• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bj4SKoi.png

lets do thissssss

Despite the retro graphics it's not actually a 3DS game, just FYI.

JaseC

Ok, so how long until we absolutely must buy Ducktales because the Disney/Capcom deal is about to end? It's still fucking only 50% off god dammit.

Who knows. That's why it's always best to play it safe and buy sooner rather than later.

Who knows. That's why it's always best to play it safe and buy sooner rather than later.

Capcom is really good at letting people know about when they're pulling a game with plenty of advance notice. They've let people know about the marvel and Jojo games being pulled, and they'll even go as far as to put them on sale before they get pulled, too.

Khronico

at least you didn't go as far as saying it's the worst game ever, as steamgaf is used to. Yes, it's nothing special, why exactly does that mean it's not worth anyone's time? What if he likes TRPGs? People like Disgae games fgs, and they overstay their welcome by centuries and aren't god tier too.

I don't think it's bad either, just average. There's some interesting concepts in the game but it's marred by extremely low production values and REALLY sluggish repetitious battles (It's helped by increasing your framerate limit to 60). If it was more on the short side, I might say it's worth a look just to see the interesting stuff, but it's almost a 100 hour game. IMO it's not worth the time investment even if you like TRPGS.

Arthea

Capcom is really good at letting people know about when they're pulling a game with plenty of advance notice. They've let people know about the marvel and Jojo games being pulled, and they'll even go as far as to put them on sale before they get pulled, too.

I wish all publishers did that.

I don't think it's bad either, just average. There's some interesting concepts in the game but it's marred by extremely low production values and REALLY sluggish repetitious battles (It's helped by increasing your framerate limit to 60). If it was more on the short side, I might say it's worth a look just to see the interesting stuff, but it's almost a 100 hour game. IMO it's not worth the time investment even if you like TRPGS.

You just described every TRPG in existence ever, no? It's not only production values, it's a rather an old game as I said, and it feels.

JaseC

Sure, but what if Capcom has dropped the ball with Ducktales and it disappears tomorrow? ;)

titch

Oh dear. no-one seen that right.....right...

Hopefully these keys will be still valid or my edit wasn't quick enough...stupid eejit

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode II War of The Abyss -- MB-7F78B4CE2036D860 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.
Cubetractor -- MB-23677A37DDF4F596 - Taken by galv. 4 entrants total.
Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath -- MB-0AC26F6FDC1C739D - Taken by Akuosa. 1 entrants total.
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode 1 Tides of Fate Complete -- MB-35AD8ADE23704C7C - Taken by xGreg. 1 entrants total.

t1431633648z1.png

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Just decided to start up a new charcter in guild wars 2.

I feel like that's an extremly bad idea just before my exams :D

NOT A HERO

I will give some brief thoughts on it.

In a word - surreal. It combines the platforming elements of Broforce (minus the ladders and 80's nostalgia) with this strange undertone of deadpan humor. The missions run the gamut from clearing out drug warehouses and enemy buildings to delivering BunnyLord's aunt to her apartment and killing nosy reporters.

I can't really say it's my cup of tea (Broforce hooked me more with its insanity), but I can really appreciate what the game does right. It's extremely polished, the gameplay is fluid and responsive, and there's a nice assortment of optional objectives that increase the replay value and challenges.

rtcn63

I have the Tenergy branded AA rechargeables- they go on sale often. Only issue is that they're on the "short" side, so making proper terminal contact with some devices is problematic, and requires fidgeting. (360 controller)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of hohoXD123, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hohoXD123, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Life is Strange Complete Season Pass -- MB-507CE8EDA05F29ED - Taken by Se7enSword. 52 entrants total.

t1431637365z1.png

I will give some brief thoughts on it.

In a word - surreal. It combines the platforming elements of Broforce (minus the ladders and 80's nostalgia) with this strange undertone of deadpan humor. The missions run the gamut from clearing out drug warehouses and enemy buildings to delivering BunnyLord's aunt to her apartment and killing nosy reporters.

I can't really say it's my cup of tea (Broforce hooked me more with its insanity), but I can really appreciate what the game does right. It's extremely polished, the gameplay is fluid and responsive, and there's a nice assortment of optional objectives that increase the replay value and challenges.

I'm early in the game, myself, but so far I agree with what you have here.

One thing I find myself wishing is that it was a less arcade-y. Broforce does a pretty great job at the wild, frantic action. I feel that Not A Hero plays best when it's a cover shooter with short bursts of coming out guns blazing.

As of right now, it's a fun, solid little game. If it swung for the fences as a cover shooter and the levels were long, consistent missions instead of the arcade style, I think I'd be totally ga-ga over it.

Dr Dogg

Good Lord Almighty, that is awesome. Gonna take a better look at those then.
6ms reaction time, here I come!

Don't buy an IPS monitor unless you're going to be doing work that requires colour accuracy/consistency like design, pre press or photography (and then I know plenty of people who work in those fields and don't calibrate their system often enough). Unless you want to go down the high refresh rate route a VA panel will give you a much, much more pleasing image with around 3 to 5 times the static contrast of a TN or IPS type panel.

Years ago they has some serious drawbacks like high response times and narrow viewing angles and while there are still some issues with contrast shift, particularly to the perimeter and off centre viewing angles the couple of VA panels I've used over the last few years have insane viewing angles and faster than IPS response times (some with Overdrive less signal processing than fast TN's).

As I said earlier, before looking at monitors figure out what you want a monitor for, your area where you'll be using it and your budget. Once that's sorted read as many reviews for things that fit into those three things and clue yourself up about different panel technologies. I could bang on about plenty of other factors like calibration, signal processing, panel bit depth, pulse width modulation, even differences in ambient light in your work/play space but hey baby steps. Most folks don't put a lot of thought into what monitor they get but it's what displays the end result from your PC and the main source of feedback so you want it to be the best if can be and not something worth rushing into.

def sim

using my remaining gmg credit

ModBot said:
Instructions for Default DOS:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Default DOS, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Sine Mora -- MB-67C5CBB16286BC12 - Taken by shockdude

I'm early in the game, myself, but so far I agree with what you have here.

One thing I find myself wishing is that it was a less arcade-y. Broforce does a pretty great job at the wild, frantic action. I feel that Not A Hero plays best when it's a cover shooter with short bursts of coming out guns blazing.

As of right now, it's a fun, solid little game. If it swung for the fences as a cover shooter and the levels were long, consistent missions instead of the arcade style, I think I'd be totally ga-ga over it.

I think the levels get longer and a little more involved the more you get into it. Also the characters you unlock have their own abilities that will change how you go through the levels. I'm liking it a lot so far. You can do an all out run through the levels for speed if you want or you can take your time (some levels have timed challenges though so watch out) and go from cover.

This is interesting - the Groupees BM19 just added an additional tier. It's for a Kickstarter for an upcoming game. It's $4 extra for anyone who preordered, and you get access to the game/artbook/soundtrack/beta builds.

someone who knows what im talking about: how hard is a Network+ to someone who really knows his shit with computers but knows jack all about networking outside of setting up a wifi network? Or should i do Security+ first/instead?

Ive been thinking of studying and doing the cert for either of those while my boss is away on vacation because why not and wanted to see what would be easier to study for while working, too.

shockdude

Ended up getting Astebreed with card money, and just won Sine Mora from Default DOS (thanks!).
At this rate I'm gonna end up owning every bullet hell shmup on Steam. The only ones left that I can think of are Ikaruga, QP Shooting, and the Gundemonium collection.

at least you didn't go as far as saying it's the worst game ever, as steamgaf is used to. Yes, it's nothing special, why exactly does that mean it's not worth anyone's time? What if he likes TRPGs? People like Disgaea games fgs, and they overstay their welcome by centuries and aren't god tier too.

They overstay their welcome if you let them. If you go through the main campaign once or twice, don't worry yourself too much about Item World or the council, it's a fun experience. I never really found a reason to get my damage numbers up into the billions.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of hohoXD123, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hohoXD123, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Life is Strange Complete Season Pass -- MB-507CE8EDA05F29ED - Taken by Se7enSword. 52 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Life is Strange Complete Season Pass was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1431638445z1.png

hohoXD123

Wait why is this repost including the old nowinnersweekly rule. Same modbot code as the new one so hopefully it shouldn't matter.

Edit: And now there's two, yeah I messed up.

Lomax

Wait why is this repost including the old nowinnersweekly rule. Same modbot code as the new one so hopefully it shouldn't matter.

It's a drawback of the repost system, when you alter the giveaway, it still reposts the original format. The rule change should still be in effect though, it just doesn't show.

Edit: nope, you're good...

As long as you got the message in your original PM response from the second modbot register that he "updated the untaken key to the new giveaway" or whatever, you're good. Since both have the same "unique" entry key, you don't have to worry about conflicting winners and having a race condition for one of the winners to activate the key.

Knurek

God damn it, Psycho Pass 2 isn't pulling any punches...
Hey, Japan, anime shouldn't be so good anymore. Go back to your gacha games and pantsu fanservice. Or else I won't have any time for playing games.

derExperte

Don't buy an IPS monitor unless you're going to be doing work that requires colour accuracy/consistency like design, pre press or photography (and then I know plenty of people who work in those fields and don't calibrate their system often enough). Unless you want to go down the high refresh rate route a VA panel will give you a much, much more pleasing image with around 3 to 5 times the static contrast of a TN or IPS type panel.

I used to be a VA fan and in theory still am but they're getting rarer and rarer and are usually more expensive than good IPS monitors while the differences imo aren't that distinct. Don't know if there are some recent insider tips but especially for ~200€ it'll be difficult.

salsafish, girl, please quote that pic. It's ginarounhumongoulosous big

But it's Rick & Morty. Can't be too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom