• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
idk what this means

it means dying behind walls is part of the experience

and the lag compensation gets me killed when activating Zenyatta's ult lol

There's a part of me that wonders if Blizzard did the whole lower tick rate thing intentionally to scare away elitists and the ultra competitive because they know they'd just be toxic to the player base.

but that goes against Blizz wanting this game to be esports

they just did it cause they're cheap

Tellaerin

Excited! Just had that joyous flush of excitement when it dawned on me that Mankind Divided is now less than three months away - and Dishonored 2 is less than three months after that. Good times for stealthy gaming.

Hopefully Mankind Divided will cater equally well to the direct approach for people who want to go that route. "You can resolve situations however you choose, as long as you choose to avoid open combat" isn't exactly a glowing endorsement of player freedom to me.

To be fair, I don't think that's going to be an issue with the game, from what I've seen and read so far. Just kind of bothers me when people start telling me that sneaking all the time, every time/nonlethal playthroughs are the only "right" way to play the DX games, and if you're not doing that, you're "playing it wrong". :s

20 ticks? 20 fleas? 20 leeches?

20 ticks per second to the server. So it knows exactly where you are at those times and extrapolates the rest. It can lead to situations where you're hit in spots that seem weird or missing shots that seem certain (as well as the reverse), due to the server essentially guessing what happened during those periods.

It doesn't feel bad to me, but I'm not any kind of super competitive player so I probably wouldn't notice anyways.

Tellaerin

I like sneaking around and not killing anyone in games where stealth and non-lethal is a viable option.

I'm cool with that. It just annoys me when even the developers say their game's supposed to give you the freedom to approach things "your way", but a vocal portion of the fanbase insist that it is actually a pure stealth game and browbeat anyone who thinks otherwise.

(Full disclosure: My first playthough of Human Revolution could've been subtitled, "Adam Jensen's Fists of Steel", because I used nonlethal takedowns on everyone. The only exceptions were the bosses and when I was fighting to
save Malik
. But the reason I went that route was because I really enjoyed rolling up on enemies and performing those takedowns, especially the multiple target ones, and not because it was "the right way to play the game".)

Jawmuncher

I like sneaking around and not killing anyone in games where stealth and non-lethal is a viable option.

Coward

I'm cool with that. It just annoys me when even the developers say their game's supposed to give you the freedom to approach things "your way", but a vocal portion of the fanbase insist that it is actually a pure stealth game and browbeat anyone who thinks otherwise.

(Full disclosure: My first playthough of Human Revolution could've been subtitled, "Adam Jensen's Fists of Steel", because I used nonlethal takedowns on everyone. The only exceptions were the bosses and when I was fighting to
save Malik
. But the reason I went that route was because I really enjoyed rolling up on enemies and performing those takedowns, especially the multiple target ones, and not because it was "the right way to play the game".)

Human Revolution was totally a stealth game over anything else. I'm still bitter about it to this day. Last time I was ever fooled by a CG trailer....that Icarus trailer is still like the best trailer ever made though.

data

it's fine as long as it's censored right

tumblr_nyljvucs1b1ui28jfo1_500.gif

Possible Deus Ex Mankind Divided news in 15 hours?

https://augaware.org/en-us/
At first I was not interested at all in Mankind Divided despite loving the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution but lately I really got excited for it. They style, setting and tone. So good.
Eerily similar to how it went with Fallout 4. Didn't like almost anything about it at first but afterwards started being very interested in it, heh.
I'm pretty confident that the only difference we're going to get out of the new consoles is IQ differences.

Every other upgrade to a console has had major component upgrades outside of just CPU/GPU.

SegaCD had a huge capacity boost that wasn't possible on cartridge.

32X was night and day difference. Though it still could use the SegaCD to pull data from.

The N64 expansion pack only resulted in two games being exclusive to it. And one of the games included the damn thing. So it only had 1 exclusive game. All other games that supported the expansion pack allowed you to flip a HQ mode in the options.

If PS4.5 and X1.5 retain 8GB of total RAM, the general architecture of GCN and AMD CPU remaining the same with the possibility of a few extra extensions for the new models, there is way more similarity between these models that are upgrading versus previous console upgrades.
Well said and I hope it turns out like you say. Doesn't make much sense but there's that little fear in the back of the head that these beefed up new consoles could make my PC become outdated quicker than expected.
Agree. In Dishonored I started playing the early levels as an all-out action game, then as a predator killer and settled finally on a non-lethal ghost style. That was the most rewarding.

Tellaerin

Human Revolution was totally a stealth game over anything else. I'm still bitter about it to this day. Last time I was ever fooled by a CG trailer....that Icarus trailer is still like the best trailer ever made though.

I got the impression you'll be able to go balls out this time from the Mankind Divided 101 trailer. At least I'm hoping so, anyway. I mean, if you sink most of your points into combat augs, you should be able to take the direct approach - that's what you're paying for, just like the guy who buys all the stealth options gets to be better at sneaking around.

tuxfool

Banned
this 20 tick garbage sounds like a perfect excuse for ppl that don't wanna own up to their own mistakes

It is very much an issue. But it depends on your level of skill. For a casual game it is perfectly sufficient, but once it becomes competitive this sort of thing feels sloppy.

As noted you can actually get shot through a wall, because lag compensation on the shooter shows you as visible, so it registers as a valid shot. While you the unlagged, actually moved behind the wall, but you didn't see the other player shoot before you moved.

On the flipside, increasing the tickrate hurts the laggier players more because the update interval becomes a smaller ratio vis-a-vis the lag times.

Jawmuncher

I got the impression you'll be able to go balls out this time from the Mankind Divided 101 trailer. At least I'm hoping so, anyway. I mean, if you sink most of your points into combat augs, you should be able to take the direct approach - that's what you're paying for, just like the guy who buys all the stealth options gets to be better at sneaking around.

I'm hoping they tailor it that way for the sequel. Since in HR, even with Augs it was easier to just spend points in invisibility and go through areas like that. Since even with points in combat styled stuff, you still had to play tactically.

At first I was not interested at all in Mankind Divided despite loving the original Deus Ex and Human Revolution but lately I really got excited for it. They style, setting and tone. So good.
Eerily similar to how it went with Fallout 4. Didn't like almost anything about it at first but afterwards started being very interested in it, heh.
All signs pointed to it's going to be a great game, I haven't seen anything that said otherwise.

Lomax

this 20 tick garbage sounds like a perfect excuse for ppl that don't wanna own up to their own mistakes

Didn't you know that every gamer on Gaf has hyper senses that allow them to flawlessly detect the lag difference of three hundredths of a second? It's totally true.

Jawmuncher

Summed up game might be delayed to July or August. Really nothing more to it. To me it makes sense. For a game that releases next month, the marketing has been pretty light and really spread too far apart.

Lain

That's a lot of punishment to sit through to have a "good" game.
You should never have to suffer through a slog to get to the good part.
Reminds me of the people who go "FF13 is good once you spend 30 hours and get to Gran Pulse".

Yeah those people are weird.
FFXIII is good from minute 1.

Jawmuncher

A delay announced a month before release, when was the last time something like that happened?

There's gotta be a few

Yeah those people are weird.
FFXIII is good from minute 1.

I actually like XIII it's a decent JRPG. If it wasn't called FF I think more people wouldn't dislike it so much. Was more just using that as an example. I've always been big on a game should be entertaining without much work needed from the player to an extent. Getting good at a game or a game starting slow story wise I wouldn't consider in that category.

r3n4ud

A delay announced a month before release, when was the last time something like that happened?
What was that pirate game on Steam that was delayed a couple times right before release? Pretty sure they delayed it a few days before release lol

Not a high profile game, but funny nonetheless. And it still turned out to be a turd when it finally released.

mp1990

Banned
I think Mirror's Edge Catalyst but I'm not sure? Also Batman Arkham Knight but let's not talk about that one here.

On the tick issue: I did noticed it on the beta, when I'd activate D.va's ult and it would take a few seconds for it to be registered, but I don't think it's such a game breaker as some people are painting it. And furthermore, in private matches you can adjust it so it has a 60 tick rate, so it's not like it'll hurt the game's competitive scene.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think Mirror's Edge Catalyst but I'm not sure? Also Batman Arkham Knight but let's not talk about that one here.

On the tick issue: I did noticed it on the beta, when I'd activate D.va's ult and it would take a few seconds for it to be registered, but I don't think it's such a game breaker as some people are painting it. And furthermore, in private matches you can adjust it so it has a 60 tick rate, so it's not like it'll hurt the game's competitive scene.

Err what? Thats a strange example, D.Va's ult takes a few seconds to explode, thats what it does.

mp1990

Banned
Err what? Thats a strange example, D.Va's ult takes a few seconda to explode, thats what it does.
My bad, I meant her "second" ultra, where you get the armor back.

Though I had a few situation where I'd click the ult button and it took a few seconds for her to throw the armor.

Lomax

If you noticed it, it can't possibly be the tick rate. 1/20th of a second is not "a few seconds." The difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/20th of a second is 1/33rd of a second. Again, not even close to "a few seconds." If they have shitty laggy servers, fine, that's a perfectly reasonable complaint. But that problem isn't the tick rate.

Maybe maybe maybe some people would "feel" the difference in the tick rates during the flow of play, that's possible. But the whole "oh I was shot behind a wall" or "oh my ability didn't activate" isn't because it updates a fraction of a second less often. Or because it extrapolates two frames.

Back in my day, we called that "lag". :p

Yeah, exactly lol

Tellaerin

If you noticed it, it can't possibly be the tick rate. 1/20th of a second is not "a few seconds." The difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/20th of a second is 1/33rd of a second. Again, not even close to "a few seconds." If they have shitty laggy servers, fine, that's a perfectly reasonable complaint. But that problem isn't the tick rate.

Maybe maybe maybe some people would "feel" the difference in the tick rates during the flow of play, that's possible. But the whole "oh I was shot behind a wall" or "oh my ability didn't activate" isn't because it updates a fraction of a second less often. Or because it extrapolates two frames.

Back in my day, we called that "lag". :p

mp1990

Banned

True, I didn't think of that. Honestly, I had no idea what tick was before seeing people complaining about it, and once those started to pop in, I just thought my problem was related to it.

It would be very weird if it was just lag though, as I had no trouble with my internet connection during the Beta period. Oh well, you never know.

(also sorry for my rough english, I'm tired as hell ><)

What mistakes? Everything I said about this game was true.

the designs are ass, the maps are cramped, the movement sucks, there's no teamwork, the characters are lame and everything in this game I already did in TF2

bad game everybody go play CSGO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom