• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Totally fine with these bird gifs replacing anime and Overwatch.
mpXAMA8.gif

Figured this would be the best spot to mention it:

I always wait until Christmas to give away all my spare keys as there's always a yearly thread then for giving away games. But I think I'm going to have too many this year based on how many I have now so I figured I'd do something like a Summer Solstice giveaway and make a thread on June 20th so it'll give games to people before they would then possibly buy them during the Summer Sale.

If anyone else has keys to give away I'm not sure if you'd be interested in holding off until then so there's more people giving stuff away in the thread. It could also possibly serve as a thread for people to gift stuff during the Summer Sale? Or do you folks prefer to keep your giveaways to the Steam specific threads?

Just trying to gauge some interest on something like that and also make sure there's no real issue making a thread just to give away a bunch of spare keys.

And I guess to give some perspective I'll likely have around 120-150 keys to give out. The majority are from Humble Bundles and Humble Monthly as I always toss in $15 for each Bundle regardless if I want many of the games largely to raise the average and have keys to give out. So I get oodles of duplicates or games I never intend to redeem but they're not a huge pile of unknown games people idle just for the cards.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

tuxfool

Banned
Tried running at 4.5Ghz and ran Prime95. Blue Screen'd after like 5 minutes. Tried 4.3Ghz and I've been running for hour. I haven't changed the voltage. I'm assuming if I increased the voltage I probably wouldn't have crashed at @4.5Ghz?

More settings
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7531/27080887396_91656341e7_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7114/27019704972_9a3f8fdfb4_b.jpg

Pretty much. Obviously you have to start taking care when messing with the voltage (and also as a consequence cooling). Google around for some safe levels.

I also recommend this app for monitoring temperatures while testing:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Sch1sm

Good morning

Figured this would be the best spot to mention it:

I always wait until Christmas to give away all my spare keys as there's always a yearly thread then for giving away games. But I think I'm going to have too many this year based on how many I have now so I figured I'd do something like a Summer Solstice giveaway and make a thread on June 20th so it'll give games to people before they would then possibly buy them during the Summer Sale.

If anyone else has keys to give away I'm not sure if you'd be interested in holding off until then so there's more people giving stuff away in the thread. It could also possibly serve as a thread for people to gift stuff during the Summer Sale? Or do you folks prefer to keep your giveaways to the Steam specific threads?

Just trying to gauge some interest on something like that and also make sure there's no real issue making a thread just to give away a bunch of spare keys.

And I guess to give some perspective I'll likely have around 120-150 keys to give out. The majority are from Humble Bundles and Humble Monthly as I always toss in $15 for each Bundle regardless if I want many of the games largely to raise the average and have keys to give out. So I get oodles of duplicates or games I never intend to redeem but they're not a huge pile of unknown games people idle just for the cards.

Never really seen someone make a whole thread for it, considering giveaways are usually here or in the Free To A Good Home one. Since this locks during the sale, giveaways tend to just happen in the Summer Sale thread. I don't see any issue with what you're thinking of doing, but I'd keep it here personally since it'd require some participation in the Steam community.

Uzzy

Good interview with Feargus Urquhart, the CEO of Obsidian, about Tyranny, Pillars 2 and something else..

Feargus Urquhart said:
You could consider Tyranny a slightly smaller project than, for example, Pillars of Eternity. Is there something big that you’re working on at the same time?

Everything we’re working on right now is announced, except for one thing…Well, Eternity II is not announced, but it seems silly for me not to acknowledge it, though. If someone asks: “Are you working on it?”, I respond: “Well, wouldn’t you work on it?”. So then they say: “So you must be working on it”, and then I’m like: “Well, yeah”. How do you even get around that? It’s tough. So we have Eternity, Tyranny, the Pathfinder Adventures card game, and then there’s Armored Warfare. And that sucks up all but a few people. We’re looking at what the next thing will be that we’re going to make. We have Tim Cain working for us and Leonard Boyarsky has come to work for us recently. So I let people put two and two together.

r3n4ud

This...this place certainly has changed since I first started coming here all them years ago.

On another note, pretty excited for NotCoD. Love me some stupid fun.

Never really seen someone make a whole thread for it, considering giveaways are usually here or in the Free To A Good Home one. Since this locks during the sale, giveaways tend to just happen in the Summer Sale thread. I don't see any issue with what you're thinking of doing, but I'd keep it here personally since it'd require some participation in the Steam community.

I want to say I've seen a few. KenOD may have done one or two once upon a time if I'm not mistaken... but this was a few years ago before modbot took off and everyone started dumping bundle spares in here.

Any pixel buffs here? I know this is the Steam OT but I didn't want to bump the PC build thread for such a small and probably stupid question.

I have a really strong PC that can get 4k on some games but I only have a 1080 monitor. Does this mean the 4k will just be downscaled to 1080? Is there any visual difference between a 4k game on a 1080 monitor vs a 1080 game on a 1080 monitor?

Yes, there can be.

Rendering things at 4k resolution and then scaling down to 1080p, called downsampling, will make things less jaggy and may reduce the need for AA.

I'm not really the guy to talk about it though, as I'm not usually worried about some jaggies, but there's a bunch of people in here who know more than I do about it. I think durante's GeDoSaTo can help with this as well as nVidia's built in DSR settings.

Edit: Heh, I caught your post before the edit. :D

Teggy

If only they would produce an anime...

Anime is for jerks.
Seriously tho, I would want to play the story, not watch it. Is there going to be a real anime, besides the little 5 minute things?

You never read about League of Legend's lore huh?

You don't say? Is there anyone on Steam GAF that might have a detailed knowledge of the lore? I especially like stories about foxgirls.

Well, every year, typically the day after Christmas, there's a thread made specifically for giving away games for the holiday season and I always wait until then to give away what I've stored up but I'm getting more this year than usual which is why I was thinking of doing a half year split.

But I can keep it to the Steam Summer Sale thread. My main concern is that the thread usually moves very quickly and if I'm giving away 100+ games it could easily be missed once a new page comes along. But that's fine. I don't really mind either way. I just want to make sure people all get a good chance at some free games.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
No, It's a new Vampire the Masquerade game. Boyarsky was project leader and art director on Bloodlines, Paradox has the license now, and already trademarked a new name (Vampire Bloodlines).

Cain and Boyarsky are also known for their work on Fallout 1 and 2 prior to forming Troika Games, so either is a possibility. Especially if they decide to try and revive that post-apocalyptic/Fallout spirital successor game Troika was working on before they closed.

Uzzy

Cain and Boyarsky are also known for their work on Fallout 1 and 2 prior to forming Troika Games, so either is a possibility. Especially if they decide to try and revive that post-apocalyptic/Fallout spirital successor game Troika was working on before they closed.

I'm down for either, though we've had some great post-apocalyptic RPG's more recently than a Vampire RPG. So I'd prefer the latter.

I'd also enjoy a Crusader Kings 2 style Vampire game from Paradox themselves.

Edit: Heh, I caught your post before the edit. :D

Haha. I caught it, too, but didn't feel qualified enough to give a good response.

I was just going to say "4k to 1080 is better than 1080 on a 1080 from what people say."

I'm a little bit ashamed because back in the day I was all about squeezing every ounce of power I could out of my beast. Deleting things feverishly to keep that space/no space ratio looking pretty. M/KB warrior. Taking aging pieces of hardware into the next generation, boldly, you could say.

Now, I'm probably swimming in bloatware. Can I play it on my couch? is my new motto.

Haha. I caught it, too, but didn't feel qualified enough to give a good response.

I was just going to say "4k to 1080 is better than 1080 on a 1080 from what people say."

I'm a little bit ashamed because back in the day I was all about squeezing every ounce of power I could out of my beast. Deleting things feverishly to keep that space/no space ratio looking pretty. M/KB warrior. Taking aging pieces of hardware into the next generation, boldly, you could say.

Now, I'm probably swimming in bloatware. Can I play it on my couch? is my new motto.

I knew I liked you for a reason. :)

Lomax

I'm not saying we won't ever see a game like Fallout, but all signs are pointing much more towards the V:TM game, from tweets to the trademark and so on. Those two guys being in his comment confirms all the other stuff, not vice versa.

Not to mention the fact that Obsidian already made a Fallout game and we already got Wasteland 2. I just don't see them making a game like that any time soon unless Bethesda has them do another one.

I'm surprised Paradox hasn't ventured any into DLC for CK2 along these lines. I know the mod community is there, but total conversion dlc seems like it could be pretty amazing. Or yeah, just a White Wolf grand strategy game has a lot of potential.

chronomac

But I can keep it to the Steam Summer Sale thread. My main concern is that the thread usually moves very quickly and if I'm giving away 100+ games it could easily be missed once a new page comes along. But that's fine. I don't really mind either way. I just want to make sure people all get a good chance at some free games.

I think it'll be fine, as long as you use the AUTOREPOST feature in ModBot.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm down for either, though we've had some great post-apocalyptic RPG's more recently than a Vampire RPG. So I'd prefer the latter.

I'm not saying we won't ever see a game like Fallout, but all signs are pointing much more towards the V:TM game, from tweets to the trademark and so on. Those two guys being in his comment confirms all the other stuff, not vice versa.

Not to mention the fact that Obsidian already made a Fallout game and we already got Wasteland 2. I just don't see them making a game like that any time soon unless Bethesda has them do another one.

Yeah, I'd buy either/both, a new quality WoD-esque game would be great, too. We'll probably see what it is after Tyranny is released.

I'd probably buy a Vampire CK2 game, watch hours of tutorial videos, get completely lost in the first few hours of gameplay, and then never play it again, too.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

tSosaRZ.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-FB7978DC73BC791B - Taken by hannes

MadGear

Halo Forge releasing on Windows 10....

I never expected that I would be so underwhelmed by an announcement of Halo coming to PC again ... . Hopefully this is just a start, I actually enjoyed the couple of hours I spent with the multiplayer of Halo 5 and wonder how well it would play on a PC.
I would even give the SP a shot. I only played a couple of missions at a friends place but the narrow Field of View made me feel claustrophobic, so this is something they could improve with a PC version.

Lomax

I'd probably buy a Vampire CK2 game, watch hours of tutorial videos, get completely lost in the first few hours of gameplay, and then never play it again, too.

That's me with CK2. I've spent many more hours reading people's recounting of their play time than I have playing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom