• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

milena87

I liked that game a lot. The plot is solid, for me, it's really interesting and push you on playing to discover more. The gameplay is very similar to DA:O.

Wait. It's a party-based game with semi-real time with pause?

This changes everything.

And at the top of my backlog it goes.

Benedict

Some oldies.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Benedict, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Risk of Rain -- MB-A5A3EAE337AB53A7 - Taken by Cyldman
Really Big Sky -- MB-0238C789EEA6560B - Taken by titch

Arthea

The lost Mythologies already greenlit, that was fast!

Also greenlit:
SnarfQuest Tales
Tree of Saviour (already mentioned yesterday)
New York Mysteries: Secrets of the Mafia
Power Drive 2000 (everyone's favourite)
Hatashiai (realistic Samurai sword fighting)
Winterflame: The Other Side
Monsters' Den: Godfall
and some others

Still not greenlit:
Picross Pirates
Super Star Path
Prismatica
The Lord
Fantasy Mosaics series (Nonograms)

As you can see, Puzzle games never get enough votes, unless they end in the bundle, not fair. Well, The Lord is not a puzzle game, but that's besides the point.

titch

Black Desert and Lost Ark are two games that look too good to be true. I might play both if ever released in English just to be sure that such a thing is not possible!

edited: This seems like perfect opportunity to watch those trailers again.

Lost Ark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV0wWzDAwJU

Black Desert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TP4L1vHfpk

Like the look of Lost Ark.

The character creator for black desert - WOW

To everyone else who got shot out of a vagina today.

SUlz6ZY.jpg

image.php

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Beta: This giveaway is a trivia giveaway. In your PM, include BOTH the ModBot code for the game you want AND the answer to the trivia question on the same line separated by a space. Capitalization and punctuation are not important. Here is a visual example of how to format your ModBot PM
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

NaissanceE -- MB-4F6E9A535705E001 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total. Trivia Question: Refer to post 8803 What number is in the red circle?

t1431603527z1.png

Chariot

Aight guys. Whoever solves this first and sende the fully filled out solution to me per pm gets one specific of waifu games.

All solutions are waifu games that have a shopsite on steam and are or will be released.

edit: of course it's the last post on the page >_<

dex3108

Oh Polygon

Also, while I did not by any means see every city, burg and outpost in The Witcher 3's world in my 70+ hours spent within it, I don't recall a single non-white humanoid anywhere &#8212; not in Skellige, Novograd, Oxenfurt or anywhere else. Once I realized this I couldn't stop looking for any example of a person of color anywhere, and I never found it, unless you count naked monster women sitting at the feet of a boss like a slightly more awkward tribute to a Frank Frazetta painting. But maybe they're in there, somewhere.

The Witcher 3's subject matter, its almost defiant doubling down on its treatment of women as titillating props for Geralt and the player, even as it tries to flesh out more female leads, is its most disappointing aspect. This constant presence weighs down what would otherwise be an excellent bit of closure for Geralt's video game saga &#8212; which isn't helped by the control issues that often detract from sequences meant to break up open-world monotony.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8533059/the-witcher-3-review-wild-hunt-PC-PS4-Xbox-one

ModBot said:
Instructions for crimsonheadGCN:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crimsonheadGCN, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

EfagyaM.png
Smite Beta (Xbox One) -- MB-7BC19DF914FE17B6

t1431611327z1.png

Ban Puncher

Aight guys. Whoever solves this first and sende the fully filled out solution to me per pm gets one specific of waifu games.

All solutions are waifu games that have a shopsite on steam and are or will be released.

You put spaces in the names? Now I gotta erase a bunch.

C'mon son.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Oh Polygon

Also, while I did not by any means see every city, burg and outpost in The Witcher 3's world in my 70+ hours spent within it, I don't recall a single non-white humanoid anywhere — not in Skellige, Novograd, Oxenfurt or anywhere else. Once I realized this I couldn't stop looking for any example of a person of color anywhere, and I never found it, unless you count naked monster women sitting at the feet of a boss like a slightly more awkward tribute to a Frank Frazetta painting. But maybe they're in there, somewhere.

The Witcher 3's subject matter, its almost defiant doubling down on its treatment of women as titillating props for Geralt and the player, even as it tries to flesh out more female leads, is its most disappointing aspect. This constant presence weighs down what would otherwise be an excellent bit of closure for Geralt's video game saga — which isn't helped by the control issues that often detract from sequences meant to break up open-world monotony.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8533059/the-witcher-3-review-wild-hunt-PC-PS4-Xbox-one

ok everyone - here's a little game ... try to guess who wrote that review WITHOUT clicking the link ;)

dex3108

I don't see the problem. Reviews are a subjective matter.

Witcher Saga is based on books and author used Middle Age Eastern Europe as location. That location even in fantasy world was made authentic for that period as much as author could. So criticism of that kind in my opinion can't be applied in this case. But Polygon is know for that kind of criticism (see Bayoneta 2 Review).

Dr Dogg

I think that's a fair observation. Whether it should be as an aside in a review and not something explored a little and looking at context, the world of The Witcher, whether having token characters of differing ethnicities just there is a good thing and other such possible conversations is debatable.

predictions for witcher 3 player base on steam day 1?

Well last time I did this I was completely wrong but I'd imagine the bulk of the PC playerbase is going to be on GOG so I'll play it safe and say 60-80,000 tops. And then you can all laugh at me next week when I'm waaay out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In a perfect world we would have much better AA options than a sort of decent post-process AA solution like SMAA.

"It" being "The post-process AA option of choice". But, yeah, it would be nice if more developers offered a variety of AA methods instead of just the one.

I think that's a fair observation. Whether it should be as an aside in a review and not something explored a little and looking at context, the world of The Witcher, whether having token characters of differing ethnicities just there is a good thing and other such possible conversations is debatable.

Yeah seems reasonable to me. Even if you disagree, getting angry at it is pretty much the equivalent of booing a heel wrestler.

It is just their job.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The world of Witcher reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones which seems to have no struggle filling it's world with people of varying color so maybe there is room for debate.

Milamber

Dammit! Japanese words and not the English one!?

JaseC

The world of Witcher reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones which seems to have no struggle filling it's world with people of varying color so maybe there is room for debate.

I can see it now: "CDPR announces Game of Thrones RPG; there's just one problem..."

Dr Dogg

Yeah seems reasonable to me. Even if you disagree, getting angry at it is pretty much the equivalent of booing a heel wrestler.

It is just their job.

Hahaha I had to look up what a heel wrestle is.

Oh dude there's masses and masses of scope to debate this, not just in gaming but all forms of entertainment, though personality I don't feel a good way to start the conversation is a small aside in a review. Though as a mid thirties, white bloke, from Europe it's something I feel better severed observing the arguments from various positions first that dive in tooting my horn from the get go.

Jadax

You could buy the GOG version on the cheap with the help of a VPN.
I don't know, there used to be a time when I didn't care if my games were on steam - but now, if my game isn't on steam, I don't play it.

Steam has ruined gaming for me like that.

Hi, I'm back, bitches. (nobody cares, I know)

But I was wondering if the level of 'scam behavior' with Steam had been discussed or whether it be worth making a new thread about.
(The F2P games are obvious - my funny bone snapped when I discovered AdVenture Capitalist actually gained a spaaaaace expansion, and it even had a catchy tune.. for a game made as a parody... - , as are people trying to get stuff from your inventory, but that's not what I'm referring to.)

What I'm referring to is scam behavior by developers using Steam Trading Cards.

Basically, one or two games can get the 95% off from Steam, resulting in one or two games that cost 19 cents (euro) to buy, meaning that with sets of 5 or 6 cards, the games nearly "pay for themselves" when you sell the cards at 3x7= 21 cents, except you only get 15 cents out of it. 3 cents go to Valve, 3 cents go to the dev, as a minimum.
But here's the thing: none of that money is actually free. All of it comes from our pockets, and delusional as we all are, we fall willingly for this trap where it's 'almost free', which it isn't. Yet evidently, this is totally worth it for developers, because it has become a thing in recent weeks.

For every card sold, there is obviously a buyer, so every sale generates 19+3 =21 cents per unit sold. Now obviously, this IS a ridiculously low number. Until you start looking at card sales, which will suddenly be in the thousands per day. 0,21 x 1000 = 210 bucks, after all. Do that over the course of at least a week, and you get a relative nice big number.

It's still nothing compared to most games, obviously, but the thing here is that these games have basically either stopped selling altogether, or they are just that fucking terrible, meaning they shouldn't sell any at all.
And that worries me, because it's easy to slap something together, and then use the illusion of 'free money' to get real 'free money' (on the dev end), because they basically had to give zero effort to get it. Or could, is what the point is. Aside from one, the games so far at that price have been decent enough. But we all know that Bad Rats is going to show up at some point, and those devs will basically be instantly extra rewarded for making the worst game of all fucking time.

Do I worry too much, or am I not the only one who sees a kind of problem with this?

There's definitely plenty room for debate. Hopefully that debate isn't about the worthiness of having diversity in the first place though.

Milamber

4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are drawing blanks.

Poetic

I don't know, there used to be a time when I didn't care if my games were on steam - but now, if my game isn't on steam, I don't play it.

Same, I had the GoG code as I bought a 980 3 weeks ago. I sold it, then bought the steam version. Weird.

JaseC

I would say you could buy a gift copy of the GOG version on the cheap and then sell it for a profit on, say, eBay (assuming GOG's gift system is similar to that of Steam), but that's no longer possible.

Ban Puncher

exDU7Bz.png

Done. And in comic sans.

Deques

spares

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deques, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

3 Stars of Destiny -- MB-FCF81BC4D92E0180 - Taken by lindarasta
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-CC128D8706E4140E

Done. And in comic sans.

I applaud your waifu knowledge.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Battlepaths -- MB-30BCF4EBDDB7DD91 - Taken by TheSadRanger
xheRJRF.gif
Rush Bros -- MB-5389EA73EBF87067 - Taken by Soulflarz
Canyon Capers -- MB-6E6D77D205091ED0 - Taken by auroragoryalice
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem -- MB-009701EBE85803FD - Taken by tioslash

Catshade

So, I played a bit FFIV After Years and...I'm liking it. Of course I didn't see the whole game, I'm still in the first story, but until now it's basically a sequel to FFIV, if you loved that one, I'm sure you'll like this too.
I don't mind about graphics, since I liked FFIV ones and those are pretty much the exact, same thing.

What about the frame rate? Does 15 FPS during battles bother you at all?

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/exDU7Bz.png[/IMG

Done. And in comic sans.[/QUOTE]

I totally would have done it faster and not in Comic sans (yuck!) if not for work and my laziness
[SPOILER]also I think the prize is awesome Nep Nep which I already have twice. Ya, that's the real reason I didn't[/SPOILER]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom