• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

looks gorgeous to me, markedly less "foggy" and atmospheric than the old trailers and walkthroughs but still super pretty

Issue is that looks like PS4 version but it demands batter hardware. Also i didn't expect this from PC oriented studio. Yes game still looks good but CDPR disappointed me.

zkylon

zkylewd
Issue is that looks like PS4 version but it demands batter hardware. Also i didn't expect this from PC oriented studio. Yes game still looks good but CDPR disappointed me.
better hardware is probably cos 1080p 60 fps?

i really don't get why people have the need to have the pc version be "superior" to the console one

dex3108

better hardware is probably cos 1080p 60 fps?

i really don't get why people have the need to have the pc version be "superior" to the console one

PC hardware is already 2,3,5 times better than console hardware and this is year 2 of console cycle and we are still getting same visual experience on PC. That is just disappointing and doesn't make sense.

zkylon

zkylewd
PC hardware is already 2,3,5 times better than console hardware and this is year 2 of console cycle and we are still getting same visual experience on PC. That is just disappointing and doesn't make sense.
it does make sense, cdpr just didn't do extra work for the percentage of players that would notice the difference, provided they have the computer to run it, because that's probably not that many people which makes it not the greatest allocation of time and money

i can understand it being disappointing but you're still getting a really good looking game that you'll be able to play at a much better framerate and at a better resolution, and it's likely gonna be moddable too. it's probably even gonna get an enhanced edition in a year or two with dx12 or some shit i bet.

expecting cdpr to put all the extra work into making the pc version "superior" just for that small subset of people that care is pretty unrealistic methinks

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
it does make sense, cdpr just didn't do extra work for the percentage of players that would notice the difference, provided they have the computer to run it, because that's probably not that many people which makes it not the greatest allocation of time and money

i can understand it being disappointing but you're still getting a really good looking game that you'll be able to play at a much better framerate and at a better resolution, and it's likely gonna be moddable too. it's probably even gonna get an enhanced edition in a year or two with dx12 or some shit i bet.

expecting cdpr to put all the extra work into making the pc version "superior" just for that small subset of people that care is pretty unrealistic methinks

The crux of the issue for many comes from a video shown to the press flaunting a lot of tech that was drastically reduced or removed entirely from the game, and CDPR has been insisting that none of it has been removed or reduced at all. I've spoken up against their awful PR before and this is just another case where they could have avoided a lot of frustration leading up to launch if they didn't dangle the carrot up until the last minute.

For example, a video came out a day or two ago comparing a PC build with the release PS4 build. CDPR had it taken down because they claimed they didn't know what PC build it was. All of the new PC footage that has surfaced (somehow) is showing exactly what that video showed. They're also not supplying PC review sites with codes until the morning of launch or after launch day, which is another red flag. I don't particularly care about all that, but I have to admit I can see how that looks and sounds suspicious.

I don't find it unreasonable that enthusiasts would want a superior version with tech that takes advantage of higher end hardware on the PC end, especially since that's what CDPR claimed we'd get two years ago. They were, after all, one of the spearheads during Witcher 2's launch for the advantages and strengths of the PC platform. To each their own though!

Just uh, don't look in the downgrade thread. Really nothing but toxicity, torches and pitchforks. Kinda like a farmland mob.

XShagrath

I'm in agreement with zkylon. CDPR obviously planned this as multi-platform from the start, and didn't want to invest the man-hours to put in features that only a small percentage of their userbase would be able to benefit from.

I'm still running on a 3 year old card and am able to run most games at max settings, or at least something comparable to the current gen consoles. I'm just glad to be able to pay less for my games than I would to get a similar (or lesser) experience on a console.

He is Daniel Kaffee and CDPR is Nathan Jessup.

"I want the truth!"

"You can't handle the fact that there's already a designated thread for this discussion with a clear indicator that this sort of topic should be maintained within its confines exclusively!"

Y'all still getting upset over the Witcher downgrade. Meanwhile I just saw this and ordered myself a retail copy to go with my Steam version.

Although I can't seem to find that novella listed where I got it. Not sure if it's part of the package or an extra.

cyba89

I'm in the mood, to give away some spares. Maybe there is something you want.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gunpoint -- MB-B90F35A5D0ED91E3 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 1 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-A014B0E91D223835 - Taken by Cyldman. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-7A00DC3D37858AFB - Taken by Spirited. 1 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter -- MB-A8D372AE4A8CDF2F - Taken by pahamrick. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Serious Sam 3 -- MB-36CB956D83FB104E - Taken by Se7enSword. 2 entrants total.
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter -- MB-E60C0555CE55F95C - Taken by 7Sins. 1 entrants total.

t1431866157z1.png

dex3108

What exactly are you after with all this?

I just wanted to point out that difference in hardware power should be used better.

There are two issues in my opinion. First one is that we already saw better version of this game running so tech and assets were there. Why did they decided to change them we don't know but they existed and they could use it for PC version. Second issue is no matter how low profit was for W1 and W2 PC gamers raised CDPR with W1, W2 and GOG. Little appreciation for PC platform would be nice.

Also as i said before i will for sure play game and enjoy and so will many others because W3 is good game and it looks nice.

"You can't handle the fact that there's already a designated thread for this discussion with a clear indicator that this sort of topic should be maintained within its confines exclusively!"

Also on that note there is a dedicated anime thread.

Just saying.

I just wanted to point out that difference in hardware power should be used better.

Ok thanks for pointing that out, I hope we all take that to heart with the games we are currently producing.

zkylon

zkylewd
maybe someone should make an all the "ppl talk about things i don't like!!" complaining goes here thread

The crux of the issue for many comes from a video shown to the press flaunting a lot of tech that was drastically reduced or removed entirely from the game, and CDPR has been insisting that none of it has been removed or reduced at all. I've spoken up against their awful PR before and this is just another case where they could have avoided a lot of frustration leading up to launch if they didn't dangle the carrot up until the last minute.

For example, a video came out a day or two ago comparing a PC build with the release PS4 build. CDPR had it taken down because they claimed they didn't know what PC build it was. All of the new PC footage that has surfaced (somehow) is showing exactly what that video showed. They're also not supplying PC review sites with codes until the morning of launch or after launch day, which is another red flag. I don't particularly care about all that, but I have to admit I can see how that looks and sounds suspicious.

I don't find it unreasonable that enthusiasts would want a superior version with tech that takes advantage of higher end hardware on the PC end, especially since that's what CDPR claimed we'd get two years ago. They were, after all, one of the spearheads during Witcher 2's launch for the advantages and strengths of the PC platform. To each their own though!

Just uh, don't look in the downgrade thread. Really nothing but toxicity, torches and pitchforks. Kinda like a farmland mob.
i mean, sure, it's false advertising and feel free to call them out for that, developers themselves force these situations by (deliberately) not warning ppl that the in-development builds they use for demoing their games are probably gonna get chopped pretty hard as development moves on, specially since the final game looks amazing anyways, so there's not really that much need to oversell it when it looks so good anyways

everyone would be happy if they didn't overpromise but developers keep pushing graphics and ppl keep eating it all up so it never changes

I'm in agreement with zkylon. CDPR obviously planned this as multi-platform from the start, and didn't want to invest the man-hours to put in features that only a small percentage of their userbase would be able to benefit from.

I'm still running on a 3 year old card and am able to run most games at max settings, or at least something comparable to the current gen consoles. I'm just glad to be able to pay less for my games than I would to get a similar (or lesser) experience on a console.

like i keep saying, developers, pls downgrade as much as you can so i can run your games

downgrade your games all the way to ps2 era for all i care

There are two issues in my opinion. First one is that we already saw better version of this game running so tech and assets were there. Why did they decided to change them we don't know but they existed and they could use it for PC version. Second issue is no matter how low profit was for W1 and W2 PC gamers raised CDPR with W1, W2 and GOG. Little appreciation for PC platform would be nice.

Also as i said before i will for sure play game and enjoy and so will many others because W3 is good game and it looks nice.
i don't know, it's not like ppl supported cdpr with donations or whatever. they made good games and ppl bought them. "little appreciation" would be nice but i don't really think it should be expected

it's messed up that developers do false advertising so call them out on that if you want, but i don't really think cdpr "owe" pc gamers anything

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Without PC gamers there would be no Witcher 3 so yeah I do think we can feel a bit entitled. We put the team on our back and now they act like we didn't play carry for the last five years.

baterism

Hi guys
tZOS8.gif

Talking about Witcher 3 downgradeathlon, I see.
I kinda have feeling that CDPR will soon suffer what Valve experienced before, going so big they make their initial fanbase feel left out. I kinda understand why they opt-in to parity, and why some PC crowds feel betrayed.

So... hmm... RB2 pushed to June means I have no game planned. Just got betrayed by Sejong and Nebu on late immortal civ v game, kinda felt burned out, I'll get them later. Summer Sale is still month or two away. I'm bored, do something volvo.

dex3108

"I want the truth!"

I post some things here because some SteamGAF members doesn't want to visit Gaming section. I don;t want to create another W3 downgrade thread i just post interesting new info here.

zkylon

zkylewd
Without PC gamers there would be no Witcher 3 so yeah I do think we can feel a bit entitled. We put the team on our back and now they act like we didn't play carry for the last five years.

i own witcha1 boxed, on steam and on gog, so cdpr owes me fox ears for ciri

I post some things here because some SteamGAF members doesn't want to visit Gaming section. I don;t want to create another W3 downgrade thread i just post interesting new info here.
i think it's ok, ppl here care about that

it's just that my impression from watching those videos is "this is a beautiful game"

kind of the same that happened with watch dogs, really

dex3108

Also it is interesting to see that Social Club overlay in GTA V supports gamepad too. You can move mouse pointer with left analog. So Steam Big Picture is fully supported :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Make me wonder.

How many people own PC that is more powerful than ps4?

Is it more than ps4 itself?
I don't really care about the number of people who own a superior PC, I care about the fact that my PC is like 2-3 times more powerful than my ps4 and that other devs have respected that difference with their games.

dex3108

Make me wonder.

Only advantage that consoles have is 8GB of DDR5 unified memory. Everything else PC old few years beats without issue. Many are using i3 + 750Ti as benchmark and often that configuration beats consoles. So i would say there is significant number of people that own PC more powerful than PS4.

Well, at least there's going to be Star Citizen

and Ashes of Singularity I guess

I kinda have feeling that CDPR will soon suffer what Valve experienced before, going so big they make their initial fanbase feel left out. I kinda understand why they opt-in to parity, and why some PC crowds feel betrayed.

I don't think the two are comparable at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
Make me wonder.

probably not that many

i was looking at the steam survey thingie (store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey) but i don't really understand much about this crap

According to SteamSpy, only 1k bought Axiom Verge. Hope it did better on Playstation.

It was "successful" on day 1 on Playstation. It's made by one person so it doesn't have to sell huge amounts.

"Our initial goal was to make enough money with 'Axiom Verge' so that Tom could afford to keep making games on his own full time and not need to go back to a day job," Adelman said. "By 3 p.m. of the first day, we achieved that, so Tom will be making lots more games on his own from now on."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/07/axiom-verge-indie-sales-_n_6992678.html

baterism

Well, at least there's going to be Star Citizen

and Ashes of Singularity I guess

I don't think the two are comparable at all.

Of course not 1=1. Just a gist from me that the problem arise form that their plan is different with what some part of initial fanbase have in mind thus leading them to feel somehow betrayed (in Valve case, they pursue different route, everytime someone said Valve don't make game anymore, a dota player is having fun).
If HL3 released as multiplat and somehow PC ver look comparable or worse than console ver, I can't imagine the riot.

It was promoted very heavily on PS4. Worked for me buying it anyway and I'm glad I did.

On steam? It looks a little pricey at the moment but I'm sure it'll pick up over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom