• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, edited my post :)
Is it true Ryse is 3 hours long? HLTB says 6 hours or so, but people on community hub claim otherwise.

I finished it yesterday in one sitting. 6 is closer, but like r3n4ud mentioned, that 3 could be the actual gameplay.

The main reason I played it was to give my shiny new 970 a spin with a flashy game. Beyond a technical showpiece, it's hard to recommend, because:

- the story is functional, sometimes even verging on interesting. For historical accuracy, it gets a flat F. God of War might be closer to historical truth. Your character development is a grab bag of: For Rome! For my family! For me! Pick some.

- the gameplay is functional, kind of. There are no real combos to be had beyond switching up attacks with a guard break. The executions are truly QTEs with color-coded button presses, but because the combat is so basic, even the non-execution moments feel like QTEs. X, Y, X or just X,X,X. Sometimes A. It's like that memory game Simon.

- there's no depth in stat upgrades. None. The upgrades came so fast and plentiful that it made me question why the game wants me to do it. Just give me those stats to start and do away with the whole thing, since it boils down to "I don't have that amount yet" and then moments later, "I have that amount now." I never felt like I was working toward any upgrade. And they were menial, at that.

But damn is it pretty. And I love the setting, as I've always been a bit of a Roman history "buff." These 2 factors weighed heavily enough that even the above complaints didn't kill the entire game for me like it would for most. I'm not unhappy I played it.

Turfster

Getgames Stealth sale is basically a Mordor 50% off and AssCrud/Splinter Cell Uplay up to 75% off sale (Uplay titles not for the US)
They also have a Codemasters sale

GamesRepublic Birthday sale, today's Capcpom day! Up to 75% off (Not for the US, though)

Groupees WDN Drastik Measure 2 bundle
Price: 1$/2 game minimum
  • Nyctophobia
  • Incognitio
  • AERENA Masters Edition
  • Survivors
  • 8 Bit Adventures: The Forgotten Journey
  • Yargis Space Melee

GOG is having an Activision weekend too.
If you don't have them yet, buy the Quest for Glory collection and Gabriel Knight games =p

Gamestop (US only) has Witcher 1 & 2 Steam keys for 1.5$/3$ respectively

Not Without my Donuts keys now available for Groupees BAGB22

Whitewash keys now available for Groupees BAGB 8

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Everywhere has Mordor for 50% off these days. I'm waiting for a 75% as I'm not really sure how well my laptop will run it.

Dr Dogg

I really liked Ryse and no that's not that parasitic Ceti Alpha 5 Eel latched onto my cerebral cortex telling me to say that.

C4rter

Bundle Stuff.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (C4rter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

The Journey Down: Chapter One -- MB-87F4CF9560EAB4D9 - Taken by texhnolyze

Dsyndrome

I really liked Ryse and no that's not that parasitic Ceti Alpha 5 Eel latched onto my cerebral cortex telling me to say that.

Hypnotoad then.

I'm hoping for some ball-buster price during Steam sales to pick it up, too many new releases and backlogged new games for me to put any time into.

Ban Puncher

tumblr_ltn0mgup7o1qij8g6.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Man Puncher, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

FarSky -- MB-35112D38EA5F0342 - Taken by Se7enSword
Arena: Cyber Evolution - Founder's Pack (Early Access) -- MB-6EF96FDD91B9D1F7
Race the Sun -- MB-05DC01FA742C39F2 - Taken by Bayonetta

em5PSJW.png

K2RxGWS.png

38gyxbG.png

HZQjelJ.png

F57JOvk.png

wp79lux.png

U3cQmKC.png

Are those better now? :D If you have any other suggestions or requests please feel free to write them :D

Yes, except I have no clue what the 14th, 15th, and 16th months are.

Is one of them Smarch?

Lousy Smarch weather...

Has anyone played Venetica? The user reviews are much more positive than the metascore.

Gee... could it be possible that critics pan a game that's actually good?
It's $4 for crying out loud. If there's anything else in that bundle that interests you, like The Last Tinker, then it's $2 or less. It's not like it's a $60 game man. Read the reviews, decide who sounds most credible to you, then make an informed decision.

It's not rocket science, people.

so, since it's been 7 years since Fallout 3 came out and, for many folks, Skyrim was a more recent and possibly first beth RPG they've played...

how long soon after Fallout 4 is finally revealed until someone calls it Skyrim with guns?

Ahh... and we'll have come full Circle:

Fallout 3 reveal: "So it's Oblivion with guns?"
Skyrim reveal: " So it's Fallout with swords and dragons?"
Fallout 4 reveal: "So it's Skyrim with guns?"

Momentary

Banned
Looking at D4 they say that it's a 1080p display in recommendations. That doesn't mean that's the max resolution for the game. I don't see it that way at least.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Scourge Outbreak -- MB-6FB676254B28439F - Taken by Stumpokapow. 5 entrants total.
Runaway a road adventure -- MB-89DBEB762BD38564 - Taken by Annubis. 8 entrants total.
Muffin Knight -- MB-D5B74E8362BAF617 - Taken by factorone. 1 entrants total.
Battlepaths -- MB-636C0E4CA364F386

t1430507222z1.png

Dr Dogg

What on earth have Microsoft been doing?!?!?1 That ex Rare dev's kickstater has hit 20% of it's goal in 5 mins and it's climbing rapidly.

What on earth have Microsoft been doing?!?!?1 That ex Rare dev's kickstater has hit 20% of it's goal in 5 mins and it's climbing rapidly.

You don't like Kinect?

EDIT: Holy crap the speed of that kickstarter. It's going to be funded within the hour

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Journey Down Chapter One -- MB-0D493DB359EC6A4B - Taken by Naked Snake. 1 entrants total.
Runaway The Dream of the Turtle -- MB-F7082F4797483314 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Runaway A Road Adventure -- MB-628BD1048305B4FD - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.

t1430497562z1.png

Lomax

I'm sure Microsoft would have been more than happy to fund a sequel to Banjo-Kazooie for $300k.

I'm sure Microsoft would have been more than happy to fund a sequel to Banjo-Kazooie for $300k.

The $300k is a placeholder goal and they obviously expect to make way more. And they will.
MS could've definitely funded a BK on a budget, not every game needs to be AAAA.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Yooka laylee already has funded over £ 100,000.

That's genuinely impressive.

old news ... they're already at 123k ... 124 ... 125 ... 126 ... damn ... 127 ;)

Edit: 128

Edit2: 129

Edit3: 130 ... lol

Edit4: ok, I'm done ... they'll get the cash in the next 10 minutes ;)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
old news ... they're already at 123k ... 124 ... 125 ... 126 ... damn ... 127 ;)

We can't count, mate.
It's going too fast.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why are we surprised that Banjo Kazoo fans would want to collect as many stretch goals as possible?

Teggy

Gee... could it be possible that critics pan a game that's actually good?
It's $4 for crying out loud. If there's anything else in that bundle that interests you, like The Last Tinker, then it's $2 or less. It's not like it's a $60 game man. Read the reviews, decide who sounds most credible to you, then make an informed decision.

I already bought it, I was just wondering if people thought it was worth taking a look at given my library is so huge.

Dsyndrome

People have fond memories it seems. Never played any of the Banjo games.

rtcn63

The Banjo games were competent collect-a-thons, and the characters were charming for the time. The levels themselves were a bit uneven IIRC, and I stopped enjoying the game sometime around the shark level.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
... aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're done ... funded ... in 40 minutes ... lol :)

Anyone have any experience with getting Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast to work o Windows 7 64 bit? Same for any front ends that might help with Dark Forces 2 and Mystery of the Sith.

Already found Dark Forces XL to be pretty helpful for the very first game.

Funny you should ask about fixes for the latter two games, because I actually made a guide to get both running due to how difficult they were to get working. Here is the Dark Forces 2 fix & here is the Mystery of the Sith fix. The only drawback is the visual quality takes a hit due to the nature of the fix. I didn't do extensive testing, but I see no reason why they won't work for you.

For Outcast & Academy, there's probably still user .cfg edits or whatever posted in their respective discussion pages to get them working without much fuss. IIRC it took one copy & paste to get them working fine last time I played them.

Definitely try to play them in order. Dark Forces is a cool snapshot in time, and while Dark Forces 2 is merely ok, MotS builds it up to an incredible finale. Jedi Outcast is just incredible, and acadamy is a good follow-up. It's a classic series... such a shame they never continued it. Kyle Katarn 4ever; the Star Wars EU can never die.

Mr. Doop

The Banjo games were competent collect-a-thons, and the characters were charming for the time. The levels themselves were a bit uneven IIRC, and I stopped enjoying the game sometime around the shark level.

Yeah, Clanker's Cavern is really unenjoyable for me. I just don't like 3D water levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom