The_Monk

Good morning everyone!

Nice review, seems like a game that on it's own isn't that strong but a competent vehicle for delivering a GoT experience.

Thanks, I believe that games inspired by books, movies and so on are a hit or miss and it's always hard to translate something from a book to a game in my opinion. There are good examples out there and this game may not be the best at it but I still believe they did a decent job in trying to create something less empty with just the right amount of conversations/dialogues.

Thanks for writing this. I'm not sure if I'll ever play the game, but who knows, maybe if there's nothing to be played in a few months...
Glitches and substandard graphics don't really affect my enjoyment of an RPG. Poor voice acting might, but unless it's something atrocious like the italian version of Half Life 2 I can usually just try to ignore it.

I haven't read the books or watched the TV show, though. Maybe I should do one of those things first.

I believe your experience may be very different from, say those who have read or are currently reading the books or watching the TV series to be honest. I think we all have some sort of backlog and this was a game I wanted to clean from it so I'm glad I managed to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom