• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Can anyone give me a recap of the last 10 days in PC gaming? Major announcements (I saw the London AC game got announced), any sweet sales or pricing errors I missed, any hot new indie commodities, if there were any client or service updates I should care about. I saw the GMG / Witcher 3 dispute. I also saw the Youkaa-laylee KS and the Bloodstained KS. I'm trying to get caught up.

You likely missed a misprice on Prince Caspian which was like $2 a few days ago.

Also Higurashi released, play it if you want to see a story build up into something that'll make you want to sleep with a night light from on ;P

So Bioshock Infinite maxed the fuck out looks incredible. Never got a chance to max it till now. Did like medium last time.

Playing Buried at Sea for the first time.

I've still got to pick that up at some point. I keep missing any sale on a game + pass bundle that may happen by not paying attention or just not having the money to get it

MadGear

So after the Igavania hype I have been looking at some games in that "genre" to play and noticed that I have never finished playing Dust: An Elysian Tail. It really didn't grab when I first tried it and sadly even after revisiting and finally finishing the game my opinion didn't change much: Its a really charming game that I desperately wanted to enjoy but with the repetitive and unchallenging combat system I really could not do so. It is kind of odd because at first (played it on though until chapter 3 or 4) the game felt challenging but after understanding the mechanic and building a couple of items fighting these hordes of now nonthreatening enemies felt as tedious as fighting the clone armies of a Dynasty Warriors game. The characters in this game are all likeable but just as uninteresting as the story itself. It is really impressive that this game was made by one guy but it just did not appeal to me.

I completed FFIV After Years, but the game crashes every single time during the ending cutscene, where
Ceodore and Kain are leaving on the airship
I did it two times, and the game always crashes here, I think it's a problem of the game itself :S
EDIT: Well, I watched it on Youtube, and figured out only TEN seconds were missing. Fuck SE and their awful ports.
Also I noticed on YT there's a section with
Golbez
not present on PC version.

Did you still end up enjoying it though? After your first comments I was sure that you hated this game but since this one seems to be a 30h+ game I'm actually surprised that you still finished it despite your initial complaints.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
seems like we need....

A Bar Graph!
tumblr_kt9ni1mrcF1qaqcd3o1_500.jpg

It says available on the 18th for me. If the coutdown goes to 24h once it reaches midnight in a couple of mins, then that's basically 18th midnight/ 00:00 19th.

zkylon

zkylewd
I rate prison architect very highly. If you are at all interested in a sim style game, it is an easy pickup.

It is also still actively updated and it is due to be "released" soon.
if you have some weird fear about managing a bunch of inmates. otherwise no, it's a good game in my opinion.
i was really into theme hospital on ps1 back in the day and been wanting something like that for a while now

what turns me off about prison architect is that i feel like it's really serious and i kind of felt defcon make me feel really bad when playing it so i'm not 100% sure it's aesthetically something i'll enjoy

like, goofiness is something i've come to expect from the sim genre, even if some games are super srs it's what i like

Chariot

wait ... what? it isn't? I'm confused ...
Oh how far the proud winged riders have fallen.

That sounded mean :(
i watched that CG trailer and didnt notice it was en european trailer. besides, i'm not even american.
Oh, I didn't mean to offend you. It was more a jab to these french loving americans and the fact that a lot of things in our world are centered around the states and the toruble some americans seem to have to recognize souveran states as such.

Oh how far the proud winged riders have fallen.

Oh, I didn't mean to offend you. It was more a jab to these french loving americans and the fact that a lot of things in our world are centered around the states and the toruble some americans seem to have to recognize souveran states as such.
nah, i get it, and i know that's true. thanks for clarifying :)

Kaleinc

Banned
So after the Igavania hype I have been looking at some games in that "genre" to play and noticed that I have never finished playing Dust: An Elysian Tail. It really didn't grab when I first tried it and sadly even after revisiting and finally finishing the game my opinion didn't change much: Its a really charming game that I desperately wanted to enjoy but with the repetitive and unchallenging combat system I really could not do so. It is kind of odd because at first (played it on though until chapter 3 or 4) the game felt challenging but after understanding the mechanic and building a couple of items fighting these hordes of now nonthreatening enemies felt as tedious as fighting the clone armies of a Dynasty Warriors game. The characters in this game are all likeable but just as uninteresting as the story itself. It is really impressive that this game was made by one guy but it just did not appeal to me.
Combat plainly speaking is reduced to air spinning atack with any of fullscreen special effect, doesn't matter wich one. Meter is recharged superfast so all you do is spam same 2 moves, no challenge no nothing. The game overall was pretty meh and voice acting just annoying. I was surprised Dust was treated like almost goty material by many.

i was really into theme hospital on ps1 back in the day and been wanting something like that for a while now

what turns me off about prison architect is that i feel like it's really serious and i kind of felt defcon make me feel really bad when playing it so i'm not 100% sure it's aesthetically something i'll enjoy

like, goofiness is something i've come to expect from the sim genre, even if some games are super srs it's what i like

It isn't a serious game, beyond the opening cutscene which feels really out of place. Just about all the inmates are created by people with amusing back stories for instance and it certainly isn't realistic in its depiction of prison life.

So I feel it would fit what you are after.

Dsyndrome

Did Turok and Turok 2 come out on PC? Noticed them when searching through Night Dive Studios / Retroism forum post on GOG. Either way, they're wishlisted now, so maybe I can play them sometime in the next ten years. Might make they're way to Steam too, I suppose.

Did Turok and Turok 2 come out on PC? Noticed them when searching through Night Dive Studios / Retroism forum post on GOG. Either way, they're wishlisted now, so maybe I can play them sometime in the next ten years. Might make they're way to Steam too, I suppose.

Yep, though I think that they are hard to find.

I suspected it was coming either way, but I can't help but think they read gaf. Still won't buy it.

RATVIRGIN FOR LIFE!

@ Turok series:

Turok 1, 2, and Evolution all have PC versions. Odd ones out are Turok 3 and Rage Wars. If Disney wanted to get on my good side, they would just have to release a Turok anthology and all would be forgiven right there. They haven't yet, so they suck. My logic is invincible!

tumblr_inline_no3i6ttdb61qkg461_540.jpg

Other games that should be available but aren't:
Freelancer (duh)
Aliens versus Predator 2
Elite Force series

zkylon

zkylewd
It isn't a serious game, beyond the opening cutscene which feels really out of place. Just about all the inmates are created by people with amusing back stories for instance and it certainly isn't realistic in its depiction of prison life.

So I feel it would fit what you are after.
It's really fun. Good strat/sim game. Pretty light hearted and challenging.
cool, light hearted sounds great

steam not letting me put it in my cart for some reason, tho

edit: can't add anything for that matter

wtf

nice

get mads mikelsen as geralt pls

i want him

MadGear

Combat plainly speaking is reduced to air spinning atack with any of fullscreen special effect, doesn't matter wich one. Meter is recharged superfast so all you do is spam same 2 moves, no challenge no nothing. The game overall was pretty meh and voice acting just annoying. I was surprised Dust was treated like almost goty material by many.

Glad I'm not the only one that things so because I'm genuinely surprised by the very positive reception of this game on steam. But you are right all I did was to throw one of Fidgets projectiles, do a Dust Storm, throw in a couple of normals to recharge Fidgets meter and restart the sequence. Sadly even bosses are absolutely boring to fight as well. I'm usually also really into counter attacking but with the exception of bigger enemies there is little point to that mechanic in this game because most of the time I'm flying around the screen like crazy and regular enemies are staggered indefinitely anyway.
I didn't mind the voice acting as much though because this is something i can accept in low budget games.

[...] I was complaining because the issues I stated are real, a fact. The game is too focused on recycling every possible element from its prequel, I liked it but I can't suggest other players to play it, it wouldn't be honest. Or if you want to play it, play PSP version that comes with full content, cut in iOS version.

I wasn't questioning your complaints but just interested in your opinion on this game because I would love to get FF4 in an upcoming sale an was wondering if I should pick up the bundle or just get FF4 itself. Thanks to you I'm pretty sure that I will be fine with just FF4, at least at first but tbh I don't expect to enjoy it so much that I would want more of the same game.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok chrome was being weird, or steam, or something

was letting me add it to my cart if i was logged off my account on chrome, but it let me buy it on my account with firefox so i dunno what happened

chrome's still not letting me add games to my cart

wtf steam

Asgaro

wait... are you guys using SSDs even for all your Steam games and Media stuff? :O
I need to replaced my failing WD Black 640GB HDD (sooooon... backed up everything) and WD Green 1TB HDD

I don't even use a filthy casual HDD anymore, except for my external drives.

Desktop:
- 1x 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD
- 1x 512 GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD

Laptop:
- 2x 128 GB SSD in RAID-0 configuration

Some remarks:
- You mention media stuff: I have a bit of media on that 500 GB SSD. But most of the time I put my media on external drives.

- I don't install games for the sake of installing. For me, it's mostly "beat
my meat
and delete". So I haven't had any space issues so far.

- I'm still on Windows 7 64-bits SP1. People always say Windows 8 makes a BIG difference in start-up time.
Well, I can say my Win 7 OS is very fast, thank you.
Those few seconds I would win wouldn't make up for the fact I would have to use a stitched together OS that has an identity crisis. :p (2 totally different interfaces in 1)
Also, I LOVE Aero Glass.
I'm glad Windows 10 will bring back blur effects instead of Windows 95 retro "art". That OS will win me over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom