• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

Which is why the 3DS is the best currently-available Nintendo console, duh.

Also whoo, done with school till the fall. Now I can catch up on my backlog.

I got them all for my DS and 2DS. I just want a full featured one on WiiU without that bullshit runey/auto-farming system like the Wii version. I just want a full 3D Rune Factory on PC.

Stardew Valley is looking a bit too tame.

-Deimos

image.php

Copons

Finally after several days of scouring the webs, I finished my list of mods for GTAIV/Episodes of Liberty City.

Thanks someone, I've bookmarked this post!

Problem is, after installing GTA4 (and SecuROM ffs I totally forgot about that), and modded a little bit, while it was everything kinda pretty, I also remembered why I always put off GTA: it's soooooo fucking boring.

So yeah, at least from all this I'm finally not peer-pressured to buy GTA5 anymore. :D

Heck yeah!

But: since it was a Xbone exclusive, I've never really cared for it, so I totally don't know how it's gonna work.
I mean: is it the first part of an episodic game, isn't it? Did SWERY say anything about the other episodes? 15$ for the first episode of an unfinished work seems kinda steep. :D

This game is the dark horse of simulators. Seriously surprising. Anyone who still does not have this or more than 50 hours under their belt is dead to me.

I've only got 29 hours, sorry.
In my defence, I gave up when I got to UK for the first time and at the first reverse roundabout I was WTF IS THIS SHIT, I parked my truck in Newcastle and I've never launched the game again as I'm too scared I'll be stuck forever trying to get on the ferry back to proper-side-driving-world.

Milamber

Not only the inhospitable environment where anything can kill you in the wild, now games that can kill your wallets. Do they want people to leave?

I'm imagining Australia as a Mad Max world after the tax hike becomes a reality.

EDIT: Which is ironic because the movie is filmed there.

dex3108

The ironic thing is that many people in Australia already pirate (TV, movies, music, games) because prices are too high.

And i support them. As Gaben said one it is service problem. HBO now has their own online service available only in few countries, Netflix available only in few countries...

def sim

Heck yeah!

But: since it was a Xbone exclusive, I've never really cared for it, so I totally don't know how it's gonna work.
I mean: is it the first part of an episodic game, isn't it? Did SWERY say anything about the other episodes? 15$ for the first episode of an unfinished work seems kinda steep. :D

$15 gets you a prologue and two episodes. It took me a little more than 4 hours to finish.

As for more episodes:
Swery flashed a season 2 screenie in an interview so I believe more is on the way.

Swery hinting at something might as well be a confirmation.

Dr Dogg

10% tax is small fry to what we've got in Europe. I should have paid between 17.5% and 20% on every purchase on Steam (though I bet until earlier this year Valve were only charging 15%) and some other European countries have VAT rates as high as 28%. I might start asking Valve for VAT Receipts.

Ban Puncher

Hopefully Good Guy ACCC tells the 'government' (really Rupert Murdoch and Gerry Harvey) to go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut.

dex3108

When I was there a few years ago, it's cheaper to import games halfway the world from UK than buy it from EBGames/GAME down the street.

Beside that we are talking about digital distribution that should be cheaper because there is no import tax and yet they want to add more taxes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
10% tax is small fry to what we've got in Europe. I should have paid between 17.5% and 20% on every purchase on Steam (though I bet until earlier this year Valve were only charging 15%) and some other European countries have VAT rates as high as 28%. I might start asking Valve for VAT Receipts.

Oh wait, that's what we are supposed to be sad about? It's just normal higher VATs like we already have in europe? If that's the case, manslapper and Jsec can fuck off and give me back my sympathy then, I deserve it more, my vat is like 23% atm

Ban Puncher

Oh wait, that's what we are supposed to be sad about? It's just normal higher VATs like we already have in europe? If that's the case, manslapper and Jsec can fuck off and give me back my sympathy then, I deserve it more, my vat is like 23% atm

That's 10% on top of the already existing 'Australian Tax' ie game is $60USD on Steam Vanilla but $80USD on Steam Australia because fuck you that's why.

Dr Dogg

Witcher 3 PC Download is NOT available on

Amazon
GAME
FunstockDigital
GetGames
WinGameStore

So those could be other retailer that GMG is referring to.

It's actually a fucking hilarious situation when you look at it with everyone putting their foot in their mouths at some point.

GMG doesn't want to be excluded from the Witcher III party but from what seems like CDPR wanting to keep the retail price at a certain threshold decided not to do direct business with a company known for offering deep discounts before launch. They might have gambled they wouldn't source keys outside of them (the source of which is still unknown and could be a bulk deal with an approved reseller) and then sell bellow other retail price. So if that's the case CDPR look like to tried to controll the market price and gambled that GMG wouldn't undercut like they did, GMG could have made an announcement or disclaimer on the site explaining the situation as a matter of transparency to retain customer trust (not the key source but explain they tried to do business) but Gamespot and a CDPR mod made a mess of this situation in public.

First with Gamespot updating their deal article with precisely two words of a quote from a CDPR rep and their own spin on the GMG deal not giving CDPR any revenue. Secondly not having the courtesy to contact GMG, check the facts and wait for their response before publishing anything. And thirdly it seems the author of the article which contains the statement from the GMG CEO, who isn't the original articles author, has misunderstood what CDPR have said to them directly and stated that it was CDPR who said they wouldn't be getting any revenue when the only quote from the unnamed CDPR rep was "unknown source". Absolute shambles of reporting. It's more akin to amateur aggregated blogging.

As for the mod who said GMG had been caught at least twice selling fraudulent Steam keys, considering they didn't back that up in any way possible I can't imagine that's going to go down well at GMG and might effect future relations with them and CDPR if they're going to let their, presumably volunteer, forum staff act in such a way.

dex3108

It's actually a fucking hilarious situation when you look at it with everyone putting their foot in their mouths at some point.

GMG doesn't want to be excluded from the Witcher III party but from what seems like CDPR wanting to keep the retail price at a certain threshold decided not to do direct business with a company known for offering deep discounts before launch. They might have gambled they wouldn't source keys outside of them (the source of which is still unknown and could be a bulk deal with an approved reseller) and then sell bellow other retail price. So if that's the case CDPR look like to tried to controll the market price and gambled that GMG wouldn't undercut like they did, GMG could have made an announcement or disclaimer on the site explaining the situation as a matter of transparency to retain customer trust (not the key source but explain they tried to do business) but Gamespot and a CDPR mod made a mess of this situation in public.

First with Gamespot updating their deal article with precisely two words of a quote from a CDPR rep and their own spin on the GMG deal not giving CDPR any revenue. Secondly not having the courtesy to contact GMG, check the facts and wait for their response before publishing anything. And thirdly it seems the author of the article which contains the statement from the GMG CEO, who isn't the original articles author, has misunderstood what CDPR have said to them directly and stated that it was CDPR who said they wouldn't be getting any revenue when the only quote from the unarmed source was "unknown source". Absolute shambles of reporting.

As for the mod who said GMG had be caught at least twice selling fraudulent Steam keys, considering they didn't back that up in any way possible I can't imagine that's goi g to go down well at GMG and might effect future relations with them and CDPR if they're going to let their, presumably volunteer, forum staff act in such a way.

Both sides screwed up. GMG should be open since day 1 and told their customers that they have issues with CDPR. And CDPR should be open and tell why they denied keys to GMG in the first place.

That's 10% on top of the already existing 'Australian Tax' ie game is $60USD on Steam Vanilla but $80USD on Steam Australia because fuck you that's why.
Before the advent of digital distribution, Switzerland was probably the most expensive place for games (130usd for a n64 first party title). Strong swiss franc + nuuvem = pure bliss.

Edit: we have the "Swiss tax". Meaning that importers will mark up everything, because Switzerland.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Dascu, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dascu, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Malebolgia #3 -- MB-21C877867678DF16 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 30 entrants total.
Malebolgia #2 -- MB-CE286DB2C25E76A5 - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 41 entrants total.
Malebolgia #5 -- MB-39ECD70AFAED3554 - Taken by 73V3N. 40 entrants total.
Malebolgia -- MB-53B39227BC70DF06 - Taken by BernardoOne. 20 entrants total.
Malebolgia #4 -- MB-92973CEEDDEE5A4F - Taken by DunderHassan. 22 entrants total.

t1431026059z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
We dont get games any more expensive than any other european country with small VAT though.

Dr Dogg

Both sides screwed up. GMG should be open since day 1 and told their customers that they have issues with CDPR. And CDPR should be open and tell why they denied keys to GMG in the first place.

GMG don't need to be open with their customers but when you've got notorious sites like G2A and Kinguin operating in the same sector, being honest transparent distances yourself from them. I don't expect them to state in public where they're getting their keys from so not to throw the company under the bus.

Likewise CDPR don't need to tell us why they have refused to do business with GMG and I don't expect them too either. It really looks like they're trying to play the free market and limit supply to those who will stick to a close to RRP markup but didn't account that GMG would do something like take minimal profit or a loss for customer retention.

I'm sure both GMG and CDPR can see this little kerfuffle has gone a gone a little wrong for them, they both made mistakes, can kiss and make up and move along going forward. And as for Gamespot, ughhh...

Seeing as it's the distributor/publisher who sets the price on Steam but Valve as the retailer who have to collect and submit VAT be interesting yo see if prices change in accordance or stay the same and that either the pub or Valve absorb the increase in cost. Well it wont be interesting as tax is a boring subject but you catch my drift.

dex3108

GMG don't need to be open with their customers but when you've got notorious sites like G2A and Kinguin operating in the same sector, being honest transparent distances yourself from them. I don't expect them to state in public where they're getting their keys from so not to throw the company under the bus.

Likewise CDPR don't need to tell us why they have refused to do business with GMG and I don't expect them too either. It really looks like they're trying to play the free market and limit supply to those who will stick to a close to RRP markup but didn't account that GMG would do something like take minimal profit or a loss for customer retention.

I'm sure both GMG and CDPR can see this little kerfuffle has gone a gone a little wrong for them, they both made mistakes, can kiss and make up and move along going forward. And as for Gamespot, ughhh...

I was referring to this situation. What they are doing is their thing but when some of those things go public best way to clear things is to be honest and let people decide who is right.

Dr Dogg

I was referring to this situation. What they are doing is their thing but when some of those things go public best way to clear things is to be honest and let people decide who is right.

Really putting their business dealings out in the open, especially somewhere like the gaming community where lots of people like to think they're an expert on these matters regardless that they have no experience what so ever, is just asking for trouble. Even more so when it's then public domain and slapped on the internet to be brought up at later date. I'm sure GMG and CDPR will talk about it behind closed doors but it should have never come to this in the first place but hey hindsight is a wonderful thing.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
the more I play KF2 the more I miss the KF1 voice

For the increase in voice quality, I feel like a lot of the personality has been lost. Mr. Stoic Asian Guy With B-Movie Quotes just doesn't have the same power as "MY GRANNY SHOOTS SMARTER'N YEW!" in the heat of the moment. They were trying to go for reactionary dialog like Left 4 Dead/2 had but failed to understand that you needed fun characters behind those lines... and people who know how to write good dialog.

Shame, but, a small issue when the rest of the game is sooooooooooo good!
please new class soon, tripwire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom