• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corpekata

Banned
There should be a game where you get to just judge nerdy stuff for whether it is truly a game, RPG, "real nerd", etc these days given how many people love to take up the mantle of gatekeeper for this sort of stuff.

Game of the Year goes to your favorite game of the year, not the game you deem to be the most representative of what games should be.

It's fine for your own personal game of the year to need to meet specific criteria, and my criteria is pretty similar to yours. But it's a bit silly to try to impose those rules on other people's games of the year, or to be upset that the have different criteria than you.

With the importance people give to GOTY winners of certain sites I don't think it's silly to think about some criteria.

If people think TotB is theirs, great. If people vote and TotB wins, still fine with me (even though I'd lose faith in you all a bit). And I'm not upset, I don't care about GOTY at all and don't even have one myself, just having some discussion. :)

Hektor

There should be a game where you get to just judge nerdy stuff for whether it is truly a game, RPG, "real nerd", etc these days for how many people love to take up the mantle of gatekeeper for this sort of stuff.

There is a very lovely steam curator called game police, who is making fun of that.

http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6859533-The-Game-Police/

I love him.

dECTfcz.png

Deitus

With the amount of weight people give to GOTY winners of certain sites I don't think it's silly to think about some criteria.

I'd argue that the silly thing is assigning weight to these things in the first place. ;)

If people think TotB is theirs, great. If people vote and TotB wins, still fine with me (even though I'd lose faith in you all a bit). And I'm not upset, I don't care about GOTY at all and don't even have one myself, just having some discussion. :)

And that's fair. I suppose I misinterpreted your point. The discussion just seemed to be getting a lot more heated that it should for a simple "my opinion on the best game is different" between rational adults, but I guess it was just a miscommunication.

Teeth

Game vs. Experience

Round 1,000,001

FIGHT

But seriously, I really like The Walking Dead and all that, but if we want to have words with definitions (which can be wholly individual to each person), I call them all video games but some are more experiences (feeling) than games (accomplishing/winning). But it's really just symantics.

That said, Rashomon on DVD has the greatest video game story of all time.

Knurek

So non-games should win?

There are tons of fantastic choices this year which aren't AAA but still games :p

Hey, Tales of the Borderlands is a competent fighting game.
And has better character development than just about any other game released in 2015 that isn't called Witcher 3.

Speaking of, done with it, game #104 of the year and a very strong contender to the GOTY title. I wish all Telltale games were this good, and I kind of want them doing more comedy instead of drama from now on, it's clear they work better on things that end with a happy end.

Dr Dogg

Alright let's take teeth's idea and run with it. Say I make a DVD with 10 scenes. These scenes are from a single film but are arranged out of order. There is a direct play option which plays them in a jumbled order or an option to pick one to start and then at then end of that scene a menu to pick the next scene to play. This continues, omitting previously played scenes until you've play each of them. Is this a DVD, a game, both or neither?

Deitus

Alright let's take teeth's idea and run with it. Say I make a DVD with 10 scenes. These scenes are from a single film but are arranged out of order. There is a direct play option which plays them in a jumbled order or an option to pick one to start and then at then end of that scene a menu to pick the next scene to play. This continues, omitting previously played scenes until you've play each of them. Is this a DVD, a game, both or neither?

It could be a game, in the sense that trying to piece together a story told out of order is a puzzle.

I don't think it would be a very enjoyable way to experience a story though.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Is this the part where you namedrop Her Story?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

OWYS -- MB-A41EAD59097EBA22 - Taken by Loptous
Lost Moon -- MB-E55211A5747EEAAB - Taken by GERGiEV

meebo

Teeth

This is a video game. It's also closer to a "game" than an experience type of video game because it requires intuition and basically has a win state (correct play through).

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finished up Ballpoint Universe. I really enjoyed the shmup parts; they were forgiving (i.e., you can get hit, but just don't lose a life), but still fairly challenging. The platforming physics were straight up bullshit. I was trying to play the game entirely with a mouse (which is doable for the most part), but I had to switch to keyboard controls for some of those sections, but even then I still had problems sometimes. The economy was terrible too; you'll never get enough money to buy all of the ship parts, especially the high tier ones. I lucked out and got 40,000 on my first try of gambling, which let me purchase some of the most expensive gear, but on a normal playthrough, you're definitely going to be stuck with starter/mid tier equipment.

In the end though, I still thought it was fun. I'd recommend trying it out, especially since it seems like a lot of steam gaf has it.

Aerocrane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hwuJ4nAcM

Tizoc/Ozium alert: I just discovered this.

It seems trashy enough, I'll give it a try.

But it's artist's crap because it's by Miike, so it could be a so bad so good. Maybe. Eventually.

The action is good, but the plot is very loosely tied to the game. In general the movie's plot is kinda bad. It's a mess of several subplots that only come together in the end of the movie, if at all. It's a decent watch if you are a fan of the series, but I'd say it's one of Miike's worst movies.

Ludens

Banned
The action is good, but the plot is very loosely tied to the game. In general the movie's plot is kinda bad. It's a mess of several subplots that only come together in the end of the movie, if at all. It's a decent watch if you are a fan of the series, but I'd say it's one of Miike's worst movies.

I'm a fan of Miike and of Yakuza too. But...I didn't watch all his movies, because some of them...are simply way too extreme for my taste.

Uzzy

Yes. The player is presented with a series of choices as to which order to view the scenes in. It may not be a very good game, but it still counts.

Her Story does something along those lines, and works exceedingly well.

Dr Dogg

This is a video game. It's also closer to a "game" than an experience type of video game because it requires intuition and basically has a win state (correct play through).

Who says there's a correct way to assemble the scenes? Who says your interpolation of the order is more complete or right than mine? Only rules I've set are you can play my version or assemble your own. This was very similar to an editing exercise we were set for a media studies assignment about story flow and how altering the elements can give different results.

Aerocrane

I'm a fan of Miike and of Yakuza too. But...I didn't watch all his movies, because some of them...are simply way too extreme for my taste.

Well extreme violence isn't an issue in that movie, but you should probably not watch it since the plot structure makes it annoying since some subplots seem to be in the movie just because they'd filmed it so it needed to be included.

Teeth

Who says there's a correct way to assemble the scenes? Who says your interpolation of the order is more complete or right than mine? Only rules I've set are you can play my version or assemble your own. This was very similar to an editing exercise we were set for a media studies assignment about story flow and how altering the elements can give different results.

That's why I said the Rashomon DVD is the best video game story of All time.

Ludens

Banned
Well extreme violence isn't an issue in that movie, but you should probably not watch it since the plot structure makes it annoying since some subplots seem to be in the movie just because they'd filmed it so it needed to be included.

No I was talking about movies like Visitor Q I totally skipped after reading the summary on Wikipedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom