• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadGear

Blizzard vs Valve is a weird debate. At least back in the 90's, Epic vs id made more sense.

For me and my friends UT and Quake always perfectly coexisted, for us this debate was always about arena shooters vs Counter Strike. I learned to like CS after some time but at first I was pretty much just a stubborn fanboy.

zkylon

zkylewd
ass unity is $8 on nuuvem (uplay) and doesn't say south america/brazil only

pretty tempted, tho i didn't really enjoy what i played of ass 4 too much and i doubt unity will run great on my computer

but that's like really really cheap

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

pretty tempted, tho i didn't really enjoy what i played of ass 4 too much and i doubt unity will run great on my computer

If you have <3GB VRAM, don't bother. Also, if you have <8GB RAM, don't bother.

The game runs well if you've the V/RAM to spare, but scale well it does not.

Salsa

get Syndicate. im playing it and it's good

like actual good

zkylon

zkylewd
If you have <3GB VRAM, don't bother. Also, if you have <8GB RAM, don't bother.

The game runs well if you've the V/RAM to spare, but scale well it does not.
i think my card has 4vram but i'm not sure if it's serious 4 or like those situations in which it says it's 4 but it's actually 2 scaled up or something crazy like that

i'm getting my 16 gigs of ram next week so that's covered

get Syndicate. im playing it and it's good

like actual good
i play it more than anything for the setting and london just sounds boring

it's like ass 4, ppl swear by it but to me the caribbean is super lame in comparison to like civil war america and jerusalem and stuff

and like french revolution stuff is super duper cool

but if unity runs like crap and syndicate works i might have to skip unity

Salsa

i play it more than anything for the setting and london just sounds boring

it's like ass 4, ppl swear by it but to me the caribbean is super lame in comparison to like civil war america and jerusalem and stuff

and like french revolution stuff is super duper cool

but if unity runs like crap and syndicate works i might have to skip unity

Syndicate runs way better on more mid-range machines

it also looks a bit worse in some edges

im running it at total steady 30fps with almost all on Max on a 2GB Vram card

Someone keeps calling me from a restricted number. Now they are leaving messages and I cannot contact them because it is restricted.

I have no option now but to harvest personal info from their messages and start stalking them.

JaseC

Yeah, Syndicate is kinder to mid-range systems, but you most definitely want to avoid Unity if you don't have more than 2GB VRAM (it's the game that compelled me to upgrade from a pair of 2GB 670s to a 4GB 980, which probably doesn't come as a surprise). I can't remember the last time my dGPU VRAM was mixed in with my iGPU reserved RAM, so I assume you're safe on that front, zky^10.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the safe bet is to not buy anything and just play ass 4

i wish it didn't have all that abstergo crap

for some reason i hated it even more than the seriously awful desmond segments on 3

JaseC

I wanna play Doom so bad im probably gonna start Wolfenstein again to see if I can get it to not run like shit

PCGH's benchmarks put the 670 at ~40fps with the Ultra preset at 1080p, but some folks in the PC performance thread have reported noticeable stuttering with 2GB VRAM. If you have an X1 or PS4, I'd go with that.

Nordicus

Playing Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 since GOG gave free copies long time ago.

After my first 2 hours of marine campaign I need to change my pants.

The game is impressive, and impressively scary, even today.

I cheated and read the plot synopses of Ass Creed after 3 and it just got more and more bizzare.

If you are going to serialize a SP game you need to buff that narrative.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Q3 = UT

Yes. I'm weird.
I agree. Played both for years. UT has more diversity, Q3 is more pure. They are equal with the only exception of what mood you're in. I played UT more and got absolutely disgustingly good at it, but that was only because the purity of Q3 meant my connection often wasn't where I wanted it to be for the game. It was preferred for LAN parties tho.

Salsa

update: it runs okay. not perfect cause idtech5 will forever remain a fucking mistery

probably time to play Wolfenstein

PCGH's benchmarks put the 670 at ~40fps with the Ultra preset at 1080p, but some folks in the PC performance thread have reported noticeable stuttering with 2GB VRAM. If you have an X1 or PS4, I'd go with that.

everyone seems to have a different issue with that engine

I just played for 10 mins from where I was and it's 60 with drops, which sucks on an FPS but at this point eh good enough

unless you're talking about Doom

JaseC

AssCreed 3 is terrible.

I started playing it and thought, "Why am I playing this?"

I finished it and thought, "Why I did play through all of it?"

I started playing the DLC and thought, "Why am I playing this?"

I finished it and thought, "Why did I play through all of it?"

I did have more fun with the DLC than the base game, though, so there's that.

I love you, AssCreed. Come back to me!

I just played for 10 mins from where I was and it's 60 with drops, which sucks on an FPS but at this point eh good enough

unless you're talking about Doom

Yeah, Doom.

Arthea

AssCreed 3 is terrible.

I started playing it and thought, "Why am I playing this?"

I finished it and thought, "Why I did play through all of it?"

I started playing the DLC and thought, "Why am I playing this?"

I finished it and thought, "Why did I play through all of it?"

I did have more fun with the DLC than the base game, though, so there's that.

I love you, AssCreed. Come back to me!

if this real, this is the end of era for Ubi, they as well can pack it up and leave
only why are you playing 3 now?

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually liked ass 3

like, it's not a great game and the desmond stuff is terrible but i liked the characters in the animus side a lot and the setting was interesting and the ship stuff is enjoyable but not as prominent as in 4 so it's a lot less annoying

JaseC

if this real, this is the end of era for Ubi, they as well can pack it up and leave
only why are you playing 3 now?

I'm not. In fact, 3 was the first AssCreed game that I pre-ordered!

Edit: Oh, wait, scratch that; I pre-ordered Revelations.

Ruruja

Assassin's Creed III never seems to be 75% off anymore, all the others are but never that one, it's very strange.

EDIT: I knew I'd be proven wrong now, thanks Gamersgate. Although it isn't a Steam version (does it really matter?)

Red Hood

Banned
Assassin's Creed III never seems to be 75% off anymore, all the others are but never that one, it's very strange.

I've never seen AC2 go less than 50% on Steam. Base price of 9,99 and always 4,99 during sales, not a penny less. The only one I'm interested in replaying again, first time on PC, besides maybe Brotherhood.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
man i'm discovering everyone has a really petty hate of blizzard these days

i think the last blizz game i had played was warcraft 3 so i didn't know this was a thing

it's really funny
But I like Blizzard. I liked Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2.

¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Bionic Commando Rearmed -- MB-59B09EE4142BEEE6 - Taken by Gez
STRIDER -- MB-A288FF137F01B7FD - Taken by Regginator
Resident Evil Revelations 2 Episode 1 Penal Colony -- MB-494D1B5AA078413D - Taken by hohoXD123

Salsa

oh right remembered another super cool thing about Wolfenstein

in-game vsync is adaptive and forcing it through panel has a shit ton of mouse lag

bleghhh

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I only ever played AC2 then ACU and the latter was far worse. There was 20x too much padding but you basically had to actually do 3/4 of it to be strong enough for the story missions to not get annoyingly hard. They improved swordplay but nerfed the ability to run up a wall 6 feet and dive assassinate in the middle of a brawl, which totally sucks. Then they added a bunch of goddamn snipers and in larger fights dudes always pull out pistols while you're busy with someone else, so every mission in the second half could only be finished in the exact same process of going around the perimeter and slowly spiraling in picking off dudes. By time you actually kill your mark the entire courtyard is riddled with bodies and the whole concept of being an assassin is gone.

I heard Brotherhood is like AC2 but with even more diversity in how you can choose to off your marks, so I've been thinking of picking that up. I have Black Flag on Xbone GwG but it's a big download so I haven't bothered yet.

Salsa

it does a very weird thing too

Vsync is apparently adaptive (meaning you gotta reach the framerate or it tears) when you set customed graphic options

if you leave it at a pre-set (max is High, even tho there are higher settings) vsync seems to work fine?

so its either playing on High or Max with forced Vsync and input lag

what a weird fucking engine

iosefe

guys, give me a reason to/not to get FFX for PC right now

for context, i own the Vita and PS4 versions of it, i just hit end game in my save and haven't started X-2

Uzzy

WJyazFn.png

Sentient AI research is dangerous? Pfft, what could possibly go wrong.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not sure if it was discussed here or not, but it appears that VplGhost stopped updating Steam Inventory Helper, and has (apparently) sold the rights to CSGOFast, a skin betting website.

Reddit discussion here w/emails from VplGhost.

I thought people should know, since the extension is super popular combined with the fact that there was no official announcement.

Phawx

I'm not sure if it was discussed here or not, but it appears that VplGhost stopped updating Steam Inventory Helper, and has (apparently) sold the rights to CSGOFast, a skin betting website.

I thought people should know, since the extension is super popular combined with the fact that there was no official announcement.

Do you recommend another solution?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
watching the QL, Doom looks cool actually. not 60€ cool, but little is for me these days

Kiru

if anyone here is using SIH, you should read this post https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/4j4wbw/vplghost_creator_of_the_steam_inventory_helper/

SIH is now at the hands of a cs:go gamble site

I guess Lynx' shouldn't have shortened it to SIH. Post got ignored lol.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do you recommend another solution?

No other extension I'm aware of has the same number of features by a long shot. As such, I can't really recommend a replacement, but it would probably be prudent to archive your own copy of the extension and side-load it in Chrome, then remove the version from the store. This will let you keep the existing version without receiving any future updates.

I'm not saying future updates WILL be bad, but the potential is there for them to turn malicious.

I guess Lynx' shouldn't have shortened it to SIH. Post got ignored lol.

haha yep I missed that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom