• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

there used to be nuance to gaf's discussions. it feels like something is either garbage or the greatest thing ever these days.

I miss when gaf was a smaller community and drive-by shitty posters with poorly thought out opinions got shat on. but maybe gaf was never that way and im just being an old crank

Your favorite video game is shit.

Your second and third favorite video game is shit as well.

Everything you like is shit.

It's time again. What disappointments could the next Humble Bundle be?

Still waiting on that Humble Resident Evil Bundle.

Hektor

Not good? Even ignoring the unhealthy amount of GAF hype based on it being a PS4 exclusive I got the impression it's a pretty solid game.

The game was fairly enjoyable up to a certain point, but then goes gradually downhill from there in most departments. Add a terrible Framerate of <25 FPS and some (Intentionally) annyoing characters to that.

I think solid describes it well, because despite its flaws, its not absolute garbage. But seeing all the other games in my backlog, i certainly could've spent the time better.

JaseC will love the game tho, despite it beeing basically a 10 hour long telltale adventure, it still manages to contain around 200 Collectibles.

i mean okay but why?

people are doing a shit job backing their opinions if they even bother at all. I just made a thread about a film i recently watched and while i don't mind people not liking it at least explain why. you think its garbage. It adds nothing to the discussion if youre just going to come in, post ITS GARBAGE and then just leave.

MUnited83

For you.
Not good? Even ignoring the unhealthy amount of GAF hype based on it being a PS4 exclusive I got the impression it's a pretty solid game.

It is actually pretty good. Was much better than anything by Telltale, and it's actually pretty competent at representing several different kinds of horror themes/tropes. It's a great love letter the horror genre, and I'd recommend it.

Milamber

TxjrHfG.gif

i mean okay but why?

people are doing a shit job backing their opinions if they even bother at all. I just made a thread about a film i recently watched and while i don't mind people not liking it at least explain why. you think its garbage. It adds nothing to the discussion if youre just going to come in, post ITS GARBAGE and then just leave.
Some (not all) prominent FilmGAF users do that in random movie threads, either post some very short responses, or just piggyback off some other drive-by posts with another short response.

Hektor

It is actually pretty good. Was much better than anything by Telltale, and it's actually pretty competent at representing several different kinds of horror themes/tropes. It's a great love letter the horror genre, and I'd recommend it.

Actual spoilers
Its kinda funny that you write that, because thats exactly what i disliked about it.
Instead of having one consistent tone, it started shifting the moment the wendigos were introduced, trying to get as much different horror genres into the game as possible, including even the biggest cliches like ancient burial grounds, evil experiments and collapsed mines. Admittetely most of that has been foreshadowed from the beginning, but never really became an important topic until that moment.

It felt less like an actual horrorgame and more like a parody to me, similar to Cabin in the Woods.

Lain

there used to be nuance to gaf's discussions. it feels like something is either garbage or the greatest thing ever these days.

I miss when gaf was a smaller community and drive-by shitty posters with poorly thought out opinions got shat on. but maybe gaf was never that way and im just being an old crank

Discussion quality used to be better overall with more well thought out posts to back one's opinion, though there was a lot of noise as well (the thing is best/worst thing ever was still present). It's just that troll posts quality used to be better and when people started throwing insults at each other, Vennt came around gifting bans.

I think i f-ed up my X360 gamepad when i tried to change broken analog :( MS made those soldering connectors really fragile.

sorry buddy. I've been thinking of moving on from my 360 pad myself as the right thumbstick is starting to drift a bit to the right. I have a couple of xb1 pads, thinking of making one my new PC pad and just getting a really long USB cable for it,

chronomac

yuraya

i mean okay but why?

Tbh I think people on the internet in general are way too harsh with films. Some take the bashing and hating too far. A movie is just like a 10$ ticket and 2 hours of your time. People can't accept it as mindless fun for some reason. Everyone expects oscar worthy acting and directing from every film they watch. Its kind of unrealistic.

Turfster

hmm not sure if anything has changed but last time I tried the game you just need to log into gfwl and the game still works

This is a lie, the GFWL login keeps infinite looping for me.

You can grab a patched xlive.dll from PCGW that circumvents it, apparently.

Still, fuck EA and Microsoft for not fucking neutering that shit themselves.
(Or PCF, whoever has the rights now)

I wasn't here back when GAF was a smaller community but I see what you mean about it nowadays. In that Witcher 3 is the best game ever thread people were claiming that games like GTAV and Resident Evil 4 were flawless. It is impossible for games to be flawless, the idea that no real discussion can be had with those sorts of opinions is a real shame. Also I claimed Burnout Paradise was my favourite open world game and got laughed at, so my favourite game does suck I guess.

Phawx

Hey fellas, episode 1 Beginner's guide to RPG Maker MV (feat. SteamGAF RPG) is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX0X01yrHG8

I got sidetracked like crazy trying to get the character generator working. Someone left a comment that I have to export him, but for the love all that is holy, I don't see an export option.

Anyhoo, this is just a quick tour of the interface and a brief synopsis of the the small work I did after abandoning the character generator problem I had for hours on-end.

Anteater

This is a lie, the GFWL login keeps infinite looping for me.

Why would I lie to you turfster, I was playing it just fine! I remember for gfwl you have to download and install the client instead of using the built-in one, that one.. never works, maybe it's dead now though it's been a few months since I tried.

TWD, finally! The prices better not be shit! Taiwanese store price matches the US, yet some publishers still implements region lock, idiots.

[Insert Leafhopper's obligatory post about the Xbox One controller being awesome, wink wink.]

Is the xbox one controller plug and play like the 360 one or is there any finagling I need to do in order to get it operational? I haven't upgraded to win10 yet if that matters and am still on win7. I've been thinking of grabbing another controller as the 360 one I use is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Jawmuncher

Is the xbox one controller plug and play like the 360 one or is there any finagling I need to do in order to get it operational? I haven't upgraded to win10 yet if that matters and am still on win7. I've been thinking of grabbing another controller as the 360 one I use is getting a bit long in the tooth.

On windows 7 I used it just like a 360 controller.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hey fellas, episode 1 Beginner's guide to RPG Maker MV (feat. SteamGAF RPG) is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX0X01yrHG8

I got sidetracked like crazy trying to get the character generator working. Someone left a comment that I have to export him, but for the love all that is holy, I don't see an export option.

Anyhoo, this is just a quick tour of the interface and a brief synopsis of the the small work I did after abandoning the character generator problem I had for hours on-end.

Your voice...

I wasn't here back when GAF was a smaller community but I see what you mean about it nowadays. In that Witcher 3 is the best game ever thread people were claiming that games like GTAV and Resident Evil 4 were flawless. It is impossible for games to be flawless, the idea that no real discussion can be had with those sorts of opinions is a real shame. Also I claimed Burnout Paradise was my favourite open world game and got laughed at, so my favourite game does suck I guess.

I still have burnout paradise in my backlog as ive been hoping that they bring the big surf island stuff to PC either officially or via that mod. I might just play my complete PS3 version instead, though. Backlogs, man

You install the drivers and that's it. my ancient laptop had zero issues recognizing it afterwards, it works like a dream

Yo, Is Telltale not bringing Tom Wilson over to the PC version of BTTF or what the fuck

Turfster

I still have burnout paradise in my backlog as ive been hoping that they bring the big surf island stuff to PC either officially or via that mod. I might just play my complete PS3 version instead, though. Backlogs, man
EA doing something for a game that's not part of the latest financial quarter?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Big Surf is decent but the base game is fantastic regardless. Don't hold off, man. Paradise is a phenomenal game. I've played maybe 200 hours across three platforms. Some would call it the best open world game ever.

Just me though

On Windows 7 you need to download the XB1 driver from MS's site. Windows 10 it's supported.

Going to instal Wasteland 2 DC later. Been playing Quarries of Scred (which I won here) quite frequently. Brutally difficult procedural roguelike, but it's very fun for me.

Big Surf is decent but the base game is fantastic regardless. Don't hold off, man. Paradise is a phenomenal game. I've played maybe 200 hours across three platforms. Some would call it the best open world game ever.

Just me though

I really enjoyed that game. I still have it installed too. But the only reason is because both of my sons still enjoy taking it for a spin.

Deitus

It's a shame, because at least in my memory, GAF was a place where respectful and well reasoned debate was encouraged, which set it apart from most other gaming message boards where everything was just trolling and angrily yelling at people for different opinions. There was still trolling and poor reasoned debates on GAF back then, but I don't remember it dominating so much of the discussion. Maybe that was rose tinted glasses, and maybe GAF just looked better in comparison to other sites, but that was definitely a big factor in why I signed up for the site, and even why I lurked here before signing up.

And that aspect is not totally gone. There is still better moderation here than most sites, and there is at least room for healthy debate, even if it is interspersed with driveby trolling. I don't know if the site just got big where the degree of moderation that was there before just isn't possible anymore, or if it's just selective memory on my part, but I don't remember feeling so averse to discussing opinions on the Gaming board as I am now (Off Topic was always kind of a shit show, but there continue to be good discussions there still).

You do see a bit of poor behavior in this thread as well, but I think the community effect in this thread makes people less likely to treat each other like literal garbage.

It's a shame, because at least in my memory, GAF was a place where respectful and well reasoned debate was encouraged, which set it apart from most other gaming message boards where everything was just trolling and angrily yelling at people for different opinions. There was still trolling and poor reasoned debates on GAF back then, but I don't remember it dominating so much of the discussion. Maybe that was rose tinted glasses, and maybe GAF just looked better in comparison to other sites, but that was definitely a big factor in why I signed up for the site, and even why I lurked here before signing up.

And that aspect is not totally gone. There is still better moderation here than most sites, and there is at least room for healthy debate, even if it is interspersed with driveby trolling. I don't know if the site just got big where the degree of moderation that was there before just isn't possible anymore, or if it's just selective memory on my part, but I don't remember feeling so averse to discussing opinions on the Gaming board as I am now (Off Topic was always kind of a shit show, but there continue to be good discussions there still).

You do see a bit of poor behavior in this thread as well, but I think the community effect in this thread makes people less likely to treat each other like literal garbage.

That was a major reason for my joining and lurking prior to joining as well.

Just me though

It isn't just you. Still my favorite game of its type. Though Forza Horizon 2 is close. If it had takedowns and stunts...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Deitus, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Deitus, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Tales of Zestiria -- MB-8C44FAAFBCF2BEC7 - Taken by Zero-Crescent. 104 entrants total.

t1444791491z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom