• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm debating between:

Way of the Samurai 4 ($9, will certainly be cheaper)
Lego Jurassic World ($8.50, will only be cheaper once it gets a base price drop)
Humble Eye Candy ($9 to go to top tier, four games)
Humble Monthly ($12, Rocket League + mystery bundle)

I don't play multiplayer games (not counting MMOs) so I'm iffy on Rocket League. WotS4 is probably the one I want most, but it will be cheaper. I really want Evoland II, but I'm sure it will be rebundled, and I only kinda want the three BTA games (the $1 tier is a given, so I don't factor that in). And I have a ton of Lego games I haven't played yet, so I really don't need another one. And yet it would only be roughly $40 to get all of it...

On a certain level, relatively meaningless mental debates like this seem to be what I enjoy most about PC gaming/collecting. At least it must be, because I sure do buy way more games than I ever play.

Clearly it's Amsterdam, Missouri.

You know you want it, get Way of the Samurai 4! It's the cheapest it's ever been, and you will get a crapton of hours of entertainment out of it.

neonglow

I'm debating between:

Way of the Samurai 4 ($9, will certainly be cheaper)
Lego Jurassic World ($8.50, will only be cheaper once it gets a base price drop)
Humble Eye Candy ($9 to go to top tier, four games)
Humble Monthly ($12, Rocket League + mystery bundle)

I don't play multiplayer games (not counting MMOs) so I'm iffy on Rocket League. WotS4 is probably the one I want most, but it will be cheaper. I really want Evoland II, but I'm sure it will be rebundled, and I only kinda want the three BTA games (the $1 tier is a given, so I don't factor that in). And I have a ton of Lego games I haven't played yet, so I really don't need another one. And yet it would only be roughly $40 to get all of it...

On a certain level, relatively meaningless mental debates like this seem to be what I enjoy most about PC gaming/collecting. At least it must be, because I sure do buy way more games than I ever play.

Clearly it's Amsterdam, Missouri.

If you plan to play WotS4 right now, I would get it. If it just goes into your backlog, I would just get the Humble Monthly.

Soulflarz

Banned
vanguard princess was okay

obviously super short, story can be done in 30m

I feel like it's not...exactly playable for too long <_>

Lomax

Thoughts on Windows 10 vs Windows 7?

Upgrade now while it's still free, there's very little reason not to. In the long run you won't want or need to be on Win 7 any more.

You know you want it, get Way of the Samurai 4! It's the cheapest it's ever been, and you will get a crapton of hours of entertainment out of it.

If you plan to play WotS4 right now, I would get it. If it just goes into your backlog, I would just get the Humble Monthly.

$9 seems a fortune to spend on a single game to me these days, especially since once it hits 75% off it would only be $6. And I'm a terrible judge of whether or not I'll play something right away or not.

I should probably just flip the copy of Rocket League but there's a part of me that wants to play it (mostly for the BttF car which of course would cost me more).

Hektor

i don't know why you got that out of my comment

i'm saying it's kind of depressing that this movie was so expensive to make when it's this barebones

at least if you're gonna spend all that money spend it on SOMETHING

I got the impression you had more of an issue with the budget than with the actual content of the movie. My bad.

Thoughts on Windows 10 vs Windows 7?

The upgrade is going to be mandatory at some point anyways.

Nzyme32

10 is better.

It'll be a bit of a shock making that jump. I did the jump from 8.1 to 10after 10 was out six months. I didn't have a problem, but others did. It's fine, fast, and I like the Start Screen.

Windows 8.1 with StartIsBack+.

Most of the Windows 10 improvements over Windows 7 are actually in Windows 8.1 without the auto-update madness.

win 10 is fine, you probably want to upgrade if it's free cos certain new games won't work on win 7

imo win 7 was better but this works

i actually enjoyed win 8.1 better than 10

Upgrade now while it's still free, there's very little reason not to. In the long run you won't want or need to be on Win 7 any more.

The upgrade is going to be mandatory at some point anyways.

Ucchedav&#257;da;202959989 said:
I don't regret upgrading, and haven't run into any problems (did a clean install to avoid weirdness), though I did install Classic Shell after seeing the default start menu.

Cheers guys!

I'll make the jump, although from what I've read, you can't do a straight fresh install off the bat - and I only have the Win 7 upgrade disk meant for Vista, so I have to do a registry hack to legitimise it. It should work though, it just means having to install 7 and then upgrade to 10, and then do the fresh install.

Are there any guides on how to turn off all the "privacy fluff" like cortana, keylogger crap and alike?

I've been trying to figure out why your numbers are a few hundred more than mine, and I think it's because of the following:
- Games you own will never show up in the queue, but if they were in your queue before you buy them, they still count for your number
- Games removed from sale will never show up in the queue, but if they were in your queue before you buy them, they still count for your number

So basically to get the true maximum number, you'd have to a) own 0 games when the Discovery update happened, and b) every day go through the entire new queue to make sure you vote on everything before things get removed or you buy them. I think I own more games on Steam than you do, and probably did when the Discovery update happened, so that probably explains that. I also tend to buy pre-release bundles from Groupees and activate the games before they come up in my queue.
Discrepancy in game count makes sense but it still is weird though. There's almost a 2000 delta between your and my library, so the difference should be much much higher. There are games which got unlisted and are not available at all here in Germany but close to 2000? I don't think so. I started using the Exploration Queue probably around the 600 games mark.

zkylon

zkylewd
kind of wanna find that dreamcast and ps2 berserk games and try them out

i wonder if they were ever released in english

Teggy

Hey guys,

The GTX 1080 video finished processing and it's up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DkXYAIp7vs

Based on Nvidia's graph, it looks like a 1080 is

20% faster than a Titan X
50% faster than a 980
70% faster than a 970

It would seem I already hurt one Nvidia fans feelings with my video.

They really don't like it when you mock team green.

Edit: also for those that didn't see from before, it would seem that running games ultra @4k won't hit 60fps on the 1080. Gonna have to wait another year for that.

Hm...I really want to upgrade, that was my plan. But I am running 2x 780 which tends to match a single 980ti in benchmarks so it's not going to be a massive upgrade. But I don't want to wait for the 1080ti...

I was very close to dropping Demons Souls for good this afternoon after my umpteenth fall to my death off a rickety bridge due to the crappy lock-on system. But I did a little reading and it looks like I went 1-1, 2-1, 5-1 (got to the boss before finding the shortcut and then struggled getting back), 4-1 (again didn't find the shorcut). So I will give it another try by doing 3-1.

I did look up the 4-1 shortcut on YouTube. I don't understand why the 1-1 and 2-1 shortcuts are essentially part of getting to the boss but the 4-1 shortcut is like a Super Mario roll-over-the-secret-wall kind of thing.

It's not like 1,2,3 etc are official things anyway. They don't give you any indication of suggested order.

Finally took down
The Nameless King
to beat every Dark Souls 3 boss. Maybe now I'll have to try a character who uses spells, I've never used spells in Dark Souls aside from the Spook spell the assassin class starts with.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Overwatch's waifus are top tier. Mei and D-Va especially. Man this game has some amazing character designs

About the GTX 1080 & 1070 Founders Editions...

http://videocardz.com/59718/nvidia-gtx-1080-gtx-1070-founders-edition-explained

Well to put this as short as possible, Founders Edition is nothing more than typical reference edition. It is not using higher quality components, it is not overclocked nor does it use higher binned chips. It simply is reference edition that will ship before custom solutions.

Remains to be seen if that's truly the only difference but as of now that's what they are saying

zkylon

zkylewd
b5gcBA0.gif

only a few hours left for that arcadian atlas srpg

it's very possibly gonna get funded but u know

Grief.exe

I want to grab a couple of Star Wars games, but on the other hand they might show up in a Humble Bundle again.

I definitely won't be playing them anytime soon (Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Stellaris, Factorio), but, as a good SteamGAFer, I want them for some indiscriminate time in the future.

Overwatch's waifus are top tier. Mei and D-Va especially. Man this game has some amazing character designs

All of the character designs are just extremely polished and oozing charm.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I want to grab a couple of Star Wars games, but on the other hand they might show up in a Humble Bundle again.

I definitely won't be playing them anytime soon (Overwatch, Dark Souls III, Stellaris, Factorio), but, as a good SteamGAFer, I want them for some indiscriminate time in the future.

All of the character designs are just extremely polished and oozing charm.

I wouldnt say all, there are some duds like Soldier Random Number and Death from Darksiders with a trenchcoat, but overall yeah its top notch. The whole game is in fact. Im still undecided on what to do, it sure is fun tho

Ozium

Cheers guys!

I'll make the jump, although from what I've read, you can't do a straight fresh install off the bat - and I only have the Win 7 upgrade disk meant for Vista, so I have to do a registry hack to legitimise it. It should work though, it just means having to install 7 and then upgrade to 10, and then do the fresh install.

Are there any guides on how to turn off all the "privacy fluff" like cortana, keylogger crap and alike?

if you have your win7 product key you can just use the media creation tool from microsoft to make a win10 iso, install that and then enter your win7 product key and it will register.

Phawx

I'm thinking of getting the 1070 to replace my R9 290. I just can't justify the cost of the 1080 as much as I'd like to get it.

Yea I want to replace my 290 as well. I only paid $230 for it, but I really want to be able to encode 4k and because my 290 is a reference model, it gets loud which makes recording from my mic an extra problem.

Think I might just bite the bullet and go for a 1080 and probably sell it when AMD Vega10 comes out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I love how absolutely adorable and cute Meis character is and yet is a complete bastard on the battlefield who fucks shit up.

Parsnip

Cheers guys!

You can just do a fresh Win10 install now with a Win7 or Win8 key. It wasn't possible at launch, but it's possible with the current build that the media creation tool gives you.

As for the privacy stuff, during install you'll have the option to turn that stuff off.
Don't know about cortana though, it has never been available to me.

Grief.exe

You can just do a fresh Win10 install now with a Win7 or Win8 key. It wasn't possible at launch, but it's possible with the current build that the media creation tool gives you.

Oh that's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Checked their FAQ a few weeks ago and it still implied I needed to go through the whole fresh install of 8.1 > 10 upgrade > fresh install of 10 rigmarole. I'm still on the Windows 10 preview from last summer.

Was going to upgrade to a 5280k and new motherboard so I have the Windows 10 install locked to a new motherboard, which is my understanding of how that functions.

EDIT: Wait hold on a second.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?
If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.
If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.
If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.
Full version (Retail):
- Includes transfer rights to another computer.
- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
- Expensive
Upgrade version (Retail):
- Includes transfer rights to another computer.
- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.
- Expensive, but cheaper than full version
OEM :
OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:
- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on
- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard
- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
What happens if I change my motherboard?
As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

I wouldnt say all, there are some duds like Soldier Random Number and Death from Darksiders with a trenchcoat, but overall yeah its top notch. The whole game is in fact. Im still undecided on what to do, it sure is fun tho

I think I can agree with you there, some of the characters were misses.

Nzyme32

if you have your win7 product key you can just use the media creation tool from microsoft to make a win10 iso, install that and then enter your win7 product key and it will register.

As for the privacy stuff, during install you'll have the option to turn that stuff off.
Don't know about cortana though, it has never been available to me.

Oh nice, I'll try it that way then.

Regarding privacy stuff - I found a really nice tutorial on all the issues and optional stuff - https://youtu.be/u1kGMCfb2xw

It's both fascinating and ridiculous to see the lengths MS has gone for hiding away some of those things, although the tutorial seems to be by a guy that is much more sensitive to the whole privacy thing than I am.

Nzyme32

Oh that's interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

....... Hmm..

I wonder what mine is. I got a upgrade disc from windows vista to 7 via a MS student deal thing, and immediately after install (since Vista isn't installed) I have to do a registry edit so I can successfully activate it.

No idea if it is classed as OEM or retail

zkylon

zkylewd
so if my windows 8.1 license is retail then i can just change my motherboard and keep win 10?

that'd make me really happy

So is it? Or is it just a cosplayer?
says there's gonna be some cameos

idk how or why lol

Aaaannddd done. Picked up a lot more pace today than I would've thought. Happy for those folks.
yeah, sweet

that game looks awesome, kickstarter for me is all about srpgs lol

Echoplx

Oh that's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Checked their FAQ a few weeks ago and it still implied I needed to go through the whole fresh install of 8.1 > 10 upgrade > fresh install of 10 rigmarole. I'm still on the Windows 10 preview from last summer.

Was going to upgrade to a 5280k and new motherboard so I have the Windows 10 install locked to a new motherboard, which is my understanding of how that functions.

If it's anything like past OEM versions of Windows you can just go through an automated call with Microsoft to activate it on a new PC.

Phawx

If it's anything like past OEM versions of Windows you can just go through an automated call with Microsoft to activate it on a new PC.

I've done this so many times. Including moving one machine from physical to virtual. Didn't think it would allow it on a VM but they activated it no problem

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't know why people hold Miyazaki in such high esteem when he allowed this covenant bullshit to happen in Dark Souls 3. At least the DS2 team had bypasses for the shittier stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom