• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

whats a good 4X game to start with for a nub, that is NOT civ 5?

don't listen to those insane people that replied
CIvRev is the best for this, not on PC though

True, I already have a bunch of games with just one achievement that severely impacts my completion rate, BUT, it has also made me more careful to start a game that I'm not sure about, so now I play games that I'm most interested in and I also give games a longer chance once I've started, so it's still good in the end.

that's very admirable attitude, good luck
I myself tried to get to 50% completion rate, but it just not ment to be, stuck on 45% what it feels for ages.

Balthuk

Played Renowned Explorers for 4-5 hours. Game is pretty fun and it's refreshing talking your way out of trouble turn-based style. The devs also had a pretty cool idea to include weekly challenges that inspire the community.
Every Wednesday is Weekly Challenge Wednesday, on which the previous week's challenge concludes, and the next week's challenge is presented. Every week we present you with some interesting constraints or inspiration for a new adventure
You can join the challenge either by posting your highscore or an actual short story on the game or both, which is amazing (the story part).
I tried my part at the highscore but as I soon realized some people are too good at the game. Still, I might still write something to submit and I appreciate the devs encouraging the community like that. It could work very well in games like xcom or sunless sea.

--
Not steam related, I tried playing Heroes of the Storm after a long long time after a friend asked me to. Game options defaulted to ultra graphics I believe. Couldn't hold 60fps, dropped to like high. Still couldn't.
Long story short, had to drop to mid/low in order to get stable 60fps, and that was the game running at like 110fps. Still, the point above mid/low was too much for 60 fps. That felt weird. Also scrolling the camera through the map dropped my framerate by something like 15.
i5 4460-r9 280-8gb ram
It's not really an issue since I won't be playing the game regurarly but still.

Tizoc

Just beat UC4
Good fucking riddance
Game really dragged at the end. Disliked any time I had to shooty bang people, and it really should've been a straight up adventure game with less climbing on walls and the final battle should've been a traditional QTE.

Humor got stale by the end; these people can't go 2 minutes without saying a funny quip.

This game really is like golf; a good walk spoiled.

Monooboe

that's very admirable attitude, good luck
I myself tried to get to 50% completion rate, but it just not ment to be, stuck on 45% what it feels for ages.

Thanks.:D Yeah I was stuck on 25% for something like four months.o_O So my goal of 33% this year seems pretty impossible, unless I find a bunch of short games that are easily to 100%.

AHA-Lambda

Just beat UC4
Good fucking riddance
Game really dragged at the end. Disliked any time I had to shooty bang people, and it really should've been a straight up adventure game with less climbing on walls and the final battle should've been a traditional QTE.

Humor got stale by the end; these people can't go 2 minutes without saying a funny quip.

This game really is like golf; a good walk wasted.

A true walking simulator then.

Yeah, I have to say I felt similar. UC4 is a nice game, I like the characters as always, it's well made but man the formula is stale now.

Jawmuncher

Just beat UC4
Good fucking riddance

This game really is like golf; a good walk wasted.

Shooting people wasn't very often in that game so I don't see how if bothered you.

Tizoc

Shooting people wasn't very often in that game so I don't see how if bothered you.

It bothered me by the fact that it exists to begin with. Any time I reach an area which is a combat area, I'd sigh and just pray I can get this over with as soon as possble.
Could not stand them.
This is heavily apparent when you spend what an hour merely running through areas and 'platforming' only to reach a wide open space with boxes to hide behind and shooty bang at mooks.

Ruruja

This is a weird one.

Batman Arkham Knight is showing as uninstalled for me, even though I played it last night and I haven't uninstalled it, it's still there in the steamapps folder and Steam is still set up to read that folder. I've restarted Steam and it's still the same - shall I try clicking Install and seeing if it finds all the files again?

EDIT: looks like it's finding the files on Install, should be fine.

Jawmuncher

It bothered me by the fact that it exists to begin with. Any time I reach an area which is a combat area, I'd sigh and just pray I can get this over with as soon as possble.
Could not stand them.
This is heavily apparent when you spend what an hour merely running through areas and 'platforming' only to reach a wide open space with boxes to hide behind and shooty bang at mooks.

Can easily say I was the opposite, hated running around and exploring. With the few combat scenarios being the only highlights to the game for me. I always find it odd that people see UC1-3 as these adventure games when really they were TPS game with some light platforming and exploring. UC4 is the first game to do a 180 on that design.

It's why I stand by that ROTTR is the more fun game. The pacing there is much better balanced. For someone who wants more action during their main campaign anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I see the story in Transistor is as incomprehensible as the one in Bastion. Dat art tho, gorgeous game. Gameplay is kinda weird, but kinda cool. Im not using the time stop thing much so I guess im playing it wrong lol

Balthuk

human resource machine is pretty cool but it's a nightmare if you're like an actual programmer

like everyday things are complicated puzzles here, it's driving me nuts

You reminded me I won this game recently from a giveaway here so I installed it and gave it a go. It reminds me of learning assembly and being frustrated by simple things not being simple after all. And studying programming, I feel like I shouldn't get stuck on any level for too long. Yet I might have already? Still, cool so far.
I should study for my actual courses though >>

AHA-Lambda

Actually speaking on disappointment, anyone been playing Banner Saga 2?

I understand it's a direct sequel of course but the plot really seems to require a fresh appreciation of the prior game's events (the recap and import really aren't sufficient in that regard), and it' hard to engage in the events going on.

Aside from that the combat is just the same.
Glad I got in on that GMG cashback offer for it really =/

I see the story in Transistor is as incomprehensible as the one in Bastion. Dat art tho, gorgeous game. Gameplay is kinda weird, but kinda cool. Im not using the time stop thing much so I guess im playing it wrong lol
I stopped playing halfway, couldn't get into the semi strategy mechanic

Tizoc

Can easily say I was the opposite, hated running around and exploring. With the few combat scenarios being the only highlights to the game for me. I always find it odd that people see UC1-3 as these adventure games when really they were TPS game with some light platforming and exploring. UC4 is the first game to do a 180 on that design.

It's why I stand by that ROTTR is the more fun game. The pacing there is much better balanced. For someone who wants more action during their main campaign anyway.

Good points, UC4 was the first time in the series where I find it's adventure aspect more than its Cover TPS aspect.
Agreed on Rise of Toom Braider as well, that game's Bow and Arrow was the best part of it.
Though if I were to go into more detail I'd say even RotTR has its (many) flaws with the bow and arrow being the one good thing about it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I stopped playing halfway, couldn't get into the semi strategy mechanic

im liking it but im pretty shit at it. I already died once, well I didnt die, I lost one of my skills? Game is weird

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the ending of Transistor satisfied most of my questions about the story. It's definitely a bit abstract up to that point though.

Actually speaking on disappointment, anyone been playing Banner Saga 2?

I understand it's a direct sequel of course but the plot really seems to require a fresh appreciation of the prior game's events (the recap and import really aren't sufficient in that regard), and it' hard to engage in the events going on.

Aside from that the combat is just the same.
Glad I got in on that GMG cashback offer for it really =/
I preordered it a while ago, haven't got the time to dive into it. Combat is mostly the same, however the character skills are much more useful in this game. How's the story?

AHA-Lambda

I preordered it a while ago, haven't got the time to dive into it. Combat is mostly the same, however the character skills are much more useful in this game. How's the story?

Well that's my chief problem, it's just kind of there.

And I don't think it helps me I've not played BS1 in ages, but I'm hardly alone in that.

EDIT: jesus that UC4 eurogamer thread, even evilore had to make a comment on it =/

Saty

How many failures does Nintendo need to suffer in order to open a store on PC? Keep making the console hardware for those that want it but also expand to a whole new audience w\o the need to 'go 3rd party' and not be in control or give others companies a slice of their money.

How many failures does Nintendo need to suffer in order to open a store on PC? Keep making the console hardware for those that want it but also expand to a whole new audience w\o the need to 'go 3rd party' and not be in control or give others companies a slice of their money.

I hope none. I didnt buy a WiiU, but Nintendo is the only one imo bringing games that you dont find on PC. Uncharted? Tomb Raider. Gears of War? Gears of War. Halo? Thousands of other FPS.

I dont understand why so many people want Nintendo to go 3rd party, when actually their games are the ones that are mostly different from what you can get on the other 2 consoles and PC.

Jawmuncher

I hope none. I didnt buy a WiiU, but Nintendo is the only one imo bringing games that you dont find on PC. Uncharted? Tomb Raider. Gears of War? Gears of War. Halo? Thousands of other FPS.

I dont understand why so many people want Nintendo to go 3rd party, when actually their games are the ones that are mostly different from what you can get on the other 2 consoles and PC.

If they went third party I could have master chief in smash bros

Rhaknar

holy crap Tembo The Badass Elephant is fantastic :eek:

If you've got the version from the Chrome Web Store installed, it should update automatically.

50gsoc3.gif

Thanks man.

Well that's my chief problem, it's just kind of there.

And I don't think it helps me I've not played BS1 in ages, but I'm hardly alone in that.

EDIT: jesus that UC4 eurogamer thread, even evilore had to make a comment on it =/
Would you say the story has progressed substantially?

Saty

Because Nintendo keeps making undesirable hardware with weak 3rd party support so i won't buy their consoles but will buy their games if they were on PC. I don't believe Nintendo will be happy to have from now on consoles that will sell like the Wii U did so really it's time they expand, and a store on PC is the best choice for their wants and needs.

I hope Nintendo's slow 'acceptance' of iOS\Android smartphones will also translate in them starting to put something on PC.

Fucking hell, bought NEDM err I mean DOOM from Funstock and now it's held on a additional fraud checking. I wonder how long that will take, I'd like to play the game tonight.

Pachimari

If I buy a Logitech G29, can I use a gear shifter from another brand when playing racing games on PC? Do I need a converter of some kind?

Saty

FF X\X-2 also don't show up on Steamspy. Guess it's the same deal as with Doom. Maybe pubs are starting to do so intentionally to keep the sale figures to themselves.

Messiah

FF X\X-2 also don't show up on Steamspy. Guess it's the same deal as with Doom. Maybe pubs are starting to do so intentionally to keep the sale figures to themselves.

That would be stupid, as it also prevents screenshots of those games showing up in the activity feed and I like to look at them :(

cyba89

I don't believe Nintendo will be happy to have from now on consoles that will sell like the Wii U did so really it's time they expand, and a store on PC is the best choice for their wants and needs.

Putting their games on PC would guarantee WiiU-like failures (or worse) for their console business so I don't see why that would be desirable for Nintendo.

Tizoc

Ninty has been in its closed ecosystem for years now
Bayonetta 2 for example is wasted away on the wii u
Having their titles on a platform such as steam or pc would be very benefical for them wince they do make good games

Saty

Putting their games on PC would guarantee WiiU-like failures (or worse) for their console business so I don't see why that would be desirable for Nintendo.

This goes back to the overlap issue so many argue with the XB1 and PS4. Most of the people who choose to buy a Nintendo console will continue to do so. The amount of overlap of Wii U and PC gamers who will just buy their games on PC if they were available is small and it will be dwarfed by the market of people who play on PC but don't buy Nintendo's consoles.

cyba89

This goes back to the overlap issue so many argue with the XB1 and PS4.

Not really comparable because these consoles have ThirdParty support and bigger online gaming focus (so people will buy the console their friends have).

Most of the people who choose to buy a Nintendo console will continue to do so.

So their console business will continue to produce WiiU-like failures that way.

Rhaknar

Play it in short bursts tho as each level can be rather long
Firthermore dont be concerned about completing stages quickly take your time

I just took a break after the first 5 levels in fact. Im also not replaying the levels to get everything, I did it on the first level but meh. Im trying to explore but if I miss something im moving on, the game is actually quite hard and I cba repeating the levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom