• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
I didn't know there was a movie and TV show.

Well let's just sweep those under the rug.. Can we get a better one? Pls and thanks.

Also, this is why no one like iashman.

Eanan

We're not doing this any more.

Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army 2 is 75% off on Amazon

They released an "improved and remastered" version of this game in the trilogy.

But nope, they didnt include this remastering as a free update for this game.

Salsa

Do people actually buy stuff like this?

6b9rTbp.png

no

Vibranium

Banned
Don't buy an IPS monitor unless you're going to be doing work that requires colour accuracy/consistency like design, pre press or photography (and then I know plenty of people who work in those fields and don't calibrate their system often enough). Unless you want to go down the high refresh rate route a VA panel will give you a much, much more pleasing image with around 3 to 5 times the static contrast of a TN or IPS type panel.

Years ago they has some serious drawbacks like high response times and narrow viewing angles and while there are still some issues with contrast shift, particularly to the perimeter and off centre viewing angles the couple of VA panels I've used over the last few years have insane viewing angles and faster than IPS response times (some with Overdrive less signal processing than fast TN's).

As I said earlier, before looking at monitors figure out what you want a monitor for, your area where you'll be using it and your budget. Once that's sorted read as many reviews for things that fit into those three things and clue yourself up about different panel technologies. I could bang on about plenty of other factors like calibration, signal processing, panel bit depth, pulse width modulation, even differences in ambient light in your work/play space but hey baby steps. Most folks don't put a lot of thought into what monitor they get but it's what displays the end result from your PC and the main source of feedback so you want it to be the best if can be and not something worth rushing into.
I would like you to know that you were the first name to spring into mind when asking about this. But I refrained from bombarding you directly since you already helped me so much lately with other stuff :p

About your post. So much conflicting messages from Gaf XD
At first I was ok with a TN over IPS. Turns out the places I read about monitors were a bit outdated and IPS monitors with 5ms reaction times are available for 160-180€ (which is my budget). Coupled with people here bashing TN and favoring IPS over else, I thought that's the way to go.
Tbh I disregarded VA completely out of the equation till now.

I am as casual of a consumer as they come as in I want the best for cheapest regardless of need ;)
No, for real, I watch movies/videos from time to time, browse a lot and game from time to time. Nothing work critical is needed from a monitor by me. IPS with its good viewing angles and better color representation sounds really nice. TN's super quick RT of 1ms is a bit overkill for me as I am not a competitive player and neither am I in the +60fps camp. RT/Hz are what I gathered are the big boni of TN panels.
As size I realized 24 & 27 inch are the most common sizes. 24 is good for me.

Reading now that VA might be also a good choice means I need to check that tech a bit more out.
I also need to check out all the other sub-panel types, IPS (AD-PLS, AH-IPS, E-IPS, PLS), TN/TN+Film, VA (AHVA, AMVA, AMVA+, MVA, PVA) -_-'
Although TN is out of the question for me now. Tending towards IPS for good colors. Might change after researching VA panels.

L.O.R.D

yJWsgqq.jpg

xmOWmj9.jpg

some just made a huge mistake

first time when i build my own PC 10 years ago , the owner of the shop said get the card with bigger number from the left,,its newer = its better
but i didn't listened to him , i got the NX 6600 GT instead on 7200

salsafish, girl, please quote that pic. It's ginarounhumongoulosous big

No.
It's ginormous because that's the scope Rick and Morty season 2 deserves.

But it's Rick & Morty. Can't be too big.

Truthiness is delicious.

That's cool, Salsa. I've got to convince my girlfriend to like this show. I think I'll just have to *gasp* watch it by myself in my free time instead of playing video games.

Well, if you can't convince her, the relationship isn't worthwhile and you've got to move on.

why you do this iashman?

Cause he can be a mischievous spiteful bugger.

You misspelled Shadowrun.

No. You both fucked up. What you're trying to say is "as long as that Dishwasher director's cut promised to PC finally materializes, we're good."

That and, y'know, bring KI over from the X1.

you know what's actually a fantastic, easier to get version of Viva Piñata?

the DS one

What's a DEEE ESSSS?

Asgaro

Went through a bookmarks folder 'Games to check out'...

wishlist%20addiction.png

I've come to realise I will never actually beat all the games I ever want to play in my life time.
It's all because of indie game development existing since a few years and too many good indie games arriving.
If we only had AAA games, I would have completed my backlog by now + would have bought all the games I had on my wish list and also completed those as well.

I don't know whether the indie game development is a blessing or a curse in my case...
I always thought till about a year ago that I would eventually be able to complete all the games I want to complete.
(I only buy Steam games I TRULY know I want to play from start to finish. The amount of games I touched and did NOT complete are less than 10 I would guess.)

But now my wish list is larger than the current amount of games I have (160 owned vs 170 wish listed or something).

Now that gaming has been put on the back burner for me the last few months (Haven't played a game for about 4 months) for college reasons and wanting to freshen up my social life, I feel it's an impossible task...

I wish I could have 1 year where the time froze. So I could game like mad without repercussions and be done with the backlog and wish list. To be able to start with a clean sheet that I can actually manage.

---
edit: I also have the problem that I spend too much time reading about games, instead of actually playing them.
As said, the last 4 months I haven't played any game, but yet I keep up with the latest gaming news and am subscribed to some YT channels I check frequently.

yJWsgqq.jpg

xmOWmj9.jpg

first time when i build my own PC 10 years ago , the owner of the shop said get the card with bigger number from the left,,its newer = its better

Wow, is that real? I feel bad for him.
Yeah, I had similar experience with pc parts shop when I first bought a graphic card. Scumbags.

yJWsgqq.jpg

xmOWmj9.jpg

yJWsgqq.jpg

xmOWmj9.jpg

(for the 720 is the bigger number comment...)

3scnt6.jpg

Dsyndrome

After 3 hours of dying, I finally killed the stupid Operator in Witcher 2. Freezing the gargoyles and shattering them and tons of dodge-rolling around the cramped room with invisible barriers netted me victory and an awesome staff that's better than the sword I have now. Save-scumming is seriously my favorite game mechanic in the world, btw, and I highly encourage its use. :)
Edit: Why did no one tell me it was NPD day?

I would buy The Witcher 3 but since it's one of those NVIDIA Gameworks "The way it's meant to be played" or whatever it is games I'll wait and see how everything is before I even think about buying it. I'm already getting Arkham Knight next month on PS4 (friend is buying it for me) so I won't worry about PC for that one any time soon.

Miguel81

I would buy The Witcher 3 but since it's one of those NVIDIA Gameworks "The way it's meant to be played" or whatever it is games I'll wait and see how everything is before I even think about buying it. I'm already getting Arkham Knight next month on PS4 (friend is buying it for me) so I won't worry about PC for that one any time soon.

After the performance issues I've gotten from Project CARS, I'll be doing the same.

titch

Went through a bookmarks folder 'Games to check out'...

wishlist%20addiction.png

---
edit: I also have the problem that I spend too much time reading about games, instead of actually playing them.
As said, the last 4 months I haven't played any game, but yet I keep up with the latest gaming news and am subscribed to some YT channels I check frequently.

Yip i'm exactly the same spent far too much money on games i will never play(even though i always intend to) and it's not collecting for collecting sake - i will only pick up a game i have a genuine interest in.

Lomax

For anyone looking to scratch the SNES Zelda itch, bit Dungeon II from the current Humble Weekly does a pretty good job of it. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it definitely has the feel down and while it has aspects of Isaac-likes such as permadeath, it's not nearly as merciless (spoiler on how the death mechanic works ->
So long as you go back to the spot where you died, you can retrieve your extra life, you'll only die permanently if you die before doing so
). For a dollar it's definitely worth giving a shot if you like the genre.

http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

yJWsgqq.jpg

xmOWmj9.jpg

:/

I'm going to buy a 8800, and he kinda looks like Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom