• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOG galaxy is quite nice but yea I can't play Witcher 3 until release like the rest of you. I should have got the PS4 version instead...

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
G8PUiaY.jpg

itshappening.gif

Turfster

God, it's been so long since I played anything with tank controls that I'm running into stuff all the time.
I basically have to keep my hand off the mouse.

GetGames has a COD (Mac) 50% off sale.
Remember, Blops isn't Steamplay.

Chariot

Witcher 2 is really good, I just wanted to rush through the story to be done with it before Witcher 3 releases, but I getting disattracted by all the quests and beauty. And with beauty I mean
getting lured into an obvious trap by a beautiful elf just because Iof the thirst. That's it. I am going to play racist predjustice Gerald for the rest of the game. When I can't screw the elves I am going to fuck them.
/salty thirst rant

GOG galaxy is quite nice but yea I can't play Witcher 3 until release like the rest of you. I should have got the PS4 version instead...

Based on that video comparison someone... linked earlier, I felt like the PS4 version actually looked better to me (and the dock section had an extra boat in the background, a big red one). Not sure about actual framerate (and parts of it were hard to judge, like Geralt's character model, because the makers didn't ensure that the footage had Geralt wearing the same armor/hairstyle/whatever), but it makes me feel like I should've skipped TW3 on PC with my little GTX770 (2gb).

zkylon

zkylewd
welcome back, comrade zkylon

thank you

No clue where you went or whatever, but when you make comments like this, I like that you're back.
thanks

i find it kind of confusing that ppl dismiss witcha1 so easily since it's actually a really good game. the combat is kind of dumb i guess at this point but there are really cool story and quest things that i didn't see in many other rpgs (specially liked side quests affecting main quests and indecision also being considered a capital c choice), including witcha2.

i also really like the fact that it's all in one city (and its outskirts), it's just something i really like and wish more rpgs did. dragon age 2 tried to do that but the city itself wasn't really that interesting and the game had bigger problems anyways, but at least i found that exciting about it at the time

Don't even get me started. My life has more disappointment than an e3 hype thread.

i mean, that's not really it for me, i don't really think about my life that way, but it's been a rough past couple of weeks

Witcher 2 is really good, I just wanted to rush through the story to be done with it before Witcher 3 releases, but I getting disattracted by all the quests and beauty. And with beauty I mean
getting lured into an obvious trap by a beautiful elf just because Iof the thirst. That's it. I am going to play racist predjustice Gerald for the rest of the game. When I can't screw the elves I am going to fuck them.
/salty thirst rant
pls don't call geralt "gerald"

That's not today, CDPR ;-;

Welcome back zkyzky~

im trying

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's the most beautiful time of the year, cheer up pandas

this might be ~~~bottle of rose wine talking

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
/salty thirst rant

you need to get out more ;)

Based on that video comparison someone... linked earlier, I felt like the PS4 version actually looked better to me (and the dock section had an extra boat in the background, a big red one). Not sure about actual framerate (and parts of it were hard to judge, like Geralt's character model, because the makers didn't ensure that the footage had Geralt wearing the same armor/hairstyle/whatever), but it makes me feel like I should've skipped TW3 on PC with my little GTX770 (2gb).

"someone" .... pfffff

Salsa

/salty thirst rant

man maybe it's just me but I would have gotten another playthrough maybe like 4-6 months ago

but playing the whole thing this close to 3's release, knowing how massive that game is, would only guarantee that i'd get burnt out by it fast

i find it kind of confusing that ppl dismiss witcha1 so easily since it's actually a really good game. the combat is kind of dumb i guess at this point but there are really cool story and quest things that i didn't see in many other rpgs (specially liked side quests affecting main quests and indecision also being considered a capital c choice), including witcha2.

i also really like the fact that it's all in one city (and its outskirts), it's just something i really like and wish more rpgs did. dragon age 2 tried to do that but the city itself wasn't really that interesting and the game had bigger problems anyways, but at least i found that exciting about it at the time

I don't know why people hate the combat so much -- it's just rhythm/timing based action rpg stuff... it's not great, but it's not terrible. I managed it with a PGP profile and a DS3, so anyone who bitches about the combat is just factually incorrect.

God, it's been so long since I played anything with tank controls that I'm running into stuff all the time.
I basically have to keep my hand off the mouse.

Your stubborn curmudgeonliness knows no bounds, does it? Use a damned controller, you fool.

Copons

Yeah, this.

I can't believe the hate TW1 gets sometimes, when I strongly think it's the better game with the worse combat system (debatable though: I didn't like both, but all in all I can't complain with both).
The quest system is so intertwined and yet simple that I honestly can't think of another game that goes that far, keeping it that solid.
Granted, there is the swamp area that drags longer than needed, but still, Vizima was a damn great experience, one TW2 never ever comes close to.

Also TW2 ending
was shite, come on.
I mean, the ending was fine per se, but its writing was utter crap, too rushed and anticlimatic.

zkylon

zkylewd
Mad Max is astounding O_O

i hope it's silly like madmax2, i was kind of rolling my eyes at how srs the trailer for the new one looked

I don't know why people hate the combat so much -- it's just rhythm/timing based action rpg stuff... it's not great, but it's not terrible. I managed it with a PGP profile and a DS3, so anyone who bitches about the combat is just factually incorrect.
yeah, it's weird. i like it, it's less action-y than witcha2 which i appreciate since i'm not very good at those kinds of games. i'd rather change stances than having to learn combos and stuff

Yeah, this.

I can't believe the hate TW1 gets sometimes, when I strongly think it's the better game with the worse combat system (debatable though: I didn't like both, but all in all I can't complain with both).
The quest system is so intertwined and yet simple that I honestly can't think of another game that goes that far, keeping it that solid.
Granted, there is the swamp area that drags longer than needed, but still, Vizima was a damn great experience, one TW2 never ever comes close to.

Also TW2 ending
was shite, come on.
I mean, the ending was fine per se, but its writing was utter crap, too rushed and anticlimatic.
yea i agree. personally i like witcha1 better because of the more "minimalistic" setting and because it's a bit more of a classic rpg, while witcha2 feels more like a mass effect game or something

both are really good tho, i liked the writing way more in witcha2 and how it didn't spell out everything for you and i think as a whole it had better characters and stuff

can't quite remember if i thought the ending was disappointing or not, but endings are not something that i care too much about tbh

Chariot

pls don't call geralt "gerald"
zgylon <3

you need to get out more ;)
I apparently can't even get things done in a video game. The real world is going to trash me. I rather stay in fort kickass. At least it's free from french people.

man maybe it's just me but I would have gotten another playthrough maybe like 4-6 months ago

but playing the whole thing this close to 3's release, knowing how massive that game is, would only guarantee that i'd get burnt out by it fast
After reading too much in the downgrade and the review thread I am kinda hype for Witcher 3 and couldn't hold me back. Especially given that I don't really know much about the world, even with summaries.

Mad Max is astounding O_O
I need to get my ass into the cinema. But I always invest too much money in torillas >_<

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Me and wife were actually going to see Mad Max yesterday but it was sold out so we had to see Ex Machina instead, blargh

Jadax

Are you playing Witcher 3 next week? If so just wait for that. If not just play 2. You don't really need 1.
if you're getting the witcher 3 just play the witcher 3
Probably not till the summer sale.

The correct answer is to play Witcher 2, skipping 1.

I actually watched a 3 hour "movie" version of 1 on youtube.

I'm watching a 6 hour movie version of 2 now, same path (Iorveth) as when I played it years ago.
Well if it's not necessary, I'm just going to skip it then.

first one is hard to get into these days but it's a really good game (in many aspects it's much better than 2) so i'd give it a shot?
Is that because of the mechanics/graphics or story? Or something else.

ill admit I never made it far into witcher 2 because when I built a new system few years ago my graphics card died after 4 days when I started. I took that as a bad omen not to play it when my card got replaced.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
ill admit I never made it far into witcher 2 because when I built a new system few years ago my graphics card died after 4 days when I started. I took that as a bad omen not to play it when my card got replaced.

My first GTX 460 actually caught fire while I was playing Witcher 2. It was during the fire segment in Act 2, so it was as though the game was reaching into this world and telling me to stop. It was funny because it was getting really hot in my room and I thought, you know, 'wow, it feels like I'm really there!' and then the card threw a hadouken out of the back of my case.

I was so gunshy after that, I didn't play anything more intense than Source Engine games for the rest of that year. I finished Witcher 2 on 360 ;-;

Chariot

My first GTX 460 actually caught fire while I was playing Witcher 2. It was during the fire segment in Act 2, so it was as though the game was reaching into this world and telling me to stop. It was funny because it was getting really hot in my room and I thought, you know, 'wow, it feels like I'm really there!' and then the card threw a hadouken out of the back of my case.

I was so gunshy after that, I didn't play anything more intense than Source Engine games for the rest of that year. I finished Witcher 2 on 360 ;-;
Holy fuck O_O
I am always scared that these things happen. Why isn't there a protection against burning, this seems to happen so often. Just remember London 1666.

zkylon

zkylewd
zgylon <3
Yeah, his name is Geraldo Riviera!
sigh

Is that because of the mechanics/graphics or story? Or something else.
well, many things, specially when you compare it to witcha2

* combat is def pretty weird for rpg standards, it's rythm-based which is strange and it's just not specially deep or exciting. i personally like it better than witcha2's, which is a lot more action oriented and feels a lot more "intense", but it's not for everyone.
* the story is alright, although it feels from a different era, like kotor times or something. instead of the whole cutscene-dialogue stuff we have today thanks to mass effect, it's more talking heads style. lots of awkward standing in place reusing animations. again, not necessarily terrible, but it's different
* it has a really slow start, tho i'd argue witcha2 also does that, as i could never get out of flotsam outside of my first playthrough. but the first chapter is long and a lot of people get tired of the game by then. i love that first chapter, but i can understand where the hate comes from

and yea, the graphics are kinda rough

i'd say give it a shot with those things in mind, it really does pay off to have played the first one when you play the sequel, feels really satisfying to have a background into the politics and all the characters of the world

Salsa

Why isn't there a protection against burning, this seems to happen so often.

there are?

many

most cards these days will underclock when too hot, have automatic fan curves, and ultimately will pull a BSOD before "catching on fire"

realistically it's kind of a non-thing. Anything under 100°C even is "safe"

Cheesecake's thing might have been voltage related, nothing to do with the card itself

Jadax

I tried it once, the fight system was somewhat annoying, even if presentation, story and characters were superb.
This might actually be an issue since more recent games try to make the combat easier.

Mechanics/graphics.
It ran on the Aurora engine (See: Bioware's Neverwinter Nights) and it... hasn't aged well
Ah well...that's..yeah. I played Neverwinter a lot back in the day, but I don't think I'd be able to play a game with those graphics anymore.

Alright so this is something I've heard a LOT.

8/10 people I ask about Witcher 2 say that it fucked their comp/graphics cards - I honestly just thought they were trolling, but if it's actually very graphics intensive even on medium settings then I'm not sure about it since I play on a laptop.

i'd say give it a shot with those things in mind, it really does pay off to have played the first one when you play the sequel, feels really satisfying to have a background into the politics and all the characters of the world
This is why I was considering playing it, so that I have the continuity. I can ofcourse just google everything, but I'd rather play through it and get more invested.

Chariot

there are?

many

most cards these days will underclock when too hot, have automatic fan curves, and ultimately will pull a BSOD before "catching on fire"
Maybe it's better now, I never had anything actually burn, my stuff usually just breaks peacefully. Just hear how here and there how comptuters burn like witches.

DocSeuss

Is there a quick way to re-adjust the decisions I made in The Witcher 2? Realized, with horror, that my last save is Pro Iorveth and that's just awful. I need my Roche save back.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Holy fuck O_O
I am always scared that these things happen. Why isn't there a protection against burning, this seems to happen so often. Just remember London 1666.

There are lots of protections against it! Salsa explained for me. It was pretty much a freak accident, I'm still not 100% sure how it happened.

Cheesecake's thing might have been voltage related, nothing to do with the card itself

That might be it, since I was rocking a Hiper Type-M 670w PSU at the time which was released in 2005-2006 if I remember correctly. I didn't play Witcher 2 until at least mid-2012, so it was pretty old by then.

This was the very last thing I saw before it went up in smoke.

The closest thing to that is I had a computer power supply catch fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom