• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Sony's always insisted on the PS version of multiplatform titles having some kind of exclusive content. Are achievements the only thing that was added to the PS versions of Don't Starve?

That's not correct... Sony just requires all games to have a trophy set these days to be competitive with the MS platform.

im pretty sure achievements on ps4 are mandatory

can be like a the witness thing that the version without achievements is actually the definite one

They are mandatory. Which is something Klei knew when dealing with Sony before agreeing to make Don't Starve: Console Edition.

As far as The Witness goes, Blow didn't want as many trophies as Sony required, but apparently he wanted some as he still put 2 of them into the Steam release. I'm not a huge fan of this approach, but in my book it's still not as bad as the antics of Klei regarding Don't Starve. Also, I'm guessing by "definite" you meant "definitive", but I wouldn't agree with that. Definitive is usually used in media to denote the version with the best fidelity and the most complete package and by not providing parity with what was put out in the PS4, it leaves the PC version "missing" some of the content that exists in other versions.

The difference between what Blow did and what Klei did is that Blow never stated that achievements changed the way people played his game, meaning he isn't a giant hypocrit who wants to have his cake and eat it too.

No no, Sony is the same thing, just look at PC games that make it to PS4 down the line, usually in a somethingsomething edition.

Nope. This usually happens when a game is a late port and has had DLC. The only time there's usually exclusive content is if there's some sort of marketing deal for the multiplatform title (like the Arkham games on PS3/PS4) and in some cases, that DLC is usually released at a later date on other platforms (I'm guessing if the legal part of everything allows it and the developer/publisher think there's money to be made).

So yeah, when RotTR shows up on PS4, I'd bet that it's going to have all the DLC content and be marketed as something something edition... but the likelihood of CD/SE creating NEW exclusive content for that release is pretty minimal if not entirely non-existent (the team did randomly do something with "new tech" in the console 'definitive editions' and never port it back to PC, but that wasn't anything Sony mandated and it showed up on X1 as well).

Who cares about achievements? I mean honestly?

681485.jpeg

Not this again. Look, we can make it generic and it will apply to everyone... even you!

Who cares about <thing you care about that I don't>? I mean honestly?

I see the story in Transistor is as incomprehensible as the one in Bastion. Dat art tho, gorgeous game. Gameplay is kinda weird, but kinda cool. Im not using the time stop thing much so I guess im playing it wrong lol

Bastion's story wasn't really incomprehensible. It's not really complicated but still very solid. Transistor's is more abstract, but as Stallion points out, it mostly answers all questions by the end of the game.

Interesting... but I think I'll refrain from discussion here.

Most likely not well, mega texture doesn't run well with low VRAM, and that is a very weak card by modern standards.

What if he ran W:TNO and W:TOB alright?

They adddd non-lethal solutions to the bosses. They didn't count as kills in the original game because their fate is dictated by the cutscenes that follow the fights, but some people encountered them woefully under prepared and cried about it when it was hard.

Yeah, pretty much.
I was doing the non-lethal stuff on my way to platinum on my first playthrough (on hard) when I
hit Shanghai for the second time, got suckered into taking the 'upgrade', and then got thrown against Namir.

Almost made me put the game down because I thought I wasn't going to be remotely possible. I tried the glitch that was supposed to allow for you to stealth kill him, but couldn't get it to work... I just kept at it though and by the end of it, I ended up victorious. More adrenaline rush from that boss encounter than many of the Dark Souls bosses. Might've been hard, but it was still doable.

The part I liked the best before they added in the "non-lethal" methods was that I'm sure there are situations you can be put in where it's the embodiment of the old "kill or be killed" adage -- I always thought that kind of fit with the whole "I never asked for this" and the general nature/tone/themes of the game as well.

Anteater

i'm enjoying modern warfare on the steam controller so far

other than the part where my eyes start bleeding whenever I get shot and the blood splatter all over my vision

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
GMG changed their Doom giveaway to be open all week. Gonna be really shitty chances now but better than no chance for those who didn't make it in.

Jay Tholen

Neo Member
Well, I *was* getting back into Dropsy. Then I encountered a game-breaking bug. It'll require quite a bit of re-doing stuff to get back to where I was.

Checked the Steam forums on it. Turns out someone encountered the same bug. The developer said they'd look into it. Post was from last September.

Welp.

Hmm, I'm pretty certain that we fixed all bugs reported in September. Perhaps we didn't post in that thread, but they were all definitely addressed. Which bug is it, and what version of the game are you playing?

Anteater

where's dex

is doom running ok for you

i need to know because you have a 760 gtx

game seems to run like shit for people with a 7xx card in the doom performance thread

so much for a 300 dollar pc can run better than a console~!

Hmm, I'm pretty certain that we fixed all bugs reported in September. Perhaps we didn't post in that thread, but they were all definitely addressed. Which bug is it, and what version of the game are you playing?

Current content build: 962925

I had just finished Mousespionage, left the hospital, Dropsy and dog weren't there. Went back into the hospital, Dropsy and dog icons lit up but clicking them does nothing (as if they're invisible and can't interact with anything.)

Edit: And yes, it's cool that I'm getting customer service in SteamGAF. :)

Talk about service...

Did you just find his post by happenstance or do you normally read SteamGAF?

data

=o

steam actually can categorize your library by genre/tag/whatever in big picture mode

I wish Valve would make the desktop client more like the BPM, it looks way better and the way the categories works with it suggesting you unplayed games/recently bought games and games you have a few achievements left for is really neat. Also the design...

I wish Valve would make the desktop client more like the BPM, it looks way better and the way the categories works with it suggesting you unplayed games/recently bought games and games you have a few achievements left for is really neat. Also the design...
ugh, no, BPM is only okay for small libraries.
They need to improve the client performance and some usability issues, but the layout is okay.

Anteater

yeah, i'm not sure if it's better, but i found some features in bpm that isn't in the desktop client and vice versa, I wish they are more consistent

Arminsc

So I got Rocket League from the Monthly Bundle. First match I play we're tied 2-2 and there's 20 secs left and my teamate decides to score on our goal and we lose...

Awesome game anyway!

Phinor

Took me few days to realize/monitor the situation but the daily Humble Spring deals are not daily at all (or at least most of them are not). They just pick existing deals to promote on the main site and also change the timer from whatever it was until the end of the sale to 2 days. After the 2 day promotion is over, the timer goes back to lasting the whole sale. Price remains the same throughout. So basically what Steam did last year expect Humble also plays with those timers.

I think I might have run into the greatest Steam forum thread ever...

This is pretty fantastic. I actually learned to read on the advice of that thread.

But now that some peoples' posts are comprehensible, I'm starting to think that was a double-edged sword.

In Steam news, I don't know why I suck at Gungeon so badly. I grew up on Smash TV. My GAF pic is a dead Isaac thingy. I should be somewhere between that, and yet I admit wholly that I fucking suck. Why, GAF? Why?

Arthea

In Steam news, I don't know why I suck at Gungeon so badly. I grew up on Smash TV. My GAF pic is a dead Isaac thingy. I should be somewhere between that, and yet I admit wholly that I fucking suck. Why, GAF? Why?

you can come and sit on my lawn now. I'll tell you my success with exceed, geometry wars 3 and phoenix force.

To hide sales data

do you know this or just guessing?

because if it's true, I hope publishers won't catch up on this, I like having sales data...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

because if it's true, I hope publishers won't catch up on this, I like having sales data...

The flag should have been removed when the game unlocked in AU/NZ. Bethesda may be playing dumb for the sake of hiding data from SteamSpy (which would be stupid as Bethesda could request that the site not show any info for the app, but I digress), however Valve's going to catch wind of the issue eventually. Ubi seemingly tried much the same thing with Syndicate: the flag wasn't removed until ~five days after release.

Arthea

The flag should have been removed when the game unlocked in AU/NZ. Bethesda may be playing dumb for the sake of hiding data from SteamSpy, but Valve's going to catch wind of the issue eventually. Ubi seemingly tried much the same thing with Syndicate: the flag wasn't removed until ~six days after release.

thanks, good to know it's not here to stay

Salsa

wait these HD remasters of subpar Final Fantasy entries you're all losing your mind about run at 30fps?

bahaha you weirdos

Anteater

wait these HD remasters of subpar Final Fantasy entries you're all losing your mind about run at 30fps?

bahaha you weirdos

they all run at pretty shitty framerate, but pretty much better/on par with the framerate they were released in so it's not so bad

Jawmuncher

A solid 30FPS isn't really shitty though. Maybe not ideal in the realm of PC. But it would be different if it was crazy drops or single digits.

Nzyme32

To hide sales data

It could actually accurate. I think the expectation would be for Doom to have sold well on PC, but the poor reviews of the Multiplayer beta and lack of review copies has likely hurt the sales quite a bit - at least initially.

For example, Doom has yet to break into the top 10 on Steam's concurrent stats. Typically most of the successful "AAA" games have managed to do that at the very least for the first week before sliding down. It may be that they just want to give some extra time.

Of course it could easily be that they forgot to remove it

Any reason why FFX HD doesn't appear on Steamspy ? By the way, the game has more than 10K concurrent users right now, which is higher than FFIX, so we can expect higher sales.

It's also the second highest FF title with concurrent users, behind FFXIV which had an all time peak of 11k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom