• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Thread of the day: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1039477

Steam users are not obligated to have Steamworks features, it's up to the devs. Like, we are neither obligated to get summer sales, but we get them.

says who? It's called not caring about PC gamers or punishing them for sticking with PC. Yes, it's up to devs, it doesn't mean that we should be content or happy about being denied things. Yes, I want every game to have cloud saves, because it suits me and I want games to have achievements because I buy the same game and I don't like to be punished for my choices and I want cards for reasons. Devs can deny me all that but they can't expect me to play (or buy) their games after taking such stance.
We are totally entitled, because we pay.

Jawmuncher

When it comes to big publishers I'll never understand why their stuff won't have cards or achievements. Uplay and stuff I get since they don't want to add even more reason to ignore their platform. But something like Wolfenstein having no cards or backgrounds is odd. Especially when you can make them all without nazi imagery if you're worried about Germany.

Are we treating achievements like clean water again? I'll be back later then.

I don't understand what this means. Wouldn't people want clean water? Regardless as I said above my stance is just on the bigger devs. If you have a version with achievements on consoles. Pretty sure that means you have the resources to do so on PC. Not asking for everything to have it though. No reason to force it to that extreme. I don't even bother with achievements in games, but I always see it as a oddity when PC doesn't but consoles do.

I'll take getting a game at all with no achievements/cards over nothing at the end of the day though.

And it's a steam feature that should be on the game if they support it in other platforms.

"should" devs dont have to add any steam feature to begin with tbh. if you don't like it you don't buy it, but one would expect consumers would have more reasonable things to be angry about.

yep i feel im too immersed into the interwebs right now, i think im gonna go outside.

yuraya

When it comes to big publishers I'll never understand why their stuff won't have cards or achievements. Uplay and stuff I get since they don't want to add even more reason to ignore their platform. But something like Wolfenstein having no cards or backgrounds is odd. Especially when you can make them all without nazi imagery if you're worried about Germany.

They are just lazy devs. There is no other explanation. I kind of wish Valve would force devs to do it. Its those little things that make Steam better than all other gaming platforms.

Arthea

"should" devs dont have to add any steam feature to begin with tbh. if you don't like it you don't buy it, but one would expect consumers would have more reasonable things to be angry about.

Actually they have, Sony and Microsoft made it so, no choice is given to them whatsoever. While Valve of course doesn't demand anything, but 30%, because it's PC, who cares, no?
I don't say that we can demand anything from indies, because who knows, maybe they don't know how to implement leaderboards and achievements, but we should demand from AAA developers. Anger doesn't come into picture here, it's about being treated fairly.

MUnited83

For you.

yep i feel im too immersed into the interwebs right now, i think im gonna go outside.

Angry? Is about principle. They clearly know how to make achievements. They clearly had no issues putting them on the consoles versions. There's no excuses to not put them on PC.

Sendou

I can understand a developer not wanting to spend time on developing achievements in the first place if they don't believe it's a good fit for the game. However once they have done so for whatever reason they should let their players decide whether they want to play the game with or without achievements.

derExperte

Going by the profile numbers I like getting achievements more than almost everyone else in this thread but I don't give a shit if a game doesn't have them. I also couldn't care less if its console version has them. It's not like that that's a huge trend or something anyway, happens about once or twice per year. Meh. New games not offering Steam Cloud is way worse.

Nabs

Angry? Is about principle. They clearly know how to make achievements. They clearly had no issues putting them on the consoles versions. There's no excuses to not put them on PC.

But they did have an issue putting them on console. They shitted them out just to comply, and it didn't make the game or experience any better. On PC, they're free to do what they believe. They feel strongly enough about achievements in their game, why can't you guys just respect that.

http://magicfissile.tumblr.com/post/74278402763/par-intrinsic-vs-extrinsic-rewards-in-kleis

Grief.exe

I don't understand what this means. Wouldn't people want clean water? Regardless as I said above my stance is just on the bigger devs. If you have a version with achievements on consoles. Pretty sure that means you have the resources to do so on PC. Not asking for everything to have it though. No reason to force it to that extreme. I don't even bother with achievements in games, but I always see it as a oddity when PC doesn't but consoles do.

I'll take getting a game at all with no achievements/cards over nothing at the end of the day though.

Clean water is considered by many to be an essential human right. Nabs is poking fun at people in this thread who are treating achievements as a basic right.

But they did have an issue putting them on console. They shitted them out just to comply, and it didn't make the game or experience any better. On PC, they're free to do what they believe. They feel strongly enough about achievements in their game, why can't you guys just respect that.

http://magicfissile.tumblr.com/post/74278402763/par-intrinsic-vs-extrinsic-rewards-in-kleis

Klei has been constantly updating Don't Starve since the Early Access release, but felt their time was better spent implementing countless other features.

Kiru

I don't need achievements in games. Whenever I see I'm missing achievements after completing a game I have this weird OCD urge to get all achievements... If a game doesn't have any I can just freely play it like I want to... I'm weird.

Dsyndrome

That fight made me almost quit the game, not only because of the QTEs. But there are random ones in a bunch of cutscenes too, just had one that would probably meant instant death. I don't have a problem with them in action games or if they're done like in for example Mass Effect. But this, this is crap.
I went with Roche and haven't regretted it. I'm nearing the end of Act 2 and need to keep pushing on.
For the combat, you can try switching up the control method and see if that works for you. I did Witcher 1 completely Kb+m, then found them frustrating in 2. Went to a controller and found I was having more fun. For not making it constantly frustrating, I went the sword-upgrade path after I got the perk that doubles the effect of mutagens. Makes fighting trash mobs easier IMO.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I suck at computers so much :(

I fucked up and had to do a fresh install of windows and now the AMD drivers is acting out.
As when I install it the computer loses connection with my monitor.

I went with Roche and haven't regretted it. I'm nearing the end of Act 2 and need to keep pushing on.
For the combat, you can try switching up the control method and see if that works for you. I did Witcher 1 completely Kb+m, then found them frustrating in 2. Went to a controller and found I was having more fun. For not making it constantly frustrating, I went the sword-upgrade path after I got the perk that doubles the effect of mutagens. Makes fighting trash mobs easier IMO.

Roche really is the biggest badass in that game, also has some funny dialog.

Haunted

Goes both ways. On PC they basically said this kind of fame can't have achievements, then basically went FU with the PS4 version having it. Granted it's mandatory there but when you talk all of that and go around and do it somewhere else it's kind of messed up to your fan base.
I've lost the link to the article by the Klei designer who talked about how achievements have shown to be detrimental to the kind of gameplay experience they wanted to encourage in Don't Starve - so if you ask the developer (everything else being equal, I don't know what's in the PC and PS4 versions, respectively), they'd probably argue that the version without achievements is actually the superior one. :)

edit: Nabs posted it above, good man

edit²: on a personal note, I do like achievements, and games having them is a plus for me. That said, I think Don't Starve can be an exception to this and when the devs have explained their stance so well, I can't really say anything against that. :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I don't need achievements in games. Whenever I see I'm missing achievements after completing a game I have this weird OCD urge to get all achievements... If a game doesn't have any I can just freely play it like I want to... I'm weird.
Nah, I'm exactly the same way. I would absolutely hate it if Valve mandated achievements for every game.

Sendou

Interesting read but I wonder if achievements could be implemented in a way that doesn't obstruct that kind of design philosophy.

derExperte

I plan on doing the same since the other dude just hasn't done or said anything that makes me like or at least relate to him. Roche isn't much better though, in general I don't feel nearly as drawn into world and the character's lifes/issues than in Witcher 1. I probably should play on instead of complaining but skimming over http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/09/return-to-the-witcher-2-part-2-the-not-so-good-bits/ I already agree with lots of his points.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Going by the profile numbers I like getting achievements more than almost everyone else in this thread but I don't give a shit if a game doesn't have them. I also couldn't care less if its console version has them. It's not like that that's a huge trend or something anyway, happens about once or twice per year. Meh. New games not offering Steam Cloud is way worse.

This is all correct opinion and facts in this post here by derexperte.

cheesehustle1o9b3u.jpg

cheesehustle2mxxub.jpg

Qmdps3K.gif

Parsnip

I find it very amusing that whenever Klei is brought up in any context, this achievement thing comes up sooner or later.

Edit: Also coincidentally, I started Mark of the Ninja the other day. I only played it on 360 when it came out, so now I'm getting those Steam achievements.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Edit: Also coincidentally, I started Mark of the Ninja the other day. I only played it on 360 when it came out, so now I'm getting those Steam achievements.
I still want to finish my NG+ run of that game at some point and get all the DLC achievements. Truly one of the best indie games ever made.

Parsnip

I still want to finish my NG+ run of that game at some point and get all the DLC achievements. Truly one of the best indie games ever made.

It is isn't it.
I actually had no idea that the DLC even existed until I checked the store and saw that I already had it.

Steamed again.

you were waiting for the news that has been shown on the STORE PAGE since the thing came out? :p

“NOTE: Players who currently own Don't Starve on Steam will get Don't Starve Together for free when it exits Early-Access. During Early-Access, current owners of Don't Starve get 2 copies of Don't Starve Together through the Frontier Pack at 75% off.
He most likely meant the release note as to when exactly DS:Together will be available for free to pre-owners.

You grumpy old man :p

Dsyndrome

Hope too much bad shit doesn't happen in Witcher 2 since I let Roche kill
Henselt
. Dude was a prick and rapist.

Dr Dogg

Don't know why it took me so long to finish it but just clocked Arkham Origins. Best boss fights in the series, fuck the haters. Also upon unlocking Critical Blows and Upgrading the Shock Gloves fully combo numbers started getting crazy high, like regularly 3 figures. Still fuck that last Worst Nightmare Dark Knight Track challenge. x50 combo with 15 variations and not get hit is going to need some zen like focus.

Intro cutscene for Don't Starve on PS4 is really good too, it's kinda Burton-like.
Dunno why they didn't implement this on PC, it's a no brainer put it on. Only possible thing is, they want differente versions of the game hoping people will buy console version for achievements and intro etc.
Yes, its stupid they didnt put the intro in the PC version, were they forced to do the intro by sony too?

Don't know why it took me so long to finish it but just clocked Arkham Origins. Best boss fights in the series, fuck the haters.

That's not saying much though. And Arkham City's final boss was probably better than most of Orings' fights even if the latter's are generally of higher quality. Mr. Freeze (on new game+) still stands as the best boss battle the series had.

Here's hoping Arkham Knight can do a legitimately good one-on-one hand-to-hand boss fight with the combat system being the way it is.

dex3108

Don't know why it took me so long to finish it but just clocked Arkham Origins. Best boss fights in the series, fuck the haters. Also upon unlocking Critical Blows and Upgrading the Shock Gloves fully combo numbers started getting crazy high, like regularly 3 figures. Still fuck that last Worst Nightmare Dark Knight Track challenge. x50 combo with 15 variations and not get hit is going to need some zen like focus.

It has best story too and in my opinion Roger and Troy did amazing job. Kevin in AC and now in AK just reads text that Rocksteady gave him without any passion.

Parsnip

Mr. Freeze in City's NG+ is still the best I think.
Every part of the buffalo.

somebody had to do it

But that's not the point. The point is that Klei are a bunch of hypocrites that want to have their cake and eat it too. Add in their "we value fan feedback" bullshit and it's even worse.

Arthea is inferior 50ppp confirmed.

Ha. Truth.

how is that more stupid than demanding that games have cards? If we have feature available, we want it implemented. Some don't care one way or another, some care, that's how humans tick.

It's not even that.
Would it be nice? Sure. (Well, except for Steam Cloud... right now, I'm not a huge fan of that dumpster fire.)
Again, my problem stems from the hypocritcal sellout behaviour of Klei and the claims that they value fan feedback but then choose to ignore it.

It's still a dick move when you take a stance against achievements, but then sell out and put achievements anyway because of money, but you don't put those features for the people who supported the game in the first place.

Agreed.

And it's a steam feature that should be on the game if they support it in other platforms.

Exactly.

Bullshit.

Intro cutscene for Don't Starve on PS4 is really good too, it's kinda Burton-like.
Dunno why they didn't implement this on PC, it's a no brainer put it on. Only possible thing is, they want differente versions of the game hoping people will buy console version for achievements and intro etc.

Why bother when it won't net them any additional profit?
That's how Klei works, it seems.
"Can we make money off it? No. Not worth doing."
"We can make money if we compromise our principles? Okay. Give us the dollars."
"Fans want us to put the additional content from selling out into the PC version... can we make money off it? No. Fuck 'em."
"Fans suggested multiplayer... sure, we can do that because we can sell a new version to suckers and make money!"

And after the fiasco, they make Invisible Inc. and throw it into early access to get that fan feedback they don't actually want... and they get asked about achievements (and controller support) so much that they add points to their FAQ about it. They've been stringing people along saying "we're not opposed, it'll probably happen, but right now we're focused on the gameplay." We'll see if they were telling the truth soon enough, I think, as I think it's supposed to come out of EA this month.

Freeflow Focus 2.0 achievement, basically. I was surprised there was no 3.0 in Origins... but it seems it's still there as a challenge.

Yes, its stupid they didnt put the intro in the PC version, were they forced to do the intro by sony too?

Bwahahaha. I like you.

My excitement for AK is probably at the lowest possible.

Now this isn't bullshit.
I'm in complete agreement.

I'll wait for the reviews... and until I upgrade my graphics card... quite possibly until the GOTY edition even.

MadGear

Looks like a RARE game, ugly character art and a very colorful world.

Hm I wouldn't call them ugly ... just uninteresting and generic. The same could be said about that the level as well which is probably just a test-area but simply doesn't look good to me at all. At the very least it lacks some unique detail (especially the ground material) but I'll reserve my judgment until I have seen a proper level.

I just hope that they won't bother with these floating coins. They work well as breadcrumbs to show you where to go but to me even back in Mario 64 they looked out of place. It always looks odd to me whenever I see them in games, don't really know why though.

pahamrick

And after the fiasco, they make Invisible Inc. and throw it into early access to get that fan feedback they don't actually want... and they get asked about achievements (and controller support) so much that they add points to their FAQ about it. They've been stringing people along saying "we're not opposed, it'll probably happen, but right now we're focused on the gameplay." We'll see if they were telling the truth soon enough, I think, as I think it's supposed to come out of EA this month.

I like Klei's games, I really do. I especially REALLY like Invisible, Inc -- but if it doesn't get controller support considering they've already announced Invisible, Inc for PS4 I am fucking done with them.

Sarcasm

Is the achievement still click some useless item 725 times? Cause yes that is so WORTHY.

My gawd people.

Googled yea looks like at some point they added more. Just use to be that use accomplishshrine 725 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom