• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

edit: hmm are the Ys games supposed to be very grindy? I noticed a little bit in Origins, but now in Felghana, I was hitting this Ruins boss for 1 (lol?) and I assumed it was one of those "oh I gotta lose because this guy is much stronger than me at this point in the story" but no, i just died and it was game over lol

Origins felt grindy if you chose higher difficulty

Sometimes, Dark Souls makes doing a boss retry run really easy by putting a bonfire or easy enemies very close.

And then there is whatever the fuck they did with Aldrich. Fuck this. The 'Shortcut' through the
Anor Londo
gates actually makes it harder because the Silver Knights are godless killing machines and will follow you into the depths of hell. Not to mention the priest fire guys and the balls of shit that drop from the ceiling.

I'm not having a good time.

Damn. I can never be that good. I just beat the story mode of that red haired girl and didnt have a clue what she talked about. Apparently she is 300 years old.

VhwMyR5.gif

Come on Bamco, Steam release when?

Last Update: 4 days ago.

Since the announcement of the Vita release date the Steam version gets updates every few days.

Phinor

Sometimes, Dark Souls makes doing a boss retry run really easy by putting a bonfire or easy enemies very close.

And then there is whatever the fuck they did with Aldrich. Fuck this. The 'Shortcut' through the
Anor Londo
gates actually makes it harder because the Silver Knights are godless killing machines and will follow you into the depths of hell. Not to mention the priest fire guys and the balls of shit that drop from the ceiling.

That's like a 30 second run in almost a straight line. Few dodges here and there. My biggest issue with these past few games has been how forgiving they are when it comes to many aspects of the game. Bonfires around every other corner and boss runs are so quick everywhere. They weren't always that long in the older games either but at least something like Gravelord Nito run took a little effort. I wasted days on some bosses in Dark Souls 1 because I hated the run to the boss. Give me more of that!

But I also agree. Different people have different nemesis in these games. Sometimes it's a simple run to the boss that no one else seems to have any trouble, sometimes it's an early boss you just fail to beat even though people say it's an easy one. Second boss in Bloodborne remains the hardest one in that game for me, including all the DLC bosses.

Nabs

Oath in Felghana is already a much better game than Origins even just 1 hour in, Origins feels like a side project compared to it :/

edit: worth buying weapons and armor in the store or do you pick up stuff as you play? Origin seemed to have a limited amount of gear that you got during the game and that was it, just want to make sure what im looking at here

edit: hmm are the Ys games supposed to be very grindy? I noticed a little bit in Origins, but now in Felghana, I was hitting this Ruins boss for 1 (lol?) and I assumed it was one of those "oh I gotta lose because this guy is much stronger than me at this point in the story" but no, i just died and it was game over lol

Buy/upgrade items. The game(s) expect you to be a certain level before the area boss. Just pay attention to the XP gain before a boss. If you're getting any meaningful xp, try leveling up. It's usually just one extra level or two.

That's like a 30 second run in almost a straight line. Few dodges here and there. My biggest issue with these past few games has been how forgiving they are when it comes to many aspects of the game. Bonfires around every other corner and boss runs are so quick everywhere. They weren't always that long in the older games either but at least something like Gravelord Nito run took a little effort. I wasted days on some bosses in Dark Souls 1 because I hated the run to the boss. Give me more of that!

But I also agree. Different people have different nemesis in these games. Sometimes it's a simple run to the boss that no one else seems to have any trouble, sometimes it's an early boss you just fail to beat even though people say it's an easy one. Second boss in Bloodborne remains the hardest one in that game for me, including all the DLC bosses.

I guess it's not a boss I'll be co-oping.

I really wanted Rage, so I traded the Melty Blood I won for Rage.

I understand this reference.

Lain

Oath in Felghana is already a much better game than Origins even just 1 hour in, Origins feels like a side project compared to it :/

edit: worth buying weapons and armor in the store or do you pick up stuff as you play? Origin seemed to have a limited amount of gear that you got during the game and that was it, just want to make sure what im looking at here

I completely disagree on Oath being better than Origins, but that's not important.
Ys games do place a certain importance on level (both of your character and the equipment) so yeah, if you're not in the right level range, Boss fights become increasingly difficult to the point of outright losing.

Li Kao

Could someone please remind me of the method used to kill the black bars between game arts in steam grid view ?

zkylon and jaw.

what.png

Anor Londo

Do enemies de-spawn in this one like they did in DS2?

I'm surprised that anyone would want long boss-runs, assuming that I am reading your post correctly. It is easily my least favourite part of the games, simply because how tedious it gets if you are struggling with a boss. I got stuck at S&O in DS1 for several hours, and running to the fog-gate was just mind-numbingly dull. It's not fun, and often it doesn't feel challenging, it just feels like you're wasting your time even when the boss-fight itself is exhilarating.

I'm not saying that I want bonfires every 5 feet, not at all, but I'd be happy if they were placed close to the fog-gates.

I don't remember the Nito run being particular bad, though.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oath isnt grabbing me as much as I thought it would from first impressions. Maybe its too soon after Origin

Jawmuncher

Somehow i liked the de-spawning enemies on DS2 more. I always found it better to have a clear way when the boss wiped the floor with me too often. But i guess thats just me...

I agree. The challenge to be the boss itself, not getting to the boss. Hell half the time I can just run past everything so making it easier wasn't a bad thing.

In DS3 you can actually also do that if you are a mage. In the end I just used the invisibility spell the whole time. It makes the normal enemies quite easy though. After you hit them, they try to find you, hit one time, then forget you ever existed.

Sarcasm

I agree. The challenge to be the boss itself, not getting to the boss. Hell half the time I can just run past everything so making it easier wasn't a bad thing.

Somehow i liked the de-spawning enemies on DS2 more. I always found it better to have a clear way when the boss wiped the floor with me too often. But i guess thats just me...

Except..shortcuts allow you to skip trash mobs. For the most part in DS3 I have been able to go from a bonfire to boss.

Manatox

In DS3 you can actually also do that if you are a mage. In the end I just used the invisibility spell the whole time. It makes the normal enemies quite easy though. After you hit them, they try to find you, hit one time, then forget you ever existed.

Sorry, but my warrior has too much STR pumped to it's brain, all he knows it HIT and CRUSH enemies. Casting invisibility equals like winning an award at mathematics for him. Oh, he's also too fat to run and roll when enemies chase him...

Except..shortcuts allow you to skip trash mobs. For the most part in DS3 I have been able to go from a bonfire to boss.

Dunno, haven't really found many shortcuts (i'm playing blind).

I can see what mean, personally I didn't think it was better or worse than how DS1 did it. I'm fine either way.

Amzin

I actually still play DoW1 sometimes, for all the glory of it. DoW2 I picked up in a bundle but haven't tried again since the demo turned me off from it, I'm sure I will eventually.

Sarcasm

I dunno exactly what I have fought or where I am at..or castle refers to which section. But if there isn't a shortcut I just run past.

Better then having to make enemies NG level in a non NG+ then when you go NG+ those becomes NG++ while you're still in NG+.

MUnited83

For you.
Better then having to make enemies NG level in a non NG+ then when you go NG+ those becomes NG++ while you're still in NG+.

Where does this happen exactly? Because you certainly don't use a ascetic if you want a easier fight to the boss lol

rtcn63

You guys need to master the art of running/rolling through/around mobs. As a coward, I have learned to become proficient with flipping off enemies on the way to a fog door while taking minimal damage.

Although the water Shrine-y place in DSII looks like absolute hell.

Have you fought Aldrich yet?

That boss run really wasn't that hard. Run up the stairs past one knight, go inside the building, stick to the left or right to avoid the dropping jelly things, and then one dash through the mages and you're at the fog wall. You might get dinged by a fireball or two if you're unlucky but that's the trade-off for not fighting anyone on the way. The mages have very little health so you can easily kill them and summon folks if there if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom