• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be Klei.
Happy birthday Grumpy McGrump!

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c7e40187970b-800wi

T'was yesterday.
I got an open box Geforce 970 for a great price.

For the first time, I can play everything on Steam I own. Everything. And it can max damn well near everything.

My life has changed forever.
Very nice. Congrats and I hope you'll have plenty fun playing new and replaying old games with a new view ;)
So I managed to drag myself away from Bravely Second (I beat the main game that is) long enough to play the game FreshVeggie got me for my birthday: Momodora III.

I will preface this by saying that I do play action platformers from time to time, but I'm not very good at them, and I don't really have a lot of patience to "git gud" at them. They're not my favourite genre, but they're not my least favourite, either. So take these impressions with all that in mind.

The story: You play one of two characters, Momo or (Isa)Dora, and some witch of death is causing mischief or something, and you have to stop her I guess...it's not very clear, but in a game like this I'm sure it doesn't really matter. Maybe it's explained in Momodora I and II...not really sure.

The graphics: Simplistic and stylistic. Pixelly but nice. The character portraits are cute without trying to leave a window open to be creepy about it. They reminded me a bit of Touhou...but not TOO-hou, is what I mean to say. The backgrounds all get the point across and aren't too distracting.

The controls: Very tight. I knew that falling into a pit was my own fault, and cursed my own clumsiness often.

The bosses: Well, I played it on normal, and some were nicely challenging, making you learn the pattern so you could beat it fairly, but some were just "run up, attack, and facetank." When I got greedy for hits and discovered that worked, I wasn't sure how to feel. I also missed a hidden boss or something...maybe that one is tougher.

The music and audio: The music is charming. The sound effects are little more than whooshes, dull thumps and squeaks. At least the music makes up for it.

The length: It took me a little over an hour (the end time said 57 minutes and 87.50% completion, the Steam time said 73 minutes.) There probably is some replayability, though: you can play as the other character, you can try hard mode, you can try to get the achievement that says "beat the game in less than 25 minutes," that sort of thing.

The verdict: A charming, fun distraction that doesn't require too much investment. Is it worth the C$4.49 in the Steam store? ...If you're a big platform fan and a completionist, I'd say yes. Otherwise, look for it in bundles and play it if you get it. Was it a good birthday present? Absolutely yes. Thanks again, Veggie!
I kind of knew from here that Momodora series games are on the shorter side but only a bit over an hour? That I did not know.
I'm glad you had fun. That's what counts o/
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 8.5. This release includes the following changes:
  • Added dynamic store data to wishlist pages
  • Added a button to profile backgrounds in your inventory to set them as your background with a single click
  • Added release date information for unreleased games on wishlist pages
  • Added a media slider to store and workshop pages to expand the screenshots and movies section
  • Added an "Add to your wishlist" button on other people's wishlist pages
  • Added an option to skip the "Got Steam" dialog on store pages
  • Added a link to the web chat to the Community dropdown menu when logged in
  • Added highlighting and tagging options for items marked as "Not Interested"
  • Added a button to toggle HD playback of videos on app pages
  • Added a button to profile background market pages to preview that background on your own profile
  • Changing view options on the badges page no longer requires a page reload
  • Improved performance of continuous scolling feature
  • Changing sorting options on wishlist pages will no longer cause the page to reload
  • Fixed a bug where some functions weren't working correctly for users who hadn't configured a custom URL
  • Fixed a bug that caused the "New on Steam" section's visibility on the homepage not to toggle
  • Fixed a bug that would occur when trying to leave multiple groups if there was an error on the page
  • Fixed a bug that caused the homepage carousel to not display correctly until it scrolled past the first item
  • Fixed a bug where adding games to your wishlist from the community hub would result in an error
This update is available for Google Chrome and should update itself automatically within the next 60 minutes. The beta version of the Firefox extension is now available on the website.

As always, please let me know if you encounter any issues with this release.
TNFxNML.gif

Dang, it's even cooler than I imagined. Wow I'm probably gonna use Chrome a bit more until August, haha. Great, great work.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where is that gif from?

haha I'm not sure honestly... in my case it came from Google images. I think after some googling her name is Elisha Cuthbert and it's from a show called Happy Endings.

zkylon

zkylewd
human resource machine is pretty cool but it's a nightmare if you're like an actual programmer

like everyday things are complicated puzzles here, it's driving me nuts

rtcn63

Uncharted 3 begins with you using "melee" (think a simplified version found in the Arkham games), and even has forced encounters in the middle of gun fights where you have to trade blows for a lot longer than you'll ever want.

Melee is bad. While moving from set piece to set piece, you'll feel inclined to melee the first enemy that ambushes you, which usually leads to the other five guys who've magically appeared getting shots off of you. On Hard, this generally means an instant death. You're better off breaking away from the hand-to-hand and just unloading bullets.

Also your PS4 controller light goes from yellow to red every time you die, then back to blue to yellow. It's both pointless and annoying. Like no shit I just fell off a roof I don't need an LED to tell me.

Corpekata

Banned
Melee in the Uncharted series sucks in general. Playing UC4 and there's already been a few brawls that just go on forever, and there's no interesting mechanics involved. Feels like they wanted to show off their animations more than anything.

rtcn63

You think they're would've foregone the melee this gen, or at least made it more interesting.

Playing Uncharted reminds me of how badly Rise of the Tomb Raider fucked up. TR2013 was legitimately a better playing Uncharted game, a true successor in everything but story and blonde-haired journalists named Elena. Well except for the inclusion of detective vision, although admittedly enemies can be hard to see in Uncharted when you're running through a dark building and everything is on FIRE. Then ROTR came and decided that making a game that was significantly, maddeningly, egregiously easier and less memorable than TR2013 or any Uncharted was where the series needed to be.

mp1990

Banned
Melee in the Uncharted series sucks in general. Playing UC4 and there's already been a few brawls that just go on forever, and there's no interesting mechanics involved. Feels like they wanted to show off their animations more than anything.
Honestly, I've never seen Uncharted as anything more than a graphic showcase, besides marveling at the beautiful scenarios and animations there's not much point on playing the series, the rest doesn't pay off (granted, some people really enjoy the narrative and seeing the cast interacting with each other, though I always found it to be awfully common place). That said, TLOU was a hell of a improvement compared to the former NG games in the same genre, and I still haven't checked out U4.

rtcn63

I'm watching GI's Doom test chamber (the first hour of the game). Not a big fan of weapon wheels. Just being able to hotkey your favorite guns to the d-pad would make things flow so much better. Relics like Borderlands and RE5 had it, among others.

And man those glory kills must get tiresome. I know they're technically an option, but you're rewarded for doing them so.

Unai

Since the latest patch messed up Dark Souls 3, I've decided to finally play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chenobyl is the one that I have to start with, right? (I've already have all of them)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Tic toc Corpekata. These robot crocodiles are getting mighty hungry

KingKong

Is anyone else having an issue with Doom not having the community stuff working? It doesn't show up in profile as played and when I try to view the achievements it just loads my profile page

def sim

Is anyone else having an issue with Doom not having the community stuff working? It doesn't show up in profile as played and when I try to view the achievements it just loads my profile page

Yeah, some people were asking about that in the performance thread and JaseC had this to say:

The app still has the section_type = ownersonly flag applied, which limits the public display of community activity.

Thinking back, the Nova mission packs feel like Blizzard's last attempt to keep StarCraft 2 relevant.

Man the ending sucked, fuck Chris Metzen.

jshackles

I have to admit i'm loving the screens and lists filled with NOT INTERESTED more than I thought I would.

I can only imagine what it looks like for people with tons of stuff marked already.

It's the content I find ridiculous.

My interest in FFXV PC has now flat lined due to that gif.

Come on Grief, don't stop believing. As a super-fan of the series, even I can admit that Lightning Returns is downright ridiculous.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That gif is awesome. Im too old to be angsty about silly things. You want to pose in a mountain top with sunglasses you go right ahead Lightning

It's not that Klei ran over your dog, it's that they didn't leave a note commemorating the event.

Clever.

But I think it'd be more like they said they'd never run over a dog, but when someone gave them enough money they were glad to do so. When people came to them asking for the vet bills, they ignored the requests and maintained they never ran over any dogs it must've been someone else.

Or something like that... there's no exact correlation to the running over a dog analogy, but this is about the best I could come up with without wasting a ton of time.

Happy birthday Grumpy McGrump!

6a00d83451b36c69e201b7c7e40187970b-800wi

T'was yesterday.
I still don't know why you believe this... but say, just for a moment, there was some truth to what you say... then this might be applicable:

This gif is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

This is certainly saying something; as I think we all know, Grief.exe knows a thing or two about ridiculous things... ;)

Maybe if we like you, we'll port game pad controls to Invisible, Inc PC, but fuck you give us more money.

Best part of that PS4 port -- they get the gamepad support people have been asking for day 1 and the Contingency Plan DLC for $4 less than you pay on Steam ($19.99 on PSN, $23.99 on Steam); and this isn't even factoring in that you could've preordered it on PS4 for $18 instead of $20.

Salsa

been trying to force AA on Wolfenstein and it's a headache

there's a launch setting but it reverts every time you die

I can force it through Inspector but see no difference really, and apparently it doesnt cover all edges?

also enabling it disables screen space reflections

idtech5 toogood

im just gonna plow through this thing fast. game's very good at least

just really ugly when you're not moving

pahamrick

It's not that Klei ran over your dog, it's that they didn't leave a note commemorating the event.

There was a videogame studio called My Dog?

Clever.

But I think it'd be more like they said they'd never run over a dog, but when someone gave them enough money they were glad to do so. When people came to them asking for the vet bills, they ignored the requests and maintained they never ran over any dogs it must've been someone else.

Or something like that... there's no exact correlation to the running over a dog analogy, but this is about the best I could come up with without wasting a ton of time.

I still don't know why you believe this... but say, just for a moment, there was some truth to what you say... then this might be applicable:

This is certainly saying something; as I think we all know, Grief.exe knows a thing or two about ridiculous... ;)

As someone who recently joined the Klei hate train, lemme tag myself in here Frosty.

Leave a note? You run over dogs often? Sounds like something you'd do.

No, Klei promised they'd never run over someone's dog (No achievements, our artistic vision, blah blah blah) Then some prick comes along, and pays enough money for them to run over someone's dog (Sony, or you -- you'd probably do something like that "Sorry I hit your dog, I was too busy texting on my phone."), so I ask them to pay the vet bills (port the achievements over to the PC version) but instead they insinuate they did nothing wrong and it's all Sony / Your fault that the dog was run over so fuck off, you're SOL.

Maybe if we like you, we'll port game pad controls to Invisible, Inc PC, but fuck you give us more money.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Jesus Christ guys you aren't going to make this dog running over analogy work with Klei.

Oh, looks like I didn't get the memo that it was bickering day.

Wolf graphic settings are really confusing so I'm going to write them a very scathing review.

pahamrick

Jesus Christ guys you aren't going to make this dog running over analogy work with Klei.

I dunno, I think it's pretty close. If I felt like being artistic I could probably work up an analogy using Klei and begging for free months of cable, but that feels like too much mental gymnastics to perform for a tired mind right now. :p

Oh, looks like I didn't get the memo that it was bickering day.

Wolf graphic settings are really confusing so I'm going to write them a very scathing review.

It's always bickering day. Something or someone is usually getting shit on in here. We'll be sure to send a memo next time though.

Best part of that PS4 port -- they get the gamepad support people have been asking for day 1 and the Contingency Plan DLC for $4 less than you pay on Steam ($19.99 on PSN, $23.99 on Steam); and this isn't even factoring in that you could've preordered it on PS4 for $18 instead of $20.

Icing on the cake being they were promising gamepad support to launch alongside the PS4 version. Now the official response is "It's in the pipeline, we don't know when we'll get to it though."

I can hardly wait for achievements to die off. Such needless gamification, too restricting to be clever and too easy to be genuine accomplishments.

[Achievement Unlocked: Haterade]

Besides, ToME has won the achievement arms race. There's really no need to continue any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom