• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Still better than snobby wormbrows.

You should put sugar on your tea darling, not salt.
iU3p60grxF9LM.gif

She's at worst the Far Cry of mainstream pop.
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. (Which is probably the weakest Harvest Moon game)

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Actually, salt goes great in green tea and coffee. It helps cut the bitterness so you don't have to put as much or any sugar or cream.

Parsnip

The last section including the final boss is much harder than the rest and a lot of people in the OT agree. Did you collect all upgrades and weapons, because I'm missing some?

edit: And done but it was pure luck, I just got more health orbs than during the tries before. The bosses in general were imo the weak point of the game, either stand in one safe spot or just hope you can take more damage.

Didn't collect everything. I think I'm missing two weapons, some orbs and a bunch of text entries.
For the last boss I used the inertial pulse weapon and just concentrated my fire on the main thing, and because it would punch through the other targets it would kill a bunch of them in the process. Beat it on second try.

But yeah, bosses were the weakest link in the game. Best boss for me was actually the first boss, not challenging but engaging, forcing me to move and such.

That's better than coming off as a bitch.

Nvidia has locked me up as a customer for the foreseeable future.

I just do not get why Nvidia is doing that. I mean I get it, but I remember AMD made their hair-PhysX thingy free for everyone.
So why wont Nvidia release the code for their Gameworks engine so the devs could fix problems on AMD cards.

Derp

I just do not get why Nvidia is doing that. I mean I get it, but I remember AMD made their hair-PhysX thingy free for everyone.
So why wont Nvidia release the code for their Gameworks engine so the devs could fix problems on AMD cards.
Because they're a business? Because competition? Because money?

Disney doesn't have the rights to turok at all now. So Night Dive is theory could get the rights to all three easier than a lot of other stuff out there. Disney had the property rights for their 2008 game, but that fell out. So that one is lost to ever being rereleased, unless the current disney team working on games does something about it. But considering they seem to only be bothering with stuff based on Disney IPs seems like a long shot.

this whole 'rights' thing is screwy. Every time. :(

Because they're a business? Because competition? Because money?

It's not competition, they're just tilting the playing field in their favour. It's not good for PC gaming because we're starting to see console-like exclusivity based off of what GPU you have installed. Also Nvidia doesn't necessarily make better hardware, they just make the competition's perform a bit worse because they obfuscate things like shader code from both AMD as well as developers with things like Gameworks.

Some impressions for Runaway: A Road Adventure:

The story: You play Brian Basco, a grad student from New York (accent-free) in the year 2000, all set to take a trip to Berkeley in California to start a Ph.D. in physics. On the way, you hit a girl with your car. You soon learn that she's in trouble with the mob, setting off a chain of events and a mystery surrounding a Hopi Indian artefact.

The story's interesting, but it's told in sort of a flashback style, with a future Brian narrating the events of the past (which you re-enact.) The only thing is, the Brian you play is identifiable and even pretty likeable, but the narrating Brian comes off as kind of a douchebag. I think it was meant to show his transition over the adventure from "nerdy guy" to "cool guy," but they may have overdone it a bit.

The voices and dialogue: For a game originally in Spanish, the dialogue is surprisingly good. There's only a couple of weird interchanges. There was only one jarring bit, and that was repeating certain plot points - good if you don't play the game in one sitting, otherwise it gets annoying. When the protagonist explains "And the X I've been holding all along was really a Y to do Z!" four or five times, you can't help but get irritated.

The voices were done well. And hey, you get Jon St. John in the mix (but no, he's not the main character.) Some good emotion is conveyed. My favourite part came around the middle after you had to jump through several hoops to get a certain item. You can actually hear him say through gritted teeth that the item "is FINALLY MINE," all the relief and frustration coming out. So yes, good attention to detail and/or voice direction.

The graphics: Pretty good. For a game that was released in 2003, it still holds up okay. It's got a cartoony style that's kinda similar to Broken Sword, only the characters' features are more exaggerated. It's not Daedalic good, but it's not like they purposely went retro either.

The music and sound: Lots of tracks, a few catchy tunes. Even went with the bold choice of getting a singer to do the theme song. She does okay but has a pretty noticeable accent.

The gameplay: Yeah, I was saving this for the end. You might ask yourself, "Okay, it's got a good story, good dialogue, good voices, good graphics, good music...what's the problem?"

PIXEL HUNT AS FUCK. That's the problem. That, and a few red herring items you never use, and the fact that you might know exactly what to do with something but just like Phoenix Wright, you might have to suss it out a bit more by getting the right dialogue first to explain that NOW you need to do this.

But back to the pixel hunt. Not ashamed to say I needed a walkthrough for this. In a storeroom, I picked up two things and went back, finding I couldn't proceed. Checking a walkthrough, I found I'd missed THREE other things in that storeroom. The room was dark so it did that whole dark blue thing that games do? Anyway, I missed a small piece of white sheet sticking out of a cabinet (that one's on me.) I also missed a dark brown can on the blue shelf (I'd say that's about 50-50 blame there.) And then I missed the fact that one of the boxes, identical to all the other boxes that told me nothing was in them, in fact held an item and it was REALLY tough to click on it - that was pure BS and I don't know how they could have expected anyone to find it. If this was released pre-internet, I don't see how anyone could have got past chapter 1 without a fluke click or a hint book. Yes, making all the items look like part of the background makes it more realistic but it makes for a hell of a bad conveyance in a point and click.

The verdict: How could a game that did everything else well fuck up the gameplay that badly? All I can say is, if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind using a walkthrough, then keep it alt-tabbed, refer to it when you must, and enjoy the story. If you're the kind who abhors them, then stay away from this one.

It's become even more of a cesspool of idiocy than what it was before my vacation...

Mouth breathers discussing a hypothetical Nintendo Vs. Capcom, window lickers creating full threads for "can i use my DS4 on pc?" ... I couldn't even stay over there long enough to get a third example.

It's become even more of a cesspool of idiocy than what it was before my vacation...

Mouth breathers discussing a hypothetical Nintendo Vs. Capcom, window lickers creating full threads for "can i use my DS4 on pc?" ... I couldn't even stay over there long enough to get a third example.
I get what you mean.
Inquisition's main strength is abandoning the shitty traversal and battle system of Origins, plus the better lore. The sooner traditional CRPG systems die, the better.

Teeth

To be honest, there's definitely a variety of ways to do it, and it's not exactly clear which way is best. There's enough discussion going on in there that there is no definitive way to do it yet. Each method has pluses and minuses.

And what other thread would someone post that in?

Miguel81

It seems a lot of those have been popping up in the last few months. People really need to start using the search function.

To be honest, there's definitely a variety of ways to do it, and it's not exactly clear which way is best. There's enough discussion going on in there that there is no definitive way to do it yet. Each method has pluses and minuses.

And what other thread would someone post that in?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=using+a+dualshock+4+on+pc

Or even better...

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=using+a+dualshock+4+on+pc+neogaf+site:www.neogaf.com&hl=en

Nabs

I like the DS4/PC threads because so many people still use DS4Tool for some reason. It's good to get fresh info out there regularly.

Just check the Witcher 3 Downgrade Thread.

ehead

Sega's games tend to have a variety of region-specific retail subs. In Alien Isolation's case:

- South America
- Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Brunei Darussalam
- Thailand, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, India
- Turkey
- Eastern Europe

FlyVPN's free servers should cover most if not all of the above. Note that you need to restart Steam for your region to change.

Edit: Also, none of the subs are region-locked at the runtime level, so once the key has been activated you can ditch the VPN.

Thanks JaseC! Will try later after work, I'll also see if HB replies. They could at least change or add these region details in their store page.

Teeth

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=UnxZVdTZIMemyATAv4HoCw

or this

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Witc...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=e3xZVZWSDIewyASttIHoCA

Basically, searching for stuff in google will give you the answer, but it won't give the context. It won't have people debate about the pros and cons to any given solution or out-of-the-box ideas. It doesn't allow you to have follow up questions to nail down the answer and it doesn't tell you how stuff works in real-world test cases.

Y' know, what a forum is for.

Basically, searching for stuff in google will give you the answer, but it won't give the context. It won't have people debate about the pros and cons to any given solution or out-of-the-box ideas. It doesn't allow you to have follow up questions to nail down the answer and it doesn't tell you how stuff works in real-world test cases.

Y' know, what a forum is for.

And the OPs questions in the thread I'm talking about? They've been answered before. Countless times. Starting a new thread to ask the same thing someone asked a few months ago because you're too lazy to search and do your research classifies you as a mouth breathing window licker.

And you know what? Not only have topics like the one I'm talking about been created on other forums and are thus find-able through internet searches, the point of the second link I posted is that it's been more than covered here at neogaf.

But, y'know, if that's what you like to dicuss and consider it worth your time, by all means, go spend your time posting there.

Teeth

And the OPs questions in the thread I'm talking about? They've been answered before. Countless times. Starting a new thread to ask the same thing someone asked a few months ago because you're too lazy to search and do your research classifies you as a mouth breathing window licker.

And you know what? Not only have topics like the one I'm talking about been created on other forums and are thus find-able through internet searches, the point of the second link I posted is that it's been more than covered here at neogaf.

But, y'know, if that's what you like to dicuss and consider it worth your time, by all means, go spend your time posting there.

The distinction is: the landscape for the PS4 driver stuff is changing. It's constantly developing. What was true 3 months ago, isn't necessarily true today. But I'm sure you can find GAF threads on it from last month or last week, but the fact is, this stuff constantly changes and you don't know when it has changed. The developer of what was previously considered the best solution could have started to pack in invisible Chinese key loggers or there could be a new experimental branch that allows for custom key mapping based off the game .exe that is launched. They could have come out yesterday but only a few people know about it or nothing could have changed at all. But you won't know until you know.

Also, the really sweet part of a forum is that when there's threads on anime, pop, MOBAs, DS4PC, graphics downgrades and everything in between, if you don't like it, you don't have to click on it. Or you can and fuel your ever growing desire to come back here and constantly bitch and moan about what people post at every possible occasion.

Also, the really sweet part of a forum is that when there's threads on anime, pop, MOBAs, DS4PC, graphics downgrades and everything in between, if you don't like it, you don't have to click on it. Or you can and fuel your ever growing desire to come back here and constantly bitch and moan about what people post at every possible occasion.

I haven't been very happy with the general direction GAF is going lately but thankfully that is true.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks JaseC! Will try later after work, I'll also see if HB replies. They could at least change or add these region details in their store page.

If you want, you can PM me the key and I'll check to see which region it's tied to. I already own the game, but the "purchase" restriction will kick in before the licence check.

Knurek

Anything I should know about using HDMI with PCs?
My current ghetto setup only has VGA input, but my new monitor will only have DP and HDMI, while my 750 TI has only VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs...
I heard a few games have problems when played over HDMI, Crysis 2 something something.
Anything else I need to take into consideration?

Teeth

Anything I should know about using HDMI with PCs?
My current ghetto setup only has VGA input, but my new monitor will only have DP and HDMI, while my 750 TI has only VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs...
I heard a few games have problems when played over HDMI, Crysis 2 something something.
Anything else I need to take into consideration?

DVI and HDMI are literally pin compatible (they run the exact same lines but in a different physical configuration), but HDMI has additional connections to pass sound. It would be weird to have issues with an HDMI connection but not a DVI connection as long as you specify your operating system to not use the HDMI to pass sound (unless you want to use your monitor's speakers).

I'm going HDMI to DVI right now and I haven't experienced any issues (at 1080p) and I just played Crysis 2 a couple of months ago.

Chariot

Just finished Witcher 2.

Vernon Roche is the best.

Zoltan Chivay is second best.

Iorveth sucks.

Henselt
had it coming.
Aye!

I was cool with Henselt for the first part of chapter 2. He wasn't King Cool, but he was reasonable. And then he pulled that shit with the Blue Stripes and Ves and then I had no trouble to leave him and Roche alone. Fuck that rapist.

Khronico

Aye!

I was cool with Henselt for the first part of chapter 2. He wasn't King Cool, but he was reasonable. And then he pulled that shit with the Blue Stripes and Ves and then I had no trouble to leave him and Roche alone. Fuck that rapist.

Yeah I was down with Henselt too until that Blue Stripes and Ves thing, dude was asking to be stabbed, I don't regret offing him

Also, when
Vernon Roche
killed
Deathmold
I physically recoiled. Dude was horrible but man, what a way to go.

Vergen tho

Ioreth path, best path.

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't believe how off my Witcher 3 countdown image was. What a bummer.

Speaking of which, the game is still set to unlock an hour early on Steam. Fingers crossed that CDPR leaves the time alone, although since the PC perf. thread is already up I'll probably decide against getting up at 6am.

zkylon

zkylewd
i tried to do a second playthrough of witcha2 with the roche path but going with revolutionary guys and dwarves and dragon lady is so much cooler than going with like lame evil empire dudes

i feel like if i did a recap playthrough of witcha2 i'd prolly still pick iorveth

also dandelion is also the best

dunno if first second or whatever, but he's up there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom