• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phawx

Xpost from indie game thread:

Here's my Quick Look at Galacide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlGsLVMNOKc

R9TDc3o.gif

Quick Impressions: Horizontal Shmup meets Columns. If you are unfamiliar with Columns, it was a simple match-3 game to be a competitor for Tetris. Sega bought the game from Jay Geertsen and bundled the game with the Game Gear to have their own must-have puzzle game on a handheld. It looked like this:

iphone-columns.jpg

So rotate the Columns into Rows and you have the same idea but in a shmup. Enemies drop different colored pieces that you then have to append to other structures creating 3 or more of the same color in a pattern to remove those obstacles.

You start off with three ships that have varying degrees of Health, Power, Speed and each have their own unique ability. The starting ship has a tractor beam for pulling in colored gems faster, but cannot store any colored gems. The second ship allows you to store colored gems for later use and the third ship allows you to create a clone of your ship that attracts enemies while you are now freely allowed to go through any of the blocks.

It's really interesting in that the third ship plays more like a traditional bullet hell shmup because you don't need to worry yourself about the puzzle element of the game.

Right now, the game is still in early access and the first two ships play against the meat of puzzle aspects of the game. I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. Right now, the game can slow down tremendously with very long sequences of bricks to break. I tend to prefer the third ship at higher difficulties to get a more traditional sense of the shmup genre.

Still I look forward to seeing this game progress as it's an interesting mash-up.​

Nabs

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is so cheap. It's a really good game if you're into beat 'em ups or like pushing buttons on your arcade stick. It's very fun. There's currently no online multiplayer, but they have said that they're trying to implement it. We'll see what happens.

Daily Killing Floor 2 15% off

Midweek
  • Degica (RPG Maker) up to 80% off
  • Construction Simulator 2015 60% off
  • Sleepydogs Definitive 75% off

I love how they don't even discount the DLC for the original Sleepy Dawgs game.

I mean, yeah, I suppose the Definitive Edition is cheaper, but that's not the version I bought and played through.

Xpost from indie game thread:

Here's my Quick Look at Galacide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlGsLVMNOKc

R9TDc3o.gif

Quick Impressions: Horizontal Shmup meets Columns. If you are unfamiliar with Columns, it was a simple match-3 game to be a competitor for Tetris. Sega bought the game from Jay Geertsen and bundled the game with the Game Gear to have their own must-have puzzle game on a handheld. It looked like this:

iphone-columns.jpg

So rotate the Columns into Rows and you have the same idea but in a shmup. Enemies drop different colored pieces that you then have to append to other structures creating 3 or more of the same color in a pattern to remove those obstacles.

You start off with three ships that have varying degrees of Health, Power, Speed and each have their own unique ability. The starting ship has a tractor beam for pulling in colored gems faster, but cannot store any colored gems. The second ship allows you to store colored gems for later use and the third ship allows you to create a clone of your ship that attracts enemies while you are now freely allowed to go through any of the blocks.

It's really interesting in that the third ship plays more like a traditional bullet hell shmup because you don't need to worry yourself about the puzzle element of the game.

Right now, the game is still in early access and the first two ships play against the meat of puzzle aspects of the game. I think it needs to be tweaked a bit. Right now, the game can slow down tremendously with very long sequences of bricks to break. I tend to prefer the third ship at higher difficulties to get a more traditional sense of the shmup genre.

Still I look forward to seeing this game progress as it's an interesting mash-up.​

Wow, that sounds cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
No upgrade option for sleepydogs. Dumb. Almost as dumb as no DMC4 SE upgrade. Not compelling since I already have all story DLC and 4 vanity packs.

Hey, Square-Enix. I REMEMBER THIS SHIT AND CHOOSE TO NOT BUY YOUR NEXT GAME UNTIL GOTY EDITION BECAUSE OF IT.

Dr Dogg

A man who has never played Sleepy Dawgs is never a whole man.

If I wasn't up to my eyes in Open World jankyness as of late I'd have started up a Definitive Edition playthrough.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
[Akiba's Trip is] a shockingly good substitute for an actual trip to Japan if you can't afford it. I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Japan a few years back and I was in awe at how they captured the feel of it all. Not perfect, but fun none the less!

now that's a review ;)

Maybe wait a minute or two before buying Akiba

http://www.relyonhorror.com/reviews/...ed-pc-version/
Now, I can’t verify this due to a lack of technical know-how, but I suspect that Akiba’s PC port suffers from a limited internal resolution, upscaling the game for higher monitors. The game appears soft and fuzzy, with character outlines and city backgrounds not as crisp as I expected from an anime-styled game running at a full 1080p resolution. Curiously enough, when entering any of the game’s many stores, there’s a discernible difference in clarity, with shopkeepers appearing much sharper than other parts of the game.

Shantom

Great deal for Phantom Breaker. I still haven't played it despite buying it when it was 40% off a while ago. I've just bought the DLC too, but now I'll hold off on playing it until I get Steins;Gate next week.

Deques

titch

Hello everyone, how has everyone been? I have been away since last weekend, not that anybody noticed anything or that I was being missed.

Anyway, my second gem was born in Sunday. A baby girl :)
Say hello to her :)

Major congrats man hope everyone is doing well!!!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmmm.... RPG Maker 2003 for $10.

Maybe it'll reach -80% during the summer sale. Maybe. It's the only one that wasn't in the Humble Bundle.

Waiting on Guilty Gear.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
CDPR not discussing Cyberpunk 2077 until 2017

CD Projekt Red, developer of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, has said it isn't planning to talk about its next game, Cyberpunk 2077, until 2017 at the earliest.

Speaking to Reuters, CD Projekt CEO Adam Kicinski said he expects Cyberpunk 2077 to be a bigger commercial success than The Witcher 3, and added that the company doesn't plan to offer more information on the game for a while yet.

"We hope and we are certain that Cyberpunk has even bigger commercial potential," he said. "It is too early to talk about it, though."

"This year, and the next one will be the years of the Witcher," he added.

Nabs

Any Audiosurf 2 impressions? Crazy how quietly it's launching -- the first was pretty magical.

It hasn't grabbed me in the way AS1 did, but it's still pretty good. Soundcloud intergration is great, and the algorithm is the best it's ever been. I recommend giving the demo a spin to see if it's worth it. I was mainly a puzzle player (Pusher), and I don't feel they got it just right yet.

Visually, I find it very off-putting but I do enjoy beat'em ups. Might check it out.

Yeah, I'm not into the anime style, but the gameplay is really good.

Deques

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom