• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though Aiden Pearce has all the personality of a jar of mayonnaise, I kinda like Watch_Dogs. I don't really like Assassin's Creed (played 8 hours of 1, 2 and 3) and I haven't been able to get into the Ubi Far Cry's but I dig Watch_Dogs. I don't get it myself, all three series have the same underlying fundamental design for their open worlds. I think a big part of it is Splinter Cell Blacklists cover/stealth systems and even if it is kinda lazy, the one button hacking. I like the gang hideout side missions, go into an area, use the cameras to tag all of the hostiles and just take them out one by one. I'm not even really completing the main missions at this point, just screwing around with all of the side missions.

When they announce the sequel at this E3, I just hope they make opting out of the online a little less obnoxious. Let me opt and just play single player. GTA is nice enough to not to jam the online in my face all the time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even though Aiden Pearce has all the personality of a jar of mayonnaise, I kinda like Watch_Dogs. I don't really like Assassin's Creed (played 8 hours of 1, 2 and 3) and I haven't been able to get into the Ubi Far Cry's but I dig Watch_Dogs. I don't get it myself, all three series have the same underlying fundamental design for their open worlds. I think a big part of it is Splinter Cell Blacklists cover/stealth systems and even if it is kinda lazy, the one button hacking. I like the gang hideout side missions, go into an area, use the cameras to tag all of the hostiles and just take them out one by one. I'm not even really completing the main missions at this point, just screwing around with all of the side missions.

When they announce the sequel at this E3, I just hope they make opting out of the online a little less obnoxious. Let me opt and just play single player. GTA is nice enough to not to jam the online in my face all the time.

Watch Dogs had me worried that Unity's online component would be set up similarly, so I was immensely relieved when Ubi confirmed that the latter's co-op missions can be played solo. Women's March was a huge pain in the arse, though.

mrgone

Fun tip, if you download the demo version of the game, all of the sound effects and music are stored as basic OGG files and make some kick ass notification tones on a phone

Sweet! I've been lamenting that they converted the audio data to another before I'd copied it shortly after the game was first released. I didn't even consider that they'd not "fix" the demo :)

Milamber

Oh my gahd! I just realized that I never met the Herbalist in White Orchid. Her door stays permanently closed. Maybe it's because I came across that shrine first covered in ghouls.

Miguel81

Though I did enjoy the main campaign(and online hacking), Aiden Pierce was truly unlikeable. The T-Bone DLC made me wish they had used him as a main character.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh my gahd! I just realized that I never met the Herbalist in White Orchid. Her door stays permanently closed. Maybe it's because I came across that shrine first covered in ghouls.

Delete the game and go back to Sexy Beach.
e1eb46049a.gif

Miguel81

Some juniors in that Nvidia/AMD thread that are wondering why they can't vote. It's not surprising at all how it turned out, only have to look at that Steam chart that was posted on there.

JaseC

Anyone else having trouble with Axiom Verge? An update was refusing to download and now I can't install the game at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
some parts of la-mulana are definitely bullshit

at this point i'm like giving up pretty quick on some puzzles that make absolutely no sense and feel like developers are just trolling you

like in dark souls it makes more sense because it's like usually only for side stuff like covenants or secret weapons and stuff, but here it's like base progression and shit is super hidden sometimes by things that you can't possible tell unless you trial and error like an insane person lol

i really hope ubi takes makes watch dogs 2 a farcry2 rather than an ass creed 2

as in adding more interesting emergent gameplay systems (weapon jamming, fire, injuries), than just streamline everything for the rollercoaster ride (ass creed missions being super scripted)

Miguel81

some parts of la-mulana are definitely bullshit

at this point i'm like giving up pretty quick on some puzzles that make absolutely no sense and feel like developers are just trolling you

like in dark souls it makes more sense because it's like usually only for side stuff like covenants or secret weapons and stuff, but here it's like base progression and shit is super hidden sometimes by things that you can't possible tell unless you trial and error like an insane person lol

Is it possible to get through without a guide? Some gaffers have stated that it's like a requirement. I'll be giving it a try after Shovel Knight, and don't know what to expect exactly, though it seems like I'll have a rough time.

JaseC

Clint Hocking being involved with L4D3 early on has me a little hopeful that the game is going to have some sort of proper SP component.

tmarg

Is it possible to get through without a guide? Some gaffers have stated that it's like a requirement. I'll be giving it a try after Shovel Knight, and don't know what to expect exactly, though it seems like I'll have a rough time.

I think it's possible, but the obscure clues you need to figure stuff out can be hidden on the complete opposite side of the map, or require you to do things you'd never think of trying because they completely go against decades worth of gaming conventions.

The game is insane. I managed to make it through the first 4 or so areas without a guide, but after that I just had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I used a guide to do a bit more, but then realized that wasn't really a satisfying way to go about things. I want to go back to it at some point, but I just don't have the time necessary at the moment.

zkylon

zkylewd
to be honest, no, you really need to use a guide for stuff

la-mulana is awesome but also it's a really 'evil' game lol

this is a very common scenario in la-mulana: you hit a wall a bunch of times in one room (just a random nondescript wall, because in la-mulana you. hit. every. wall.) you hear a "puzzle solved sound". you then walk the entire dungeon again (they're pretty small but still) and found that maybe a very much unrelated chest somewhere has opened

the thing is, it's still really enjoyable because of the joy of constantly be finding secrets and solving puzzles. some puzzles are actual puzzles that you have to think, but most are like "hey, the skeletons monsters in this room are red, maybe something will happen if i kill them all?". you do and puzzle solved and then it's like I WONDER WHAT MY PRIZE IS moment and it's usually some metroid thing of NOW YOU CAN ACCESS THAT LEDGE THAT WAS TAUNTING YOU FOR HOURS metroid moment

and there's like a shit ton of items to metroid about (and they show on your dude on the right!)

M4ylWRs.jpg

but like, this is not fez, you're not being super clever by solving these puzzles, and often times puzzles are impossible to figure out because they involve going to some completely unrelated area in the other side of the world that you just can't possibly realize on your own

then there's the boss part and the whole dark souls aspect to it of running back to the boss and having limited healing during dungeons and generally the game being kind of hard. i enjoy that since i love dark souls but u know, not for everyone

i found this very nice guide on steam that has like spoilertagged hints that start out really vague and get more detailed if you keep going. i also use this guide if i'm lost about where i should be going

the way i'm using the guides is just play until i don't know where else to go in a dungeon and then check the steam hints guide to get unstuck. if i don't know where to go i check the other guide since that's like super specific with like "go here and get this". i use them both a lot since seriously, some of these "puzzles" are like, whatever

i really want to play la-mulana 2 tho, i wish i had backed it. i hope it's a bit more reasonable. i think at least being able to access most of the main content without constantly consulting a guide would be nice

Miguel81

I think it's possible, but the obscure clues you need to figure stuff out can be hidden on the complete opposite side of the map, or require you to do things you'd never think of trying because they completely go against decades worth of gaming conventions.

The game is insane. I managed to make it through the first 4 or so areas without a guide, but after that I just had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I used a guide to do a bit more, but then realized that wasn't really a satisfying way to go about things. I want to go back to it at some point, but I just don't have the time necessary at the moment.

Thank you for the response. It's seems like something that I will have to experience first-hand to see if I can luck out or need help. The most puzzling game I have played was Laura Bow II The Dagger of Amon Ra.

to be honest, no, you really need to use a guide for stuff

la-mulana is awesome but also it's a really 'evil' game lol

this is a very common scenario in la-mulana: you hit a wall a bunch of times in one room (just a random nondescript wall, because in la-mulana you. hit. every. wall.) you hear a "puzzle solved sound". you then walk the entire dungeon again (they're pretty small but still) and found that maybe a very much unrelated chest somewhere has opened

the thing is, it's still really enjoyable because of the joy of constantly be finding secrets and solving puzzles. some puzzles are actual puzzles that you have to think, but most are like "hey, the skeletons monsters in this room are red, maybe something will happen if i kill them all?". you do and puzzle solved and then it's like I WONDER WHAT MY PRIZE IS moment and it's usually some metroid thing of NOW YOU CAN ACCESS THAT LEDGE THAT WAS TAUNTING YOU FOR HOURS metroid moment

and there's like a shit ton of items to metroid about (and they show on your dude on the right!)

http://i.imgur.com/M4ylWRs.jpg[IMG]

but like, this is not fez, you're not being super clever by solving these puzzles, and often times puzzles are impossible to figure out because they involve going to some completely unrelated area in the other side of the world that you just can't possibly realize on your own

then there's the boss part and the whole dark souls aspect to it of running back to the boss and having limited healing during dungeons and generally the game being kind of hard. i enjoy that since i love dark souls but u know, not for everyone

i found this very nice [URL="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377234096&insideModal=1"]guide[/URL] on steam that has like spoilertagged hints that start out really vague and get more detailed if you keep going. i also use [URL="http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/972053-la-mulana/faqs/65127"]this guide [/URL]if i'm lost about where i should be going

the way i'm using the guides is just play until i don't know where else to go in a dungeon and then check the steam hints guide to get unstuck. if i don't know where to go i check the other guide since that's like super specific with like "go here and get this". i use them both a lot since seriously, some of these "puzzles" are like, whatever

i really want to play la-mulana 2 tho, i wish i had backed it. i hope it's a bit more reasonable. i think at least being able to access most of the main content without constantly consulting a guide would be nice[/QUOTE]

It seems really daunting. I'm not averse to using a guide if the game is like this since frustration isn't worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah that was pretty much it for me, the first few areas i got through without guides, but as the game goes along i'm having to use them more and more because some stuff is just messed up

i'm still enjoying it but yeah, i wish it was a bit less obtuse

It seems really daunting. I'm not averse to using a guide if the game is like this since frustration isn't worth it.

i wouldn't call it "frustrating", but you're essentially completely lost if you don't use a guide

it's not like an optional thing, the game was built so that people would have to check up on a guide because the puzzles were obviously designed to be super obtuse for players to have to figure them out as a community

in fact i feel like dark souls might've taken many inspirations from this game

Miguel81

i wouldn't call it "frustrating", but you're essentially completely lost if you don't use a guide

it's not like an optional thing, the game was built so that people would have to check up on a guide because the puzzles were obviously designed to be super obtuse for players to have to figure them out as a community

in fact i feel like dark souls might've taken many inspirations from this game

I just get frustrated when stuck for a length of time(without guide). I should go in with the mindset of the old King's Field(1&2) games and Dark Souls. Those I have played through, and they require a bit of "out of the box" thinking. Thanks for your responses, and I'll be looking forward to La-Mulana to finally experience it for myself.

zkylon

zkylewd
Malaria pills here!
lol

I just get frustrated when stuck for a length of time(without guide). I should go in with the mindset of the old King's Field(1&2) games and Dark Souls. Those I have played through, and they require a bit of "out of the box" thinking. Thanks for your responses, and I'll be looking forward to La-Mulana to finally experience it for myself.
i mean, even if you don't beat the game and quit mid-way through when you find yourself in need of a guide you'll still enjoy it a lot, it's a super cool game

I'm not judging.

shut up

abracadaver

What is the best way to prevent savegame loss?

I just started Castlevania LoS and my savegame was gone. After quitting the game Steam immediately uploads my new empty savegame to the cloud ... overwriting my old save in the cloud ...

This happened with quite a few games already and it sucks.

JaseC

What is the best way to prevent savegame loss?

I just started Castlevania LoS and my savegame was gone. After quitting the game Steam immediately uploads my new empty savegame to the cloud ... overwriting my old save in the cloud ...

This happened with quite a few games already and it sucks.

Back it up before quitting the game.

JaseC

Don't some games create their own folders in my documents?

Yeah. A few even take up space in AppData for some asinine reason.

isn't this (http://www.gamesave-manager.com/) + dropbox like something ppl do?

Yeah, but if you're worried about a game playing silly buggers with your save upon exit, it's easier to just do it manually. You wouldn't save any time by loading up GSM, having it scan your games and then selecting just the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom