• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Falcom Nihon Thread where the CEO (?) says they love the good sales of their titles on Steam is hilarious.

I know NeoGAF has a lot of Sony fans but damn. Some people try to find negative things in everything that has to do something with PC gaming...

Teeth

I just watched that new Witcher 3 video and...man, that game isn't looking all that amazing any more. The lighting during the day time is incredibly flat, the colour palette is kind of garish, and the walking-around character models don't even appear to be Witcher 2 level.

The shot of the desert-scape looks downright shit-mountain compared to Witcher 2.
eoOxGxF.jpg

I'm not one to scream DOWNGRADES!! DOWNGRADES!!! but the Witcher series' fandom seems to rest heavily on the game's production values over its, in my opinion, heavily flawed gameplay (and the gameplay streams have done nothing to dissuade my jaded outlook on W3's "improvements" in that regard).

This game looks nothing like what they've showed for years.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Pillars of Eternity 1.05 is live.
Gaze of the Adragan nerf incoming. I wouldn't have minded if I wasn't trying a solo run with a glass canon. :(

The Falcom Nihon Thread where the CEO (?) says they love the good sales of their titles on Steam is hilarious.

I know NeoGAF has a lot of Sony fans but damn. Some people try to find negative things in everything that has to do something with PC gaming...
With the 5 or so PC threads in the past two days, it's just getting even more apparent. It's pretty pathetic.

I just watched that new Witcher 3 video and...man, that game isn't looking all that amazing any more. The lighting during the day time is incredibly flat, the colour palette is kind of garish, and the walking-around character models don't even appear to be Witcher 2 level.

The shot of the desert-scape looks downright shit-mountain compared to Witcher 2.

I'm not one to scream DOWNGRADES!! DOWNGRADES!!! but the Witcher series' fandom seems to rest heavily on the game's production values over its, in my opinion, heavily flawed gameplay (and the gameplay streams have done nothing to dissuade my jaded outlook on W3's "improvements" in that regard).

As someone with a 7850 and a strong desire to play The Witcher 3, these "downgrades" are alright to me, it doesn't look as impressive as the original trailers but it's still a great looking game I think :).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Surely, My Little PC Game Marketplace Can't Possibly Be This Huge!

Falcom getting more money to do more ports and potentially more projects should be something everyone is rooting for. I don't even play their games and I'm super happy with the reception the PC space has given them!
Tokyo Xanadu in 5 years, then?

Seems like CDPR forgot what Anisotropic Filtering is again, at least. Funny how one of the simplest and typically cheapest IQ gaining methods is one they tend to ignore.

I dunno, I think this shot is just a bad angle. The rest of the shots don't look anywhere near as bad, though there have been some obvious cutbacks in geometry complexity.

Falcom getting more money to do more ports and potentially more projects should be something everyone is rooting for. I don't even play their games and I'm super happy with the reception the PC space has given them!
Tokyo Xanadu in 5 years, then?

I dont really see how you can see any negative thing in the statement. Just that the sales on Steam are good and some even better than the ones they had on the handhelds before.

With the 5 or so PC threads in the past two days, it's just getting even more apparent. It's pretty pathetic.

I really dont understand why the hostility.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I dont really see how you can see any negative thing in the statement. Just that the sales on Steam are good and some even better than the ones they had on the handhelds before.

Perhaps it's just a fear of losing out on localized versions of Falcom's games on handhelds due to there being another market force which can offer them a significant audience. I don't think this is really going to threaten that much, just be another avenue for Falcom's games to increase their playerbase.

Nabs

I really dont understand why the hostility.

At first it was the fear of change. Now it's just salt.

Consoles are basically underpowered PCs now.

Perhaps it's just a fear of losing out on localized versions of Falcom's games on handhelds due to there being another market force which can offer them a significant audience. I don't think this is really going to threaten that much, just be another avenue for Falcom's games to increase their playerbase.

That might be but it was evident, because Falcom released those games on already half-dead handhelds.

I think both plattforms are good though and I doubt Falcom will shift from one to the other.

At first it was the fear of change. Now it's just salt.

Consoles are basically underpowered PCs now.

But they arent really developing for consoles (besides the Sen no Kiseki games). It seems their main plattfom was PSP and Vita before.

Teeth

As someone with a 7850 and a strong desire to play The Witcher 3, these "downgrades" are alright to me, it doesn't look as impressive as the original trailers but it's still a great looking game I think :).

Well, yeah, but theoretically, all this stuff could be controlled by extensive LOD sliders and lower res textures for lower end systems.

Seems like CDPR forgot what Anisotropic Filtering is again, at least. Funny how one of the simplest and typically cheapest IQ gaining methods is one they tend to ignore.

I dunno, I think this shot is just a bad angle. The rest of the shots don't look anywhere near as bad, though there have been some obvious cutbacks in geometry complexity.

I don't think it's just a bad angle. If you watch the Blood and Steel and Bone and Poop trailer, the entire lighting systems is super flat and the characters look 360 up-rezed to PC in 2011 to me.

I guess the thing is, the Witcher's never really been that amazing to me on the art side, but the fidelity made the Witcher 2 gorgeous. The costuming was often incredibly detailed and monsters looked good. The characters in 3 are woefully lacking in detail and geometry of the landscape elements are incredibly boxy or just plain garish (like all the grass and shrubbery detailing). Everything looks like it's missing SSAO and all the clothing surfaces are dull and lacking pop. Everything looks dimensionless and the distance shots are barren. It's so very flat looking.

Again, I wouldn't even comment on it, but it's such a clawing back from what they were showing.

I remember when the very first horse-riding shots were shown and CDPR said "Don't worry guys, this is using the Witcher 2's lighting and the game will look much better." Well damn, the game actually looks much worse than those shots.

Here's a shot from 2013 supposedly using the BAD LIGHTING MODEL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
iquIIS9y7ZS6e.jpg

Nabs

That might be but it was evident, because Falcom released those games on already half-dead handhelds.

I think both plattforms are good though and I doubt Falcom will shift from one to the other.

But they arent really developing for consoles (besides the Sen no Kiseki games). It seems their main plattfom was PSP and Vita before.

Oh I'm just talking about PC threads in general. I can't figure out why anyone would be salty over Falcom doing well. It's a win for everyone.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's more like they're trying to justify their investment in a console in any way possible, even if it's with completely wrong information ("I want to play on my couch/tv!", "You can't beat the price of a console versus a computer", "I don't want to fiddle with hardware or files or settings", "MP population is terrible lol", "MMOs don't count").

And when you show them the facts they completely ignore it.

I have just beaten Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, and overall I really enjoyed the game. But, I didn't care too much for the lightsaber combat. Do the later sequels improve the lightsaber combat by much, or is it about the same?
Absolutely! Can't even describe how good the swordplay is. Fantastic! Coupled with the very good weapon arsenal and fun force powers, the game is a classic. One of the best!

Visuals might not have held up obviously. I find them good enough though.
Found this open-world, indie, dinosaur hunting game while I was browsing Imgur. Jawmuncher should be ecstatic.

http://imgur.com/gallery/IkBTL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1_ogs5bJw
For those wondering - like I did >_> - the name of the game is Carnivores: Reborn.
Apparently it is out on PS3 since a couple years under the Name Carnivores: HD. So the game is finished and needs only porting.
[...]started a Kickstarter, which unfortunately failed, raising only about a third of the funds. This has led the devs to cut planned things from the game[...]
This part has me wondering if the failed KS leads to content getting cut which is in the console version or extra content planned for PC?
[...]which supposedly will be May 25th[...]
Also, wow the game is coming soon! How is there no Steampage already?

Here a fun gif.
1e7da2.gif

Looks and reads like the best dinosaur game I've ever heard of.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Enclave -- MB-4853BD2C5BBCCEFF - Taken by Vlad. 1 entrants total.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat -- MB-76633B7809F102E8 - Taken by didamangi. 7 entrants total.
Two Worlds II -- MB-21FBD583FF77575E - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 3 entrants total.
Two Worlds Epic Edition -- MB-93F96D3580D2D569 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Septerra Core Legacy of the Creator -- MB-83C5DA86A6E1353E - Taken by GaussTek. 5 entrants total.

t1431059424z1.png

Bloodborne coop is pretty crap

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163104430&postcount=5621

Never had this issue with DKS2 on PC.

bloodborne co op is fucking trash. i stood in front of the 2nd boss for like a solid 5 minutes and no one ever showed up and I have yet to see a single sign to help someone. who ever thought of the system for this one should not be in charge in coming up with the co op mechanics for the next game because (s)he clearly has literally 0 idea what (s)he is doing.

bloodborne co op is fucking trash. i stood in front of the 2nd boss for like a solid 5 minutes and no one ever showed up and I have yet to see a single sign to help someone. who ever thought of the system for this one should not be in charge in coming up with the co op mechanics for the next game because (s)he clearly has literally 0 idea what (s)he is doing.
Seeing these reports on the coop, i think i'm glad that i was only able to play the game solo. The Ps4 was borrowed from a friend, and he doesnt have PS+.

Just tried 3D Mark 11 and Unigine Valley.

Boy are they gorgeous. Especially the underwater scenes in 3D Mark :O Oh my God. It looked so good, the rust, the tessellation.

Unigine Valley reminded me so much of Witcher 3. Forests, Mountains in the back, even the colors in some scenes!

Thanks to Doc Dogg I installed Afterburner and have the OSD running. Really cool to see so much detailed info. GPU was constantly at +95% load during benches.

Neat stuff. Downloaded many demos and benches. Some cool demoscene stuff as well. Gonna try them out tomorrow.

Seeing these reports on the coop, i think i'm glad that i was only able to play the game solo. The Ps4 was borrowed from a friend, and he doesnt have PS+.

well solo is the only way to play bloodborne. the only multiplayer aspect in the game is watching the ghosts of other players and the messages. there is no co op or pvp, the developers and sony would tell you otherwise but from my experience and my friends who have beaten the game thats just bs.

well solo is the only way to play bloodborne. the only multiplayer aspect in the game is watching the ghosts of other players and the messages. there is no co op or pvp, the developers and sony would tell you otherwise but from my experience and my friends who have beaten the game thats just bs.

It does feel that way...it's sad though, because some of the PvP fights are amazing. really curious on how they were able to break the multiplayer aspect this way, seeing it was fine on souls games.

Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne

Team B made coop fun.
Such fun times were had on DS2 <3 Soul Memory sucks though.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't care about co-op in Dark Souls and Bloodborne I just like the messages on the floor for the most part, but I haven't played DS2 so no comment on that one in particular.

That is extremely disappointing to hear :(

Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne

Team B made coop fun.

i only played like 2 hours of dark souls 2 but i do remember getting invaded like twice and was able to co op a boss(don't remember which) so its online aspect is automatically a million times better than bloodborne's cause it actually freaking works. i feel that not enough people call out sony and from software on their shit job on the online aspect of bloodborne, especially since its a 1st party game

I don't care about co-op in Dark Souls and Bloodborne I just like the messages on the floor for the most part, but I haven't played DS2 so no comment on that one in particular.

thats perfectly fine but in bloodborne you pretty much don't even have the option of seeking out help or helping others, or even pvping. no one on my friends list has ever gotten co op to work. yes, i've asked nearly everyone on my friends list who has played bloodborne if they've gotten co op/invading to work and all of them told me that they've never gotten invaded or able to host a co op session, no one has even seen a sign to be summoned. some of them have completed the game too by the way, one of them completed it like 3 times.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Co-op is amazing in Dark Souls 1/2. Shame Sony ruined it in Bloodborne. I would be pissed if I had pre-ordered BB and got a PS+ subscription for my PS4 just for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom