• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

Krai Mira (EA)

---

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

J0HDzVc.jpg

Caerith

I feel despertados is one of those games I hace a debt of playing but ehhh some other day. I'm on post witcha depresión phase right now, nothing sounds fun...

Maybe it's finally time to play persona 4, tho fallout 4 is soon and I'm gonna want to complain about that

You haven't played Persona 4? You really should do that first. Fallout 4 isn't out yet, and you should really wait until all the Season Pass DLC is out because you won't get the full experience unless you play with dog armor.

Random question time for SteamGAF:

For GTX cards, is MSI a decent/respected manufacturer? Saw newegg had a MSI GTX 970 for ~$300 and was considering it just to get the 9xx upgrade bug out of my system.

If I were to purchase that 970 and dump my GTX 770 2gb, what could I ask for it over in the B/S/T?

zkylon

zkylewd
You haven't played Persona 4? You really should do that first. Fallout 4 isn't out yet, and you should really wait until all the Season Pass DLC is out because you won't get the full experience unless you play with dog armor.
I've been saving it for a situation I really need it

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey I know people were really complaining about changes to Darkest Dungeon a few months back, does anyone know if the game is better now?

Lomax

Hey, that new Steam install popup that everyone else has probably had for ages on the beta is actually pretty nice.

Hey I know people were really complaining about changes to Darkest Dungeon a few months back, does anyone know if the game is better now?

Apparently they made most of the most hated new features optional. I've still lost interest in it, they seem to be pushing too hard towards the "we want this to be a miserable and almost unwinable experience" and I just don't have any desire to play games like that these days.

Extras. I mostly got the BTA for Guerrilla, as I already had Desperados from a previous giveaway. (And it turns out I already had Black Mirror, but I'm not sure from where EDIT: Ah, from the previous Nordic Games bundle.)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zero-Crescent, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive -- MB-9606BAE1BD4DA9B1 - Taken by bigzgod. 8 entrants total.
Black Mirror -- MB-3AEC145B8DA5334C - Taken by PunishedSnake. 1 entrants total.

t1444330017z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Mystery Stuff -- MB-FBF87AE7AE7BA98E - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.

t1444330497z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is Chaser a fun old game or a bad old game
I loved Chaser back in the day. Not sure how it holds up today.
Random question time for SteamGAF:

For GTX cards, is MSI a decent/respected manufacturer? Saw newegg had a MSI GTX 970 for ~$300 and was considering it just to get the 9xx upgrade bug out of my system.

If I were to purchase that 970 and dump my GTX 770 2gb, what could I ask for it over in the B/S/T?
MSI is a good vendor. And their 970 performs at the top of 970s among benches.

Good choice BUT as a jump from a 770 I would hold back. At least until the next Nvidia cards come out. It's only one model difference and not even double the RAM
(I know you care about that a lot)

rtcn63

You don't have a ~400w PSU by any chance? The MSI is one of the hungrier variants, particularly when overclocked. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

I've seen 770's go for $150-ish.

zkylon

zkylewd
U don't have to convince me about that, persona 3 is probably top 5 if not 3 for me

It's just, like, what will be life like after I'm done with it

It's like the satoshi kon movies. After I watched em all and paranoia agent, I felt so empty, like I ran out of something great

Life's tough y'all

C4rter

Is Chaser a fun old game or a bad old game

It has huge maps (with rather little value), it's very, very long and it's hours and hours of the same game play. Shooting, bullet time, many weapons.
I really liked it back in the day but I found it a bit tiresome when I started replaying it a year ago or so. But if you are currently into old school shooters and you don't know Chaser, it could be cool.

Silent Storm is still a game no one has followed up by making an equal or better game. Tremendous potential there. I wish someone at least tried... (or have I missed some recent indie game?)

The memories I had of Silent Storm were better than what it was when I played it recently. The controls are weird and I tried to understand the mechanics, but in the end I switched to another turn based game.
But you are right, the general concept deserves a new game.

Lomax

Good choice BUT as a jump from a 770 I would hold back. At least until the next Nvidia cards come out. It's only one model difference and not even double the RAM

Yeah I can't see buying a 970 at this point. I really wanted one last fall, but a year later they are still basically the same price and we can't be that far from a new line. Hopefully we get a "1070" that is in the same price range and a decent step up in power within the next few months. Though the success of the 970 may have nVidea resting on their laurels for a bit.

Dr Dogg

Go EVGA or go home. Yes I am a slobbering fanboy of theirs but their warranty is second to none.

ASUS are great with customer support in the US but really shit in Europe and is largely dependent on where you made your purchase how lucky you'll get.

Gigabyte have upped their game the last couple of years and do direct support and RMAs now but I had a nightmare with a motherboard RMA.

MSI Lightnings are usually very good cards but don't know what their support is like.

vermadas

Every time I see this game pop up I get Paint It Black stuck in my head. Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime gets the BNL song of the similar title running in my head all the time too.

I have this on Gear VR. It's a fantastic local multiplayer game, and, though it was mostly designed to be played with one person using a VR headset, it should be a fine experience without as well; provided that the people helping the defuser can't/don't look at the screen.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Vuze, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex The Fall -- MB-8B1D705E9FFBD208 - Taken by Benedict. 15 entrants total.
Overture -- MB-30979DF1F1B7BBBD - Taken by chronomac. 5 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Postal -- MB-37AEB602DD5F5C9A - Taken by criesofthepast. 4 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for ChargeShot failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

t1444334217z1.png

Sober

I have this on Gear VR. It's a fantastic local multiplayer game, and, though it was mostly designed to be played with one person using a VR headset, it should be a fine experience without as well; provided that the people helping the defuser can't/don't look at the screen.
Loved it when I tried it on VR. I can only assume it runs reasonably well on laptops? Seems like the easiest way to play it local short of owning a VR headset but still portable to bring mostly anywhere. Other option would be the voice chat the other player in.

Every time I see this game pop up I get Paint It Black stuck in my head. Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime gets the BNL song of the similar title running in my head all the time too.

You aren't the only one. I can even hear Steven Page signing "Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime" instead of just time.

It'd be double my current VRAM and I'd be able to play AK without low textures.

@ $300 plus selling my old card (nobody answered what I could ask for that yet?) and selling the uplay key for Rainbow Six/Syndicate should get me $20-$30 maybe off the price as well. It's currently a $50 discount, which is why I'm even considering it.

Not sure if my current nVidia drivers are to blame, but I've been seeing a lot of FPS drops in KF2 lately, which I'm not a fan of. 970 might let me get away with playing a bunch of games I have on the "wait for gpu upgrade for 1080p60" list too.

Dr Dogg

Read their 970s have coilwhine.

GigaByte and ASUS I can also recommend. MSI's 970 was the best price despite being very high at benches, so I got lucky.

Any card can be susceptible to coilwhine (which is really a term that gets used for a lot of issues) and it's largely misunderstood by a lot of people. The more complicated the circuitry gets on GPUs with the amount of caps and chokes on boards these days the more common it's becoming. I've have PSUs, mobos and GPUs that all squeal but underload not enough to get on my nerves. Your PC is essentially a bit box of interfearance that potential can have 2 or more components that don't get along all because they operate at just slightly different frequencies.

Hahaha awesome!

Anyone have experience with utilizing multiple steam libraries/junction points/steam mover?

Looking into building a new PC and the setup I'd have would be a 250GB SSD with a 1TB HDD. And not everything I'd want installed would necessarily fit on the SSD. Just wondering what the best solution would be.

vermadas

Anyone have experience with utilizing multiple steam libraries/junction points/steam mover?

Looking into building a new PC and the setup I'd have would be a 250GB SSD with a 1TB HDD. And not everything I'd want installed would necessarily fit on the SSD. Just wondering what the best solution would be.

Steam now lets you pick the drive you want to install to. If you're trying to move already installed games, Steam mover is the best option. It moves the files and runs the junction commands for you.

Install Steam itself on the SSD.

Teeth

Steam allows you to use multiple hard drives natively now.

The only time you'd really need to use Steam mover is if you were swapping stuff between drives a lot.

I personally use 3 different hard drives (a 64 SSD, 128 SSD, and a 750 platter drive) for my Steam games and have had zero problems. I've also used Steam mover with zero issues, but that was before Steam allowed you to choose which hard drive you wanted to install a game on.

gelf

PC Gamer staff has posted their secret shames. There's stuff like "I hate MP", "I hate SP", "I don't care about FPS, unless it's below 30", "I like hand-holding", "I hate reading in games" lol etc

I'm pleasantly surprised by how reasonable most of the comments are to this article. Only saw one "how can these people review our games!?!" comment. Especially in a PC gaming article that mentions someone being fine with 30fps. Maybe the worst is buried though.

I'm agreed with disliking Diablo, and not caring about multiplayer or 30fps. The others are more situation dependent. The spatial awareness one is interesting for me as I absolutely don't want to be treated like a child but I do have a bad sense of direction. But I think all it does is make me require tight level design rather then casualised games. I notice some people who wish Dark Souls had a map and and yet I can find my way in Souls games pretty easily as the level design is very solid. I'm horrible in open worlds with lots of copy paste assets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom