• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

Wow, going to back to Pillars of Eternity for the expansion almost one year after playing it the first time... I'm overleveled and I'm playing on easy and I still get my ass handed to me, totally forgot how to play the game.o_O

There were DOOM giveaways??

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.png

Card Boy

Banned
This Steam Authenticator thing is garbage for those of us with multiple people logging into the same or multiple machines. They couldn't even do a 'remember this computer' or anything?

Why am I awake?
I need to sleep.

It's almost 2am.

I have therapy tomorrow.

Why am I in therapy?

BECAUSE I'M GIVING AWAY TWO FREE COPIES OF ARMY OF TENTACLES! I MUST BE CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

army of tentacles -- MB-4981F222248AB3E3 - Taken by Hakkelus
army of tentacles #2 -- MB-9C29767A4FB165C4 - Taken by someguyinahat

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'll have you know we in kpop gaf have been on good behavior for years before these youngsters started spreading it around like we're the new popgaf. :p

Arthea

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287700/

Dunno if a bug or real price drop, but now Metal Gear Solid V is 30€ full price.

could it really be such a big drop in a base price so soon?
doubtful

edited: do we know about this SE collective game - Iron Tides (will be released on PC)

Customise and lead a Viking Warband (there are seven different playable classes) across beautiful procedurally generated islands, fight enemies and collect foreign plunder for resources. Then go on to tactically manage your resources, creating a bigger and better crew!
The developers say that the game is inspired by Faster Than Light with its genre-mash of survival, resource management and strategy. Alongside that is has snappy battle sequences, which have a resemblance to Fire Emblem.

YH5MSa2b3TwKTAkaC73A6h.jpg

howdy there good lookin

can't wait for Dishonored 2

I get what they're trying to do with the bruise stuff, and I respect the effort, but the shiny skin makes it look more like an oil slick than a bruise.

It's 40 on PSN too. It's a general MSRP drop.

Just checked in Canada. It's C$55 here, so I don't think the price has dropped yet...or they're taking the exchange rate more seriously now.

mp1990

Banned
Seems like Homefront: The Revolution is very poorly optimized on PC. I'm sorry for you
2 or 3
folks who preordered it.

Dice

For me artsyle from Dish 1 is better. This is more on realistic side instead of that concept art look from Dish 1.
Which is really disappointing. Megatextures are perfect for the painterly style.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I dunno. I'm glad the megatexture technology exists, just to show a semi viable alternate to the popular...Whatever you call it. Discrete texture dominated field?

I get why it was developed, and why it failed too. It was made under the assumption that gaming was transitioning entirely to consoles and digital distribution in all it's forms wasn't going to take off. Therefore, a visually impressive engine that could ship on extra big blu-rays and HD-DVDs. Large emphasis on art design, art iteration, and empowering artists. Carmack's apology to a career dedicated to marginalizing art for performance. Or something. I think it's still pretty neat how it prioritizes 60FPS even on consoles. But it was also yet another item that illustrated how unimportant frame rate was in the grand scheme of things.

If it had come out earlier, if it was easier to develop for, if UE3 hadn't taken off and completely and utterly dominated the 360/PS3 era, I can see an alternate reality where it becomes a lot more wide spread. Maybe. I have to assume AMD support is a lot more robust in that reality.

Knurek

Given that FFX HD seems to have sold great... Might we see other PS3 games using Phyre Engine being ported soon?

You know what I'm talking about, right?

Atelier-Rorona_2010_06-17-10_22.jpg_500.jpg
Atelier_Totori_US_Boxart.jpg
Atelier_Meruru_cover.jpg
AtelierAyesha.jpg
Ar_tonelico_Qoga.jpg

Ludens

Banned
The official price for Shadwen should be 17€, so not 30+ as I thought.

Playing that beta/demo killed all my interest for it.

Same, it was interesting but way too junky, I didn't like the rewind mechanic and the fact you need to plan each stepo you move, it seems more a strategy game than a stealth. And yeah, there's the option to play it normally, but it's way too hard to be played like that.

Dice

I dunno. I'm glad the megatexture technology exists, just to show a semi viable alternate to the popular...Whatever you call it. Discrete texture dominated field?

I get why it was developed, and why it failed too. It was made under the assumption that gaming was transitioning entirely to consoles and digital distribution in all it's forms wasn't going to take off. Therefore, a visually impressive engine that could ship on extra big blu-rays and HD-DVDs. Large emphasis on art design, art iteration, and empowering artists. Carmack's apology to a career dedicated to marginalizing art for performance. Or something. I think it's still pretty neat how it prioritizes 60FPS even on consoles. But it was also yet another item that illustrated how unimportant frame rate was in the grand scheme of things.

If it had come out earlier, if it was easier to develop for, if UE3 hadn't taken off and completely and utterly dominated the 360/PS3 era, I can see an alternate reality where it becomes a lot more wide spread. Maybe. I have to assume AMD support is a lot more robust in that reality.
As I said, I think it works great for a painterly style like what Dishonored has. However, it doesn't really fit where graphics went/are still going with very different effects for different surfaces (fabric, metal, dirt, skin, etc) so it is best kept to projects with a certain style to them. For instance, I personally think the engine would have been a much better thing to build Fallout 4 on.

Corpekata

Banned
I wouldn't say they'd work well in Dishonored as much as they might have worked less awful than other games.

It would probably be the best application of a bad idea but there are better ideas out there that will be an overall improvement.

Lain

Given that FFX HD seems to have sold great... Might we see other PS3 games using Phyre Engine being ported soon?

You know what I'm talking about, right?

Atelier-Rorona_2010_06-17-10_22.jpg_500.jpg
Atelier_Totori_US_Boxart.jpg
Atelier_Meruru_cover.jpg
AtelierAyesha.jpg
Ar_tonelico_Qoga.jpg

Nah. GUST, unlike Square, doesn't seem interested in PC. KT seems interested in going forward and not backwards. I'd expect the new games to hit PC, but the old ones? Unlikely to me. Unless someone manages to license them explicitly to make ports.... like Ghostlight.

Corpekata

Banned
I played that Nights of Azure Gust game on PS4. What a turd that game ended up being.

That's my only real frame of reference for them, so I can't say I am longing for ports of their back catalogue (though yes I know it's supposed to be fairly different).

Arthea

I played that Nights of Azure Gust game on PS4. What a turd that game ended up being.

That's my only real frame of reference for them, so I can't say I am longing for ports of their back catalogue (though yes I know it's supposed to be fairly different).

you should play Atelier or Mana Khemia instead.
This Nights of Azure was first Gust ARPG, there was a slim chance of it being great, while Atelier games are all great.

Would you believe if someone told you in 2008 you will be playing Neps and FFs and Tales on PC?
2017 the year of Atelier PC offensive! Believe!

no, I wouldn't, I most likely suggested visit to a shrink in situation like this.

So, Homefront The Revolution sounds, at best, like an interesting failure. I still kind of want to play it though, especially after reading the RPS review. I can always give a game slack for being ambitious.

I guess the best thing about the reviews is that it's gonna get real cheap, real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom