• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

very much this
I'd take bayo too and SMT and Yakuza, but RoF comes first, it's essential

I still can't think of SMT/Etrian as Sega's IPs.
2017 will be massive on Steam: Tits 3rd, Atelier backports, Resonance of Fate, FFXII/FFT double pack, heck, with current Sony's stance, we might even be getting PS2 classics (Wild Arms 3, Shadow Hearts).
please come true

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I kinda feel like the hand-wringing about SEGA is just fanxiety. The games aren't going anywhere, the company isn't going to go imminently bankrupt, it's not like the window is closing for subsequent ports or if they don't get them out now, they never will. They're still releasing stuff at a good clip and their public-facing claim is that PC gaming is a core part of their business and they're going to keep porting stuff. I feel like keeping a crazy person calendar on your wall where you cross over the number of days since a port you cared about released.

Since SEGA began to refocus on PC gaming, beyond their PC exclusives (Eastside Hockey Manager, for example, and all the Total War games, and Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War and rescuing the largely PC-only Warhammer license from THQ's reckage), they've also ported or re-ported or re-released:
- Updating Sega collection to support rom hacks as mods
- Sonic Lost World
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Typing of the Dead: Overkill (custom produced for PC)
- 6 Dreamcast ports
- Re-releases of Condemned and Viking on Steam

No, it's not everything they've ever released, and it's not an urgent mad dash to get their entire catalogue up on Steam (they're a pretty small company these days!). But it's slow, and it's steady, and they certainly aren't showing evidence they're off focusing on something else. They take full part in every sale, they're not threatening to leave Steam or running concurrent over the top services, and their multiplatform games consistently run well and receive good support on PC. They've also continued their pivot to being a western-first company, which bodes well for awareness of PC as a platform. Moreover, they've allowed Shenmue to be Kickstartered with Sony's help, but plan a PC release for that--and we know from recent reports that they're trying to figure out getting Shenmue 1 and 2 released.

I guess I don't see the reason for anxiety. If another 6 months go by and SEGA still hasn't unleashed a torrent of ports, then... like... ok? The games will still be there if they choose to later on. It's OK. And if they take so long that emulation of the 360/PS3 catch up, then you won't even need to wait to play the games.

I see replies that seem unusually worried about Sega's commitment to sparkle motion, and I'm like... huh? Not only do I not see the lack of commitment, I also don't quite get how it's the end of the world if they weren't.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Pls Sega...just give me Vanquish and Bayonetta already

Grief.exe

I kinda feel like the hand-wringing about SEGA is just fanxiety. The games aren't going anywhere, the company isn't going to go imminently bankrupt, it's not like the window is closing for subsequent ports or if they don't get them out now, they never will. They're still releasing stuff at a good clip and their public-facing claim is that PC gaming is a core part of their business and they're going to keep porting stuff. I feel like keeping a crazy person calendar on your wall where you cross over the number of days since a port you cared about released.

Since SEGA began to refocus on PC gaming, beyond their PC exclusives (Eastside Hockey Manager, for example, and all the Total War games, and Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War and rescuing the largely PC-only Warhammer license from THQ's reckage), they've also ported or re-ported or re-released:
- Updating Sega collection to support rom hacks as mods
- Sonic Lost World
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Typing of the Dead: Overkill (custom produced for PC)
- 6 Dreamcast ports
- Re-releases of Condemned and Viking on Steam

No, it's not everything they've ever released, and it's not an urgent mad dash to get their entire catalogue up on Steam (they're a pretty small company these days!). But it's slow, and it's steady, and they certainly aren't showing evidence they're off focusing on something else. They take full part in every sale, they're not threatening to leave Steam or running concurrent over the top services, and their multiplatform games consistently run well and receive good support on PC. They've also continued their pivot to being a western-first company, which bodes well for awareness of PC as a platform. Moreover, they've allowed Shenmue to be Kickstartered with Sony's help, but plan a PC release for that--and we know from recent reports that they're trying to figure out getting Shenmue 1 and 2 released.

I guess I don't see the reason for anxiety. If another 6 months go by and SEGA still hasn't unleashed a torrent of ports, then... like... ok? The games will still be there if they choose to later on. It's OK. And if they take so long that emulation of the 360/PS3 catch up, then you won't even need to wait to play the games.

I see replies that seem unusually worried about Sega's commitment to sparkle motion, and I'm like... huh? Not only do I not see the lack of commitment, I also don't quite get how it's the end of the world if they weren't.

Stump, one month from now the crying will renew again in SteamGAF. I've typed up paragraphs before and it hasn't made a dent.

2017 will be massive on Steam: Tits 3rd, Atelier backports, Resonance of Fate, FFXII/FFT double pack, heck, with current Sony's stance, we might even be getting PS2 classics (Wild Arms 3, Shadow Hearts).
please come true

Are the Atelier backports confirmed? Quick, someone make sure that durante is alright.

Stump, one month from now the crying will renew again in SteamGAF. I've typed up paragraphs before and it hasn't made a dent.

That's the Grief.exe we know and love -- the voice of reason in the madness and chaos known as SteamGAF. Why isn't Grief.exe a mod yet?

I finished Resident Evil Revelations. I liked it overall but, that campaign drags on, with "twists" everywhere. Some of the encounters were lame but, the weapon system was pretty okay. I liked the idea of most of the game taking place on a boat, it's not done a lot in video games, at least horror games. Dunno if I can really recommend it since at one point I just wanted it to end.

PS: About Blade Symphony, for people that don't know what they are talking about, it's online only (There is training and really dumb AI) and it's kinda dead for the lack of a better word, sometimes it is active but rarely. As a comparison to Bushido Blade? Kind of since there are few games that have blade based very lethal hitting combat. Although you have way more health than a Bushido Blade. The combat is nice but, clunky at the same time.

PSS: Sega is being really risk adverse for some reason despite making money from multiple facets right now, especially the Arcade and people in Japan dumping money into PSO2. It's odd, you don't have a console to worry about anymore and yet they restructure and shit a ton.

hesho

please come true

can i have what you are taking please because i want to join your world too!!?!!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I think there is a disconnect around here about how much work actually goes into porting a game from another platform to PC. (And, honestly, I got the same level of misunderstanding in regards to Enhanced Steam on Chrome vs porting to Firefox). Fanxiety is a good word for it - we all want to see a ton of Sega / Atlus games released on Steam and only a few people here are being rational and saying "I just hope they take their time and do it right." And as you pointed out, they are porting games and have a focus on PC so there isn't really any reason for someone to work themselves up over.

*GabeN "these things take time".gif*

Nobody really wants a dump of Sega's entire back-catalog with no quality assurance, localization, or PC optimizations.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I finished Resident Evil Revelations. I liked it overall but, that campaign drags on, with "twists" everywhere. Some of the encounters were lame but, the weapon system was pretty okay. I liked the idea of most of the game taking place on a boat, it's not done a lot in video games, at least horror games. Dunno if I can really recommend it since at one point I just wanted it to end.

Revelations is a weird one for me, and I think a lot of the fanbase. Some really like it, some don't. For me, I like certain parts of it, like there are certain peaks that are quite good, but then there's some drudging in-between, and some low-points. I think you can in a lot of ways feel where it was designed as a handheld title.

It was partially because of Revelations I originally wasn't super excited for Revelations 2, even though I thought Revelations 1 was okay, but thankfully Revelations 2 was much better than the original by a country mile, especially in terms of atmosphere, story, and level design.

Phawx

I guess I don't see the reason for anxiety.

I agree with everything you've said, I just never read anything about Sega on SteamGaf as.. concern?

I don't read doom and gloom for Sega to continue existing, it's more about them sitting on their laurels and just coasting.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I agree with everything you've said, I just never read anything about Sega on SteamGaf as.. concern?

I don't read doom and gloom for Sega to continue existing, it's more about them sitting on their laurels and just coasting.

Sega's been busy man - Valkyria Chronicles Remastered just released yesterday on PS4.

Uzzy

Total War: WARHAMMER comes out on Tuesday. That's literally a dream game. Don't see how Sega are resting on their laurels.

I think there is a disconnect around here about how much work actually goes into porting a game from another platform to PC. (And, honestly, I got the same level of misunderstanding in regards to Enhanced Steam on Chrome vs porting to Firefox). Fanxiety is a good word for it - we all want to see a ton of Sega / Atlus games released on Steam and only a few people here are being rational and saying "I just hope they take their time and do it right." And as you pointed out, they are porting games and have a focus on PC so there isn't really any reason for someone to work themselves up over.

*GabeN "these things take time".gif*

Nobody really wants a dump of Sega's entire back-catalog with no quality assurance, localization, or PC optimizations.

Nobody ever really wants to wait for something they want -- or not know things are coming... I think people who are clamoring for PC ports of older games (myself included) would just like to know what's in the pipeline. Saying ports are coming and then delivering strange choices like a niche PS3 anime SRPG or rescuing a non-traditional Sonic game off the WiiU don't do a ton to bolster the confidence of people who are waiting for something in particular.

I think gamers are also looking towards companies like SE for comparison purposes and when they see SE manage to bring FF3, FFIV, FFIV: After Years, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX, FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2, and FFXIII-3 to PC in the last 3 years, they get a little worried about SEGA's strategy by comparison with the lack of insight into exactly what they may be porting -- especially since the only console port released since VC in 2014 was Sonic Lost Worlds. Sure, you could hope that whatever they're working on has better "PC options" when compared to the SE ports, but since there's no indication of what they might be bringing next -- if anything -- it may be a case of "something is better than nothing", though PC gamers generally don't see things from that point of view. :)

And you're 100% right on people not knowing what it takes to port something (or develop something) in general. Especially when it comes to things which run on PC versus a console where the hardware is known and will never change. You see it all the time when a modder manages to unlock something or improve something the developer didn't. People think because 1 person could make something work via a hack in <x> amount of time that a developer/publisher must be incompetent/inept. However, that's not always the case when you factor in development, testing and other QA, etc. for software which will be slammed against so many different hardware/software configurations that it's practically impossible to test them all.

Salsa

more excited about this than any game release

Ciwobw4UYAE2cVG.jpg:large

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Porting a game is like making sausage. No one wants to see how it's done, they just want it to come out and look good. Which is a shame really, as there is a lot of fascinating info out there both from teams discovering all kinds of hidden aspects in a game (unused art assets, hidden areas normally not accessible, weapon A does more damage than weapon B, etc) and learning exactly how the original game used tricks to work in the first place (see any look back on PS1 games such as Crash Bandicoot).

At the same time. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the headaches that can come from trying to understand why a game won't work simply because a specific brand of mouse and keyboard is attached if they don't have to. That stuff is best left ignored for those who only care about game aspects.

Salsa

I legit think SEGA is pushing ATLUS for Persona on PC

I mean I have no basis to believe it other than it makes sense and that they would have done it already if they werent more hands off with ATLUS so far

I dealt with all this anime old port crap now give me a good game. just port P4Golden from Vita, you've done that shit before.

Ozium

are there still market restrictions for adding a new payment method? I want to use a 30 dollar pre-paid visa I got from a rebate and add it to my steam wallet... but will I be not able to use things?

or does mobile authenticator negate that?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Total War: WARHAMMER comes out on Tuesday. That's literally a dream game. Don't see how Sega are resting on their laurels.

So excited

Anyone know when pre-load is?

TMNT out the same day too, have both pre-ordered

I legit think SEGA is pushing ATLUS for Persona on PC

I mean I have no basis to believe it other than it makes sense and that they would have done it already if they werent more hands off with ATLUS so far

I dealt with all this anime old port crap now give me a good game. just port P4Golden from Vita, you've done that shit before.

I'd be down for Trauma Center, Catherine, hell, even Etrian Odyssey.

are there still market restrictions for adding a new payment method? I want to use a 30 dollar pre-paid visa I got from a rebate and add it to my steam wallet... but will I be not able to use things?

or does mobile authenticator negate that?

I think you can do that and then validate the new funding source somehow. But I haven't down it in quite a while, so I can't say for certain. The last time I got locked out of the market for a new payment method was when Valve didn't recognize themselves as a funding source for my wallet and gave me a 10+ day wait because I simply refunded a game I had preordered.

As to whether or not mobile authenticator can negate it as well, I don't know.

Ozium

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Shutshimi -- MB-A9B89F5202E8E7A6 - Taken by bloke
Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath -- MB-F33EA49C77BB70E1 - Taken by ExoSoul
Cosmic Rocket Defender -- MB-FC779B4E1556259F - Taken by WinterDemons
MechaNika -- MB-4C0A9CCFC03A7D06 - Taken by Purkake4
Galactic Conquerors -- MB-4B2B2000BE714039 - Taken by madjoki
Hordelicious -- MB-B82488F1367124C4 - Taken by Belgarion
Pongo -- MB-702FFF0DDD58070D - Taken by Hakkelus
Phoenix Force -- MB-27D2028E4E6BCAE3 - Taken by Costa1774
Hypt -- MB-842496976CD769A6 - Taken by Neospartan
Wyv and Keep -- MB-E700331EF024E9A2 - Taken by Lomax
This Book is a Dungeon -- MB-6686B20CB06D979C - Taken by NightmareTrigger
Forest Warrior -- MB-E94D2E2A46EC3D97 - Taken by septicore
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-5F8E38F76896CC6B - Taken by voodooray
Ladra -- MB-DE2E7C63F41A1548 - Taken by Ventara
Mr. Bree Plus -- MB-E413C15AA1DF1BA9 - Taken by fuzzy123

I forgot to put nothanks so if it says to thank me don't listen to him

Revelations is a weird one for me, and I think a lot of the fanbase. Some really like it, some don't. For me, I like certain parts of it, like there are certain peaks that are quite good, but then there's some drudging in-between, and some low-points. I think you can in a lot of ways feel where it was designed as a handheld title.

It was partially because of Revelations I originally wasn't super excited for Revelations 2, even though I thought Revelations 1 was okay, but thankfully Revelations 2 was much better than the original by a country mile, especially in terms of atmosphere, story, and level design.

Yeah there were just parts that dragged on for no reason. I wasn't really digging the whole previously on segments either. Going for almost a TV show vibe for some reason.

Maybe Ill try Revelations 2 if it is that much better. I keep hearing that.

kagamin

I really need to install PPD again, I got frustrated last time I tried and just uninstalled it, I have to find all the mods again for it though ugh....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom