• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

only played about an hour :)
Ahhh

My PC won't even manage to run F.E.A.R 2, a 2009 game, on a locked framerate (even at the lowest resolution), and I still have hopes of playing Overwatch on it *laughs hysterically* *starts sobbing*

And honestly I'm not even mad at missing F.E.A.R 2 itself, from the 40 minutes I manage to endure playing it, the game didn't seem to be anything like the first one, so to hell with it

It's a really bad case of consolefied when compared to the first.

Phawx

welp Salt & Sanctuary is all I hoped for and more.

xZ2sEbd.gif

Can you elaborate?

xist

My PC won't even manage to run F.E.A.R 2, a 2009 game, on a locked framerate (even at the lowest resolution), and I still have hopes of playing Overwatch on it *laughs hysterically* *starts sobbing*

And honestly I'm not even mad at missing F.E.A.R 2 itself, from the 40 minutes I manage to endure playing it, the game didn't seem to be anything like the first one, so to hell with it

I enjoyed it...my PC is around 5 years old and somehow managed to crank out F.E.A.R at a solid rate, so the shock of getting a good result possibly puts a positive spin on most games that run well for me.

derExperte

Weekend Deal - Galactic Civilizations III
Announcement - Valve
Celebrate the Galactic Civilizations Anniversary Sale! Save 66% on Galactic Civilizations III as part of this week's Weekend Deal*!

Also save 50% off Galactic Civilizations III: Mercenaries Expansion and 50% on the Galactic Civilizations Gold Pack!

Galactic Civilizations III is the largest strategy sandbox ever made. Start with a single world and expand across the galaxy through diplomacy, trade, cultural hegemony, or military conquest in this single-player or multiplayer 4X strategy game. How will you rule your galaxy?

*Offer ends Monday at 10AM Pacific Time

someone pressed a button too soon

FloatOn

my dark souls 3 co-op friend hasn't been around lately

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on witcher 3 seeing as how it is half off. Dark Souls 3 can wait.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can you elaborate?

on the game itself or what I expected? Well I guess both. I sure can. This is impressions from about an hour and 15mins of play, 1 zone done and a peek at 2 others, and 1 boss defeated.

So, Salt & Sanctuary is a "metroidvania" with a bunch of Dark Souls trappings wrapped around it. Its actually more "metroidvania" than a Souls games contrary to what some people say, but then again, what are the Souls games if not 3d castlevanias to be fair.

Gameplay is super responsive which was my main concern (you can never tell from videos). I feared it would be a bit floaty but its not, theres weight to it, movement feels fast even with my beefy knight. You can do normal and heavy attacks, jump, block, parry and dodge roll with invicibility frames (sound familiar? yup its exactly like the Souls games) and a stamina bar that governs your attacks, dodges and whatnot. Some nice little things I really apreciate already.

1 - you can block "with your back". what I mean is, when you raise your shield, you are locked in to a side, since its a 2d game. And since there is a bit of a animation priority (you know, like the Souls games lol) on everything, I was afraid that you would get hit in the back alot from not turning fast enough by lowering your shield, turning and then raising it again, but the game seems to register a block from anyware as long as you have the shield up. Smart.

2 - Parry window is SUPER generous. Im actually using it alot and I never did in the souls games (or bloodborne). You can do a finisher attack after you parry like Bloodborne (and the Souls games? like I said I never parry lol) and they look great. Theres also a little canned finishing animation on the ground sometimes, not sure what triggers it, guess its random.

There is A LOT of platforming given its 2d nature, and thats where the game feels more like a metroidvania. You can drop down platforms, climb up to them (even if you are not on the edge of them which I greatly apreciate), Ive already encountered a couple of doors / caves that you literally had to drop down and hang on to the ledge to access them. Level design seems great, there is a TON of looping like any good of these has (and like Dark Souls 1 I guess), lots of ladders to kick down, switches to open doors to backtrack, etc. There seems to be a lot of secrets also (havent found any breakable walls yet tho, dunno if they exist, I am smacking them tho lol).

I did the first zone and killed the first boss after a few tries (I didnt realise I had "estus flasks" so when I ran out of the consumable health item on the first try I kept dying because I thought I had no health items), he was pretty easy but I kept fucking up the extra attacks he did on phase 2 of the fight. Oh there are boss souls for weapons, but I dont know how to use them yet.

There are bonfires. There are hubs where you can have vendors for various things and a fast travel dude. Im not sure if there are Souls style quests, but Ive encounted quite a few npcs already. No voice acting. What else... oh the leveling system!

The leveling system is actually really neat and the biggest difference from the Souls games. You still trade souls...err... salt for levels, with increasing amounts each level, but you dont allocate that level to a given stat in here. When you level you get a item called Black Pearl, 1 per level. You then use this black pearl in what can only be described as the final fantasy sphere grid. Here, there are normal STR, or Endurance, or Magic nodes (where 1 black pearl will give you 1 STR for example), but also nodes that will give you perks, or nodes that will give you more estus flashs (thats how you get more flasks btw), or nodes that will let you use new weapons (I found a greatsword that I couldnt use, because I needed to get the Swords Rank 2 node, which lets me use rank 2 swords and rank 1 greatswords). The good thing is, even these nodes give you stats, so you are always getting stats. Its a really cool system and the grid is gigantic.

And then there's the art. This part is the most subjective, I actually like the look of the game, but I can understand how some wouldnt. And those potato headed characters are butt ugly any way you look at it. But I like the environments and monster designs, which is what you are doing 95% of the time anyway. This is a shot from the start of the game for example:

Yes, its very gray, and it hasnt gotten much more colorful in the places ive been in.

There are no graphic settings besides resolution and v-sync I think, game seems to run fine tho. Thats about all I can think of from what Ive played.

Where's all the "You were right, I'm sorry for doubting your genius Corpekata" posts to replace all the lizard threats?

you were granted mercy, thats more than most

edit: there are torches like Souls for dark places. And you can have 2 sets of weapons equipped like Souls. And there are bows, and magic / miracles...like Souls :p

edit2: oh and unlike most (all?) metroidvanias, there is no map, so that part is deffo more Souls like

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Nice, thanks

wishlistd

the PS4 version quicklook is also a great way to get a sense of it. Be warned that the screams from one of the bosses in the video are the stuff of nightmares.

something I forgot to mention (because I havent run into it) but with its 2d nature there is more symphony of the night style "get ability to go to new places" aspect that the Souls games never really had, so again in that sense its more metroidvania (stuff like double jumps or air dashes etc)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
something I forgot to mention (because I havent run into it) but with its 2d nature there is more symphony of the night style "get ability to go to new places" aspect that the Souls games never really had, so again in that sense its more metroidvania (stuff like double jumps or air dashes etc)

This is relevant to my interests.

Thanks for writing all that out, game looks pretty legit.

Kiru

Hm, so when I VPN via USA and buy the Humble, they keys I get won't be able to be activated here in Germany but only USA?

They give you keys based on your paypal location. So VPN won't help you. Just let someone buy you the games. I know for sure that you can activate Riptide in Germany without VPN. Dead Island too in the past, dunno if this key would be any different though.

SS sounds cool. Good write-up rhaknar.
They give you keys based on your paypal location. So VPN won't help you. Just let someone buy you the games. I know for sure that you can activate Riptide in Germany without VPN. Dead Island too in the past, dunno if this key would be any different though.
I'll pass this bundle then. Good to know the keys are given by Paypal location, thanks.

Red Hood

Banned
I won this code in a previous ModBot giveaway from an anonymous gifter, but it seems the code is region locked. And since I don't know who (s)he is, I'm giving it another go. I'm from EU so I think it's safe to assume this is an NA code.

The key code starts with a zero, but I changed it to an "O" in order for ModBot to accept it. Otherwise I'd get an error message. So don't forget to change the first O into a 0.

Also, ignore that thank you part, forgot to take that out. Obviously no thank you needed since it wasn't mine to begin with.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Red Hood, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killer is Dead (region lock NA) -- MB-1A70360B255A8461 - Taken by hannes. 10 entrants total.

t1463524618z1.png

Rhaknar

there is also couch co-op for all you weirdos with families or, whats that thing called... oh girlfriends

kill me ;_;

ModBot said:
Instructions for The Dear Leader:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Saint's Row 2 -- MB-ED6E9E59128A4F29 - Taken by Lashley
Dead Island GOTY -- MB-28F8FCB5F3882162 - Taken by Red Hood
Risen -- MB-0F4FF746E60197BE - Taken by voodooray
Saints Row: The Third Full Package -- MB-CF8AE171C9A5248F - Taken by ExoSoul

On a side note, is Sacred 3 worth the bandwidth to download it? The Steam reviews are something else...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I keep going back to the challenge rooms in Transistor, love this game so much. Sometimes I give games that didn't click with me initially a second chance, and it's so rewarding when it does click then. Had the same kind of experience with the first Dead Rising.

on the game itself or what I expected? Well I guess both. I sure can. This is impressions from about an hour and 15mins of play, 1 zone done and a peek at 2 others, and 1 boss defeated.

So, Salt & Sanctuary is a "metroidvania" with a bunch of Dark Souls trappings wrapped around it. Its actually more "metroidvania" than a Souls games contrary to what some people say, but then again, what are the Souls games if not 3d castlevanias to be fair.

Gameplay is super responsive which was my main concern (you can never tell from videos). I feared it would be a bit floaty but its not, theres weight to it, movement feels fast even with my beefy knight. You can do normal and heavy attacks, jump, block, parry and dodge roll with invicibility frames (sound familiar? yup its exactly like the Souls games) and a stamina bar that governs your attacks, dodges and whatnot. Some nice little things I really apreciate already.

1 - you can block "with your back". what I mean is, when you raise your shield, you are locked in to a side, since its a 2d game. And since there is a bit of a animation priority (you know, like the Souls games lol) on everything, I was afraid that you would get hit in the back alot from not turning fast enough by lowering your shield, turning and then raising it again, but the game seems to register a block from anyware as long as you have the shield up. Smart.

2 - Parry window is SUPER generous. Im actually using it alot and I never did in the souls games (or bloodborne). You can do a finisher attack after you parry like Bloodborne (and the Souls games? like I said I never parry lol) and they look great. Theres also a little canned finishing animation on the ground sometimes, not sure what triggers it, guess its random.

There is A LOT of platforming given its 2d nature, and thats where the game feels more like a metroidvania. You can drop down platforms, climb up to them (even if you are not on the edge of them which I greatly apreciate), Ive already encountered a couple of doors / caves that you literally had to drop down and hang on to the ledge to access them. Level design seems great, there is a TON of looping like any good of these has (and like Dark Souls 1 I guess), lots of ladders to kick down, switches to open doors to backtrack, etc. There seems to be a lot of secrets also (havent found any breakable walls yet tho, dunno if they exist, I am smacking them tho lol).

I did the first zone and killed the first boss after a few tries (I didnt realise I had "estus flasks" so when I ran out of the consumable health item on the first try I kept dying because I thought I had no health items), he was pretty easy but I kept fucking up the extra attacks he did on phase 2 of the fight. Oh there are boss souls for weapons, but I dont know how to use them yet.

There are bonfires. There are hubs where you can have vendors for various things and a fast travel dude. Im not sure if there are Souls style quests, but Ive encounted quite a few npcs already. No voice acting. What else... oh the leveling system!

The leveling system is actually really neat and the biggest difference from the Souls games. You still trade souls...err... salt for levels, with increasing amounts each level, but you dont allocate that level to a given stat in here. When you level you get a item called Black Pearl, 1 per level. You then use this black pearl in what can only be described as the final fantasy sphere grid. Here, there are normal STR, or Endurance, or Magic nodes (where 1 black pearl will give you 1 STR for example), but also nodes that will give you perks, or nodes that will give you more estus flashs (thats how you get more flasks btw), or nodes that will let you use new weapons (I found a greatsword that I couldnt use, because I needed to get the Swords Rank 2 node, which lets me use rank 2 swords and rank 1 greatswords). The good thing is, even these nodes give you stats, so you are always getting stats. Its a really cool system and the grid is gigantic.

And then there's the art. This part is the most subjective, I actually like the look of the game, but I can understand how some wouldnt. And those potato headed characters are butt ugly any way you look at it. But I like the environments and monster designs, which is what you are doing 95% of the time anyway. This is a shot from the start of the game for example:

Yes, its very gray, and it hasnt gotten much more colorful in the places ive been in.

There are no graphic settings besides resolution and v-sync I think, game seems to run fine tho. Thats about all I can think of from what Ive played.

you were granted mercy, thats more than most

edit: there are torches like Souls for dark places. And you can have 2 sets of weapons equipped like Souls. And there are bows, and magic / miracles...like Souls :p

edit2: oh and unlike most (all?) metroidvanias, there is no map, so that part is deffo more Souls like

To the wishlist it goes.

Phawx

the PS4 version quicklook is also a great way to get a sense of it. Be warned that the screams from one of the bosses in the video are the stuff of nightmares.

57209742.jpg

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry Red Hood, didnt noticed the NA-region lock (I know...the copy-line mentioned it...doh!)

NA-Region Lock!!! Please change the "O" at the beginning into a "0" !!!!

Sorry again guys

Instructions for hannes:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...er_292x136.jpg
Killer is Dead -- MB-F5186ED079C1C975 - Taken by someguyinahat. 10 entrants total.

t1463526282z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

F.E.A.R. 2 is a great game. Not as good as the first, but I think it's worth playing.

It's a really bad case of consolefied when compared to the first.
I can't deny this. In fact, this is true in the most literal way: the game that we got to play is the console version, with the PC one being scrapped during development. Both were different, and if I'm not mistaken Monolith focused on the latter while another studio did the first. After the PC version was abandoned, Monolith moved on to the console one, which was eventually released on all three HD platforms at the time.

Nordicus

now I want Satellite Reign

please continue updating us on your progress
Well, I attempted to sneak past the spider tank blocking my one way forward, but I encountered a problem, to put it lightly, when my Hacker was just in its sight for a split-second too long, and then the Spider Tank started absolutely destroying the cover my Hacker and Infiltrator were hiding behind, knocking over my guys and alerting nearby guards in the process. Only thing to do at this point, because I was in no shape to fight this thing, was to run away. Except my guys got to that spot by zipline. WELP, you can't exactly climb up ziplines, so these 2 agents that I had sent to scout for a path to my objective, had to run to a security panel to open a security door and run away through the main path. Getting this far through a safer one-way route was biting me in the ass.

It didn't go well. Hacker wasn't fast enough, and the two of them got mowed down by the guards' minigun and laser rifle fire in front of the panel. RIP. I wasn't going to attempt this assassination mission again in a while so I decided to cut my losses and let my Soldier and Support fast travel to nearest relay point downtown where they could reunite with the dead agents' clones.

Needed a change in scenery, and some extra money to build a tank-killing arsenal, so I decided to do some missions to get access to the 3rd section of the game (it has 4 total).

I had to trespass on some less guarded property to get the access pass, but even with that one I ran into some issues. My flamethrower-carrying Support got spotted due to her slowness with a heavy weapon, so a fight broke out before I was in proper cover. Both my Support and Infiltrator got killed in the beginning of the fight, and I had to keep mindjacking guys with my Hacker just to keep from getting outnumbered.
Ended up with a rather sizeable group of mindcontrolled redshirts by the time the fight ended, and the new (but weaker) clones of my dead agents could join me in my hiding spot within the facility. I had managed to already do some sizeable damage to security equipment and personnel so the rest of this mission was easy, and while that wasn't the last firefight there, it was the last one where I took any losses.

2 of the redshirt guards would become material for stronger clone bodies. I let the weakest one go.

Rhaknar

Is Ska really a 2 person studio? Thats crazy

mp1990

Banned
F.E.A.R. 2 is a great game. Not as good as the first, but I think it's worth playing.

I can't deny this. In fact, this is true in the most literal way: the game that we got to play is the console version, with the PC one being scrapped during development. Both were different, and if I'm not mistaken Monolith focused on the latter while another studio did the first. After the PC version was abandoned, Monolith moved on to the console one, which was eventually released on all three HD platforms at the time.
Eh, I won't formulate any in depth opinion before I dig deeper into it, but so far it hasn't impressed me at all, unlike the first F.E.A.R, which hooked me right off the bat. The gameplay is way less snappier, they got rid of the slow mo ability for some hell of a reason, the AI feels waaaaay dumbed down, and it lacks THAT terrifying atmosphere the first game had. "Consolefied" might be the perfect word to describe it.

xist

they got rid of the slow mo ability for some hell of a reason

Just keep going for a bit....you're playing as a different character compared to the first game so the reason that Point Man had for the Slo-Mo ability doesn't apply. After about 30 minutes of playing you'll probably be up to speed with the changes.

pahamrick

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (pahamrick, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Dead Island GOTY -- MB-7582D457D66CFF5C - Taken by Lashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom