• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHK3

Banned
What could I do/What is the source cause of poor frametimes? I get a 60fps counter but it feels very choppy at the same time, I check my frametimes using rivatuner and I see it jump around a lot but it feels worse then the graph says. Is something else happening? http://puu.sh/p5teV/c7bb7f618d.png

1. The port is a fucking mess, at least on my end. Numerous times the game would boot up and run at 10-12 fps without anything having been changed. Had to redownload and install twice.

The PC port for me was usually running even worse than the PS3 version, and this with DSFix. Although I guess it might have been something wrong on my hand with settings and stuff.

DS2 with its buttery smooth 60fps felt like a dream after playing the first game.

kagamin

The PC port for me was usually running even worse than the PS3 version, and this with DSFix. Although I guess it might have been something wrong on my hand with settings and stuff.

DS2 with its buttery smooth 60fps felt like a dream after playing the first game.

Dark Souls 2 does indeed run like a dream.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
What could I do/What is the source cause of poor frametimes? I get a 60fps counter but it feels very choppy at the same time, I check my frametimes using rivatuner and I see it jump around a lot but it feels worse then the graph says. Is something else happening? http://puu.sh/p5teV/c7bb7f618d.png

Sounds like you're experiencing trouble with frametimes rather than framerate. Are you capping your framerate via vsync? You might try capping it via rivatuner instead. For some reason, this really helps smooth out the frametime in games like Witcher 3, and Dragon's Dogma.

Durante even wrote about it for Witcher 3.

Deques

I understand that everyone here is excited for Overwatch and this typically being a "PC Gaming General" thread I've tolerated a lot of the off-topic Overwatch talk that's been going on here. This sort of thing tends to happen in this thread when a relatively popular PC game launches outside of the Steam ecosystem, like Dragon Age Inquisition did, like Titanfall did, like Diablo 3 did, etc. The hype typically dies down after a few days and everyone goes back to talking about the latest Sakura game, Salsa's latest 100MB Rocket League gifs, or what games we're looking forward to seeing released on Steam.

I would like to once again gently remind people that NeoGAF has a large and thriving Overwatch fanbase that have been discussing the game over in the Gaming Side OT. I would ask that you take your Overwatch talk over there out of respect for the others in this thread that aren't playing the game or don't plan on playing the game because it's not on Steam.

As mods we try to stay pretty lenient towards what happens in this thread (as long as someone doesn't egregiously break the site rules) so this isn't a warning so much as a request.

You used to be cool before you became a mod.

Now you are cooler than cool!

red capsule

someone sent me a friend request on Steam

- username was a bunch of numbers
- had 0.4 hours of dota played
- no friends
- i accepted (no clue why tbh)
- then he (or she) removed me 6 mins later

what's that about?

same thing happened like 4 months ago
but guy (or girl) had japanese letters/symbols in username

Pixieking

Banned
It's completely and utterly false. Chubigans had no issues handing out keys for The Oil Blue to those who'd purchased the non-Steam version over the years, for instance. The dev is simply counting on some people to double-dip.

Yeahhhhh... I just posted a polite message there saying he might want to "double check with his Valve rep, since people will get annoyed by it". Which is true, and gives him a chance to change his mind before a small but shouty contingent of the internet descends.

You know, this has happened so often in the past, it's a wonder devs still make the same "mistake".

Deques

How did Mighty No 9 turn from this

mightyno9_delay.jpg

into this?

GpGfsxQ.png

Yeah, it seems DS2 was their best port indeed.
DS3 wasn't nearly as good as DS2 with all the issues for some people.

someone sent me a friend request on Steam

- username was a bunch of numbers
- had 0.4 hours of dota played
- no friends
- i accepted (no clue why tbh)
- then he (or she) removed me 6 mins later

what's that about?

same thing happened like 4 months ago
but guy (or girl) had japanese letters/symbols in username

Why did you accept it?

2014-11-28_07-08-36.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How did Mighty No 9 turn from this

into this?
One of the biggest clusterfucks in history.

Also, after MML3 there was basically no way to disappoint MM fans any harder by traditional development process, so they had to get them to become investors somehow and even pull together a lot of team members of classics. That plus a lot of great concept presentation would generate a solid hope of actually being responsible to get things right before diving it into the ground because MM fans have to remain the most cursed of all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This reviewer last played/used Half-Life 2: Episode Two on 2 January, 1970, which was before it was released. This review may not accurately reflect the state of the released version.

Valve Time.

BHK3

Banned
Sounds like you're experiencing trouble with frametimes rather than framerate. Are you capping your framerate via vsync? You might try capping it via rivatuner instead. For some reason, this really helps smooth out the frametime in games like Witcher 3, and Dragon's Dogma.

Durante even wrote about it for Witcher 3.
I wrote frame times and mentioned rivatuner with a pic. Idk if its in my head or something but it feels very choppy to me (game I'm testing is rainbow six siege).

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I wrote frame times and mentioned rivatuner with a pic. Idk if its in my head or something but it feels very choppy to me (game I'm testing is rainbow six siege).

Sorry, that was some bad reading on my part.

Is it online games that feel choppy? It might "just" be latency.

If it was an online Source engine game, I could tell you that capping the framerate is a real bad idea since it dramatically affects hit detection. But I doubt Siege works the same though, since I seem to remember the beta having a vsync option.

Are you using the bench mark to test it? Does the bench feel similarly choppy? Is it constant, or does it happen when there's a lot of action and particles? Does it feel the same full screen, windowed, and borderless windowed?

Pixieking

Banned
Fuck yes, Rimworld coming to Steam soon.

This is like Prison Architect/Dwarf Fortress/Factorio extraplanetary survival.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/

https://ludeon.com/blog/2016/05/steam-release-this-summer-with-scenario-system/

header.jpg

This is strange

The dev clarified it in the coments:

Valve’s rule isn’t against giving keys to people after the game is out. It is against selling keys before the game is available on Steam.

I am also able to generate all the keys I like. But, as I’ve been specifically told by Valve, I’m not allowed to sell those keys right now. That’s why I don’t promise keys.

So, to summarize. Later, I’ll be allowed to give keys to everyone. But now, I’m just not allowed to sell those keys, until the Steam release. Note the subtle but important difference.

The turtles are getting hammered on steam. Not because of 30fps (I rarely see reviews mentioning one). The majority of complaints are related to the core game itself, and even combat. I honestly didn't expect that. Platinum games and all..

JaseC

I think he's either getting his wires crossed or has been misinformed. Plenty of games offer or did offer pre-release access via Steam ahead of a release on the Steam Store.

Edit: It's obvious he's backtracking:

Will I get a Steam key?
– It depends when you bought the game. If you bought the game on or before November 4, 2014 you will get a key when the game is released on Steam. If you bought the game after that, we will try to get you a Steam key but Valve’s policies prevent us from being able to guarantee this.

The above isn't some impressive-for-all-the-wrong-reasons typo. He is very clearly avoiding a commitment to providing Steam keys at all to those who purchased after 02/11/14.

Pixieking

Banned
I think he's either getting his wires crossed or has been misinformed. Plenty of games offer or did offer pre-release access via Steam ahead of a release on the Steam Store.

Yeah, but I can't post about it again without coming across rather antagonistic/argumentative. It'd be different if I was a dev (I could just say "It works like this! See?"), but since I'm not, I can't see how to explain without being pushy. :/

JaseC

Yeah, but I can't post about it again without coming across rather antagonistic/argumentative. It'd be different if I was a dev (I could just say "It works like this! See?"), but since I'm not, I can't see how to explain without being pushy. :/

Yeah, I'd just drop it. He's not going to change his mind. But at least he's taken a step back from "I can't promise keys to late purchasers".

Tizoc

The funniest thing is, it could be fixed with a different shader style.

Thank goodness for mods eh?

The turtles are getting hammered on steam. Not because of 30fps (I rarely see reviews mentioning one). The majority of complaints are related to the core game itself, and even combat. I honestly didn't expect that. Platinum games and all..

IMHO the combat and animations are nice, I really like Donatello's animations for example.
However this game really should've been a linear game ala TF: Devastation, this semi-open world design with different objectives that need to be completed to unlock the boss area, it is good in theory but a typical linear action game would've been fine.

Bosses having multiple health bars is kinda cool imho, but the way they designed the game was so that multiplayer and having all 4 turtles on the screen could've been done way better.

What I don't get though is how sometimes they use the Nick cartoon designs and then in other games they use different looking designs.

bjaelke

Planned on playing Doom or Far Harbor tonight since I'm going out of town for the weekend. Played Rocket League all night instead

Solid decision. I ended up getting RL on Steam last night so I didn't have to turn on my PS4 every time I needed an excuse not to play other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom