• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Just finished Witcher 3.

Easily one of the best RPG's in the past decade and a lock for my GOTY.

I really don't see anything coming out this year that could top it for me.

Have you played Pillars of Eternity?

Assassin's Creed Syndicahahaha.

It might. Well it might in my eyes but I voted Watch_Dogs at No 5 for the SteamGAF GOTY's so everyone take my opinion with a bunch of crazy pills.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For the love of all that's fun I can't remember if Jasec liked Watch Doggs or not.

Nope. Dropped it after about 6 hours. I'm not against the idea of giving it another go now that I can run it at max settings, though.

zkylon

zkylewd
phantom breaker is weird

it has like a billion buttons which is giving me a headache but i seem to be able to mash my way through it which is enough for me. half of the time i activate some weird special move by accident, but i seem to be doing ok. i tried reading the "how to play section" but i can't possibly be expected to remember all that.

mostly i don't enjoy that it takes like too long to turn and just something about the graphics don't go too well with me. like the font looks weird and it doesn't feel like it rescales all that well on full-screen

also not enough kyaaaing

5594A0DD45E4FE153D00BE33F5635013D828FD7C

like wtf is this shit

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean, even if ubi doesn't ever make a competent stealth game they could at least make the combat fun?

like i can't understand how after a billion games they can't just flat out license the arkham combat and call it a day

Jawmuncher

i mean, even if ubi doesn't ever make a competent stealth game they could at least make the combat fun?

like i can't understand how after a billion games they can't just flat out license the arkham combat and call it a day

Whoa hold on now. Might be a different series but Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is like one of the best stealth games ever. They should just make a Solinter Cell game but have fisher dressed up as a assassin.

Dr Dogg

Yes. The writing is beautiful, however the story and characters didn't pull me in the way Witcher 3 does.

They're very different styles of RPG but there's certainly a bit of crossover between the two. I still need to get back to Pillars but I want to be done with The Witcher III. Give it a month of 2 and I'll probably start up a new game of Pillars with a lot more knowledge about the battle mechanics now.

If Assassins Creed was based on actual assassins it would be the best videogame ever.

And that is why the first is the best. No I really do think it is.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Whoa hold on now. Might be a different series but Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is like one of the best stealth games ever. They should just make a Solinter Cell game but have fisher dressed up as a assassin.

Yes. In multiple eras and battles.
And that is why the first is the best. No I really do think it is.

That's the one I've actually completed.

They're very different styles of RPG but there's certainly a bit of crossover between the two. I still need to get back to Pillars but I want to be done with The Witcher III. Give it a month of 2 and I'll probably start up a new game of Pillars with a lot more knowledge about the battle mechanics now.
I know, that's why I didn't bother to compare combat mechanics, I was just pointing out why I placed Witcher 3 over Pillars of Eternity.

zkylon

zkylewd

i dont play tom clancy games but like i meant specifically talking about the ass creed series having consistently shitty combat

pls ubi just forget about trying your own combat, give up and dedicate a team to copy the arkham formula

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Drugged up islamists that commit terrorism. That would sell buckets in the US of A :p

Give me a proper Fate/Stay Night action game instead.

An assycreed game based on the great mongol khans would actually make a great parallel to ISIS, given that it's not just exploitative.

Arthea

making combat fun is rather hard to do, because people have so different expectations, more or less all agree that Bethesda can't make good combat even if their life depended on it, but when it comes to what's actually good, or fun, opinions vary significantly. For example I think that FF13 has great combat, really fun and fast based on decision making and paying attention, other people think that it's horrible because you don't actually do combat, you more like supervise it. Some people like real time with pause, for example, some hate. Some people hate anything turn based so much, that when you read what they say, you actually facepalm in a real life, at least I do. Some think that action based combat is boring and nothing but button mashing, etc.
What I mean, it's not as simple matter as it would seem.

Dr Dogg

That's the one I've actually completed.

Did you collect all the flags though?

Drugged up islamists that commit terrorism. That would sell buckets in the US of A :p

You'll never guess who you face off against predominantly in the first game...

I know, that's why I didn't bother to compare combat mechanics, I was just pointing out why I place Witcher 3 over Pillars of Eternity.

Oh for sure but the way I see it is that I can love both just as equality and not have it be a competition for which is better. End of the day for me they're both good and each do things better than the other does. Then again I like any old shit.

dex3108

i dont play tom clancy games but like i meant specifically talking about the ass creed series having consistently shitty combat

pls ubi just forget about trying your own combat, give up and dedicate a team to copy the arkham formula

Well before AC Unity was similar to Batman with all of those combos and counter kills and it was boring. Batman combat is good because it fits with all of those upgrades and gadgets.

zkylon

zkylewd
making combat fun is rather hard to do, because people have so different expectations, more or less all agree that Bethesda can't make good combat even if their life depended on it, but when it comes to what's actually good, or fun, opinions vary significantly. For example I think that FF13 has great combat, really fun and fast based on decision making and paying attention, other people think that it's horrible because you don't actually do combat, you more like supervise it. Some people like real time with pause, for example, some hate. Some people hate anything turn based so much, that when you read what they say, you actually facepalm in a real life, at least I do. Some think that action based combat is boring and nothing but button mashing, etc.
What I mean, it's not as simple matter as it would seem.
it's not that it's hard to do good combat, it's that ubi isn't really trying to

Well before AC Unity was similar to Batman with all of those combos and counter kills and it was boring. Batman combat is good because it fits with all of those upgrades and gadgets.
i mean, you're pretty much playing batman in the ass creed series

Arthea

it's not that it's hard to do good combat, it's that ubi isn't really trying to

so you are saying Bethesda and Ubi do what they do on purpose?
spockeyebrow.gif

Give me a proper Fate/Stay Night action game instead.

Why not VN... I want VN... can I have an original VN instead?
on steam

Have you played Fate/Extra?

dex3108

i mean, you're pretty much playing batman in the ass creed series

Yeah but sword combat is way different from hand to hand. Also Batman has all of those modern gadgets and AC only has smoke bomb and throwing knifes. There is no variety so AC combat moves are limited. In my opinion AC Unity combat is solid base and they should work on top of that. Few more moves beside light and heavy hits and more responsive controls and AC combat will be fine.

Dr Dogg

Oh I know, the beggar lady.

No silly the Crazy Man is the evil mastermind of the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSUPYQ6lBtM

It was incredible back when it was released. The settings, the mystery(before the true craziness started), and there was a lot less filler(flags). Didn't even mind the repetition.

god no. I think the only game I've completed 100% was the original Jak and Dax. And maybe a few Ratchet and Clank games.

I dread to think if the Full Sync Bar started in the first and required all those flags. Not that the subsequent games don't have collectable fluff to the same degree but not having a way to track them in game was a right pain.

zkylon

zkylewd
so you are saying Bethesda and Ubi do what they do on purpose?
spockeyebrow.gif
yes?

not saying they sabotage their own games but they certainly don't have a high priority placed on meaningfully improving their combat

it's a bit hard to swallow that ubi's trying their darnest to make ass creed combat better when they've made ~10 games with exactly the same combat

Yeah but sword combat is way different from hand to hand. Also Batman has all of those modern gadgets and AC only has smoke bomb and throwing knifes. There is no variety so AC combat moves are limited. In my opinion AC Unity combat is solid base and they should work on top of that. Few more moves beside light and heavy hits and more responsive controls and AC combat will be fine.
just do something

there's easily a way to make the combat in ass creed be something more than "fluff"

and actually that applies to everything gameplay about the series, climbing stuff is very much as low-involvement as gameplay can be, stealth is wonky and stupidly simple, most gadgets are worthless, etc.

but the combat is what needs it the most, because there's so fucking much of it and it's so so so so boring

on prerelease it seemed like ass unity was gonna be a bit better about this but haven't played it to comment on that

yes?

not saying they sabotage their own games but they certainly don't have a high priority placed on meaningfully improving their combat

it's a bit hard to swallow that ubi's trying their darnest to make ass creed combat better when they've made ~10 games with exactly the same combat

I still remember in some E3 Video after 2 they said "The combat will be totally new. You cant just block an attack and instakill the guy."

And then you could do it in Brotherhoods again.

dex3108

yes?

just do something

there's easily a way to make the combat in ass creed be something more than "fluff"

and actually that applies to everything gameplay about the series, climbing stuff is very much as low-involvement as gameplay can be, stealth is wonky and stupidly simple, most gadgets are worthless, etc.

but the combat is what needs it the most, because there's so fucking much of it and it's so so so so boring

on prerelease it seemed like ass unity was gonna be a bit better about this but haven't played it to comment on that

They have one big issue with AC and that is reason behind certain mechanic and content. For example Cockades in AC Unity. What is their purpose? Absolutely nothing. But they could use them for climbing challenges that could improve your Parkour stats or something else. Same goes with chests. Instead of chests they could add safes around city it has more sense. They are adding things without explaining them or without reason behind them. At least they worked on combat and stealth in ACU.

Arthea

http://media.giphy.com/media/k7SZLGTPmEEN2/giphy.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ningen, I knew I like you for a reason
[SPOILER]gif is almost too good[/SPOILER]

edited: I just had this thought that we don't even get "when is summer sale" posts here in community.
[SPOILER]I kinda miss them, don't judge[/SPOILER]
edit2: rather not them but everyone getting worked up because of them.

Anteater

edited: I just had this thought that we don't even get "when is summer sale" posts here in community.
I kinda miss them, don't judge
edit2: rather not them but everyone getting worked up because of them.

Don't worry even without them there'll still be enough posts complaining about them anyway.

Chariot

You'll never guess who you face off against predominantly in the first game...
I don't know. Templer I guess, who are white and christian? But point is the Assassins in AC aren't what they were in our world. They're the good ones, are they not? And also an ancient group that fights for freedom and the people against bad bad opressive templers. The real assassins were nothing like that.
The equivalent would be playing on the site of ISIS in the next Call of Duty.

Why not VN... I want VN... can I have an original VN instead?
on steam

Have you played Fate/Extra?
Because the original VN is boring. Fate/Extra is interesting, watched a friend play it on another friends Vita. Tried to get in the pants of fox girl.

Aww, so cute.

Anteater

Bionic Commando looks pretty good and I'm getting pretty good performance, I know it's an old game but still, the maps aren't exactly corridors and they are pretty open. The engine seems to be used in the Payday games now.

I forgot all about that Terminator Salvation game, I guess it's not on steam (anymore).

Game isn't bad so far, well I mean they got the basic controls right and it's responsive, just that the enemy encounters so far are a bit bad, where there are just a bunch of snipers in an open city and you have to either avoid them or kill them to while swinging around getting to point B.

Arthea

just read that there was interview in Famitsu with Sakaguchi about Final Fantasy, and it was supposed to be named Fighting Fantasy, what saved us from this that there was already a game with this name. Also Final was just random nice sounding word and not what everyone thinks it was. Hilarious!
I did some consideration, and decided that from now on Final Fantasy is a good name in my book seeing as we avoided Fighting Fantasy. Bless the game with that name for this,

That soon?

GODDAMMIT

what happened to you avatar? not that it's loathsome enough, but still

not soon enough, seeing as I'm close to spending all my summer sale moneys already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom