• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

First step should be to create their own platform on PC like Origin and Steam.

Next step should be to make a Pokemon MOBA

After that release Super Smash Bros and make it F2P driving even more people to your platform.

Push both games to esports glory.

???

???

Profit (in the billions)

Do it Nintendo...before you fall so hard on your face MS is forced to buy you out and the whole gaming community watches you die a slow death just like RARE.

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't know what more you want from DS3.

Best boss fights in the series.

Best enemy npc's in the series

Best music in the series.

Best graphics in the series.

:p

But yea I expect dlc to be good too. Still need to get on a good deal with the season pass.
what do u mean enemy npcs? like regular enemies? but yeah, gotta also mention:

worst story/characters/lore/setting/writing/whatever in the series

most by the numbers entry in the series

(i wanna say most linear but there's actually kind of half true i guess? worst feeling of non-linearity? sorta? i guess? lol)

i like dks3 but it's the first souls game that i felt tired of. dks2 deserves a lot of the shit it gets (not everything) but at least it tried stuff and took risks and felt like it tried to solve a lot of the problems from 1

eh, i have trouble talking about dks3 without mentioning how disappointed i am by it

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One day you will all be old like me, realise that you are just wasting precious time being a cynical bastard and just learn to enjoy your games ;_;

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm still really excited for from's next project, dks3 being like a known quantity doesn't change that

it's a disappointment but i'm hoping from still got it in them

kagamin

I don't even know of anyone with a similar outlook compared to mine really, I just find games that look interesting to me, buy and play them, and coincidentally I like them all, its just not something I see really ever mentioned.

yuraya

what do u mean enemy npcs? like regular enemies? but yeah, gotta also mention:

worst story/characters/lore/setting/writing/whatever in the series

most by the numbers entry in the series

(i wanna say most linear but there's actually kind of half true i guess? worst feeling of non-linearity? sorta? i guess? lol)

i like dks3 but it's the first souls game that i felt tired of. dks2 deserves a lot of the shit it gets (not everything) but at least it tried stuff and took risks and felt like it tried to solve a lot of the problems from 1

eh, i have trouble talking about dks3 without mentioning how disappointed i am by it

Yea regular enemies were the best imo. They were all very aggressive and didn't mess around. Some were legit hard like those frostbitten guys.

No way DS3 is more linear than DS2. The entirety of DS2 was just corridor after corridor all the way until the end of the game. Not that its a bad thing but at least DS3 had several large open areas like the forest in DS1.

Story/lore doesn't really matter in souls games. Some of it is great the other side of it all is just some regular dark fantasy folk tale. It really applies to all the souls games. I don't really see how one can be better than the other in this regard.

Also to add I think DS3 has the best combat and weapons in the series. The game is just so much more fluid in general compared to the previous 2. Everything felt more natural and polished.

Doomedfool

Thanks for the earlier Happy Birthdays, all! :)

One day you will all be old like me, realise that you are just wasting precious time being a cynical bastard and just learn to enjoy your games ;_;

I feel like a cynical bastard most of the time, but it still seems like I can enjoy most of the games I have played. There's plenty of games Gaf seems to hate (after all the praise dies away :p) that I have had lots of fun with.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yea regular enemies were the best imo. They were all very aggressive and didn't mess around. Some were legit hard like those frostbitten guys.
i think there's a good case to be made but the reuse of so many enemies from dks1 just rubbed me the wrong way and at one point idk if the new enemies are really that good, or if the encounters themselves are that interesting, specially since i think dks3 has arguably the worst most bullshit regular enemy in the series (the jailers)

but yeah, it's a positive, duno if i'd put it above dks1 since that game had so much variety and unique enemy types and didn't really recycle enemies from other games, so idk

No way DS3 is more linear than DS2. The entirety of DS2 was just corridor after corridor all the way until the end of the game. Not that its a bad thing but at least DS3 had several large open areas like the forest in DS1.
ok, we're talking about different things here

yeah, the level design is really good in dks3, probably as good as in dks1

what i meant by linearity is the general structure of the game, dks3 basically offers you dungeons two at a time, while dks1 and dks3 gave u 4 or more. to me that added a lot of replayability and made the world more believable and fun to go through in ng+ and new playthroughs

no such luck in dks3. there's a bit, cos u can like
kill emma as soon as you meet her
and access some really difficult areas early on, but i can't imagine anyone being ready for that unless they're crazy good at the game?

point is, it just felt formulaic and uninspired to move from dungeon to dungeon. it didn't felt natural, like in dks1 or dks2 where you had like 4 or 5 different paths out of majula to peek into right from the start

Story/lore doesn't really matter in souls games. Some of it is great the other side of it all is just some regular dark fantasy folk tale. It really applies to all the souls games. I don't really see how one can be better than the other in this regard.
that's just not for you to say if it matters or not, it matters to me a whole lot so if u don't care about it it's your deal

and the story in dks3 is terrible, where dks1 and 2 had interesting backstories and characters and mystery and whatever, here it's like "you know the drill, go kill these dudes" and that's it. and you revisit places from dks1 and see characters from dks1 because idk it's cool i guess? and whatever answers the gave gives are superficial and lame. it's like
oh yea the firstborn is a friend of the dragons and idk he lives in dragon land and i guess orstein left his armor there also oh and you know havel was there cos idk
. i mean, maybe i missed something incredible but from my first playthrough it's so fucking bad and the pandering is so basic and uninspired and fuck man the firelink keeper has like 3 lines for the whole fucking game

ugh it makes me so mad that they wasted that opportunity to tell an actual story

like u know you fucked up when the emerald herald is more interesting than the leveling up character u wrote

like fuck

Also to add I think DS3 has the best combat and weapons in the series. The game is just so much more fluid in general compared to the previous 2. Everything felt more natural and polished.
i think it's the most refined for sure, i liked the gameplay a lot even if i didn't end up using the weapons arts much if anything, but the bosses and the dungeons were really fun for sure. it got a couple crazy boss fight adrenaline moments out of me that are what the series is all about, no denying that

but it's also a very disappointing game because i want them to try to surprise me and i was never surprised in dark souls 3, not even once

i mean, i was, but it wasn't like a positive surprise. it was like hey it's this guy from 1, i wonder if they do a cool thing with him and then they didn't and like, that's not great. or hey it's this place from 1, that's cool, i wonder if i'm gonna learn something new about it and all i got is like "oh right this character died" and that's like why bother

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fuck the length DOOM is worth it for the experience

But it's 10 hours and there's a ton of replayability and secrets

Lenght is one of my deciding factors with game purchases these days actually. That being said 10 hours is the sweet spot for a fps campaign, so thats nice

I already feel that way and I'm not even old.

Who let you out again? Back in the hole with you!

Sarcasm

Don't know what more you want from DS3.

Best boss fights in the series.

Best enemy npc's in the series

Best music in the series.

Best graphics in the series.

:p

But yea I expect dlc to be good too. Still need to get on a good deal with the season pass.

Better netcode and more interesting PvP.

Or leave it as the trash it is and make the items not so hard to get in other means.

Lenght is one of my deciding factors with game purchases these days actually. That being said 10 hours is the sweet spot for a fps campaign, so thats nice

Who let you out again? Back in the hole with you!

I'm trying to get free and play some games from my backlog,but it's easier to just look for dumb pics on the internet. A game that I've been enjoying in short bursts is Roll'd, the game is very simple the character walks and you control the inclination, very simple but hás local and online multiplayer, so it can be fun with friends.

Rhaknar

So does that game open up the kagura floodgates on PC or whats going on? Have they mentioned other ports?

I never said I didn't enjoy it. I just said I didn't think it rated as my GOTY and maybe wouldn't even be one of the top 5 I play this year. It's a good game, but it's not what I've come to expect when a new FROM game comes out.

1. Sure, the AI was better. I should hope it is after 2 console generations and 4 (5 if you count Bloodborne since they could pull from it, whether it's a souls game or not) the AI is the best in the series. But there are a lot of bs enemies this time around. I have never though my deaths in any souls game were particularly cheap until this entry where I got juggled around, hit OTG, and just stunlocked to death more times than I could count.

2. DS3 is pretty linear. What Zky says below about offering 2 at a time vs. 4 at a time is pretty much true. In DS3, one area leads into another which may split off into 2 which then dead end and you're forced to go back to the main path. It's actually one of my complaints about the game. You can do like Zky says and break the path in one key place, but still, that doesn't really add much as it opens up a singular path with two very short side areas.

3. I care about the lore as do a lot of others. Go search YT for dark souls lore and you'll be buried in videos where people are talking about their theories on what the central characters did or how certain events came about. Just because you're not into it doesn't mean it's not there and it's not important to people.

4. Combat felt largely the same as everything else; sure they added a few weapons skills and ways to work them into combat vs. PvE, but in my experience a lot of the weapon skills seem more beneficial to PvP, which isn't really my thing.

Beyond that, I think this game may be the worst of all the souls games in terms of a completionist's nightmare. The grinding is on levels of Demon's Souls Bladestone farming and that's really not a good thing. Farming ears/dregs/grass/tongues was one of the worst experiences I've ever had in a souls game and contributed highly to the burnout I feel after getting about 40% into NG+.

Speaking of NG+, they didn't take one of the excellent features DS2 had where NG+ added new enemies and encounters in places. I was very disappointed to find that NG+ is simply "stuff hits harder, there's a few new rings hidden around, and you can use the boss souls on the items you didn't get last time". One of the biggest improvements from DS2 and they just ignored it. So far I haven't noticed any bosses getting new attacks either. And they could have used it, because a lot of the bosses were just forgettable or used various gimmicks that made them trivial or just not fun.

Add in that the armors/weapons that made it back from DS1 and DS2 are missing a few of my favorites so the nostalgia leaves me just wishing for the stuff I'd actually like to use.

yeah, the level design is really good in dks3, probably as good as in dks1

what i meant by linearity is the general structure of the game, dks3 basically offers you dungeons two at a time, while dks1 and dks3 gave u 4 or more. to me that added a lot of replayability and made the world more believable and fun to go through in ng+ and new playthroughs

no such luck in dks3. there's a bit, cos u can like
kill emma as soon as you meet her
and access some really difficult areas early on, but i can't imagine anyone being ready for that unless they're crazy good at the game?

point is, it just felt formulaic and uninspired to move from dungeon to dungeon. it didn't felt natural, like in dks1 or dks2 where you had like 4 or 5 different paths out of majula to peek into right from the start

ugh it makes me so mad that they wasted that opportunity to tell an actual story
i think it's the most refined for sure, i liked the gameplay a lot even if i didn't end up using the weapons arts much if anything, but the bosses and the dungeons were really fun for sure. it got a couple crazy boss fight adrenaline moments out of me that are what the series is all about, no denying that

but it's also a very disappointing game because i want them to try to surprise me and i was never surprised in dark souls 3, not even once

i mean, i was, but it wasn't like a positive surprise. it was like hey it's this guy from 1, i wonder if they do a cool thing with him and then they didn't and like, that's not great. or hey it's this place from 1, that's cool, i wonder if i'm gonna learn something new about it and all i got is like "oh right this character died" and that's like why bother

1. I mostly agree about the level design -- they had some good vertical areas where paths kind of looped back over themselves and were well done (cathedral, for instance) but having retreads of a lot of areas from DS1 just kind of made everything feel familiar instead of new. And that lack of options is one of the thing that was a big negative to me... I could no longer really decide which way I wanted to go, I kind of had to follow the main path for most of the game and even if I deviated, it's not like the options on the extra path were very long lived. I did break that sequence you would normally do in NG in my start to NG+, but I just lost my interest after getting everything but the rings.

2. I get where they were going with the story and I respect sort of what they did there, but at the same point, it goes back to my gripe about everything feeling familiar rather than new. Story spoilers:
When you're hammering home the point that everything is just a cycle over and over until there's nothing at the end of it all because it's supposed to be the last game in the franchise, the redundancy makes sense... but I feel like they missed out by not really having throwbacks to DS2 when they did pull in DS2 characters all over the place.

kagamin

Then ending for Dark Souls III
adds nothing really, it just alludes to the fact that the cycle of light and dark will continue forever unending and the final boss represents that annoying fact

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the way dark souls 3 taps into the well of dark souls 1 is most of all boring and boring is not a word i ever would've used to describe like anything about dark souls

sometimes it's ridiculous and sometimes it's frustrating but it's never boring

sadly dark souls 3 was like that and that's why despite all the things it does right it's a very disappointing game

dks3 did nothing but cement the idea that the souls series is absolutely dead and eyes need to be looking forward to the next project

yuraya

I still prefer the level design and structure of DS3. DS3 had more shortcuts in the first 5 hours of the game than all of what DS2 had. DS2 was much more bland in comparison. DS2 was also designed horribly because all you have to do is kill rotten 3 times with ascetics and you could proceed. You didn't even have to kill anything else with your choices. I don't know if they fixed that in SOTFS or whatnot. The sense of adventure in that game was much worse than DS3. DS1 definitely has the best level design but I don't think DS3 is that far behind. The scale of DS3 was just too great. Especially when you reach
a top near farron keep and get to see how large everything was and how it was positioned with the entire game. I loved it a lot.

As for the surprises I don't know exactly what you mean. I was surprised by just about every boss fight except
deacons and big tree.
The second form in all the fights were great and it was very surprising to see how they had additional movesets. Some of the movesets were literally impossible to dodge. Unlike DS1 where every boss had very little moves. Even O&S had like 4 moves each. And DS2 had by far the easiest to dodge bosses and every move was very predictable. DS2 has the worst bosses as a result but at least they had a lot of them. In DS3 some of the fights were so unpredictable they never played out the same way. It was actually very hard all the time for me in DS3.
I enjoyed it more as a result because you had to rely a lot on your equipment and weapons.

Jazz573

Grisaia Monthly Update #8

Hi Backers,

Another month has passed and we have a update for you. We're getting closer to announcing a release time for The Labyrinth of Grisaia. Right now we have it slotted for Summer of this year. As production gets closer to finishing we will finalize on which month. The Eden of Grisaia is now 35% complete and moving forward at a steady pace.

We have some updates from Frontwing with their future projects and a new release from them on Steam!

The Leisure of Grisaia is available on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/460160/

AKABEi SOFT2 and Frontwing is holding a collaboration project: "Wheel Country, Sunflower Girl" for official localization. There’s a preview campaign on Prefundia and the Kickstarter campaign is expected to start in June.

The official website for "Corona Blossom" the new title by illustrator nanaca mai http://coroblo.com/

The characters from "Pure Girl" and "Innocent Girl" will be making their international debut in "Purino Party," the puzzle/visual novel hybrid game planned for a June 2016 release. http://en.frontwing.jp/games/purino-party/

And finally, if you haven’t heard Frontwing will be joining as an exhibitor at Anime Expo this year! They will be at booth numbers 726 and 626. There will be exclusive goods on sale and other things to be announced.

See you next update!

Memory's Dogma Development Update #6

We've translated a new blog post from LizArts with a development update about Memory's Dogma.

First off, I wanted to let everyone know that the scenario for the first release of Memory's Dogma is now complete.

Some of you may be worried about the release schedule for Memory's Dogma as we haven't been able to update our progress as often as we'd like. Despite these delayed updates, I'm happy that I'm able to let everyone know that the scenario for the first release is now complete.

Our blog post from September 17th, 2015 stated that, 'the whole picture of the character storylines is finally complete,' but we ended up having to replace the whole scenario for the Reina route afterwards. With a list of the backgrounds and images already done, I couldn’t imagine how we would be able to make the latter half of her route interesting. So I contacted all the core members of our team before everyone really started creating materials, and told them that I would like to remake the latter half of the plot from scratch.

I went into this thinking, 'Everyone may get really mad at me... yeah, perhaps... but even then, this is essential, so I have to...' However, to my surprise, everyone understood and agreed that such a change would make Memory’s Dogma better. At that moment, I felt extremely lucky to have the team that I have. (Thank you so much, everybody!) Looking back, I really think that rewriting the plot at that crucial moment was an important decision. It was difficult to make it the way I wanted, and even second guessed myself, but the final work came out really good. Of course, I do realize that I’m causing trouble for everyone by saying that!

The first draft of the scenario was completed around December 2015, and from January 2016 on I dedicated myself to polishing it. By the first draft, I had already tweaked the opening and each chapter had also been rewritten at least five times. At least 60% of the scenario has changed since the beginning of this year. When I felt like it was ready, around March I had ten people who had never read the scenario before, from both inside and outside of our circle, read through for the purpose of checking quality. I compiled all of the feedback, opinions, and suggestions I received into a list, separated the ideas I would and wouldn’t apply after careful consideration, and rewrote the story yet again.

The approach we took was not to blindly accept or reject all the suggestions, but to revise each part in a way that doesn’t change the intent greatly while making it easier for readers to understand.

For example:

- 'I couldn’t understand why this character behaved that way.' (Lack of explanation)

- 'I couldn’t understand why behavior B wasn’t chosen instead of A in this scene.' (Imperfect conditional setting in the scene)

- Abruptness when moving from behavior A to B (Lack of description)

With feedback like this, upwards of 30% of the scenario was rewritten again. Ultimately, it's the players who will judge if this scenario is interesting or not. That being said, I wanted to avoid a situation where after the release I’d end up saying 'I wish I’d fixed that one thing...' especially given such a wonderful opportunity to create Memory's Dogma. The constant fear I had for six months made me do everything in my power to ensure the quality of this release, which resulted in the production process evolving in the way it did. (Reina's route is an even more important scenario than it might otherwise be, especially because of the multi-part release schedule.) Consequently, I was able to make the best scenario that I could possibly make with my current ability. It's something where I can proudly say, 'I did my best work.'

I hope this is something that you, the players, can really enjoy playing.

By the way, the image on top of this article is one of the characters from Memory’s Dogma, Haruna-chan. This is the image you see in-game when you encounter her for the first time. Haruna-chan is very cheerful and I enjoy creating her words. Haruna-chan is really cute.

We will do our best to keep you updated on our progress as production continues. Thank you for your support!

kagamin

That's probably how most people buy games. Just not people who also post on gaming forums.

Its literally how I learned about Project Diva (Project Diva f to be exact), I saw an import copy browsing amazon one day, thought it looked interesting, but had no Vita, came back years later with my new (used) Vita and bought Project Diva F 2nd.

zkylon

zkylewd
I still prefer the level design and structure of DS3. DS3 had more shortcuts in the first 5 hours of the game than all of what DS2 had. DS2 was much more bland in comparison. DS2 was also designed horribly because all you have to do is kill rotten 3 times with ascetics and you could proceed. You didn't even have to kill anything else with your choices. I don't know if they fixed that in SOTFS or whatnot. The sense of adventure in that game was much worse than DS3. DS1 definitely has the best level design but I don't think DS3 is that far behind. The scale of DS3 was just too great. Especially when you reach
a top near farron keep and get to see how large everything was and how it was positioned with the entire game. I loved it a lot.

As for the surprises I don't know exactly what you mean. I was surprised by just about every boss fight except
deacons and big tree.
The second form in all the fights were great and it was very surprising to see how they had additional movesets. Some of the movesets were literally impossible to dodge. Unlike DS1 where every boss had very little moves. Even O&S had like 4 moves each. And DS2 had by far the easiest to dodge bosses and every move was very predictable. DS2 has the worst bosses as a result but at least they had a lot of them. In DS3 some of the fights were so unpredictable they never played out the same way. It was actually very hard all the time for me in DS3.
I enjoyed it more as a result because you had to rely a lot on your equipment and weapons.
i don't necessarily agree with all you say here but point is, there's a lot to ask for in dark souls 3

i think 2 and 3 are both disappointments for different reasons, but i beat dark souls 2 like 5 times and i kind of just wanted 3 to end by the time i was done with it

it just like, didn't even try to do the things i think it should have, it's such a safe game i feel like it lacks any real identity.

remember when there were rumors that you were gonna be able to like, make your own bonfires?

how cool would it have been if it had that?

i want that game, the one that took risks and changed things and felt like a leap forward, not just correcting course on a couple of bad things from dks2 and calling it a day

sadly that's not the game we got

Have you tried other endings?
it's really hard when i'm stuck in ng farming swordgrass bullshit because from wanted to force bad multiplayer on me

i know that achievements are stupid to begin with but i've done all achievements in all souls games, it feels weird to give up on them on the 4th one

kagamin

Have you tried other endings?

Ok honestly, its the last ending that's the worst for me it just
makes me want to see what happens, because since you absorbed the fire you can pretty much do whatever you want with its power, so its just a ridiculously huge cliffhanger basically

Ok honestly, its the last ending that's the worst for me it just
makes me want to see what happens, because since you absorbed the fire you can pretty much do whatever you want with its power, so its just a ridiculously huge cliffhanger basically
It's more like
stored away than took it yourself to utilize it. The whole point was to end the cycle entirely and not just plunge the world into the dark (since we know from the past games that simply extinguishing the flame doesn't work).

kagamin

It's more like
stored away than took it yourself to utilize it. The whole point was to end the cycle entirely and not just plunge the world into the dark (since we know from the past games that simply extinguishing the flame doesn't work).

So basically
it just reset everything permanently back to the state before the first flame, at least until someone (maybe) tries to make a new flame
? That still doesn't change too much, I guess. In the end I don't really care all that much about it though, the game is fun.

I'm convinced the worst enemies in Souls 3 are these fucking guards with giant shields, giant swords, and giant maces. They never seem to get knocked back, hit real hard, and track you like crazy.

Hate them.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's the jailers

there's nothing worse than the jailers

undodgeable 3/4s of ur health lost every time u see one unless you want to wait forever until they turn their backs or something

so fucking annoying

giant guard guys are really annoying too, but it's the jailers

nothing's worse than those fuckers

So basically
it just reset everything permanently back to the state before the first flame, at least until someone (maybe) tries to make a new flame
? That still doesn't change too much, I guess. In the end I don't really care all that much about it though, the game is fun.
Yeah they are reverting humanity to the state before the gods, because that's their true form. And the gods are dead, there won't be a new flame.

kagamin

Yeah they are reverting humanity to the state before the gods, because that's their true form. And the gods are dead, there won't be a new flame.

Wait a minute...
if the dragons are revived by the new age of ancients... wouldn't a new age of fire be possible
? :p

Volimar

CXCz4o0.gif

Rhaknar

Real talk tho, those fake games in the arcade stage look legit ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom