• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

This is interesting, the higher difficulties in Doom have a Dark Souls bloodstain mechanic

A7F5iIJ.jpg

data

Being the trump of gaming sounds pretty funny. Not sure why everyone's ganging up on him. He probably said it as a joke too

Teggy

So I picked up Shadwen today and played through the first 3 chapters. I was definitely not sold on the demo, but with the tutorial in place I understand the mechanics a lot better now.

The pause when not moving has some very distinct advantages when using the grappling hook, although it can also be a pain during other situations, such as where you are breaking a box and all movement just stops after you've swung your knife. So you have to either get used to holding down the time forward button while doing certain actions or just move around a little at times. However, in a game where being totally stealthy is an option, it's very helpful in allowing you to stop and think about your next move without any pressure. You may like that or you may think that it makes the game too easy, I suppose.

The levels are fairly tight - it seems more of a game about puzzling out guard movements and ways to distract than giving you the run of a large area like Styx. Of course, there is the added complication of the little girl - there are cases where you can simply go over the guards, but you need to clear a path for the girl to follow you along the ground.

The game makes it very clear that there are some story differences between going no-kill and otherwise, and the majority of the achievements are "kill everything" or "kill nothing". There are also 4 separate achievements tied to the ending that look like they will basically involve running the final mission an additional 2 times (assuming one full all kill run, one full all stealth run), although I haven't determined yet if the game will allow that.

Overall, I'm eager to play more, and $15 seems like a decent price for 13 or so levels if you are a fan of the genre.

Phawx

Nvidia just skipped two console generations with the 1080.

Just insane.

Eh, for $700 I'm going to wait for HBM2. I've been all over the place trying to make sense of buying a used 980ti, but going from my R9 290 to a 980ti or a 1080 isn't worth the cost to upgrade.

I never upgraded the thermal paste on my 290 and it looks like temps get much better with good paste, so I'm going to spend $10 and coast on my 290 until HBM2 comes along.

Ludens

Banned
Bemine 25 mystery game unlocked and it's Fire, the Daedalic game, so a good one.

Also I want to ask you something, tech GAF. My monitor has a max resolution of 1366*768, and Midnight Horror has a fixed resolution, since it's Wintermute.
If I select 4:3, I get this small, tiny image on the screen with black bars on all four sides, if I select 16:9 I have a cut screen, like 1/4 of it is missing.
Is there a way to play it on fullscreen? I mean, I completed this one since it's 1 hour long, but the sequel is coming and it will be the same resolution, but that one is 20+ hours, I don't really want to play on a window for 20 hours.
I don't want to buy a new screen just for this game, I tried downsampling but nothing worked.

Yeah, the game seems terrible. 4/10 on Destructoid, 5/10 on eurogamer.it...the demo had potential, but since it was like an alpha I expected a refined gameplay, but it seems the same so no, this will go in the "bundle only or 80% off" list, just for curiosity because it's a stealth.

r3n4ud

Few extras

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Nova-111 -- MB-EC6C419632E6C5D9 - Taken by Ludens
Adorables -- MB-7D33D579509AD5CC - Taken by fifasnipe2224
Runaway Express Mystery -- MB-43CA21001BC0DDD1 - Taken by madjoki
Space Pilgrim Episode III Delta Pavonis -- MB-60E97EB8D5197D2F - Taken by kurahador
Stones of Sorrow -- MB-459272C2BDE0B100 - Taken by voodooray
Masterplan -- MB-F4374A65E95D4AB1 - Taken by Phinor
Super Mega Neo Pug -- MB-E8D008EAEA902F56 - Taken by Costa1774
Portal of Evil -- MB-75726662DE9BB49D
The Deed -- MB-DC8F30FA5379B464 - Taken by redlacs
Fort Defense -- MB-57C1901FB60826F2

Grief.exe

That's not how NVIDIA works.
They already stopped producing every Maxwell chip.

That post wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously, hopefully at that point we are at 10nm fab, but we've been on 28 for 5 years so I guess anything is possible.

Eh, for $700 I'm going to wait for HBM2. I've been all over the place trying to make sense of buying a used 980ti, but going from my R9 290 to a 980ti or a 1080 isn't worth the cost to upgrade.

I never upgraded the thermal paste on my 290 and it looks like temps get much better with good paste, so I'm going to spend $10 and coast on my 290 until HBM2 comes along.

I wonder how much the 3rd party cards will be. Nvidia is possibly price gouging the hardcore community, and the 3rd party cards will retail around $600.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

With this game, is never enough -- MB-1EE12929C3EA9204 - Taken by chronomac

derExperte

I bring you fire.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derExperte, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fire -- MB-A6F787E087BB8DBF - Taken by Phawx. 4 entrants total.
Link -- MB-E1606E3D5A3A6D57 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.

t1463501945z1.png

Phawx

That post wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously, hopefully at that point we are at 10nm fab, but we've been on 28 for 5 years so I guess anything is possible.

I wonder how much the 3rd party cards will be. Nvidia is possibly price gouging the hardcore community, and the 3rd party cards will retail around $600.

Well EVGA rep already confirmed that they will not have anything but founder's editions at launch: http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2479394

And all the other AIBs are only listing FE as well. And generally speaking, when AIBs make custom coolers, the price goes up. There is a good chance that FE will be the cheapest 1080s for a good while.

And if we're talking Oct/Nov until $600 1080s come out, Vega10 is most likely Spring 2017, so it doesn't make any sense (for me) to do anything until HBM2 comes out.

sprinkles

I am having a hard time justifying an upgrade from my 970 as well. As my Vive preorder got cancelled (credit card issues with my Bank and Digital River) and because I am still gaming on 1080p I don't feel the immediate need to upgrade.

Phawx

I am having a hard time justifying an upgrade from my 970 as well. As my Vive preorder got cancelled (credit card issues with my Bank and Digital River) and because I am still gaming on 1080p I don't feel the immediate need to upgrade.

Yea, the upgrade bug is getting to me but I can't rationalize any of the numbers. Just need to be content for right now and hope my paste quiets my current card enough.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

This

Just going to stick with my 970 for another year or two

sprinkles

It's not my screenshot so I can't answer that question yet unfortunately.
Doom on the highest difficulty has perma death, so the skulls are your former bodies.

I finished Doom yesterday. Great game. I did not find all the secrets and I could up the difficulty, so maybe I will play through the campaign again. Which is something I almost never do in FPS games, the last time was probably NOLF 2.

Lain

I sit on the other side. Exactly because I have a 970 I want to upgrade. The price of the 1080 is too high for my taste though. I wonder what kind of shit will they pull with the 1070.

Phawx

I sit on the other side. Exactly because I have a 970 I want to upgrade. The price of the 1080 is too high for my taste though. I wonder what kind of shit will they pull with the 1070.

Only thing worth noting is the ram is regular GDDR5 and most likely the Founders Editions will be the only ones to be obtained for a bit, so $450 during launch period.

Edit: it's worth noting that Polaris10 will probably be out around the time the 1070 comes out and might have comparable perf for less money.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Gipsy Danger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gipsy Danger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Alien: Isolation -- MB-154B4187C21362E5 - Taken by PAUonePUNCH. 27 entrants total.

t1463513794z1.png

Hey guys! Have a game! It's Alien: Isolation and it's great!

Been a while since I've done a giveaway but it should work just fine. Let me know if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom