• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Any Android fans here? What ya think?
Press [F] to pay respects to Apple users for the only way they can customize anything is by being creating simple folders.

Slick live wallpaper is from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tyron.pixel

VbxZEfM.gif

This live wallpaper looks really nice... but it randomly opens ads on your home screen

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, figured out what the problem was, i still had my 360 controller plugged in so it was goofing

works great, cool

also got 16 gigs of ram so feeling pretty pleased :>

Just turn the sensitivity for that to 0 and it'll just be a another set of buttons pretty much if you set gestures.
is that useful?

Inb4 Obsidian TES: Redguards spinoff.

I honestly wouldn't mind a proper and good pirate RPG tho
gross

fallout

make another fallout

Put it back in its box and get an Xbox one controller.
i hate batteries, so no

Makes you wonder why they didn't do any sort of campaign so they could get more story out there.
cos overwatch is awesome as it is and not every game needs a campaign

Couple of things: Click on Settings and check "Hide DS4 Controller". It'll get rid of the "Wireless Controller" that will confuse some games into thinking you have two controllers. You can also set it to run at startup there..

As for the touchpad, I recommend opening up the default profile (or whatever profile you use) and checking "Start with Slide/Scroll off" (bottom left of the config window). This will disable the touchpad until you need it. The way to turn it on and off is by touching the touchpad and pressing the PS button.

You can also just click on "Use for Controls" instead of having it set as a mouse. Then swipes can be mapped to anything you want. Buttons, keyboard presses, music stuff.
thank for the tips!

KingKong

I can't get into Salt and Sanctuary at all. Even if you look past the art style, it feels like they've taken all the wrong lessons from Dark Souls

zkylon

zkylewd
Still you can't say it wouldn't have been interesting to see.
for sure but it's like league, i LOVE lore stuff but riot/blizz are so freaking good at designing characters that you get to know them and enjoy their personalities through their gameplay and their designs alone.

you can have an overarching story develop through shorts and comics and short stories and videos and minigames on flash like league does or big events or whatnot

like, league killed one of its champions and revived them and has had friends become enemies and friends again with some of their story events lately

so yeah i'd like it cos i'm mostly a singleplayer person but i can totally get behind this style of storytelling cos i've seen it work in league

rtcn63

I can't get into Salt and Sanctuary at all. Even if you look past the art style, it feels like they've taken all the wrong lessons from Dark Souls

I've always had a somewhat hard time grasping how Dark Souls could be translated to 2D and not get partially (if not entirely) lost in translation. It's hard to explain, but I think one of the the primary draws of the series is the three-dimensional world and all the possibilities such an environment can utilitize. Especially with regards to combat and exploration.

KingKong

I've always had a somewhat hard time grasping how Dark Souls could be translated to 2D and not get partially (if not entirely) lost in translation. It's hard to explain, but I think one of the the primary draws of the series is the three-dimensional world and all the possibilities such an environment can utilitize. Especially with regards to combat and exploration.

Its definitely weird to have whats basically a 3d castlevania translated back into a 2d castlevania with the mechanics that were only added because it was 3d

mp1990

Banned
Still you can't say it wouldn't have been interesting to see.
I definitely could. Unless we're talking about a whole new project made from scratch, I couldn't see a single player campaign fitting Overwatch, as cool as the characters are. The mechanics just wouldn't translate to a campaign experience, it would feel completely out of place.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Its a castlevania (or metroidvania if you prefer) game with dark souls trappings, not the other way around. There is more exploration, shortcuts and backtracking than any Souls game except maybe Dark Souls 1. Feel free to dislike the game but at least do it for the right reasons

rtcn63

What's it like to dunk without jumping?

long-neck-reaction.jpg

Its a castlevania (or metroidvania if you prefer) game with dark souls trappings, not the other way around. There is more exploration, shortcuts and backtracking than any Souls game except maybe Dark Souls 1. Feel free to dislike the game but at least do it for the right reasons

Don't mind me, I'm always skeptical about things. I'd probably quite like the game, although the graphics do look like something you'd need to get used to. Kinda hard to see.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Relevant to (most) of the thread, Overwatch is a midnight UK release so its out in the evening of the 23rd (Monday) for you 'Muricans

SNTOIV1A47FU1463647844262.png

Thanks to HP Wuvcraft, I get to shill am gonna post some impressions for Army of Tentacles: (Not) a Cthulhu Dating Sim.

The story: You play Perry, a female (unless you're a male, in which case almost everyone calls you a female anyway as a running gag) half-Deep One half-human who has to amass an army and invade the world. It actually is not a dating sim, but apparently if you buy the DLC, there's a New Game+ where that option can open up. Again, just going by the achievement list. I'm not overly familiar with the source material of HP Lovecraft beyond existing pop culture references (I know, I know!) but it's pretty straightforward and just lets you enjoy the ride without thinking about it too much.

The dialogue and voices: The dialogue is light-hearted and self-referential, with lots of pop culture references and "le memes," as the kids call them these days (they still do that right?) The voices for the most part are really well done (including a cameo by Chris Avellone!) but it's kinda jarring to have the protagonist be the only unvoiced character. And they could have gone over the subtitles with a fine-toothed spellcheck comb, if you get my drift.

The gameplay: The battles are dialogue-based, it's a sort of rebut-the-argument system, similar to Monkey Island's swordfighting-and-repartee, with a dash of Phoenix Wright and a pinch of Dark Scavenger. It does require outside knowledge - anything from nursery rhymes to Shakespeare to hagiography to American history to classic television to indie gaming. So if you don't know things, have that alt-tab ready. You have exactly two stats: sanity (health points, number of wrong battle-dialogue answers you can give before dying) and intelligence (which gives more dialogue options to recruit party members.) My recommendation is to put everything into intelligence, because the only way to restore sanity is by resting a LOT, so you might as well just let yourself die if you get answers wrong, restore and do it perfectly...yes, you heard me correctly, savescumming is the recommended way to play. I ain't wasting a month of game time just so I can get two extra wrong answers, screw that. Anyway, you also get two weapon and two armor slots. They don't cost money but they have requirements to unlock, and then you just pick them up. If you want to be able to switch, then you have to unequip the one you've got and set your weapon/armor to "none" to be able to pick up the second one.

Overall the gameplay is innovative, and dare I say pretty fun, but they could have been clearer about some aspects of gameplay (like the armor/weapon switching, or greyed-out dialogue choices showing you need more intelligence to actually use that,) and it would have been really cool if the enemies could reply to specific rebuttals instead of just counter with one stock response.

The length: Steam profile time says 3.3 hours to finish the game (I got a bad ending.) It probably will be less for you, because I spent some time doing QA with HP Wuvcraft. So it's quick for what they call an RPG, but about average for a dialogue-based adventure game/visual novel.

The verdict: If you're looking to date Cthulhu, this game isn't for you. If you like your games serious, give this a pass. If you prefer your games meme-free, can't recommend. But if you want a mix of cheap laughs, strategic dialogue choices and fetch quests, then this one could be worth your hard-earned bucks.

Rhaknar

The amount of metroidvanias, fighting games and jrpgs on PC right now would make my tiny little brain explode 5 years ago

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Im happy with how Fighters, JRPGs and Visual Novels are doing these days. Its great to see more variety on Steam.

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I've finally sat down and am starting a Pillars of Eternity playthrough. I'm glad to say I'm starting to get into it. I've been reading a lot, so this game will probably take me 80 hours. The question is, do I put a pause on it to play Blood and Wine, or do I back-burner Witcher 3? I'm leaning towards just sticking with Pillars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom